Everything else

How to Make Your Own Deodorant

A DIY that’s no sweat.

I hoard beauty and body products like my life depends on it, but sometimes it’s nice to make your own. When I came across this recipe for homemade deodorant, I immediately scoured my house for the ingredients and got to mixing.

The heady promise that I could make my OWN unique fragrance reeled me right in—who wants to smell like Spring Rain and Fresh Flowers all their life when they can create their own intoxicating scent? I wondered, though: Would DIY deodorant actually work?

Realtalk: I’ve been known to sweat rivers, and I wasn’t too keen on airing out my B.O. But, with some scent-based modifications, the lovely deodorant I concocted stanched my skepticism AND my armpit-related effusions! If you’d like to make your own, step into your laboratory (or kitchen) and get cooking!

What you’ll need:

IMG_5278

• ½ cup room-temperature coconut oil.
• ¼ cup baking soda.
• ¼ cup cornstarch.
• An all-natural essential oil (or two!) for fragrance. This can be anything you want—I used this lemon eucalyptus oil from Aura Cacia.
• Two medium-size mixing bowls.
• A spoon.
• An empty jar.
• Optional: 2 tablespoons of a second moisturizer. (I used shea butter.)

How to do it:

Step One:

IMG_5283

Mix the baking soda and cornstarch together in one of your bowls. This is the miraculous powder that will help curb your sweat!

Step Two:

IMG_5286

Pour the powder mixture and coconut oil into the other bowl.

Step Three (Optional):

IMG_5294

If you decide to add another moisturizer, throw that in the bowl too. I like adding shea butter to give my pits the extra hydration they need after I shave, but it’s totally not necessary! The formula will be fine without it.

Step Four:

IMG_5302

Add as many drops of your essential oil(s) as you want. (I put in about 20 drops.) If you want an exact measurement, try starting with ¼ of a teaspoon, then add more if you want more fragrance.

Step Five:

IMG_5308

Mix the delicious-smelling batter with a spoon, making sure it’s nice and smooth. Note: If you included shea butter in your recipe, you’ll have to put a little extra muscle in to get out the lumps.

Step Six:

IMG_5312

Spoon the concoction into a glass jar or any other clean, empty container with a top. Your packaging doesn’t have to be super fancy—I found this nifty jar in the dollar section of Target!

Step Seven:

IMG_5319

Stick your new deodorant in the fridge overnight to harden.

Step Eight (Optional):

IMG_5322

If you want to add some pizazz (pit-zazz?), decorate your jar with Sharpie art or glitter.

Ta-da! You’ve got yourself some customized homemade deo! Keep it somewhere cool so it doesn’t melt, apply a thin layer to your underarms with your fingers as needed, and walk around with your armpits held high, knowing you’re the most magical-smelling Rook in the game! ♦

• cairanic August 14th, 2014 3:41 PM

How do you apply it? With your fingers? Or like a regular stick, by rubbing the end of the jar all ova?

• Amy Rose August 14th, 2014 4:21 PM

With your fingers! I’ll make a note of this at the end, me babe.

• Katy August 14th, 2014 4:03 PM

Nice, I’m gonna have to try this soon! Now to figure out how to emulate the scent of Denali Old Spice…

• NotReallyChristian August 14th, 2014 6:15 PM

As I know from trying a bunch of eco-friendly deodorants, putting baking soda on my underarms makes them red, itchy and peel-y, which is totally gross. Lots of people obviously don’t have this problem, but be aware that this might happen if you have sensitive pits! It usually takes a week or two of using the product for it to appear, and it goes away once you switch to something else. It sucks for me because I’d love to make this recipe! But I also enjoy having skin under my arms, soooo …

• ghostgurl August 14th, 2014 8:05 PM

holy guacamole batman! Hold the phone!
    This is actually hella relevant and I was looking for eco-friendly/natural deo options (never used deo before cos ya know, lots of weird health probs that r associated with it lol) but this looks great! I’m trying this!

(also how do you guys always post super relevant stuff when I need it omg)

• bearmustard August 14th, 2014 9:00 PM

How much coconut oil? The same amount as shea butter? If you don’t use shea butter, is that replaced with coconut oil?

• Amy Rose August 15th, 2014 8:39 AM

Chanel uses half of a cup, which I adjusted above. And you don’t have to, babe. Thanks!

• rorygilmore August 15th, 2014 7:02 AM

This is super! Also, I want to know how to make my armpits look as smooth as possible?

• Abby August 15th, 2014 11:38 AM

I started using almost this exact recipe a few weeks ago, and I swear it might be magic. It has worked better for me than any of those “clinical strength” type deodorants, and even though it’s not an antiperspirant, I barely notice the little bit of extra (non-smelly!) sweat. Seriously you guys try this and your life will be changed.

• Dessi August 15th, 2014 2:28 PM

I’ve been meaning to make this forever but always remember at the most inconvenient time.

(p.s. my website’s dazzledmag.com)

• Estelle August 16th, 2014 1:36 AM

PIT-ZAZZ

• Tiana August 18th, 2014 4:22 PM

Aww this is so cute, I’m Definitely going to try it :)
    Tiana x

• RubyCashy2002 September 3rd, 2014 9:33 PM

Hi I was wondering are there any other things you can use instead of essential oil, or shea butter? If there are then can you name em?