You Asked It

Damn Girl Ya Look Good

Advice on mastering the art of double-denim outfits, wide-calf boots, pussy bows, and more.

I recently bought an adorable baby-doll dress, and I love everything about it…except its way-too-low neckline. What can I wear to make it less racy without being too obvious about covering up? —Kelsey

I love me a baby-doll dress! I actually have a similar issue with a vintage ’70s one I’ve been aching to wear. Though I’m RARELY the type of gal to shy away from something low-cut, this dress has a deep enough neckline that I could easily drop some Reese’s Pieces in there and never know it. The solution, I’ve found, is to layer a frilly top with a pussy bow under the ol’ thing. For the uninitiated, a pussy bow on a shirt or dress is material draped from the neck that you can tie into a bow. If your dress isn’t skintight, you should be able to fit a pussy bow top underneath—just shoot for something sleeveless so it doesn’t look bulky.

What’s cool about a bow is that it will draw attention to your chest, but not in a way you’re uncomfortable with. If your dress is dark, I’d go for a light blouse, but if it’s patterned and you REALLY wanna go wild, look for printed blouses—I love a nice mix of patterns! This can add to the cute ’90s-goes-mod look that I imagine your dress is evoking. Here are some of my favorite sleeveless pussy-bow blouses, both plain and patterned:

Clockwise from top left: Black Tie Blouse, ASOS, $41; Buttoned Tie Neck Bodysuit, Forever 21, $6; Solid Tie Neck Blouse in Raspberry, JC Penney, $20; South Florida Spree Top in Pink Hearts, Modcloth, $33; Nice to Meet Cute Top, Modcloth, $43; Chiffon Bow Neck Tie, ASOS, $15.

Clockwise from top left: Black Tie Blouse, $41, ASOS; Buttoned Tie Neck Bodysuit, $6, Forever 21; Solid Tie Neck Blouse in raspberry, $20, JCPenney; South Florida Spree Top in Pink Hearts, $33, Modcloth; Nice to Meet Cute Top, $43, Modcloth; Chiffon Bow Neck Tie, $15, ASOS.

If the pussy-bow thing doesn’t work for you, the last resort in all cover-up-related matters is a button-up cardigan or bolero. It might be the easy way out, but it’ll do the trick, and there are plenty of cute cardis out there. You can also concentrate on cute accessories, tights, or socks to make your outfit extra special.

I’m pear-shaped, with a small waist and big hips. I looove showing off my figure by wearing high-waisted shorts, pants, and skirts, but I have trouble finding stores that carry high-waisted bottoms that fit me! My parents refuse to let me buy clothes online, and I’m tired of only being able to go to Charlotte Russe because I’m a bigger size. Do you know of any other stores I can go to? —Chrissy, Arizona

Let me put on my Sherlock Holmes hat and get to work! First of all, I’d suggest generally looking for a stretchy jeggings-type style when shopping for the jeans of your utmost dreams—these can work wonders for us ladies with curves!

It’s really rad that, these days, many denim clothiers like Eddie Bauer, Levi, and Lee have created collections specifically made for helping curvy chicas find a perfect fit. Since I don’t know your hip-to-waist ratio, I probably won’t be able to find the EXACT style that’s perfect for you. It’s going to take a bit of search and conquer on your end—so let’s take this to the mall!

You can find the Levi Curve ID line at JCPenney, so that’s a good place to start. As we continue on our mall store search, let’s go grab an Orange Julius and then swing by Sears to take a look at their jeggings. Forever 21 also has some cute styles you can try. After F21, let’s grab a soft pretzel (I’m feeling snack-y today, can you tell?) and take our chances over at Hot Topic, where we’ll check out some of their high-waisted stretchy jeans.

Hopefully, by this point, you’ll have found something awesome, but if you’re finding that the jeans you try are fitting your hips and booty perfectly but too loose at the waist, you might want to opt for a bigger size and then get the waist taken in by a tailor. GROAN. I know tailoring sounds daunting and annoying, but it’s really the only way you’ll be able to get a legit fit for your hot bod. Otherwise, you’ll have to keep trying until you find the One (denim brand, that is).

It’s unfortunate that your parents won’t let you try shopping online. Is it because of the hassle of potential returns? If that’s the case, I can’t say I blame them (though plenty of places offer free returns these days). If they do decide to chill on the anti-internet-shopping rule, places like Unique Vintage, Modcloth, and ASOS have some really cute high-waisted denim styles in both plus and regular sizes. The search might seem hard at first, but going fashion treasure hunting can be a seriously fun pastime. Don’t give up! ♦

If you have a fashion-based quandary that you know only Marie can help you with, send it on over to damngirl@rookiemag.com.

1 2

• soviet_kitsch February 4th, 2014 11:19 PM

the video for “live in this city” by dragonette should be anyone’s inspiration to work the denim on denim look!

• thebrownette February 4th, 2014 11:32 PM

DID YOU JUST MENTION SHERLOCK #I can’t

• itsRAEdiculous February 4th, 2014 11:33 PM

H&M’s high-waisted denim skinny jeans are AMAZING. So stretchy, flattering, and comfortable. I have slept in them.

• grrrlinacoma February 4th, 2014 11:48 PM

Is it just me, or does that picture of Debbie Harry remind you of Tavi? Freaky!

• piisaa February 5th, 2014 4:30 AM

Not just you! I was confused for a second.

• Cutesycreator aka Monica February 5th, 2014 7:23 AM

Same here haha

• flapperhatgirl February 5th, 2014 8:51 AM

I’ve always thought Debbie Harry and Tavi look alike, here’s proof that I’m not alone!

• peanutbuttahlovah February 4th, 2014 11:51 PM

Did anyone else, when they first saw the words “pussy bow”, at first think good ole Rookie was referring to somethin much much more scandalous??? lol, I was like, hmm, I’ve heard of bedazzling them, but never with bows, then I was like, wow, kinda surprised they’re talkin about this on here, n thenn I was like, uh-oh, there’s about to be debates on here about whether that term is offensive. Maybe my mind just permanently sleeps in the gutter…

• interestingrosie February 5th, 2014 8:22 AM

Yeah i thought i’d misread it, never heard those types of shirts being called that, all though thinking about it i’ve never really heard it being called anything

• MaggietheCat February 6th, 2014 1:36 AM

I thought it was going to be about frilly panties.

• Jes February 5th, 2014 12:34 AM

“THAT MUTHA.” hahahahahahah

• ghostgrrl February 5th, 2014 1:01 AM

forever21.com also has a lot of wide calf boots in the plus size section, and they cost around 40 bucks so it’s not too expensive:)

• clarekawaii February 5th, 2014 3:44 AM

i rock the dbl denim practically everyday man!!! i think anyone can pull it off, you just gotta believe in yourself. if you give off a vibe of confidence in yourself people will be entranced by your ‘idc’ attitude :))))

• lexilikes February 5th, 2014 12:36 PM

That last tip was very helpful, I’m the exact same with hips and waist!

• ElisabethGrace February 5th, 2014 1:35 PM

To Chrissy from Arizona, I have a similar body shape, and I’ve found that the Flirt style from Old Navy fits me really well. They’re higher waisted than many jeans these days, and the sizes go all the way to 20 and beyond.

• padlizsan February 5th, 2014 3:15 PM

Also if you’re looking for rain boots, Sloggers has awesome wide-calf ones that are relatively inexpensive for how good the quality is and come in a veritable kaleidoscope of different colors and patterns; I was despairing of ever finding a pair that fit me until I found their brand!

• Kittensrule February 5th, 2014 3:43 PM

To the last lady: Have you tried thrifting? All my high-waisted jorts are thrifted mom jeans I turn into cut-offs. . There are millions and millions of them. I’ve come to love Levi’s 505s and a certain vintage cut of BR jeans. Just take a bunch in and see what works for you. Since you’ll be cutting them off, don’t worry about the length or weird-ass tapered legs they all inevitably have. You can cuff them, make them fringey, destroy them, whatever. :D

• goinghome February 5th, 2014 10:22 PM

For the wide calf boots – a cobbler once suggested to me to cut open one of the calf seams of my boots and insert a triangular elastic panel in the opening. I didn’t end up doing it since he managed to stretch my boots enough, but that could be a solution!

For high-waisted pants – I’m in the same situation! Ever since I realised American Apparel high-waisted pants account for a smaller waist, I’ve been sticking to those. They’re a bit expensive, but if you’re as lucky as I’ve been (fingers crossed), you’ll be able to thrift them too! Otherwise, if you can find second-hand pants that fit at the waist, it’s pretty easy to taper the legs. And if anyone tells you they’ll roll and won’t fall properly and whatnot if you only take one side in, you can send them my way :) Good luck!

• photi February 5th, 2014 11:02 PM

are we all just going to ignore the monthly pizza club??!?!

• Flyer February 6th, 2014 12:21 AM

I agree about Eddie Bauer curvy jeans. Pretty much all other jeans I’ve tried leave a gap in the waist for big-thighed me but Eddie Bauer jeans are my One True Brand. I hope you find yours, lovely pear-shaped girl!

• painting_the_roses_pink February 6th, 2014 6:25 PM

My bestfriend has the same problem with high waist things, shes a pear shaped gal also.

If the bottom doesn’t fit her waist perfectly but isn’t way off she’ll just throw a cute belt on her waist-zone and VOILLA perfection! The cute belt draws attention to her cute waist, and she doesn’t have to permanently change her clothes. A popular saying among us “I might grow into it!”

• crapbag February 6th, 2014 11:31 PM

denim demon <33333333

• elektraheart February 11th, 2014 2:34 PM

I have the same exact opposite problem of Sydney :( My calves are really thin and boots look weird on me! I like wearing tall boots but can’t because the boots are so wide and my legs aren’t :(

• prettylittleseasidegirl March 1st, 2014 1:44 PM

almost all of my high waisted shorts are thrifted mom jeans i cut! they fit both my smaller waist and big ol hips great. the only inconvenience is that it’s very time consuming, you have to try quite a few pairs before you find the right one.