Dear Diary

July 9, 2014

Prom, piercings, and other rites of passage.

Ananda

Last Friday my school had its year 11 prom (that’s “junior prom” to you American types). And although the whole ordeal was very stressful and anxiety-provoking, I will admit that I ended up having a blast. It went like this:

3 PM  My best friend, Sophie, arrives at my house earlier than expected, so we apply face masks and watch an episode of Dexter

4:00  I start on Sophie’s hair. Sophie has a LOT of hair, so it takes just under an hour to curl it all.

4:50  My mum curls and styles my hair. It doesn’t take nearly as long.

5:00  Sophie’s mum arrives with Keir and Jellybean, our friends, who look beautiful and sophisticated. Sophie and I are still working on our makeup, provoking comments from the others about how long we were taking (which in my opinion wasn’t very long for such a momentous occasion). We slip into our dresses and our (very high) heels and admire ourselves in the mirror. Not bad, I think.

6:00  My dad takes our pictures out in the garden. He’s a teacher, but he’s so good at photography he could practically be a professional. He photographs us in pairs and as a group. In our high heels, Sophie, Jellybean, and I tower over Keir, but he doesn’t seem to mind.

7:00  We grab our bags, kiss our mothers goodbye, and head out the door. My dad drives us all to the venue, where it seems like half of our class is already there, staring at us.

8:00  At our table, we’re given orange juice in champagne glasses. The boys are given roses to give to the girls. Keir comes up and gives me and Sophie each a rose. Awwww.

10:00  Our three-course meal being served and eaten, we duck inside the photo booth to snap more pictures.

10:30  Dancing! (Not very good dancing, I should specify.)

11:00  My mum picks us up and takes us back to my house, where I change my shoes and pack an overnight bag.

Midnight  We go to Sophie’s dad’s flat. He’s away on holiday. We change into our pyjamas and have a discussion as to whether or not we should consume any alcohol.

1 AM  We consume alcohol.

1:30–3:00  We dance, I sing (a little too much), and we all say, over and over, how much we love one another.

3 AM  We fall asleep, exhausted and happy. ♦

1 2 3 4

• Me_Magalloway July 9th, 2014 7:56 PM

“…but even organized bookshelves and a pristine floor can’t distract me from the fact that my summer is whittling itself away.” Ha, that’s me.

• erinxo July 10th, 2014 2:24 AM

Lilly, I relate to what you wrote so much. I’m 22, barely leave the house anymore and have a list of things I want to do but I just let the days pass by.

• insanejane July 10th, 2014 7:03 AM

hey, i think the wikipedia link for the kites is not working (at least for me…)
    all my interest was on the diaries but just to let you know this!

I especially loved Lilly’s entry which feel so relevant for me at this period of summer’s beginning. Need to be active to be filled with adventures !

thank you for all those entries girls <3

• Elsary July 10th, 2014 8:01 AM

Caitlin, I love that realization! It’s beautiful, but it also tells and speaks so much.
    Britney, I can’t say I know how you feel, cos I don’t. But I felt something similar last year, when I turned fifteen. I’m sure you’ll remember the best of things. Happy birthday anyway!
    Lilly, you made me feel like I was there, flying that kite. And I have the same feeling/problem, about doing stuff.
    Ananda, that sounds really nice! I’m glad that you had good time :)

• sissiLOL July 10th, 2014 9:50 AM

I also want a prom but that doesn`t exist in Germany… :-/

• flingsgotoofast July 10th, 2014 1:38 PM

I relate to this sooo much, if I’m not careful I waste an entire week doing nothing. I’m usually in my room, or my sister’s, watching Netflix and drawing or painting the day away. I feel like my summer is wasting away but I also feel like there’s nothing I can do to save it. I currently have one friend who I genuinely like and I wish that I would have found more people that I like this year in school instead of wasting it dealing with people I don’t really care for. Hopefully I will be able to find something I actually like to make my summer worthwhile! Great article, like always xx

• Bex_cygnet July 10th, 2014 10:05 PM

Loved this week’s entry Lilly!