Music

Friday Playlist: Far Away Places

Songs about the world according to other people.

I love getting on a plane or a train to distant and awesome places. I want to experience the snowy beauty of Norway one day, or discover every last corner of South-East Asia, but I’ve accepted that I’m never going to be able to travel to every single place in the world. It’s just too big, and I won’t live forever. Still, I’m curious about the rest of this mysterious planet. I’ve read articles about tragedies occurring in Sierra Leone and I’m familiar with the historical significance of Jerusalem, though I’ll never really know what it’s like to have a strong relationship with either of those places. Even places I’ve been, like Chicago, or places I’m from, like Australia—when I hear what others have to say about them, it’s like I’ve never been there at all. That’s why I listen to songs about other places: I love listening to the world according to other people.

Illustration by Minna.

Illustration by Minna.

• Laia February 7th, 2014 11:11 PM

Africa by Toto best song ever.

• Suzie Q February 7th, 2014 11:14 PM

no america by simon and garfunkel??

• honorarygilmoregal February 8th, 2014 4:02 AM

“Norway” is such a beautiful song :)

• Sopho February 8th, 2014 4:50 AM

The playlist isn’t working for me, it says it’s unavailable, but I really like Minna’s collage! The house in the background is awesome. May I ask where that picture’s from? That way I can fantasize about my life there, rowing through the trees and stuff.

• Sopho February 8th, 2014 6:00 AM

I’m just thinking about this and like I really appreciate Rookie so much cos there are some things I wanna say that I can’t say anywhere else.
      I’m having these feelings because I usually never comment on things on the internet ever but now sometimes I comment on Rookie and only have a mini heart attack. Right now I’m like ‘sharing my feelings’ (it’s stupid that I put that in quotation marks but ya know) unprovoked because it’s ok to do that on Rookie. I don’t think I care if no one reads my comments cos they’re in the rookie sphere and I can express myself, but also I think that with rookie sometimes you don’t even need to say anything because your soul (or whatever) is satisfied because you know that you’re understood implicitly, like if there’s a photo or piece of writing that expresses a feeling that you have, or have had, that was private and maybe made you feel alone, but not necessarily alone in a bad way, just like you in the world with other people, but separate… it’s amazing.
      Also, now I’ve written this comment I think to myself ‘you could just not submit it’, but something about Rookie makes me think I should submit it, and that really means something.

• anaisabel13 February 8th, 2014 8:43 AM

Oh my gosh Frank Ocean <3 <3 <3

anexerciseofmyfaculties.blogspot.com

• verosaysmoo February 8th, 2014 12:14 PM

the player isn’t working :(

• Amy Rose February 8th, 2014 12:39 PM

It should be all fixed now!

• idrathernot February 8th, 2014 2:32 PM

Great playlist, and a beautiful description of how our perception affects our experience of a place. Thanks, Estelle!

• chawi February 8th, 2014 5:46 PM

“Norway” and “Sierra Leone” are so lovely…I wish I could go everywhere on the planet too :-(

• peace.love.music.grows February 9th, 2014 12:17 AM

I’m so glad Mirah is on here with Jerusalem! And you couldn’t forget Sufjan. xoxo great mix!

• bluelipsblueveins February 9th, 2014 7:56 PM

YES! one of my all-time favorite Sleater-Kinney songs.

• Flossy Mae February 10th, 2014 12:15 PM