Style

Scream Queens

Outfit inspiration for fighting off demons of all kinds.

You can count on horror movie mavens to have some pretty dope clothes that translate easily to real life, because not only do these ladies have to look good onscreen, but they also need to be prepared to defend themselves against monsters and evildoers at a moment’s notice, so comfort is a priority. Here are four scream queens with looks that kill; may they inspire your outfit choices next time you have to battle the Big Bad (which, let’s face it, is every day when you’re in high school).

rosemarysbabycollage

In Rosemary’s Baby (1968), Mia Farrow plays Rosemary, a woman who moves into a new apartment with her husband and immediately becomes preggo. Her husband, Guy, starts having shady meetings with some shady new neighbors and weird things keep happening around them (not to mention inside her body), and Rosemary begins to suspect that Guy is involved with a Satan-worshipping cult…and that something is very wrong with her baby. Scary-ass stuff, to be sure, but throughout it all Rosemary still be lookin’ good! She wears collared tent dresses, matching plaid scarves and hats, and gets her famous pixie haircut. And she wears a cool necklace, a gift from the creepy neighbors, that contains something called “tannis root” (uh-oh). Luckily, you don’t have to be carrying the spawn of Satan (imagine THAT episode of Teen Mom!) to get in on that chic mod style! Hannah has a tutorial for Rosemary’s beauty steez here; for the rest of your body, try a dress with a Peter Pan collar and some sweet black flats.

dd

Clockwise from far left: dress, $90, Modcloth; Tannis Root Pendant Necklace, $56, Etsy; earrings, $7.50; Revlon Grow Luscious Lash Potion Mascara, $6, Walgreens; Betsey Johnson buckle flats, $69, Urban Outfitters.

SUSPIRIAcollage

Suspiria (1977) is the first movie in the Italian horror king Dario Argento’s trilogy about ancient witches who secretly and maliciously reign different parts of the world. After Suzy Bannion (Jessica Harper) begins dance training at a distinguished academy in Germany, peculiar things start to happen…including MURDER! The movie is chock-full of beautiful yet terrifying imagery, and throughout it Suzy wears really cool ’70s dance-student duds. My favorite scene has this crazy light-up peacock—until the eBay gods answer my prayers for one of my own, I’ll be decorating myself with peacock accessories like these earrings:

dddd

Clockwise from far left: maxi dress, $59, Urban Outfitters; patent-leather shoes, $40, Topshop; peacock earrings, $18, Modcloth; OPI nail polish in Big Apple, $9, Ulta; Sheen Supreme Lipstick in Korean Candy, $20, M.A.C. Cosmetics.

carrie collage

Carrie (1976) stars Sissy Spacek (one of our eternal style icons as the kind of girl you probably don’t want to piss off—a teenager with telekinetic powers, which she uses them to wreak revenge on her bullying classmates. Ever since I saw this movie, I’ve found myself trying to move shit with my mind. I just wanted to be able to do something cool like make a bowl of cereal fly to me so I don’t have to get up from the kitchen table (lazy-ass). Before a bucket of pig’s blood ruins her outfit, Carrie really works her prom look: a pink slip dress, light makeup, and a tiara. This would be perfect for your own school dance (pig’s blood not necessary).

sds

Clockwise from far left: pink slip dress, $87.50, Farfetch; tiara, $18.50, Icing; platform heels, $79, Dorothy Perkins; corsage, $8, TheBridesBouquet.com; Ardency Inn Americana lip pencil in Delancey, $23, Sephora.

screamcollage

In Scream (1996), Neve Campbell plays Sidney Prescott, a teenager whose classmates are being murdered by a mysterious killer in a terrifying mask modeled after Edvard Munch’s painting The Scream. Before murdering them, the killer calls each one of his victims to give them a horror-movie trivia quiz. After Sydney receives one of these calls, she has to fight for her life. Her look is very ’90s casual: a denim jacket, baby tee, and jeans. I’d recommend the same outfit for any kind of ass-kicking.

sdsd

Clockwise from top left: jean jacket, $29, Target; T-shirt, $15.50, Bella+Canvas; sneakers, $40, Keds; NYX powder blush in Mocha, $6, Ulta; retro-style wired phone handset for cellphone/tablet, $13, Newegg.com.

• elliecp October 16th, 2013 3:18 AM

Such great movies! Going to have to get my game on for Halloween :)

• ray sims October 16th, 2013 6:14 AM

i’m going as carrie for halloween!! so hard to find a good dress but i’m gonna feel so kickass

• Lucy23 October 16th, 2013 6:59 AM

Me too!!!!

• ray sims October 16th, 2013 12:16 PM

oh my gosh yay!! how’s your costume going?<3

• Alienor October 16th, 2013 8:00 AM

SCREAM MOVIES <3

• Katzemuse October 16th, 2013 11:16 AM

hey, great article but you may want to fix the typo in the Carrie style section. pretty sure you meant telekinesis, not telepathic. :~)

• airplanes.books October 16th, 2013 12:14 PM

i love all of these movies!

the style and aesthetic in suspiria is so inspirational that my friend and i even named our vintage shop after that film.

• christinachristina October 16th, 2013 12:33 PM

This seems like a good place to post this question to my fellow Rookies (can we get some Rookie forums already?!) What are ya’ll dressing up as for Halloween? Tina Belcher here. :-D

• Clementine Rose October 16th, 2013 4:32 PM

Well Tina, I’m from New Zealand (where The Lord of The Rings was filmed…so yeah, I’m a Hobbit from Middle Earth), and here we don’t really celebrate Halloween. If I was, though, I’d dress up as a ghost girl. Like, wear a long, flowing dress, and wear dark eye makeup (my skin’s quite pale, so that would work). The only rule would be that I’d have to wear only white and pale grey. Awesome. Cue me waltzing up and down the neighbourhood, scaring all the kids. Which is likely. They’d probably end up laughing instead, eh?

So what’re you dressing up as, Tina?

• periwinkle_dreams October 17th, 2013 3:56 PM

I second the forum idea :)

I’m going to be Harley Quinn! I do have a bf, but he doesn’t have any purple suits or anything, so I don’t think I’ll have a Joker. But I think I’ll be recognizable anyway – I don’t have the time or money to get/make a Harley bodysuit, but I’m going to use a Rookie tutorial from way back (http://rookiemag.com/2012/04/how-to-turn-a-t-shirt-into-a-dress/) to make a dress version of her costume! Really hoping it turns out well.

• Ladymia69 October 16th, 2013 1:43 PM

ROOKIE READERS, YOU MUST SEE SUSPIRIA IMMEDIATELY! That movie changed my aesthetic entirely!

• mariasnow October 17th, 2013 11:17 AM

it’s supposed to be kind of like Snow White and is I believe one of the last technicolor movies and the colors alone are just so lovely. I love looking at this movie but not so close to bed times that I dream I attend that school.

• Tyknos93 October 17th, 2013 5:34 PM

Totally had a Suspiria themed style post in mind for my personal blog. Beat to the punch yet again by Rookie!

• Clementine Rose October 16th, 2013 4:28 PM

Oh wow, these are awesome! I’ve never seen any of these movies, but I’ve heard of Rosemary’s Baby and Scream before. Creeeeeepy stuff there. Marie, I love that grey dress under Suspiria. It’s a little long, perhaps, but still really pretty. Thank you for writing this article!

• whyamidreamingwhenimstillawake November 1st, 2013 4:10 AM

I feel like there should be shadowhunter stuff in here… Demon fighting and all that, ya know.