Dear Diary

March 26, 2014

Thank god for Friday.

Ruby

I pulled my visor over my head and tied my hair into a high ponytail. I glanced in the little mirror in the car and got out, dusting off my apron. I was ready for my first day at my first job ever (besides Rookie, of course), working the register at Dunkin’ Donuts.

I was introduced to three girls in their early 20s. One of them, a skinny redhead, told me she would be my trainer.

“My boyfriend’s over there,” she said. “His name is James.” I would hear a whole lot about James.

“So, what do you do for fun?” said another girl. She didn’t look particularly interested in hearing my answer; she was probably told by the manager to make me feel welcome or something.

“Um, I like music a lot. And I play Dungeons & Dragons.”

“Oh wow, tell me more.”

Not picking up on her sarcasm, I started to tell her about my character: Cora, Elvin Vampire, Level 6 Rogue. I saw her eyes glaze over and, suddenly realizing my mistake, walked away as quickly as I could.

There was a lot of sitting around. The girls made themselves fancy flavored coffees and ate sandwiches and doughnuts and sat in the back room talking about their boyfriends. A girl came in, handed the redhead a stack of Avon magazines and a bag of samples, and scurried out the door.

“The manager sells Mary Kay, so we’re not allowed to buy Avon or look at the catalogs at work,” the redhead explained. “But she’s not here, so it’s whatever.”

The girl training me gave me a tour and was showing me how to use the cash register when a blond girl walked up to the counter.

“You’re going to have to spend some extra time on this one,” my trainer said. “She seems slow.”

“Make every drink in front of me one time, without explaining it, and then put me in front on the busiest hour,” I told the redhead. She did as instructed.

And I totally owned. Soon I was slinging caramel lattes and Coolattas like a total pro. It felt sort of pathetic to find joy in working minimum wage at a fast food joint, but I like to be good at things, and if I’m good at this, I’ll enjoy it. ♦

1 2 3 4

• Mayne March 26th, 2014 7:10 PM

Big hand squeezes to Britney and Naomi.
    Thanks again :)

———–

I’m not sure if you guys have noticed / it’s a specific creative choice, but unless Ruby’s entry is RUBY’S ENTRY it isn’t in her tab. Also, the subheading on the main page might not be displaying correctly. Idk.

• Anaheed March 26th, 2014 8:31 PM

Thank you, Mayne! My computer has been fucking up like crazy for the past few days and I haven’t been able to catch all its glitches.

• Anaheed March 26th, 2014 8:33 PM

Wait — can you tell me what you’re seeing? Because it’s actually showing up fine for me.

• Maddy March 26th, 2014 8:58 PM

Maybe this is it: if you click on Ruby’s name, hardly any articles show up. Actually I’ve noticed this with a LOT of author pages. Especially if it’s a new person, if I click their name, their page says they haven’t written anything yet. My wild guess is that it takes WP some time to catch up with the tagging system or something, but I’ve never checked back in with any one particular page.

• Maddy March 26th, 2014 9:01 PM

Oh hmm Caitlin’s the only diarist whose entries show up under her author page (except for one entry from 2012 for Ruby). I’m a webmaster for another site so I’m sort of into this stuff and tech in general :)

btw Ruby: such a good comeback and it worked!

• Anaheed March 26th, 2014 9:11 PM

Ohhhhh I see what you’re talking about. Yeah, we’ve had some big WordPress glitches lately, and the author pages are one of those. We are working on a major overhaul that should resolve these issues soon. Thanks, Maddy!

• Mayne March 27th, 2014 1:11 AM

It’s fixed now Anaheed! WordPress must have just been having a big ole lol :)

• Viaperson March 26th, 2014 8:47 PM

naomi – i’m searching for housing for next year too. i feel you, girl. good luck on your search — it’s hard to know you’re leaving something sweet but i know in some ways next year will be sweeter for both of us.

ruby – yes! you go! what a badass move and what a victory. work it girl

britney – <3 sometimes anger is so cleansing. sending you lots of luck n love.

• ameliamad March 26th, 2014 8:49 PM

Naomi and Britney omg i feel like i can relate to your entries so much. Best wishes to you both!

styleriottt.blogspot.com

• 3LL3NH March 26th, 2014 11:55 PM

Ruby, your voice makes routine things sound like Wes Anderson and come to life amazingly well. I hope you like your job.

• kittyweasel March 27th, 2014 12:57 AM

It kind of makes me feel bad that Ruby equated working minimum wage at a fast-food place to pathetic, when it is a very great thing to even have a job. I have always been told that all work is noble and worthwhile. So as long as you are putting yourself out there and making money, please don’t feel pathetic for it, no matter what the occupation.

• hidith March 27th, 2014 9:52 AM

go ruby go!

• Saana V March 27th, 2014 12:43 PM

britney, i’ve felt much the same lately and i’ve been promising myself that i’ll feel better when i get to do something i /actually/ like. I don’t know about you, of course, i have no idea why you are feeling like that and i’m not sure if i know why i’m feeling like this either. I just hope it passes with sunlight and my life turning a bit less boring next year (if i actually get into the school i want to get sos)

• lovetherain March 27th, 2014 4:11 PM

@Ruby When my depression was really bad I spent most of my time feeling scarily apathetic, and it felt worse to me than being sad or mad or any actual emotion. When I started feeling better, one of the first emotions I felt was anger. I’m not saying everyone has the same experience or that you’ll start feeling better, but anger is typically an emotion that changes things, an emotion that people act on. In your past couple entries you’ve seemed like you can’t stand where you are right now and the people around you. So I say embrace the anger! It probably feels shitty, but it can definitely help propel you out of a situation you don’t want to be in anymore. I hope things get better soon! <3