Music

Friday Playlist: Get Ready

Pre-party jams.

The most crucial part of getting ready to paint the town shred is kicking out the proper selection of jams. I heartily recommend an artisanal blend of tuff guitar-based tracks by well-meaning ruffians, intelligent disco, Shakira, and sexy shoulder-rollers that could easily serve as stage music for when you accept your crown at the #1 Sickest Babe in the Universe Entire pageant that I just made up. This playlist will make you feel like a beautiful, immortal giant, and I’m confident it will be an excellent soundtrack for throwing the entire contents of your dresser on the floor before finding the exact perfect going-out skirt to befit a #1 Sickest Babe such as yourself!

Still from the movie Modern Girls.

Illustration by Minna.

Illustration by Minna.

• TessAnnesley June 7th, 2014 12:01 AM

OMG my playlist of this has Led Zep’s Black Dog… nothing like putting on black eyeshadow to HEY-HEY MAMA SAID THE WAY YOU MOVE GONNA MAKE YOU SWEAT GONNA MAKE YOU GROOVE

• devoc June 7th, 2014 3:16 AM

This list is fab Amy, but you forgot “This Charming Man” by The Smiths?!?

• JadeTayla June 7th, 2014 6:24 AM

I LOVE THIS! It literally strikes the right balance between being super lame and super cool. Cranking it up next time I go out :) Also, I love, love, LOVE ‘Hold Tight’! It brings back them ‘Death Proof’ feels. It’s also the ultimate driving song :)

• elliecp June 7th, 2014 12:52 PM

this is possibly my favourite playlist this year….I LOVE music that gets you in the mood for going out! <3

• obeykid June 7th, 2014 6:10 PM

There should be a ‘Get Ready (Part 2)’. For those of us who spend hours getting ready!

• upallnightz June 7th, 2014 8:08 PM

OMFG YOU PUT A BRAZILIAN SONG IN THIS PLAYLIST btw im a brazilian huge fan so im freaking out ok

• AmeliaWM June 7th, 2014 9:22 PM

Yessssss. My prep jams are so important! This playlist has everything I look for in a pre-going-out mix tape. Thank you!! #QUEENOFTHEPACK

• Stardust June 7th, 2014 10:15 PM

Best playlist yet

• redheadjess June 8th, 2014 1:13 PM

there’s an unofficial rookie meetup going on during the summer, click the link to join the group!

• Ottilia June 10th, 2014 5:44 PM

This list is fantastic! I love Plastic Bertrand <3

• Tiana June 12th, 2014 11:09 AM

Brilliant list! I love abba ahaha