Everything else

Editor’s Letter

November 2013: Family

The cast of "Sam and Friends," Jim Henson's first TV show, including a proto–Kermit the Frog.

The cast of “Sam and Friends,” Jim Henson’s first TV show, including a proto–Kermit the Frog.

Happy November, Rookies!

This month’s theme is FAMILY. We’ll be talking a lot about those people who are raising us, the ones we live or lived with, and the families we build for ourselves. And the families we only feel like we know, like the ones in The Royal Tenenbaums, The Squid and the Whale, Sesame Street, the Muppets, Fraggle Rock, The Cosby Show, Family Matters, Full House, Who’s the Boss, Diff’rent Strokes, Little Miss Sunshine, Parenthood, Bob’s Burgers, The Simpsons, Gilmore Girls, Six Feet Under, The Addams Family, Freaky Friday, Fun Home, ETC., FOREVER, BECAUSE WOWEE, there are SO many stories about families, and people always talk about family like it’s this sacred institution, or like you’re not allowed to question your family’s unconditional love for you, and you have to love them unconditionally, and huuuuugs all aroooouuund for everyoneeee.

But…unconditional love is stupid? A person should meet certain conditions to be deemed deserving of your love! And also, what about the episode of Boy Meets World where Shawn’s half-brother is being weird and Shawn says to Cory, “Eddie’s only blood. YOU’RE my family”? And also, WHAT ABOUT THE EPISODE WHERE SHAWN ADOPTS A PIG?

When we wrote our contributors about this theme, Anaheed included this quotation from a Joss Whedon interview:

I am a great believer in found families, and I’m not a great believer in blood. Although I love my family, even the ones I grew up with, to me I’ve always felt that the people who treated you with respect and included you in their lives were your family, and the people who were related to you by blood might happen to be those people but that correlation was a lot less [strong] than society believes it is.

So this month is neither a big happy Thanksgiving dinner nor a massive bedroom-door slam accompanied by a “LEAVE ME ALONE”—it’s a bit of both, plus an ode to the people whom you choose to love and include in your life. (On that note, be sure to saunter over to our events page to see if we’re doing anything in your area soon. ROOKIE FAMILY. Aw.)

How was your Halloween? Have you sent us a photo for our reader costume gallery yet (see the orange box at the top right of this page)? Enjoy this month!

Love,
Tavi

• DymondMag November 1st, 2013 3:24 PM

I think the whole thing about choosing your own family is really interesting. Looking forward to the content this month! (plus anything to do with the Royal Tenenbaums just makes me happy)

• katie November 1st, 2013 3:26 PM

literally the best thing ever: the glass family

• rosystars November 1st, 2013 3:42 PM

If we need a parent to sign the photo-release form, should we print it, have them sign it, and then scan it back into the computer and attach it to the email? I’m a bit confused.

• amescs November 1st, 2013 4:40 PM

I’m very excited for this month, it’s gonna be great.

• dreamygirl November 1st, 2013 4:49 PM

i really just wanna see 10000 tenenbaum family vibes

• JaneLane November 1st, 2013 4:54 PM

unconditional love IS stupid!! great editors letter!!!

• kathryn-s November 1st, 2013 5:08 PM

Maybe it’s because of Girl Meets World, but I’ve been hearing people mention Boy Meets World a LOT lately and it really makes me wanna (re-)re-watch! It was the first show that I ever binge-watched all of the episodes in chronological order. (haha that this is a milestone in my life since I am so obsessed with television.)

• Amal November 1st, 2013 5:15 PM

“I am a great believer in found families, and I’m not a great believer in blood”

I love this theme :)

• lindzi November 1st, 2013 6:02 PM

GILMORE GIRLS! YESSSSSSSSS

• Space Witch November 1st, 2013 6:20 PM

If I don’t see any Pixar included in this month I will be SO disappointed. The Incredibles, Finding Nemo, Toy Story, Brave…way too important

• Ally_O November 1st, 2013 7:02 PM

Would you guys ever consider doing an event in Boston/New England? I feel like the most recent events have just been New York and the West Coast. :(

• dreamygirl November 1st, 2013 7:15 PM

i also have noticed that tumblr is pointing out how amazing the addams family is–might wanna take notice of that, rookie?

• DoNotClick November 1st, 2013 7:36 PM

I don’t believe undonditional love is “stupid.” It can be set aside as a different emotion from love. Just as deep affection differs from love, love differs from an unconditional one. I think the easiest example to explain is between a parent and their child. However, some people have reached it through others, and it can even be described as a spiritual state as well. In many cases that unconditional love is unrequited, and of course that creates a void in the heart. But guess what? That person continues to love the other. I can only give a very general example of how it would feel like; Love a person unconditionally (many times it is not a choice) and they break your heart without any regard for you. Yes, it hurts and it feels awful. But if time permits, you realize your true feelings for that person. I’ve gone through this myself, and even though it’s not the happiest emotion, it very much exists, and only shows the strength of love any person can have.

• Coco November 4th, 2013 8:47 AM

I agree – unconditional love is not stupid. This is the only time Tavi has ever said something that I disagree with. Unconditional love is on level with forgiveness, which is one of the most amazing things us humans are capable of.
      The unconditional love my parents have for their children amazes me. I see it as a strength. If there weren’t unconditional love in my life, I’d have lost a lot of people for reasons that were beyond my control i.e. being a really difficult person to deal with whilst suffering from mental illness.

I think maybe she meant that just loving someone because you ‘have’ to is stupid. Yeah, sometimes blood families don’t work out for certain reasons, and if someone is a total ass to you, you should’ve just HAVE to stick around at your own expense. But the notion of unconditional love is very different to that, and it is certainly NOT “stupid”.

• Little Madison November 1st, 2013 7:49 PM

My cousins were wondering if you guys will ever come to England? :)

• zombiesockmonkey November 1st, 2013 11:14 PM

Just out of curiosity has Rookie always had a model release form?

• greenie November 2nd, 2013 2:16 AM

i totally agree that family isn’t just about blood and we build our own family’s for the people we think deserve our love. i think this is going to be one of my favorite months.

• Nadifa November 2nd, 2013 10:42 AM

How I wish I was living in the US. One of the things I wanna do is to attend Rookie’s events which seem so cool :’(

• oriana November 2nd, 2013 1:36 PM

I am very excited about this month’s theme! I’m always looking for that family feeling, but god is it hard to find!

xo

• snarkascending November 3rd, 2013 7:10 AM

Are you still seeking “family” submissions?

• Anaheed November 3rd, 2013 6:56 PM

Yup!

• Coco November 6th, 2013 1:36 AM

Will rookie reply to submissions?

• Danielle November 6th, 2013 1:40 AM

Yes, absolutely! It may take us a while because we are a tiny team, but we look at every submission.

• Stella November 3rd, 2013 10:21 AM

Quite excited for this month! And I love that Joss Whedon quote. :-)

• November 3rd, 2013 11:16 AM

I think it is important to consider how empowering it can be to explore and understand your family from generations before your parents in order to more clearly understand your parents and your experience in your family. Even if you don’t find your own family welcoming, perhaps especially if you don’t find your own family welcoming, the perspective offered through history can be healing and incredibly helpful in picking family of your own. <3

• DomDom November 20th, 2013 2:20 PM

Okay, I’ve been meaning to say this for a while, but does anyone else feel that Rookie is really different recently. I used to feel like Rookie did new, fun and crazy articles but now it’s a bit like recycled stuff….