Music

Friday Playlist: Bombastic Anthems

Big songs to sing very loudly with all your friends.

These songs are like musical soap operas: dramatic, sentimental, emotionally manipulative, and often super cheesy. They’re the kinds of songs you’d be embarrassed to be caught listening to on your iPod, but which are perfect for when you’re with a group of close friends, riding fast in a car together or standing around a bonfire or celebrating after graduation. Listen to this playlist in small doses, with good company, lest you overdose on their corny majesty.

Illustration by Minna.

Illustration by Minna.

• Nadifa May 10th, 2014 12:33 AM

We Are Young and Hold On are perfect to be sang together!
    Also, why doesn’t this friday playlist have a collage? ._.

• Anaheed May 10th, 2014 3:07 AM

Because I turned it in late, and Minna hasn’t gotten a chance to make it yet — it’s coming!

• ellestolemyname May 10th, 2014 6:08 AM

I love this playlist so much – far too many good songs in one place!

• Anya N. May 10th, 2014 10:24 AM

i wish i had friends to sing these to on a friday :/ i guess i’ll have to wait for a rookie meetup

• samieh_m May 10th, 2014 11:51 AM

We are young from Fun is great !!!

• eva-stark May 10th, 2014 2:21 PM

ahh it’s been so long since i listened to we are young!!! brings back so many feelings. great playlist <3

• alicetardis May 10th, 2014 2:31 PM

I’m pretty sure the Good Riddance you have on the playlist is not Green Day? I mean that doesn’t sound like Billie Joe to me? Some weird cover more likely.
    Could we please correct this, Anaheed? Cause otherwise this playlist would be SO PERFECT! I’m going to my summer house with a few close buds in a couple of weeks and I can just see us running around screaming our hearts out to these songs! Ugh yes! <3

• Anaheed June 2nd, 2014 8:00 PM

That’s the real version, from Nimrod.

• prange May 11th, 2014 5:56 PM

omg we are young ~2012 memories~

• thedresscollector May 11th, 2014 10:14 PM

fun. on rookie yessssss

• smells-like-teen--angst May 13th, 2014 2:56 PM

I actually know every song on this playlist!!! A first for Rookie playlists :)