Eye Candy

That’s What Friends Do

The best kinds of buddies make you better.

• Chloe22 December 6th, 2013 3:19 PM

I finally have my official favorite Rookie post! My dad has been legally blind since I was two, and has to use a cane. Soon he will probably need a guide dog, too. Despite his ”disability”, he’s stronger than any able bodied person I know. He has homeschooled me and my sister our entire lives. He also has an (occasionally annoying!) HUGE collection of vintage clothes, and that’s his hobby. Sometimes I forget he has a ”disability”, because all I really ever see is his abilities. I hate that he has to deal with such negative attitudes, like the woman who, after my dad accidentally bumped into her at a super crowded Christmas market, asked her friend ”why a blind guy was here.” A loss of understanding and a sense of equality is the biggest disability to me. Thanks for these awesome pics, again!

• Little Madison December 6th, 2013 7:48 PM

Your dad sounds amazing <33

• AnaRuiz December 6th, 2013 3:53 PM

Eye opening. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

• amyhodkin December 6th, 2013 3:56 PM

I loved reading this and the article you included. A girl on my facebook once posted a picture she had taken (with no permission i assume) of a girl with downs syndrome reading a book captioning it with something along the lines of ‘aw this girl with downs syndrome has just been sat here reading this book aww and she has glittery trainers on’ it was so patronizing, unnecessary and dumb and I sort of wanted to smack my head against the laptop screen.
    x

everythingandamy.co.uk

• Abby December 6th, 2013 5:35 PM

This is perfect, thank you. I have a chronic pain condition, and when you talked about the issues with being someone who looks healthy but isn’t, it really touched me. People are always saying, “but you don’t LOOK sick,” and it’s really frustrating.

• starsinyourheart December 6th, 2013 6:06 PM

this is beautiful. me and my best friend met via a support group for youths with cfs/m.e we’ve been with eachother for everything the last five or so years, i don’t know what i’d do without her. our illnesses don’t define our friendship, but they did make it stronger as we saw eachother at our weakest and sickest and still stuck by eachother :)

• kelsey December 6th, 2013 7:33 PM

This was BRILLIANT. Thank you, Rookie! Thank you for making efforts to break down people’s dumb de-humanization of others in such wonderful, wonderful ways!

• navyblueguava December 6th, 2013 8:16 PM

Such perfect pictures! These are beautiful.

• Flossy Mae December 6th, 2013 8:42 PM

This is beautiful though does anyone else feel like it should have been posted under ‘family’ rather than ‘forever’ as the message I got was about unity and acceptance as opposed to eternity?? Nonetheless, a really lovely set of photos x

• Janis December 6th, 2013 10:34 PM

this is beautiful!

• fluorescentyesterday December 6th, 2013 10:41 PM

I always felt like disability was such a horrible thing to happen to someone but now I’ve accepted that it exists, and beautiful things can come out of it. Thank you.

• Tyknos93 December 7th, 2013 1:46 AM

Thanks so much for this post. I really love that everyone featured was portrayed as just regular kids, because they are. Thank you for sharing your friends and their stories with us!

• cloudinthesky December 7th, 2013 3:45 AM

this really warmed my heart!!<3 one of my favorite rookie posts!

• flocha December 7th, 2013 5:43 AM

This is such a beautiful and eye opening piece, thank you rookie <3

• julalondon December 7th, 2013 6:13 AM

This is a really good post; my uncle and grandma are both sitting in a wheelchair, so for me it has always been a normal “thing” and i get so angry when People stare at them or give them weird Looks. It’s not a big deal, they are normal People for fucks sake!!! And i’m so glad that in this post you showed that that’s what they are, -normal People! Thank you for that!

• kathryn-s December 7th, 2013 11:38 AM

your dress is the cutest thing I’ve ever seen.

• maddyr December 7th, 2013 6:04 PM

Thanks! I got it for $5 at a yard sale. I was pretty excited about it.

• maddyr December 7th, 2013 6:02 PM

These comments make me super happy – thanks, everyone! If you want to learn more about disability issues, come talk to me on tumblr and I’ll point you in the right direction (hellomynameismaddy.tumblr.com).

• alesssurprise December 8th, 2013 1:28 AM

This is so important, and the things that all of Maddy’s friends said were super interesting. I believe this is really nice in terms of educating people on disability issues! Thank you.

• gracieinwonderland December 8th, 2013 3:07 PM

This is wonderful. So eye-opening, thank you.

• olivesocean December 8th, 2013 7:57 PM

Great, really eye-opening article. I’ve always loved Rookie’s uncanny ability to hit the nail on the head with their pieces, especially when it comes to things that are sometimes difficult to talk about!

One suggestion: I have a brother with cerebral palsy/an intellectual disability, and we like to really emphasize “people-first language.” That just means saying things like “person with a disability” rather than “disabled person,” just out of respect. This kind of language highlights the idea that you are not your disability, your disability is merely one of many parts of who you are. Once again, fantastic article!

• maddyr December 9th, 2013 1:00 PM

Thanks, olivesocean! There are actually a lot of people in the disability community who prefer identity-first language (“disabled person”) over person-first language (“person with a disability”). I identify as a disabled person because my disability can’t be separated from the rest of me, and I don’t think that’s a bad thing!

• sparklingbutterfly December 10th, 2013 12:58 AM

Beautiful. Reminds me of this incredible group, Magical Experiences Arts Company, http://www.bemagical.org/. They are currently doing a kickstarter. Check it out!

• Hebe March 2nd, 2014 1:09 PM

both my parents work with people with disabilities and it is so refreshing seeing things like this. great photos and writing! <3