Everything else

Saturday Links: All Our Musical Heroes Edition

Grimes on veganism! A new pressing of the White Album! “The Oral History of Female Drummers!” And so much more.

Jessica

Photo of the TROLL-HAIRED MYSTERY BUG (!) by Trond Larsen.

Photo of the TROLL-HAIRED MYSTERY BUG (!) by Trond Larsen.

I am feeling deeply inspired by every aspect of this newly discovered bug species from Suriname—the iridescent silver New Wave hairstyle, the pink and gold motif on its spindly legs, the way you can’t tell which end is its head and which is its butt. Defs my new spirit animal.

This story made me so incredibly angry I felt like I needed to do some primal scream therapy by the end of the first page. Cops in the Miami area got busted terrorizing African-American residents with extreme–beyond–measure stop and frisk tactics after a shop owner installed a bunch of video cameras in his store to document the harassment of his employees and customers. One of the employees was picked up for “trespassing” on the store’s property 62 times, despite that he wasn’t trespassing—he was working his shift there.

Kat Bjelland (bottom right) with Courtney love (top right) in early band Sugar Babydoll. Photo via The Current.

Note to Babes in Toyland fans: Kat Bjelland is alive and well—and in need of new band members. In this interview, she talks about her earliest beginnings with Courtney Love, the tail end of Babes, and what she’s been up to now. Perhaps best of all, the piece previews her new stuff! One of the other highlights is her talking about when she first moved to Minneapolis and saw Dave Pirner from Soul Asylum, who were then young gods of the scene, at a show: “I remember I went down to First Avenue—I didn’t know anybody—and I would get a little bit drunk, and I saw Dave Pirner. I decided to stalk him for a minute, and I went and kind of badgered him, like, ‘My band is gonna kick your band’s ass.’ And he was so polite…he goes, ‘Oh, OK, what band is it?’” I go, ‘I don’t have one yet, but it’s gonna kick your band’s ass.’ AND THEY DID, DEAR READER, THEY DID.

This story about the pianist Daryl Davis just got more incredible as it went. I don’t want to spoil it, but here’s the beginning: “Davis is not only a musician, he is a person who befriends KKK members and, as a result, collects the robes and hoods of Klansmen who choose to leave the organization because of their friendship with him.”

Laia

The Oral History of Female Drummers was put together by Tom Tom Magazine, a publication devoted entirely to girl drummers, and it’s super cool and inspirational. The performance dispersed female percussionists throughout MoMA’s PS1 Museum in Queens, NY. As they played, a beatboxer walked around and had “conversations” with them, aka mini-jam sessions between her voice and their drums, and it’s 100% AWESOME. The sweet sounds and cool vibez got me thinking that maybe one day I’ll get off my ass and actually learn how to play the drums myself!

Arabelle

Nikki looking like a total babe. Photo via I Don't Know Anything About Breast Cancer.

Nikki looking like a total babe. Photo via I Don’t Know Anything About Breast Cancer.

I am really obsessed with/in awe of Nikki, a 23-year-old babe who was recently diagnosed with breast cancer. She recently began a photo project where she explores her relationship to her body, her chemo, and makeup, and the results so far have blown me away.

Rachael

replace

Grimes and her beloved ice cream, via her Tumblr.

Grimes identifies as vegan, but when she found out about a new Ben & Jerry’s flavor and dared to tumbl about it, she drew some very harsh criticism from the type of vegans she refers to as “dogmatic assholes.” Her response to them was AMAZING. As a vegetarian myself, I’ve experienced some of the same criticism that she’s received—certain parts of the vegetarian community can feel bullying, with its members assuming that if they yell loud enough, you’ll become just as “compassionate” as they are. But Grimes takes a different tack. You really should read the whole thing, but this paragraph says it all: “I would like to fully encourage everyone to be vegan rather than scare them away. I love being vegan…that said, I also occasionally enjoy things I used to eat because it makes me feel good and I am less discouraged about not eating those things the rest of the time.” I fully endorse Grimes’s brand of welcoming veganism—if you want to do something good for the world and for yourself, you shouldn’t be scolded for that.

Rose

Friday was the 45th anniversary of the release of the White Album by The Beatles, which happens to be the first non-compilation CD I ever owned. For the last few years, artist Rutherford Chang has been trying to buy every numbered first pressing of that album that he can find. The resulting show, “We Buy White Albums,” resembled an actual record store, but one that only sold a single LP, in various conditions, from pristine whiteness (its original state) to rainbow-markered to gray. Just in time for the White Album’s birthday, Chang has released the audio component of his project: a track that layers the album from hundreds of different pressings. LISTEN TO THIS THING. IT’S ASTONISHING. It starts out with the familiar sound of “Back in the USSR,” but as the album progresses, the natural inconsistencies and inevitable wear on the vinyl gradually causes the songs to go out of sync, creating echoey choruses, unfamiliar rhythms, and general Wall-of-Sound awesomeness. You can also own a piece of Chang’s project– he’s selling pressings of this track (packaged with an awesome cover and poster) through his website and, if you’re near New York, at the WFMU record fair this weekend. I already bought mine.

Brodie

HAIM and Lorde covered Sheryl Crow’s “Strong Enough” and “You Oughta Know” at a recent VH1 concert and it’s AMAZING.

Britney

Some of the designer's work via Oyster.

Some of the designer’s work via Oyster.

This week, one of my favorite designers, Ann Demeulemeester, left admirers of her brand wallowing in darkness that was different from the usual innovative, black pieces that she creates—the aftermath of her decision to leave her label after 26 years of making masterful, dark clothing. Her reasoning was that she had done all that she could, and that she had to leave the label in order for it to grow. We’ll miss you, Ann; thank you for everything. And good luck to the label in its future endeavors! ♦

• Julianne November 23rd, 2013 1:25 PM

Did anyone else catch this performance of Sheryl Crow’s “Strong Enough” by Haim and Lorde? Haim + Lorde = amazing girl power combination

• Julianne November 23rd, 2013 3:25 PM

Oops, sorry, I totally missed that this was already in the post.

• Naomi November 23rd, 2013 1:28 PM

omg the white album thing is SO SO COOL

• marthaflatley November 23rd, 2013 1:50 PM

I really disagree with the Grimes article. I agree that vegans can seem like assholes because they are so passionate about showing other people what everyone doesn’t not want to see. No one wants to feel like they are contributing to something so horrible.

She thinks ben and jerry’s cows are treated ethically, but how can any dairy farm be ethical when the babies are taken away, chained to tiny crates and sold to veal farms so that the cows can produce milk at all– and all the dairy cows are killed after 4 years when they live to 20-30 naturally. Not to mention the fact that they’re enslaved–everyone deserves their freedom.

She talks about how her skin is better being vegan, she has more energy and feels healthier. That’s great, but what about the animals?

She hasn’t quite understood what veganism is all about. Everyone needs to bear witness and look at the suffering animals in the eye. Otherwise they will remain stuck at this superficial level of understanding, like I most certainly was before watching videos from Toronto Pig Save showing pigs suffering in transport trucks and in the slaughterhouses, and after that seeking out the truth for myself.

• thebrownette November 23rd, 2013 3:40 PM

Thank you. I wouldn’t “scold” her, but veganism is largely an ethical belief expressed through dietary choices. If you eat animal products, you. are. not. vegan.
      And if eating some is okay with you, fine. Just don’t claim to be vegan.

• Kelly K November 24th, 2013 9:22 AM

I see nothing wrong with her calling herself vegan. Look, when I only did vegetarianism, there were one or two times when my parents had leftovers and I felt sad that they were wasting perfectly good food. Granted, she went out and bought herself this ice cream, but I don’t see any reason why she shouldn’t call herself vegan as long as she’s committed to stop eating animal products now and in the future.
        When people find out I’m vegan, they generally go on and on about how they could never do it, and I think if you have people who occasionally slip up and get an ice cream but still are vegan, they won’t be as intimidated. People will start to reduce the meat and dairy in their diets. Maybe not eliminate, but if a lot of people reduce animal product consumption it still does a lot of good.

• EnidEnvy November 24th, 2013 7:21 PM

amen. you are vegan, or you are not. but its like she got all defensive when people called her out on not being a vegan. she is very clearly NOT a vegan. and hey, that is her choice. but as a public figure who promotes veganism, she cant be really surprised that people called her out on it. it is the internet after all.

• Flyer November 25th, 2013 1:50 PM

I disagree about veganism being “largely an ethical belief expressed through dietary choices”. This is only the case for some vegans. People can eat a vegan diet for whatever reasons they choose, whether because they want to promote animal welfare, or want to be healthier, or just don’t like the idea or taste of dairy and meat products. It’s a complex world of food out there and sometimes telling people you are “vegan” (or another label) even if you eat ice cream once a month or will have some of your grandparents’ beef stew helps people at least start being able to understand you (and possibly feed you) more easily than if you’d said something more complicated.

• thebrownette December 20th, 2013 12:41 AM

Vegan, by definition: a person who does not eat ANY food that comes from animals and who often also does not use animal products such as leather

• Queenofthemay November 23rd, 2013 4:32 PM

No mention of Lily Allen’s epic new single??

• goodgodlemon November 23rd, 2013 8:31 PM

I see what she’s trying to do but it’s extremely ill-conceived and problematic: http://black-in-asia.com/post/66815998717/lily-allens-racist-new-music-video-hard-out

• Queenofthemay November 24th, 2013 3:16 AM

I have seen a lot of articles talking about how racist the video is, but I think they are missing the point. Lily Allen is famous for her sarcasm and irony, the video makes a point of being genderist, racist, of objectifying women, because that’s what’s the music and media industry does, every day, without anyone giving them crap. At the end of the day I could count the number of popular music hits this year that have promoted gender equality on one hand, and I applaud her for doing it.

• Arabelle November 24th, 2013 2:36 PM

Since Lily Allen is a white woman, her sarcasm and irony operating using the bodies of black women doesn’t make it ok because she’s still using black women’s bodies to make a point. you can’t really prioritize gender over race when it comes to commentary — they are both important. operating from her point, any commentary she is trying to make throws other women under the bus that don’t align with her idea of what women should be doing, and that’s not ok.

• flapperhatgirl November 23rd, 2013 5:05 PM

That article about Daryl Davis gave me more hope in humanity than I’ve had in years.

• honorarygilmoregal November 23rd, 2013 5:33 PM

That White Album thing is so rad. In the beginning it sounds like a hundred planes landing!

• seemoo November 23rd, 2013 6:14 PM

The article discussing the civil rights violations by police in Miami-Dade is absolutely awful. I’ve already sent the department an email and hope others do the same so the police chief will actually do SOMETHING about it. I can’t believe the city is supporting the officers.

• jenaimarley November 23rd, 2013 7:06 PM

The fourth segment on Daryl Davis in this Snap Judgement podcast is just too fantastic!

Also I’ve been thinking a lot recently about going vegan when I start college next fall, because of my hate for the cruel, exploitive, and environmental destructive mass animal-product industries. My parents haven’t been super supportive of the idea for some particular reasons / we raise our own chickens and have access to happy animal products at home. Additionally, I’m taking a gap year right now in a country where I am lucky to be successfully sticking to my vegetarian diet.
    But I do worry about the kind of restrictions being vegan has and wouldn’t want to fit into the angry, restrictive, dogmatic category of veganism.
    Thus, thank you Grimes for painting veganism in a light for which I can stand strong!

• TessAnnesley November 23rd, 2013 7:12 PM

Oh my God the female drummers thing looks AMAZING!!!!

It is SO funny that you would post that today, because yesterday I posted my documentary film about my favourite girl drummer ever, Meg White! It took me 8 months (whoops) because I just wanted to do one of my heroes justice… she’s just so brave and true to herself and such a badass girl. There are still assholes the world over who want girls to be little and pretty and quiet, and every crash of her cymbals drowned them out.

So if you love chicks with sticks or The White Stripes or just ROCKING OUT, then go ahead and check it out: it’s called Make Some Noise!

Love Rookie forever and ever, from Tess xoxoxox

• Sophii November 23rd, 2013 7:19 PM

The Lorde and Haim cover is fantastic! Ugh I love them all so much :’) The White Album thing is phenomenal!! I agree with the comment someone posted on here about Grimes. Although I think it’s good that she is promoting veganism therefore doing something, by saying that it’s okay the eat beef stew from time to time and still call yourself vegan is kind of defeating the whole point. However, I do think it’s important that people remember that veganism isn’t all about militant extremists etc etc because that stigma does need to be broken down xoxo

• goodgodlemon November 23rd, 2013 8:08 PM

I was a vegetarian for most of my life but I eat meat now because I have an eating disorder and it is very hard for me to eat most foods, so I feel I really need those extra nutrients/protein/calories/whatever in order to be as healthy as I possibly can. I try not to eat too much meat, and to only eat meat that is “humanely” raised/slaughtered.

I don’t believe in shaming people about their dietary choices because you never know where someone is coming from. I know a lot of people say “I couldn’t survive without eating meat” but it’s truly difficult when the only thing you can bring yourself to eat for days is a meat or animal product. At the same time, I often feel really guilty about eating meat. Has anyone faced something similar?

• jenaimarley November 23rd, 2013 9:13 PM

I was vegetarian for many years but was forced by my parents to begin eating some servings of meat as medicine when I began struggling with an ED as well.
      I have returned to my vegetarian diet since recovering from my struggles and moving away from home this year, but I still fight with myself over the idea of becoming vegan because eating “any old” animal products is inconsistent with my reasons for being vegetarian which are based on the industries but imposing the many vegan restrictions on things I actually really enjoy eating (meat isn’t hard for me to give up since I really don’t like it) could be very dangerous and triggering for someone who has struggled with disordered eating.

Basically: I totally feel where you are coming from.
      I also TOTALLY agree with you about not being judgmental about other’s eating choices, because you really can’t ever know where they are coming from.
      My general feeling is that vegetarianism/veganism is about decreasing suffering in the world. If being vegetarian/vegan causes you to suffer and is unhealthy for you physically or mentally because of the restrictions imposed, then it is not worth it.
      Guilt is a really hard feeling to overcome, but when I find myself feeling guilty, I try to remind myself that it’s not productive or helpful to ANYONE.
      It’s very important to be intentional about where the animal products you are consuming come from, when you can, but most of all just give thanks to the animal from which you are receiving the nourishment that you will use to go out and make the world a better, less cruel/destructive place.

• Elizabete November 24th, 2013 5:46 AM

I have also suffered from an ED and despite being vegetarian for many years was forced to eat meat while in hospital because they thought I was restricting and didn’t listen to anything I said (still get nightmares about the terrible doctors).

However, veganism helped me to overcome the ED. I wanted to become vegan for long time because I am really passionate about animal rights, but my parents didn’t allow me and it was kind of a goal that I would recover in order to be allowed to be vegan, haha.
        I also learned more about nutrition and became comfortable with eating more and trying out new foods because I knew I wasn’t “stealing” from animals and that I needed to replace the animal products with others, I wanted to prove people that veganism is healthy and not all vegans are stick thin.

Also, it was healthier for my body because it turned out I was allergic to milk and eggs and slightly to gluten which is something that I know has happened to very many people after ED. I am not sure why, but might be because ED damages our body greatly, especially digestive system…

Please do not take this as shaming you for not being vegan, I wasn’t able to go vegan for long time too! I just wanted to share how veganism helped me because I know many other girls with similar experiences.
        ED’s are so terrible and I wish you both to fully recover soon ♡

• goodgodlemon November 24th, 2013 7:34 PM

Thank you for the kind responses! It’s always good to know you’re not the only one.

• jenaimarley November 25th, 2013 12:19 AM

Thank for sharing your story!
          I could see many ways in which the attention and compassion of Veganism could empower someone who’s struggled with an ED to bring health to themselves as well as to the planet. It inspires me that for you, Veganism has been a successful part of your healing and I’ll take it into consideration of my own decision-making.

• soviet_kitsch November 25th, 2013 1:11 PM

i don’t have an ed, but i do have a chronic illness and i’d like to jump in and say my vegan diet has really, really helped me. my meds make me sick and vegan food (such as soy protein shakes, veggie soups, bean chilis etc) is easier on my stomach, not to mention the fact that not eating dairy has made my joints way less swollen than they used to be. if you can eat a healthy vegan diet, i can’t recommend it enough, but if it’s not right for you, then no problem! do what suits YOU, not what you’ve heard suits you. take care all you rookies <3

• Nadifa November 24th, 2013 6:09 AM

Haim and Lorde, two of my favorites blend in one.

• Maki Unicorn November 24th, 2013 6:44 AM

i’m not a vegan myself but anyway, thanks god people understand that in this situation grimes is wrong.
    of cause, the girl can eat what she wants, it’s just wrong to call yourself a vegan and justify eating ice-cream at the same time. it’s like be a lesbian but really enjoy having sex with boys on fridays!
    it’s wrong to blur the real definition of veganism. or whatever else concepts. even if you are grimes.

• Anaheed November 24th, 2013 6:07 PM

Things I do not have a problem with:
      • vegans occasionally having ice cream
      • lesbians having sex with boys on Fridays

• Maki Unicorn November 24th, 2013 8:01 PM

Then, i don’t see any real devotion to your ideology. How can you do two ideologically opposite things and feel ok about it?

• Anaheed November 24th, 2013 9:13 PM

I think all of us do ideologically opposite things all the time, and that learning to be OK about it is necessary for happiness. I think ideology should be a guide, not a straitjacket. And in any case, sexual orientation is not an ideology, at least not for most people.

• Torrie November 25th, 2013 3:03 PM

But see, the thing is, sexuality exists on a spectrum and veganism doesn’t.

I don’t understand how there would be any harm in calling Grimes what she actually is — a vegetarian, I presume. Like others have pointed out, the words we use have meaning. I don’t think it helps the cause of vegans (and it is a cause working toward lessening harm to sentient beings, both human and animal) to say someone is vegan when they are acting in opposition to the movement. Just as it is incorrect for someone to call themselves an intersectional feminist while ignoring the needs of trans* persons, it is wrong to call yourself vegan when you are not.

I’m not trying to start an argument and I absolutely appreciate everything Rookie has done for myself and others. I’m just asking for more consideration toward wording and its implications, even if you do not feel it is personally important. Others might.

• girlhero November 25th, 2013 4:32 PM

magnificently well said, Torrie ✿

• thebrownette December 14th, 2013 10:56 PM

Thank you. Grimes calling herself a vegan is akin to a feminist only slutshaming sometimes, in my mind.

• navyblueguava November 24th, 2013 7:02 AM

These were amazing- loved them!

• Erin. November 24th, 2013 12:46 PM

No Doctor Who?
    For the record, the episode was unbelievable!

• grinsekatze November 25th, 2013 11:35 AM

oh god yes, it was soo amazing!!

• Maki Unicorn November 24th, 2013 9:20 PM

Sure, it’s nothing wrong with them doing whatever they like! It just words have meanings. And for someone who eats ice cream the word is «not a vegan». Just as for someone who sleeps with boys every Friday the word is «not a lesbian». It’s cool if they do though, it just means they’re something else.

• Torrie November 24th, 2013 9:43 PM

I mean… Rookie, I really appreciate you, but I am extremely put-off by this post about how Grimes is taking a “flexible” approach to veganism. If you consciously choose to consume animal products, you are not vegan. It is an ethical stance.

You have always been very careful with wording in the past, making sure to include people of all orientations and identities. I don’t understand why you would become lax about a different topic. I wouldn’t allow myself to have the title of vegan until I had completely switched over, vitamins and all. It is a word that holds special meaning to me, and others.

In the future, if someone isn’t truly vegan, please do not make them out to be so. You can call them vegetarian or “plant-based” but do not abuse the term and ideology. Thanks.

• Maki Unicorn November 24th, 2013 11:11 PM

yes! i feel really disappointed about the whole thing too. like. i’m still a little bit shocked(

• Tavi November 24th, 2013 11:13 PM

“You have always been very careful with wording in the past, making sure to include people of all orientations and identities. I don’t understand why you would become lax about a different topic.”

Because we consider veganism to be a more lax topic than sexual orientation, race, and other topics.

• Maki Unicorn November 24th, 2013 11:31 PM

but.. “It just words have meanings. And for someone who eats ice cream the word is «not a vegan». Just as for someone who sleeps with boys every Friday the word is «not a lesbian». It’s cool if they do though!! it just means they’re something else.”

• girlhero November 25th, 2013 5:02 PM

It may not be important to you, but there are many individuals who believe that eating animal products contributes to horrific, violent genocide of hundreds of species of sentient beings.

I am not a vegan, but it’s easy for me to see how an individual who believes this (^) would come off as a “dogmatic asshole”. I hope we would all become dogmatic assholes in the face of perceived violent genocide.

What vegans believe is VERY important to them and integral to their lives, and it’s easy to see why.

Careful consideration of race, sexual orientation and gender play into a greater goal of being inclusive and promoting diversity. Veganism is an unwavering value for many. When you downplay an individual’s integral values and worldview (born from their diverse culture, experiences and even religious beliefs), you are not contributing to an environment of diversity at all.

I’m not saying we need to have a vegan’s rights movement, but Rookie is a supposed to be a place where girls can go to feel respected and empowered, not be belittled in light of other social problems.

• whiskeytangofoxtrot November 25th, 2013 6:14 PM

girlhero, you are thoughtful and succinct and I like your writing.

The key difference, however, in your list in your fourth paragraph is that race, sexual orientation and gender are not something people have a choice in, and everything else in your list is something people do have a choice in. That choice should be respected, yes, but so should someone’s allowing themselves flexibility in that choice.

Vegan is not a race or a contest, there’s no vegan-er than thou holy line in the sand, and to not allow someone who calls themselves vegan the choice to waver once in a while also doesn’t leave a lot of room for respect and empowerment.

You are right, though, no one should be belittled for their choices, on EITHER side of the spectrum.

• thebrownette December 14th, 2013 10:57 PM

Thank you.

• Ladymia69 December 28th, 2013 10:53 AM

This is a subjective viewpoint. I see the way we objectify and use animals as horrific. others may not. I see the ethical principles behind veganism to be just as extreme as someone else’s convictions about race or religion.

Please don’t undermine what can be a very strong issue for some because you do not see any reason to retract a statement that you see fitting to be more “lax” about.

• lolaferocious November 25th, 2013 8:57 AM

I’m really disappointed with your portrayal of veganism as a ‘lax topic’. I understand veganism is a choice, unlike race, gender etc, but for most vegans it is the only morally conscionable choice. I understand that it is a privilege for me to be able to sustain myself on a vegan diet, but I don’t think that negates the right I (and other vegans) have to defend our dietary ideology. Since becoming vegan, I’ve experienced bullying from colleagues, friends and family for my dietary choices, which has been very hurtful and made me really question my place in a lot of my social circles. I usually enjoy reading Rookie, even though I am older than your intended audience, because you do take care to include people who can be discriminated against in regular society. Unfortunately I don’t think you have taken the time to consider that, even though vegans are different by choice, this choice is the only one that seems ethically available to them. I don’t think it’s right to alienate vegans because of this, which intentionally or not, is what you have done.

• whiskeytangofoxtrot November 25th, 2013 1:17 PM

Veganism is a CHOICE and a lifestyle decision, it is not law, nor are there any laws governing it and how it is done, and unlike a food allergy, such as “BEING IN THE SAME ROOM AS PEANUTS WILL KILL ME” if someone who is vegan CHOOSES (free will here, people) to eat ice cream once in a while, I am certainly not going to hold it against them, nor throw dictionary definitions at them, because, again, it is a CHOICE, not law, and people are allowed to have some personal flexibility in their personal decisions.

I always find that the people who are the least confident in their personal lifestyle decisions are the most rigid about them, are the first to scream the loudest when someone else steps over that self-imposed line, and also need the most validation from others about their decision.

• Wisteria November 25th, 2013 2:31 PM

Skipping over the whole “what defines a vegan” discussion, I agree with Grimes that a high percentage of vegans come off as dogmatic assholes.
    Personally I see nothing wrong with eating meat. I DO NOT in any way, shape or form support the modern meat industry. Its disgusting, filthy, and unnatural. Not to mention how bad the meat they produce is for people.
    But I feel no qualms about the act of consuming the flesh of another animal. But that’s just me. I’m not going to try and convert anyone to meat eating. And I DON’T appreciate when people try and convert me to vegetarianism or veganism.
    When you do its like you’re implying I’m an idiot, who would live my life like you if only I was enlightened.
    I have a computer, I have internet, I have google.
    IF I wanted to know more than I ALREADY know about animal cruelty or the benefits of going vegan I could look them up in thee seconds.
    AND it isn’t impossible to know these things and still choose to eat meat.

• soviet_kitsch November 25th, 2013 11:13 PM

i’m a vegan and i 100% agree with this. i hate the dogmatic wanker vegans who are obsessed with being so holier-than-thou and pretentious

• shelley November 25th, 2013 7:39 PM

I used to tell people that I would try to be “as vegan as possible”. I do think we should applaud Grimes for encouraging people to try not to eat animal-based products. I mean every little helps especially when animal products are one of the main causes of global warming. If telling people she is vegan helps Grimes get through day to day life then that’s her choice. Yes meat and animal products come from suffering and that can’t be denied but it’s her decision. Personally as someone who identifies as a vegetarian I would not eat beef stew, but I wouldn’t look down on someone who did if doing that is one of very few exclusions to a vegan diet. Being vegan must be so hard. Alicia Silverstone encourages people to “flirt” with veganism if they need to.
    p.s. Lily Allen is so racist I boo her song boo!

• maryapushkin November 26th, 2013 5:59 AM

Nothing about Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines?