Big Freedia, aka the Queen of Bounce, aka the Queen Diva, is ruling exceptionally hard right now. In April she put out a new anthem of a single, and this month she debuted a glamorous line of glasses. The second season of her reality show, Big Freedia: Queen of Bounce, premieres June 11 on Fuse, and she releases her latest album, Just Be Free, on June 17. She isn’t stopping for much these days, which made us feel extra lucky that she took a break to tell us about some of the things that have been putting a smile on her face.
1. Po’boy sandwiches. Honey, I love New Orleans, and po’boys are a New Orleans thing. I love the French bread they’re made with and all the different fillings: shrimp, hot sausage, ham and cheese, all of it. I’m greedy.
2. Gospel music. My mom just passed in April after battling with cancer for four years. Me and my mom always went to church together, and listening to gospel music, like Gospel Soul Children, Marvin Sapp, and Bishop Paul S. Morton and his choir, reminds me of my upbringing and being with her.
3. Confetti roses. I love fresh flowers, and these are my favorite right now. They’re multicolored and very beautiful, like nothing I’ve ever seen before. A lot of times you have to have them special-ordered. I’ve been taking pictures of them and putting them on my Instagram.
4. Massages. I like getting pampered. I like to take off some stress, and getting a massage really helps take me and my body to another place. If I can, I get a pedicure and my nails done, too. Wherever there’s a massage, I make a point of getting one. It rarely happens, but when it does I really enjoy it.
5. Sunday dinners. My family loves to get to together and have Sunday dinners. We all just hang out and laugh. Since my mom passed, I’ve definitely been the person who’s been looking over the family and taking care of the cooking. I have quite a few specialties: cabbage and rice with pickled meat, shrimp stew, gumbo, cornbread, macaroni and cheese. I love it all. I’m greedy—I told you! ♦
(As told to Lena.)