You Asked It

Ask a Grown Woman: MNDR

The synth-pop queen gives you advice on friends with benefits, confidence, and embracing your “mushy side.”

Editor’s note: Since Ask a Grown Mans have traditionally been done by men giving straight girls advice about boys, Ask a Grown Woman has heretofore been a place for queer women to give advice to queer girls. However, we’ve realized that it feels strange to call Ask a Grown Woman THE area for non-hetero love advice on our site, since our other advice columns discuss queer issues as well. Going forward, we’re opening this section up to women of all persuasions and to feature questions about all kinds of love, all kinds of life, and all kinds of lustin’.

There are lots of things to about love MNDR, aka Amanda Warner. Not only is she a synth-pop goddess, as you can hear on her latest album, Feed Me Diamonds, she also makes for a really smart surrogate big sister. If, after hearing her wisdoms in this video, you demand more MNDR, you can follow her on Twitter, Instagram and/or Soundcloud.

Send your most pressing-est questions about to youaskedit@rookiemag.com, with “Ask a Grown” in the subject line. Please include your first name/initials/nickname, your age, and where you live.

• Tyknos93 January 28th, 2014 7:06 PM

oh no’s it is private! also, today’s background is really great. random? yes, maybe.

• Amy Rose January 28th, 2014 7:18 PM

Sorry—it was private for a sec after it went up, but is totally good to go now!

• emseely January 28th, 2014 7:11 PM

love this omg she is so chill. can mndr be my irl best friend now?

• alienbabe January 28th, 2014 8:09 PM

OMG. As soon as I saw MNDR I freaked out, this is so perfect. I love her!

• alienbabe January 28th, 2014 8:12 PM

Angel Haze should be next, I would die!

• sophiethewitch January 28th, 2014 8:57 PM

I vote Bjork or Courtney Love. I also saw an interview where Tavi said she was trying to get Obama for ask a grown man, and that would be SO AWESOME.

Also Winona Ryder!

• Vasia January 29th, 2014 9:45 AM

I vote Beyonce! Either for Ask a grown woman or an interview! How amazing would that be??!

• seahorselava January 28th, 2014 10:04 PM

“Being a bad ass bitch also means showing every side of yourself” is on point advice!

• brontosaurus January 28th, 2014 10:30 PM

This whole thing is so great. The part where she said “if you ever go to an MNDR show and you can’t make out what I’m saying it means I forgot the lyrics ” made me laugh so much.
    Also everything she said about being a bad ass bitch was so wise and so much of what I’ve been thinking about lately.

• Ktkellz January 28th, 2014 11:18 PM

Yo! That beat at the end is actually so cool, I would ttly get down to that.

• littleredridinghood January 29th, 2014 11:27 AM

Could you please get Josie Long to do something for Rookie? She’s a British comedian and I just feel like Rookie as a whole would love her. She’s so amazing!

• oldelectricity January 29th, 2014 6:15 PM

i still vote taytay!!!! please please? she’s the greatest. ALSO HOWEVER THIS WAS SO CHILL AND INSPIRING ESPECIALLY THE REFOCUS/CHANGE-IT-UP PART; and her awesome blindsssss! <3

• linday January 29th, 2014 6:42 PM

I love her. First time ever seeing her and i immediately loved her. She’s so chill.

• julalondon January 30th, 2014 3:27 AM

She seems like an awesome person; and i looooove the asked a grown up section!!! I especially loved the advice on the bad ass bitch!!=)

• Maradoll Mynx January 30th, 2014 10:26 AM

First time exposure to MNDR…yaay! Thanks so much for the intro. I love cool gals who do music and art and have something substantive to say to the other gals!! Also, she’s got this rad vibe that got my curiosity stoked…you just know you could learn a lot from this person…I want more! The beats made me hungry for more as well…headed to soundcloud, see you there Rookies :)