You Asked It

Damn Girl Ya Look Good

Advice on mastering the art of double-denim outfits, wide-calf boots, pussy bows, and more.

I know wearing denim on denim is basically the BIGGEST fashion faux pas, but I’m hoping you can help me! How can I style a denim shirt (or jacket) and jeans without looking like a ’90s mom? —Ella

Wait, Ella, are you insulting the beautiful double denim romance of Justin and Britney at the 2001 American Movie Awards?!

LOOK AT THEM ANGELS! Photo via Jeffrey Mayer/WIreImage.

LOOK AT THEM ANGELS! Photo via Jeffrey Mayer/WireImage.

My dream is to someday convince my boyfriend to wear this denim combo with me…even if it’s just to the Del Taco drive-through.

Girl, there’s no such thing as a faux pas! Wear whatever your heart desires, even if it’s a head-to-toe denim ball gown like Britney’s. It may not be for the faint of heart, but you can make it look amazing! I know I have before…or at least someone didn’t have the heart to tell me I didn’t. ::cryface::

The other day, during my monthly pizza club, one of my friends wore black jeans with a black denim jacket and I went bananas. He looked SO CUTE. It was like a goth denim tuxedo! I stared for a minute to try to figure out its magic, and I noticed that the wash on his jacket was slightly lighter than the one on his jeans. This subtle two-tone look really worked with black denim and can definitely also work for blue. Try wearing a light chambray denim button-up top with a darker denim on the bottom. Dark denim always looks classic and chic. Also, if you want to lessen the drama (though why would you?!), try wearing a boldly printed top under the jacket, which will draw attention away from your double-denim suit.

Go for it, you denim demon! Here’s some more inspiration, as if Justin and Britney weren’t enough on their own:

Clockwise from top left: Anjelica from Mode Junkie, Alexa Chung and Pixie Geldof, Tanesha of Girl With Curves, Debbie Harry; Rihanna; Nadia Aboulhosn.

Clockwise from top left: Anjelica from Mode Junkie, Alexa Chung and Pixie Geldof; Tanesha of Girl With Curves, Debbie Harry, Rihanna, Nadia Aboulhosn.

I have big calves, so the tall boots that strike my fancy when I’m shopping usually don’t fit me. They always get stuck right when I pull them up to my calf and then refuse to budge from there. Is there a brand of boots that will fit my legs? —Sydney

When I was in drill team in high school, we had to wear knee-high white go-go boots with our uniform. I’ve always had thick legs, and sometimes it would take two other girls from my team to help zip up my boots! My one friend used to joke that I needed a corset for my calves. THAT MUTHA.

This is something that I still struggle with from time to time, but nowadays, there are many shoes on the market that are made for thick legs. Old Navy makes some cool wide-calf boots, as does Torrid—I can personally vouch for the latter, since I bought a pair of gray suede boots that I absolutely loved! You can also search specifically for wide-calf boots online at Zappos, DSW, and Macy’s.

Another option: If you buy genuine leather boots, you can take them to a cobbler to have them stretched—but only if they’re REAL leather. Man-made materials usually won’t stretch and can be damaged if forced. If you’d rather just get ones that are already made for wide calves, here are some of my favorites:

Clockwise from top left: Slouchy Suede Heeled Boots, Torrid, $69.50; Romantic Soles Arva Boots, Zappos, $70; Style&co. Derby Wide Calf Boots, Macy's, $69; BCBGeneration Malino Wide Calf Boots, Macy's, $70; Lumiani Internation Collection Boots, Zappos, $118; Strappy Wedge Boots, Torrid, $69.50.

Clockwise from top left: Slouchy Suede Heeled Boots, $69.50, Torrid; Romantic Soles Arva Boots, Zappos, $70; Style&co. Derby Wide Calf Boots, $69, Macy’s; BCBGeneration Malino Wide Calf Boots, $70, Macy’s; Lumiani Internation Collection Boots, $118, Zappos; Strappy Wedge Boots, $69.50, Torrid.

1 2

• soviet_kitsch February 4th, 2014 11:19 PM

the video for “live in this city” by dragonette should be anyone’s inspiration to work the denim on denim look!

• thebrownette February 4th, 2014 11:32 PM

DID YOU JUST MENTION SHERLOCK #I can’t

• itsRAEdiculous February 4th, 2014 11:33 PM

H&M’s high-waisted denim skinny jeans are AMAZING. So stretchy, flattering, and comfortable. I have slept in them.

• grrrlinacoma February 4th, 2014 11:48 PM

Is it just me, or does that picture of Debbie Harry remind you of Tavi? Freaky!

• piisaa February 5th, 2014 4:30 AM

Not just you! I was confused for a second.

• Cutesycreator aka Monica February 5th, 2014 7:23 AM

Same here haha

• flapperhatgirl February 5th, 2014 8:51 AM

I’ve always thought Debbie Harry and Tavi look alike, here’s proof that I’m not alone!

• peanutbuttahlovah February 4th, 2014 11:51 PM

Did anyone else, when they first saw the words “pussy bow”, at first think good ole Rookie was referring to somethin much much more scandalous??? lol, I was like, hmm, I’ve heard of bedazzling them, but never with bows, then I was like, wow, kinda surprised they’re talkin about this on here, n thenn I was like, uh-oh, there’s about to be debates on here about whether that term is offensive. Maybe my mind just permanently sleeps in the gutter…

• interestingrosie February 5th, 2014 8:22 AM

Yeah i thought i’d misread it, never heard those types of shirts being called that, all though thinking about it i’ve never really heard it being called anything

• MaggietheCat February 6th, 2014 1:36 AM

I thought it was going to be about frilly panties.

• Jes February 5th, 2014 12:34 AM

“THAT MUTHA.” hahahahahahah

• ghostgrrl February 5th, 2014 1:01 AM

forever21.com also has a lot of wide calf boots in the plus size section, and they cost around 40 bucks so it’s not too expensive:)

• clarekawaii February 5th, 2014 3:44 AM

i rock the dbl denim practically everyday man!!! i think anyone can pull it off, you just gotta believe in yourself. if you give off a vibe of confidence in yourself people will be entranced by your ‘idc’ attitude :))))

• lexilikes February 5th, 2014 12:36 PM

That last tip was very helpful, I’m the exact same with hips and waist!

• ElisabethGrace February 5th, 2014 1:35 PM

To Chrissy from Arizona, I have a similar body shape, and I’ve found that the Flirt style from Old Navy fits me really well. They’re higher waisted than many jeans these days, and the sizes go all the way to 20 and beyond.

• padlizsan February 5th, 2014 3:15 PM

Also if you’re looking for rain boots, Sloggers has awesome wide-calf ones that are relatively inexpensive for how good the quality is and come in a veritable kaleidoscope of different colors and patterns; I was despairing of ever finding a pair that fit me until I found their brand!

• Kittensrule February 5th, 2014 3:43 PM

To the last lady: Have you tried thrifting? All my high-waisted jorts are thrifted mom jeans I turn into cut-offs. . There are millions and millions of them. I’ve come to love Levi’s 505s and a certain vintage cut of BR jeans. Just take a bunch in and see what works for you. Since you’ll be cutting them off, don’t worry about the length or weird-ass tapered legs they all inevitably have. You can cuff them, make them fringey, destroy them, whatever. :D

• goinghome February 5th, 2014 10:22 PM

For the wide calf boots – a cobbler once suggested to me to cut open one of the calf seams of my boots and insert a triangular elastic panel in the opening. I didn’t end up doing it since he managed to stretch my boots enough, but that could be a solution!

For high-waisted pants – I’m in the same situation! Ever since I realised American Apparel high-waisted pants account for a smaller waist, I’ve been sticking to those. They’re a bit expensive, but if you’re as lucky as I’ve been (fingers crossed), you’ll be able to thrift them too! Otherwise, if you can find second-hand pants that fit at the waist, it’s pretty easy to taper the legs. And if anyone tells you they’ll roll and won’t fall properly and whatnot if you only take one side in, you can send them my way :) Good luck!

• photi February 5th, 2014 11:02 PM

are we all just going to ignore the monthly pizza club??!?!

• Flyer February 6th, 2014 12:21 AM

I agree about Eddie Bauer curvy jeans. Pretty much all other jeans I’ve tried leave a gap in the waist for big-thighed me but Eddie Bauer jeans are my One True Brand. I hope you find yours, lovely pear-shaped girl!

• painting_the_roses_pink February 6th, 2014 6:25 PM

My bestfriend has the same problem with high waist things, shes a pear shaped gal also.

If the bottom doesn’t fit her waist perfectly but isn’t way off she’ll just throw a cute belt on her waist-zone and VOILLA perfection! The cute belt draws attention to her cute waist, and she doesn’t have to permanently change her clothes. A popular saying among us “I might grow into it!”

• crapbag February 6th, 2014 11:31 PM

denim demon <33333333

• elektraheart February 11th, 2014 2:34 PM

I have the same exact opposite problem of Sydney :( My calves are really thin and boots look weird on me! I like wearing tall boots but can’t because the boots are so wide and my legs aren’t :(

• prettylittleseasidegirl March 1st, 2014 1:44 PM

almost all of my high waisted shorts are thrifted mom jeans i cut! they fit both my smaller waist and big ol hips great. the only inconvenience is that it’s very time consuming, you have to try quite a few pairs before you find the right one.