Movie and TV characters like the alien hunk played by Jeff Goldblum in Earth Girls Are Easy and the otherworldly beings on The X-Files have always made me look up at the great vastness of our skies and wonder, WHAT DA HALES IS OUT THERE??? Even though I’d actually be terrified if I saw a UFO IRL, ~I want to believe!~ If you do too, this cute alien-themed manicure is the perfect way to have an extraterrestrial sighting anytime you want—no spaceship required.
What you’ll need:
- A blue or black base polish to replicate the night sky. I used Milani’s Bolting Blue.
- A dense gold glitter polish like Formula X’s Orion’s Belt.
- A bright neon green polish like Floss Gloss’s Con Limon.
- A black nail striper. Mine: Milani’s Nail Art Kit in Black Sketch.
- A silver polish. I used Milani’s Silver Stilettos.
- Other glitter polishes (optional). I used OPI’s Gone Gonzo! and China Glaze Fairy Dust.
- A top coat. My all-time favorite is by Seche Vite.
- A ceramic or paper plate to use as a palette for your polishes.
- A couple of thin-tipped nail brushes. I use this kit.
- A dotting tool like this one.
Paint your nails with your blue or black base polish.
Starting at the tip, paint your nail about three-quarters of the way down with your gold polish. This will be the background for your cute alien guy.
Pour your green polish onto your plate and dab one of the nail brushes in it.
Draw your alien head. Let’s call him Herman.
Let Herman’s face dry, then dab his eyes on with the black striper. Herman is ready to party!
Using a different brush, paint a UFO with silver polish.
Dip your dotting pen into the green polish, then touch it lightly to your nail to make tiny spots on the UFO.
Paint a few more UFOs or aliens on your other nails. For a subtler (aka lazier) look, paint the top half of one nail with one glitter and the bottom half with another glitter. Glitter makes everything look like a STARRY SKY!
Apply your top coat to each nail, and ta-da! You’re now the proud creator of an out-of-this-world manicure that says not only “Look how awesome I am at nail art” but also “TAKE ME TO YOUR LEADER.” ♦