Eye Candy

Armchair Psychometry

If these objects could talk, what would they say?

• Mattie April 22nd, 2014 8:40 PM

This is pretty incredible. I never knew that this was an actual ideology. I love it though. I often find myself becoming nostalgic for objects that I have no real connection with. You know the Carousel projector? It’s mentioned in Mad Men and it’s my favorite scene in Mad Men because it’s so human. Well I found one in my attic! It had all these photos of my mom’s trip to Greece when she was a teenager on it, and it’s definitely the coolest thing I’ve ever found in my attic-adventuring journeys.

• takethreestepsback April 22nd, 2014 9:59 PM

Oh Minna, this is so lovely! I can’t wait to investigate psychometry myself :)
    I also love imagining the stories behind curious op shop items. Thrifted garments are full of fantastical stories… Why did somebody choose to discard this? Was it intentional? Did they love or loath it?

• Suzie Q April 22nd, 2014 10:59 PM

ive never heard of this before; very trippy and very cool indeed

• April 23rd, 2014 3:35 AM

Fascinating!! I particularly enjoyed the deductions of the patch ahaha! :D Examining the possessions of other folks can be so much funn (in a non-disrespectful-weird way fo sho) I remember that I used to focus a lot on said practice specially as a child in my first days of school, ..I stole cool school materials like silly colorful sharpeners or fruit-shaped erasers and such, but I didn’t really understand the concept of stealing so I thought it was alright to ”borrow” certain objects and then one day my box of materials fell to the ground and my teacher saw my lil treasures and my collection disappeared ahhh. haha! Ohhh and you know what, another kind of super intriguing feel is stored in books! Like when they have scribbles,names or doodles from previous readerss, or even the dust on their pages can be so mystical because that dust might belong to them, like you could have particles of someone else that existed agesss ago incrusted in your ol’ books, aint that great. :) Minna I love your artwork! ^_^

carambolians.tumblr.com
    mandingoose.tumblr.com

• elliecp April 23rd, 2014 2:34 PM

I love this idea! I love objects with history, especially secondhand books.

• VagabondZombie April 24th, 2014 11:08 PM

Psychometry! So that’s what it’s called… I like to imagine about an object’s history, too. But probably not as much as you do. Oh, how I wish I could have such psychic abilities. This is an awesome article.