Live Through This

Mistakes Weren’t Made

A look back at all my best “bad” decisions.

• Raissomat February 25th, 2014 3:59 PM

I had my boyfriend move in with me and my very (phisically) sick mum two months after getting to know eachother. And even before we even started serious flirting I told all my mediocre (and one great) “friends” with benefits THAT DOOR IS SHUT NOW, ADIOS.
    He is worth it. We are, every day. But I still don’t know how we had the balls to do that. How small where the odds it would end well, really?!? That was six years ago.

• Laia February 25th, 2014 4:41 PM

i love this.

• Alepisaurus February 25th, 2014 4:52 PM

This is actually inspiring and like, comforting? because I’m really nervous about the future right now (pick a college! get good grades! intern/volunteer at the right places!)

• Nobre February 25th, 2014 4:57 PM

Emily and Esme, you two are a great team! I always find your writing and the illustrations so, so good!

• akacatalina February 25th, 2014 5:17 PM

Gosh, I absolutely love this. In the midst of stressing out over colleges this beautiful piece brought me the comfort and clarity to chill the F out for a sec. Thanks again rookie

• essentialfemale February 25th, 2014 5:18 PM

All interesting people have a past. That being said, all of the interesting or successful people I have ever known or read about, have a history of failures or mistakes that have made them who they are. In fact, those are some of my favorite people to feauture on my own blog, essentialfemale.com. Check it out!

• DymondMag February 25th, 2014 5:40 PM

love the message of this and the beautiful drawings. (that Eugene thing is awesome, best thing I’ve heard in a while)

• Bex_cygnet February 25th, 2014 6:44 PM

Nobre: seconded! Anything penned by Emily and Esme is a guaranteed-without-even-clicking favourite.

• K8 is Gr8 February 25th, 2014 7:01 PM

this is adorable, and i love the wizard of oz reference :)

• Maradoll Mynx February 26th, 2014 9:47 AM

Beautiful!!!

• Cruicked February 26th, 2014 11:46 AM

I knew this was Emily Gordon! I’ve heard her on so many comedy podcasts and I follow her on instagram and she’s so awesome! And so is Kumail and basically everyone they know. I desperately want to go to Meltdown Comics

• sparklingbutterfly February 26th, 2014 2:42 PM

i thought i was gonna feel better about my poor decisions that made me the person i am today, but some of these are real frivolous choices, dyeing your hair black can hardly be considered a “mistake”. it’s hair. the rest of the “mistakes” are more like success stories. getting into grad school, changing careers, getting married. this comes across more like flaunting disguised behind self-deprecation.

• sparklingbutterfly February 26th, 2014 2:54 PM

maybe i’ve just done really stupid shit lol. clearly these girls have better heads on their shoulders if dyeing their hair black is one of their worst mistakes. just for the record some people make worse decisions than that lol

• FatedToPretend February 26th, 2014 9:43 PM

I love the one about calling the gym teacher by his first name!

• LexiV March 2nd, 2014 2:23 AM