Fun

How to Press Flowers

A pretty floral keepsake that you don’t even have to water.

Recently, I visited Emma D. in her hometown near the Polish seaside. We walked along the shore, ate pizza with the sauce on top and the cheese underneath (!), and spent an afternoon in her grandmothers’s garden, picking strawberries. While we hung out in the yard, we also made this li’l pressed-flower DIY! —Monika

What you’ll need:

• An assortment of fresh flowers.
• (Optional: a little snail to watch over them.)
• Tissues.
• A thick book you’re not afraid to mess up.
• A notebook or paper.
• Optional: Glue, a ribbon, a picture frame.

How to do it:

Step One:

Pick some flowers! I like thin and branchy wildflowers best, since they dry quickly and look really elegant when they’re dry. They’re also FREE! The kind I’m holding, a mlecz, is a kind of dandelion that grows everywhere in Poland.

Step Two:

Fold your tissue in half vertically and tuck it into the spine of your book like an extra page.

Step Three: Trim the flower’s stem shorter if needed, then place it on the tissue.

Step Four:

Push gently on the center of your flower and splay the petals out so the entire bloom is showing.

Step Five: This step is a bit tricky. Carefully, while still holding the flower in place, fold the tissue over your hand, then fold the book’s cover over that, removing your hand quickly (but not so quickly that you disturb the flower!) as you close the book.

We picked so many different kinds of flowers! We wanted to show you all of them, so we pressed a wee bouquet as well. If you’d like to preserve a few flowers at a time, tie a bunch together with a separate stem and repeat the steps described above.

Step Six:

Now that you have your flower(s) tucked in all cozy-like, put some more weight on your book. You can do this by stacking another thick volume on top and waiting a day or two, but I’ve found that sitting on my book for a few hours as I go about other business is quicker.

While we’re waiting, let us tell you about the most delicious thing ever: poziomki, tiny wild strawberries that grow all over Emma’s grandma’s garden. They taste like candy and melt your mouth!

Step Eight:When your flower(s) are dry and crisp, remove them from the book and tissue (carefully, since they’ll be very fragile).

Step Nine:

If you want to preserve your flower(s) on paper or in a notebook, dab a tiny drop of glue on each flower and a thin line on its stem before pressing it gently onto your desired surface.

Pressed flowers look lovely added to art pieces, as evidenced by this collage by Emma!

If you want to make a hanging decoration with your flowers, glue them to a piece of paper (as demonstrated in our last step) and frame them, or just press them between the glass and the frame’s backing.

Here’s one of ours on her grandmother’s cottage wall.

Your pressed-flower bouquet can also make a sweet little present! Gently tie a ribbon around it and give it to a friend you love.

No matter what you do with yours, We’re sure it’s going to look lovely! ♦

• Naomi August 12th, 2014 7:23 PM

this is the sweetest ever

• emseely August 12th, 2014 7:43 PM

this made me very happy. brb going to pick some flowers~

• Ally_O August 12th, 2014 9:21 PM

Earlier this summer I interned at a day care center. One of the kids picked some wildflowers and gave them to me. I pressed them in my journal (nowhere near as nicely as this), and they’re a beautiful keepsake. Now I really want to press some flowers using this method!

• taratwinkle August 12th, 2014 10:27 PM

So, so lovely.

• mangointhesky August 13th, 2014 4:03 AM

These are so lovely!!!

• Jane-Eyre August 13th, 2014 6:07 AM

Yay spring is so close now and I can’t wait to do this!

shineongolddustwoman.blogspot

• Tiana August 13th, 2014 12:13 PM

This is the loveliest article ever. I’m definitely going to make a few to put on my wall :)
    Tiana

• Alabastrowa August 13th, 2014 1:44 PM

Love this article <3
    I've got framed flowers in my bedroom. They are very old (I found them in my granny's house) but still beautiful.

• FlowerPower August 13th, 2014 2:42 PM

lovelovelove! Dziekuje za ten piekny DIY! Witam z Chicago i bardzo tesknie za Polske (i moja babcie) mam nadzieje ze za rok bede mogla przyjsc :)
    ~Caroline~ (Karolina)

• alesssurprise August 14th, 2014 1:21 PM

<33333333

• Razan August 20th, 2014 11:09 PM

I’m honestly sad that we dont have flowers growing around the area (since i live in a desert!), but i’ll press some leaves and branches and see how it ends up. Wish me luck?