Music

Friday Playlist: Eye-Openers

Songs that helped us see things more clearly.

The 17 songs on this playlist revealed things—about ourselves and love and other people and feelings and the WORLD—that we hadn’t known or seen before.

Oliver (3-D Glasses), 2002 by Ryan McGinley. Via Vice.

Illustration by Minna.

Illustration by Minna.

• thebrownette January 31st, 2014 7:48 PM

It’s funny you post “songs that helped us see things more clearly” today; I’ve been listening to Lorde’s “Ribs” for the past two days because for some strange reason it’s helping me remember little moments to write about AND inspiring storylines/ideas for a screenplay idea I have…

“This dream isn’t feeling sweet” just evokes so many memories for me.

• TessAnnesley January 31st, 2014 8:32 PM

I already know that screenplay will be the best thing ever
      *volunteers to direct it*

• lizabeth February 1st, 2014 10:55 AM

That’s how I feel about her song “Buzzcut Season”–it’s been on repeat for like a month and I’m still so inspired by it.

This playlist is the best!

• diana94 January 31st, 2014 11:11 PM

i would like to ask the rookie editors what they think about Macklemore’s song same love and his performance this past week

• Anaheed February 1st, 2014 12:01 AM

I didn’t see it!

• diana94 February 3rd, 2014 11:26 AM

there is a lot of controversy going on, what is a good alliance what is a bad one blah blah

• idrathernot February 8th, 2014 3:32 PM

I am not a Rookie editor, but I am a huge Rookie fan have a-lot-of-thoughts-about-Macklemore :)

Of course it is a nice sentiment to support LGBT rights, but I think he ventures into problematic territory as a straight white man critiquing specifically hip-hop – a genre that was founded by and is dominated by African-Americans.

I think it became even more problematic at the Grammys when he won best rap album, etc. – not because I think white people should never participate in traditionally African-American spaces, but because the Grammys have a history of erasing African-American contributions to music. He didn’t create these problems, but if he’s going to make himself a voice for social justice, he should address it.

• froctopus February 1st, 2014 2:46 AM

Why isn’t Massive Attack’s Teardrop on this list??? I swear it is one of the most beautiful things I have ever heard.

• Sophii February 1st, 2014 5:15 AM

This is such a great playlist to end the month. So many great songs <3

• giov February 1st, 2014 7:48 AM

this playlist is better than therapy.

• kat_disco February 1st, 2014 2:37 PM

This is definitely my favorite Friday Playlist ever!

• monkshood February 2nd, 2014 7:06 PM

Who made this playlist? It’s amazing!

• Neendurg February 3rd, 2014 6:09 PM

This is the best playlist. ever.

• Skotty February 3rd, 2014 8:18 PM

This might be the best playlist you’ve posted in a while. ;)