Dear Diary

June 4, 2014

Meet our brand-new diarist, Lilly!

Lilly

Last night I said to my mom, “I feel like all of my interests are conflicting with one another.”

She explained that while I’m into a lot of different things, they aren’t necessarily conflicting—it’s just that my stronger passions take precedence over the more “minor” ones.

A part of me knows she’s right, but, obstinate teenager that I am, I refuse to accept that there’s anything “minor” about any of my passions. My mom doesn’t think I should worry about any of this, but I worry about the future. I love science and feminism and sports, but eventually I’ll have to pick one, right? It would be awfully hard to double-major in astrophysics and gender studies, plus play on a Division I soccer team.

I’m in 10th grade, and sometimes I feel like, I still have two whole years of high school left! But other times, I’m like, I only have two years of high school left?! The latter thought hit me hard this spring. I was playing soccer and trying to keep my grades up and attempting to find time for everything else that I wanted to do. Once the school year ended, though, I switched from only to still. All these seemingly endless summer-vacation days give me time to give all my pastimes my full attentions. I come home from the library with stacks of books about feminism and extraterrestrial life (two topics which rarely intersect, alas), then I run and kick things until every muscle in my body is sore. I have time to make being 15 last a little longer.

And time to write—for example, right now, right here. So hello, Rookie readers! I’m Lilly, and I’m super excited to be sharing my life with you in this diary starting today. Get ready for some geeking out about science and soccer and math. ♦

1 2 3

• honorarygilmoregal June 4th, 2014 7:47 PM

Hey Lilly! Looking forward to more diaries from you :)

• MissKnowItAll June 4th, 2014 7:51 PM

Hey! Love the new diarist! Looking forward to hearing more from Lilly!
    Also, I was just wondering but are you looking for another diarist?

• meels June 4th, 2014 7:55 PM

welcome lilly!
    excited to read more from you :)

• maryjanesandconverse June 4th, 2014 8:04 PM

oooh, feminism and extraterrestrial life; I already like Lilly :)

• K8 is Gr8 June 4th, 2014 8:53 PM

Hi Lilly! I’m so excited you’re become a part of dear diary! (Especially because you’re my age!)

• beansprout June 4th, 2014 10:13 PM

yo lilly, i’m a junior at the moment, so this might change, but my current college plans are double major in classical studies (latin and greek) and gender studies with a minor in mathematics and some stuff with linguistics if i can fit it in. you are so not alone with the “conflicting” interests situation. also, nice to meet you !

britney, i think i understand what you are feeling and i think i feel it too. i am so stuck and so anxious constantly that i can’t get any school work done. i’m just waiting for summer to arrive, and yet i can already feel myself wasting my summer, crying a lot, and going back to school miserable two months later. i want to do things and i can’t and i feel like i’m always failing. i don’t have much to say ever. maybe this is not what you are feeling though, i don’t know. i’m sending good vibes your way anyhow.

• Pattymafu June 5th, 2014 10:24 AM

britney, I’m feeling qu¡te the same at this moment. It’s like everything stresses me out or wories me too much, and I want to say a lot of things but I end up not saying anything at all, just keeping it to myself because I don’t think anyone will get me. It’s hard, I sometimes feel lonely and it scares me.

Welcome Lilly! it’s nice to have some more voices!

• insanejane June 5th, 2014 4:01 PM

I totally understand you Lilly ! I do dance and I love drama and cinema and literature and foreign languages but I don’t know how I’ll manage to make collide all those passions… And I will graduate at the end of next year and I’m into the dilemma of WHAT WILL I DO after highschool…it’s like there is a void after these years!
    So, hope we will all fond our paths in what we love !
    Nice to read you, dear new recruit!

• silvermist June 5th, 2014 4:56 PM

Hi Lilly! Your diary reminds me of myself in high school (ha this sounds lame as I’m only 21).
    I was part of my school’s terrible soccer team and I LOVED aliens – I remember spending revision classes doing these quizzes about my chances of being abducted by aliens.
    I was also in the drama club, language club and debate club (the teacher used part of the budget to buy us cake and candy for the sessions – nothing best than discussing stuff over chocolate cake.)
    It was really difficult to choose a major because I loved everything too much and I wanted to do everything and to be everything.
    Eventually things turned out fine and I found you can keep doing all the things you like even after settling for a major/career.
    I’m also happy I had the chance to explore so many things when I was in high school and that I got to have all these memories of my time there.

really looking forward to your next diaries! <3

• Elsary June 8th, 2014 9:25 AM

Hi Lilly! Sounds so cool, welcome *big warm hug*
    It seems that we have something together -my interests are physics and writing, and I want to be journalist but I’ll be taking huge amount of physics & chemistry lessons in college/high school (which starts next autumn!!!).And I’m like, “HOW DO I COMBINE THESE?!
    Really waiting for your next diaries!