Dear Diary

July 2, 2014

We know what you’re going to do this summer (because you just told us).

Ananda

My best friend and I have created what we call “Ananda and Sophie’s Summer Bucket List.” It’s basically a list of things we want to do together before the end of the summer. So far we have eight things on the list, and we’ve achieved three of them.

1. Go to Bournemouth.
2. Go to Thorpe Park.
3. Go to our year 11 prom.
4. Get Sophie drunk.
5. Go camping.
6. Chocolate fondue.
7. Get our ears pierced.
8. Make at least two videos.

So far we’ve completed 1, 4, and 7. Getting our ears pierced was a pretty impulsive decision, as we hadn’t even thought about doing it before about one week earlier, when we’d been shopping at Claire’s and were overwhelmed by the dizzying array of earrings for sale.

We planned to get it done last Thursday, but when we got there we were informed that we needed some official form of identification or a parental chaperone. We were crestfallen, but we returned two days later with some official form of ID and Sophie’s mother and got beginner studs shot through our earlobes from an earring gun. If I really let myself think about it, it’s pretty ridiculous, impaling our body parts to try to look more beautiful/fashionable/what? I could go on forever about everything we’re expected to do to meet someone else’s beauty standards, but that’s a discussion for a different day. For now, my main point is: Our ears look pretty.

At the end of this week, we’ll cross off item number 3, which will place us solidly halfway through our list. It’s weird to compare this summer to last summer—some of the people I was hanging around with this time last year don’t mean very much to me now, and the people who now mean the world to me, I barely even knew back then.

This week, in case you’re wondering (because you are), I’m writing this on my bed, with my laptop overheating on my lap, while listening to the soundtrack to the musical episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It is currently 11:30 PM in London and I think I hear my dad watching the World Cup in the next room.

Thank you all for your warm welcome last week. You’re all absolutely fabulous.

And talented.

Also hilarious.

And so, so beautiful. ♥♥♥

1 2 3 4

• gvantsa-goes-by-wendy July 2nd, 2014 7:24 PM

damn, Lilly, it’s so cool that you have soccer, I mean that you have something you love so much and are good at and try your best to reach more succes, at only 15. I’m a bit jealous – in a friendly way – coz there are so many things I could’ve pursued and been quite good at but didn’t, so much stuff I missed out on. But your entry made me smile, and I’m glad for you, good luck!

• gvantsa-goes-by-wendy July 2nd, 2014 7:27 PM

oh, and I forgot, the fact that it’s soccer AND that you’re a 15 year-old female, there’s something quite badass about it. I know it shouldn’t be considered badass and it’s because of our patriarchal society, but that’s the way it is and what you do IS inspiring for many girls, I think. Even for me, who is 3 years older than you. :) x

• weetzie July 2nd, 2014 8:27 PM

ANANDA the Once More With Feeling soundtrack was like the only thing I listened to for 4 months last spring when I was depressed, hearing it referenced here is so special because I probably know all the words and would watch the episode once or twice a week all throughout the end of the school year when I was in such a bad place.

• Mimi7 July 2nd, 2014 10:35 PM

I don’t think that getting your ears pieced has to be because you’re trying to be fashionable or pretty to other people. It can be just because it seems fun to attach jewels or cute objects to yourself. Earrings are like glitter or body stickers.

• Kilani July 3rd, 2014 9:26 AM

Ananda I love that you are listening to the Once More With Feeling soundtrack. That is my favorite episode of Buffy.

• Paola July 3rd, 2014 4:56 PM

uh oh Ananda you just got a recently-initiated Buffy watcher really excited for this “Once More With Feeling” ep. Also, Lily, I’m on my school’s soccer team and I’ve been trying so hard to try to get up and start preparing for the season; last season was kind of a bummer. I can’t seem to find the motivation until now; I guess it’s not a good thing that I can’t find motivation within myself but when I hear about what other people are doing… let’s just say thanks to you I’m going to work really hard tomorrow morning.