Good news, Rooks: Spring is here! Let’s celebrate the end of cacadoody winter with a butterfly wing manicure that pays tribute to this glorious season AND is surprisingly easy to do! Just make sure you have a good nail art striper and Mariah Carey’s Butterfly album playing in the background. I know, you’re like, “How many times will Marie make us listen to Mariah Carey while we do our nails???” The answer is ONE MILLION! ::witch’s cackle:: Ready babes?
What you’ll need:
- A clear base coat. I used Crystal Clear Base Coat by Seche Clear.
- A clear top coat. Mine is Glisten & Glow’s HK Girl Super Shiny & Fast Drying Top Coat.
- Two nail polishes in the colors of your choice! I used a pretty plum shade called Flowerista by Essie and a berry-hued glitter polish called Second Base by Floss Gloss.
- A black nail striper like Milani’s Nail Art With Precision Brush in Black Sketch.
- A white nail striper. I used Milani’s Nail Art With Precision Brush in White Canvas.
- Polish remover and cotton swabs or a nail art brush to clean up mistakes.
How to do it:
Apply clear base coat to every fingernail, which will help protect your nails from discoloration from the polish. Wait about a minute, then paint your nails with the base color of your choosing. I started with Essie’s Flowerista, then put Floss Gloss’s Second Base glitter polish over it to give it a li’l pizzaz.
Let your base color/s dry for a couple of minutes, then use your black striper to draw and color in an arch on the top of each fingernail.
With your black striper, draw a slanted line near the base of each nail.
Still using the black striper, draw four lines connecting the top arch to the slanted line near the base of the nail. Repeat on all fingers.
Using your white striper, lightly dab polka dots over the top arch of each nail. Let the polishes set for a couple minutes, then paint every nail with clear top coat. Clean up any polish that may have gotten on your fingers with a cotton swab or nail art brush dipped in polish remover.
Now you have butterfly wings on your nails! LOOK AT U, NATURE GODDESS OF SPRING! ♦