You Asked It

Oh! You Pretty Things

A list of stuff we love: fake eyelashes, easy makeup, cool haircuts, and cellulite.

Photo by Renata Raksha.

Photo by Renata Raksha.

I want to make my naturally curly hair into a voluminous halo like St. Vincent’s. How does she do that? Does it take a lot of teasing and hairspray? —Marge

We posed your question to Annie Clark, aka St. Vincent, herself, and here is what she said:

Honestly, I don’t know. It’s sort of a byproduct of naturally curly hair that is very damaged from bleaching (hence the texture), ineptitude, and laziness (i.e., irregular washing), sometimes combined with the skills of professional hairstylists on photo shoots. In [the picture above], for example, my hair was done by Pamela Neal, who is AMAZING, and cooler than anyone ever. Do you want me to put you in touch with her?

“Yes, please,” we responded, and soon enough this additional info arrived in our inbox, from that very same Pamela Neal!

Annie just about nailed that! Bleaching, coloring, or even perming your hair will thicken and harden each strand, giving it more volume and encouraging it to kind of stand away from your head instead of lying flat. If you don’t want to inflict that kind of damage on your hair, getting it cut in layers, then teasing it and using a firm-hold hairspray, will get you close to Annie’s lovely mop.

So there you have it! Expert halo-making advice from those in the know.

I have a pretty masculine style and haven’t been comfortable with the idea of wearing makeup until recently. I want to start playing around with it, but I have no clue what or what not to buy, and what or what not to do with it! What are some good products for beginners? —Cara, 15, Kansas City

Ooh, a true makeup newbie! Keeping in mind that you’re not super femme, I’d steer you toward four things: a facial moisturizer with SPF, a lip tint, blush, and a subtle mascara. All of these products are easy to apply and fun to play with, and great versions of each can likely be found dirt cheap at your local drugstore!

Clockwise from top left: Bronzer & Blusher Combo, $9; NYX; Tinted Lip Balm, $7, Burt's Bees; Clear Face Liquid Lotion Sunscreen , $10. Neutrogena; Essential Lengthening & Defining Mascara, $1,  e.l.f.

Clockwise from top left: Bronzer & Blusher Combo, $9, NYX Cosmetics; Tinted Lip Balm, $7, Burt’s Bees; Clear Face Liquid Lotion Sunscreen, $10.50, Neutrogena; Essential Lengthening & Defining Mascara, $1, e.l.f.

A tiny guide on how to use this stuff: With clean hands, smooth the moisturizer all over your face. The Neutrogena one above is non-comedogenic, meaning it allows your skin to BREATHE and is less likely than other kinds of creams to cause pimples. Since you’ve been comfortable going bare, you probably aren’t too worried about covering blemishes or evening out your skin tone, but if you’re bored, you could try a tinted moisturizer (with SPF!) like this one from e.l.f., which comes in a wide variety of shades. It’s only three bucks, so if you don’t like it, give it to a friend!

Next, use a blush brush or your fingers to blend on a blush-and-highlighter combo. The blush will give the apples of your cheeks (i.e., the parts that get roundest when you smile, which is where you apply it) some color; the highlighter goes along the tops of your cheekbones, from about mid-cheek to temple, and will enhance your bone structure. CoverGirl makes a good powder blush that includes a highlighter and a contour color—you can lightly apply the contour shade just below your cheek-apples if you’re feeling fancy.

While you’re over at CoverGirl, take a look at their Lipslicks, which give you just a touch of color while moisturizing your smackers. You do have to apply moisturizing lip tints/glosses more often than, like, a long-wearing lipstick, but they feel great on your lips, so you probably won’t mind.

To put on your new mascara, touch the wand to the underside of your top lashes, close to the roots. Then kinda wiggle the wand back and forth while you slowly drag the comb up to the tips of your lashes. (Here’s a good demonstration.) The one in the collage abovecomes in a nice brown that won’t feel too dramatic for people who aren’t used to wearing makeup (YOU, for example). Almay also makes these affordable mascaras in fun colors, if brown sounds blah.

Here I am before and after applying these four products:

JANE 4 PROD

Check out how subtle (but still noticeable!) the transformation is! —Jane Marie

1 2

• AwesomeFrances July 16th, 2014 12:17 AM

Amy Rose, you are an international treasure

• themisfitprincess July 16th, 2014 4:26 AM

“What are you, /a dumb old fish\?” Genius.

• sonnentanz July 16th, 2014 5:16 AM

amy rose I LOVE YOU

• Libby July 16th, 2014 5:34 AM

Amy Rose’s eyelashes are the things of dreams (as is her writing). I bought some false lashes for prom and then I was freaking out in front of the mirror (I look disgusting! My prom dress is awful! Why don’t I have a date?) and my hands were shaking too much to put the lashes on. Dumb. So now I’m just wearing them to go to the supermarket or lounge in a park for the afternoon.

also – I think cellulite looks pretty damn cool. I have some cellulite on my thighs and stretch marks on my lower back from a growth spurt and I think they look kind of magical. Like – here is my skin! Here is the power it has to adapt to my insides and make fantastical patterns on my skin. Embrace the weird skin patterns and scars!

• FatedToPretend July 22nd, 2014 1:43 AM

You just made me love cellulite and stretch marks, and the various patterns produced by our skins. Thanks :D

• damdayy July 16th, 2014 8:19 AM

I LOVE that this is a website where the authors post photos of their celulite/ work from their empty bathtubs.

• VagabondZombie July 16th, 2014 9:52 AM

I’ve always been in awe of Amy’s eye lashes. They suit her very well. However, whenever I wear false eyelashes it just looks weird and you can tell it’s definitely unnatural. Or maybe I was just using the wrong ones. :P Maybe Amy can make an entire article dedicated to lashes and what suits best and how one kind of lashes makes you look different from the other?

Also, cellulite and stretch marks are cool, man. Stretch marks look like you’ve been through some adventure and got hit by lightning and now you’ve got these awesome looking scars. Kinda like tiger print scars.

• Zoe July 17th, 2014 8:34 AM

I wish Amy Rose was my best friend

• Areeba July 17th, 2014 9:52 PM

I’m a beginner at make up because I used to HATE putting anything on my face but now I want to look some more pretty and do some make up stuff and I’m glad I found this little guide :)

• queensb July 26th, 2014 10:19 PM

Amy Rose is my lash-spiration (and blonde-spiration, and friend-spiration, just constant inspiring everywhere in all fields of everything -spiration) . I’ve been fixated with getting bigger and better lashes since my first tube of mascara. She has def inspired me to try and go faux next time I stop into the drugstore. much luvv