Eye Candy

In the Market for a Cure

Searching for healing at Mexico City’s Mercado de Sonora. Words by Caitlin, photos by María Fernanda.

• inesc August 18th, 2014 3:45 PM

This reminds me so much of a street in Lima near the Santa Rosa church where they sell religious stuff, I’ve always loved that place. I think it’s especially amazing how religion and mythology come together on those shops.
    Xx Inés

• flours August 18th, 2014 7:27 PM

Such a mystic vibe to this album. These photos are so interesting and really tell a story..I especially love #8-10 <3 I like the idea of a self-care trip. A little healing and a little enchantment sounds like something anyone could benefit from

• aojackson August 19th, 2014 12:31 PM

I absolutely adore these photos, they look so eerie and I now desperately want to visit El Mercado de Sonora.

• Hedwig August 19th, 2014 1:46 PM

You know what would be glitterstarawesomesauce? If you had girls from their own hometowns make tourist maps/ultimate lists of sites to see and/or make videos mimicking Rick Steve going around to local sites and interviewing people for rookie travel! It would the ultimate guide to any city, small town, or cornfields!

• sonnentanz August 19th, 2014 2:31 PM

YES!! I love this idea! rookie travel would be so so so good! let’s make this happen rookies <3

• Amy Rose August 19th, 2014 3:06 PM

I’m so into this idea! I made my own for Rookie WAY BACK WHEN here. If you decide to make your own, email me at rushandpush@gmail.com! I would love to see it.

• Caitlin D. August 19th, 2014 3:43 PM

Yes yes yes! I want to see this happen too. Rad idea Hedwig :)

• Elsary August 19th, 2014 4:02 PM

This is quite possibly my favourite eye candy. The pictures are stunning: they are so unique and have managed to capture the whole feeling. I can almost hear people chatting and smell all the different herbs. Lights and shadows seem to move.
    And the story is wonderful. I love the fact that it’s a true story: it somehow makes this photo album even more magical. I enjoyed so much the small pieces of history there are, and how the whole trip was described. And maybe the best part is that we don’t get to know what really happened!
    Since I have strong obsession with Mexico, I want to travel there and see all of the country myself, I want it so bad! this didn’t help me – or maybe it helped just a bit. Because I really feel like I visited Mercado de Sonora. So thank you so much for making this, Caitlin D and María Fernanda. <3

• theatrelife2014 August 19th, 2014 5:45 PM

The story you tell in words along with your amazing photos is so interesting!

• _nymphet_ August 19th, 2014 10:25 PM

love it there, went last week! lovely pictures <3

• mangointhesky August 20th, 2014 2:14 AM

I have to go there (insert little star-eyed emojis)

• DymondMag August 21st, 2014 6:49 AM

wow this place looks amazing, I’d really love to visit Mexico