Eye Candy

Horizon Line

An ode to the Baltic Sea.

• CBM August 6th, 2014 11:19 PM

I can really relate to this! I live in FL on the water and was born and raised diving, fishing, and swimming in the ocean. When I went to school in the North East I really missed the warm waters and playing on the beach. It’s cool to think that though we live in such different places the sea is home to us both :) This was a beautiful collage

• anaisabel13 August 7th, 2014 12:33 AM

This is really, really beautiful! I love the horizon sketch on slide 5, especially.

• AlyshaS August 7th, 2014 12:45 AM

Emma,

Thank you for another amazing series. I am from Vancouver, BC and I get a similar longing for the ocean — the salty smell and cool breeze. I also find that I am strangely drawn to the colours of the sea, like deep blues and white caps. I wonder how our environment affects how we are attracted to colours, smells, vibez, etc.

Yours,
    Aly

• Elizabete August 7th, 2014 2:19 AM

Baltic Sea is beautiful.
    I live by it too – in Riga, well actually the nearest beach is some 10km from my home, but it still feels pretty near.
    Even if I can’t see the sea from my window, I think it would be hard to live inland. Maybe that’s why I plan to move to Vancouver for university next year.

Also, I always feel so happy when Rookie has those articles/diaries about places familiar to me, like the one about Jenny in Lithuania, now this about Baltic Sea.

• Karolina W August 7th, 2014 2:52 AM

Siema, rodaczko! :D

This couldn’t be more relatable! I’ m from Gdansk and last year I moved to Poznan for university. Always missing the breeze! thanks for the amazing collage :)

• shin o August 7th, 2014 4:24 AM

This is so beautiful. Both texts and pictures. ♒

• Alicja August 7th, 2014 4:54 AM

Hello from Poland :). When I was little, I spent every holidays with my parents by the Baltic Sea, good times…

• ImanK August 7th, 2014 4:54 AM

I live in a small swedish town and I relate to this so much! The baltic sea is what I think of when I think of home<3

• mangointhesky August 7th, 2014 5:49 AM

These are utterly beautiful and really inspiring- I especially loved 10!

• Pulsatilla August 7th, 2014 8:52 AM

Loved, loved, loved this.
    I also have grown up/live by the sea and every time I go inland I get phantom pains, though it took me some time to understand that what I really missed was the sea.

• Janinaloose August 7th, 2014 9:13 AM

I can relate so much. I live ten minutes away from the beach, and going there is always something I look forward to every time I come home. It’s such a familiar feeling and such a tradition that it’s surprising whenever anyone in town says they haven’t been to the beach for, say, a month.

• padlizsan August 7th, 2014 11:46 AM

Emma, this is perfect! I’m not a visual artist, but the sea crops up again and again in my songs. At one point I wanted to squash that and find more variety; now I think it’s just a part of me, and a part of how I think about things that are important to me.

Apparently English has a beautiful word that means dweller by the sea: paralian. I can’t remember how I stumbled upon it, since I know I’ve never heard it in conversation. But it’s lovely nonetheless.

• Rose August 7th, 2014 12:54 PM

This is me, too. <3

• pizzaface August 7th, 2014 4:21 PM

Rookie website peeps, a have an idea. maybe you should make the eye candy images smaller, so that you don’t have to scroll down all the time to see the rest of the picture, so that you just have the full thing on your screen.
    And when you click it, you get a bigger version!
    What ya think? Because I think it’s a pity that you can’t see the whole picture directly. Thanks!

• Celia Lo August 7th, 2014 6:05 PM

this is really really pretty <3<3<3

• SiLK August 10th, 2014 6:12 AM

One of my favourite posts <3

• Nia August 12th, 2014 6:52 AM

This is so beautiful Emma! Thank you

• AliceS August 12th, 2014 7:09 AM

I spent all my life in the same house and the sea is just 5 minutes down the street. I’ve finished my third year at university a month ago. I don’t like go to be beach, especially in summer, I avoid it. So when I moved I didn’t aspect to miss it. But I did. In Italy actually you are never really far away from the sea, but if you don’t see it, if you don’t taste his smell everyday, it’s like being in another world.

• elektraheart August 13th, 2014 3:32 AM

WOW –love all of them!

• Shriya August 18th, 2014 5:13 PM

Emma this is some of my favorite work by you. Really inspiring!

• blilyan August 23rd, 2014 6:11 AM

i almost teared up reading this … i really love it

• VagabondZombie September 1st, 2014 3:00 PM

I’ve always dreamed of living by the sea. One time, my family and I went on a vacation in an island and it was pretty awesome. It just seems so serene and peaceful. Like all my troubles in the world have been washed away.