Everything else

Saturday Links: Morrissey on Morrissey Edition

Moz will tell you the story of his life.

Stephanie

morrissey_autobio

Morrissey’s autobiography came out Thursday in Europe, and it’s selling like crazy. Even though I’ve been a big Moz/Smiths fan since junior high, I’m waiting to get it for now. (I’m not really sure I’m ready to hear him bash Johnny Marr and other people I admire, which apparently he does at great length.) If you’re like me and want to just dip your toes in first, The Daily Beast has a list of 13 of the “juiciest bits.” Warning: #3 is weird, and #13 makes me ache a little as a woman. But #6 is about Morrissey’s teenage sleepovers, and that’s pretty awesome.

Tavi

For her spring 2014 collection, Rachel Antonoff made this video, wherein her parents tell the story of how they met, and a buncha swell people like Gillian Jacobs, Jack Antonoff, and Mae Whitman act it out. It is the sweetest/cutest/funniest, and I now have a crush on everyone in it as well as on every person I walk by on the street as well as on all the clothes. A+ slumber-party-pizza points forever.

My best pal Sheba just relaunched the website for her hair bizness, Sparrow for Everyone, this week, and I keep rewatching this wonderful video about Cathy Hope, the woman Sheba and her partner worked with to make their essential oils. Hearing her talk about how our brains respond to smells over shots of her New Mexico home is its own form of therapy—at the end you feel like you’ve been told the secret to happiness. Cathy Hope, please be my life mentor.

It doesn’t come back till January, but yesterday Girls graced us anxious fans with a little behind-the-scenes preview of season three. I am most excited to see Hannah be a well-adjusted person for two seconds—also for Shoshanna to get it on with a bunch of weirdos.

The trailer for Wes Anderson’s new movie, The Grand Budapest Hotel, is out. I need say no more.

Britney

petra_instagram

Last Saturday, Anna talked about the backlash against at a T-shirt featuring a menstruating vulva that Rookie’s very own Petra Collins designed for American Apparel. This week, Petra wrote a brilliant essay on censorship for Oyster. It was partially in response to negative reactions to the shirt but was mostly about the fact that her Instagram account was deleted because she posted the picture of herself that you see here. Bikini pics don’t necessarily break any of Instagram’s rules (Petra points out that more than 5 million images have the #bikini tag), and neither do unshaved bikini lines. “Through this removal, I really felt how strong of a distrust and hate we have towards female bodies,” she says. “The deletion of my account felt like a physical act, like the public coming at me with a razor…forcing me to cover up, forcing me to succumb to society’s image of beauty.”

And speaking of ways in which society forces its effed-up ideals on women, over at Jezebel, Dodai Stewart writes that even though people like Drake and Robin Thicke have hit songs about her, a “good girl” doesn’t even exist.

nirvana_hall_and_oates

Among the best news I got this week was that Nirvana may be added to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2014—they, along with Hall & Oates (above right), Linda Ronstadt, and the Replacements, have been nominated for induction. The public can help decide who gets in via Rolling Stone, and as of Friday Nirvana had the most votes. That makes me so happy.

Dylan

ms_veteran

Women in the American military face unimaginable social and psychological challenges while they’re serving, and it’s so sad to realize how neglected they often are when they come back home. My heart breaks for struggling veterans, but this Al Jazeera story about the Ms. Veteran America pageant brings me a glimmer of optimism. It’s not just some banal battle of beauty: The winner is chosen on the basis of interviews, military knowledge, talent, and demonstrated advocacy for women in the armed forces. As contestant Melissa Strock says: “This is about our service and about our femininity.” I think both deserve honors.

Julianne

VFiles has a new video series called Out Hear, which hosts Danielle and Matt describe as a “music show that has nothing to do with music.” They interview the best artists, like Kilo Kish and MNDR. This latest installment features SSION’s Cody Critcheloe—truly an artist for our time—and Blood Orange’s Dev Hynes, songwriter extraordinaire and excellent one-time Rookie Reader Talent Show judge. This episode is a little all over the place, but super interesting: Dev gives instructions on proper racket-holding form in tennis (and plays a mini-match), while Cody shows us how to make rose petals out of icing (and plays Hole on the guitar). It’s still too early to tell where Out Hear is going—and no VFiles host has yet attained the wondrous/hilarious superstardom of Casey Jane Ellison of What the F*shion—but so far it’s another fun series in the VFiles pot of YouTube gold.

Cynthia

The Speed Sisters—four women who make up the Middle East’s first all-woman car-racing team—have been burning up tracks all over the West Bank since 2009. Earlier this week, Al Jazeera talked to the Speed Sisters, who described about how racing has helped them find independence from the physical, political, and cultural restrictions imposed on them in their daily lives. They’ve been gaining a loyal fan base of both women and men, and a documentary about them is in production. The teaser itself is pretty great, but I want to see the sisters on the big screen!

Amy Rose

daisy_coleman

Daisy Coleman, above, is a teenager from Maryville, Missouri. She’s been through absolute hell since January 8, 2012, when she and a friend—14 and 13 years old, respectively, at the time—were reportedly raped by two older guys from Daisy’s school while they were blackout drunk (mostly on alcohol supplied by their alleged rapists). You can read all of Daisy’s first-person account here at xoJane (trigger warnings for rape, sexual violence, and self-harm), but here is an excerpt:

My mother told me she found me outside, left for dead, and when she heard me trying to get to the door, she thought it was a dog scratching. I was weak and could have died in the below-freezing temperatures. Next thing I knew, I was in the ER getting blood drawn and having various tests done. We all knew what had happened, we just wanted someone else to say it for us. The doctors examined the rape kit and verified that our nightmares were real.

Despite medical evidence, as well as a cellphone video of the incident (Daisy says it was passed around her entire school but prosecutors claimed they were not able to find it), charges against the boys were dropped and the case records were sealed. As if this weren’t awful enough, Daisy and her family faced intense abuse from people in the town after she spoke up about her experience—partially, she believes, because one defendant was from a politically powerful family in Missouri:

Days seemed to drag on as I watched my brother get bullied and my mom lose her job. Ultimately our house burned to the ground…on Twitter and Facebook, I was called a skank and a liar and people encouraged me to kill myself. Twice, I did try to take my own life.

Daisy began to self-harm regularly and couldn’t face attending school. Ultimately, the Coleman family made the decision to move away from Maryville after the harassment became too much to bear. Mercifully, their story does not end there. After the Kansas City Star published this article last week, more and more media outlets reported on the case. The online vigilante group Anonymous also drew attention to it, and now the case is being reopened—this time by a special prosecutor. The renewed interest is a result of Daisy and her family’s refusal to stay quiet about the horrible pain and injustice that she’s been subjected to. No matter how dire their situation looked, they kept speaking out, most affectingly in Daisy’s essay about her experience. As so many of us know, it is incredibly difficult for victims of rape to speak out about what’s happened to them. Let’s honor Daisy’s bravery and give her all the support we can for advocating for herself and for rape victims who aren’t able to do so. We’re pulling for you, girl.

Rachael

3300KFDPRW=0.10 GW=0.10 BW=0.10 RB=9.99 GB=9.99 BB=9.99S3400

The photographer Hannah Price has a unique way of dealing with catcallers—she takes their pictures. “Just turning the photograph on them kind of gives them a feel of what it’s like to be in a vulnerable position—it’s just a different dynamic,” she said in an interview this week with NPR. Price’s photo series, “City of Brotherly Love,” features portraits of some of the catcallers she’s encountered in Philadelphia, where she moved from Colorado in 2009. It also includes a few images she calls “nonportraits,” which represent the way she’d rather have men approach her: “I would like to be approached in a respectable manner, or I would definitely like to fall in love.”

Arabelle

sky_ferreira_oct

Stereogum’s recent interview with Sky Ferreira feels so, so honest and real. I read it and hear an independent, headstrong babe who knows what she wants from her work and owns up to her mistakes. It makes me really happy that at the end of this month she’s (finally, thankfully) releasing a full-length album she is proud of and that I know I will love. ♦

• DianeK October 19th, 2013 12:38 PM

Thank you Petra for opening our eyes to sexism in pop culture! Also, can’t wait for Sky Ferreira’s new record. :)

• Chloe22 October 19th, 2013 12:52 PM

Daisy’s story is so heartbreaking. I honestly can’t believe how many men and boys (and women!) get away with rape and harassment. It’s sickening. Steubenville, metaphorically, happens pretty much every day. Even the recent case about the girl who killed herself over bullying, was a case of slut shaming. Anyone who lies (you can’t possibly actually believe it) that sexism is over, is plain evil. Even in my own neighborhood my friends are taught that whistling, catcalling, and asking what their bra size is, is a compliment. It’s always been wrong, is wrong, and will be wrong forever

• Haleyhaley2w October 19th, 2013 2:27 PM

“crushes turn into pumpkins, and pumpkins turn into love” my new motto, obviously.

• daisyauthority October 19th, 2013 2:33 PM

As usual Rookie brings the most hilarious, exciting, funny, and heartbreaking things. Almost everything here makes me so happy, especially Rachel Antonoff and the Grand Budapest Hotel. But of course there’s no ignoring Daisy’s story, and I felt so sad and sick after reading it. It’s horrible to think that this happens so often, but I hope some good can come out of something so terrible, that maybe more people will start to actually see these stories and call attention to them.

• Abby October 19th, 2013 2:52 PM

Daisy Coleman is stronger than I’ll ever be and I wish her and her family (and her friend) nothing but the best. She deserves something good in her life after all this.

• Abby October 19th, 2013 5:24 PM

ALSO: all the shit that Petra’s been through for her art is fucking ridiculous. It’s complete bull.

• Princess Mononoke October 19th, 2013 2:55 PM

Wow, just wow. I love the links this week, the highlight has got to be the new Wes Anderson film though, so excited! I didn’t know that Petra’s Instagram account was deleted, I follow(ed) her and I thought it was odd that she hadn’t posted in so long but that’s just crazy. Anyway, thank you rookie, for being great. xoxo

• flightdust October 19th, 2013 6:34 PM

Hey Stephanie! I did read Morrissey’s autobiography, the day it came out (or is it the day he came out?). Anyway, it is really well written, but I see your point about him being so rude to Johnny. He should probably accept that without Johnny he’d still be in a Manchester cellar, so anything less than gratitude is unfair.
    Then again, we’re talking about Morrissey… I suppose you sort of expect what he’s going to say, and he does. Brilliant lyricist though.
    Kinda surprised about what he says of Sandie Shaw (spoilers!)

• Sash October 19th, 2013 6:41 PM

I just wanted to put it out there that a lot of people I know do not object to Petra Collins’ imagery at all. They (and I) object to a feminist artist aligning themselves with American Apparel, a company who’s CEO has been repeatedly accused of sexual harassment of its female employees.

• lisa5259 October 19th, 2013 7:46 PM

Rachel Antonoff’s video was actually the cutest love story I’ve ever heard. Plus I love 70′s fashion. Daisy Coleman’s story is so saddening and I can’t understand how anyone could ignore or vilify an abuse or rape victim. Hopefully she can create a better life for herself after all that.

• Mr.Shankly October 19th, 2013 8:09 PM

Stephanie – I’m not ready to hear him bash on Johnny Marr either. I remember the first time watching and reading why they broke up. It was very emotional and to this day I refuse to be reminded and stuff.

• lydiamerida October 19th, 2013 8:34 PM

Morrissey is a douche but I kind of love him for that. I’ll buy his book

Also:
    Crushes -> Pumpkins -> Love

• AngstyTheBrave October 19th, 2013 9:09 PM

This is probably my favourite Saturday Links ever. I am a little surprised that Nirvana wasn’t already in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

• JadeTayla October 19th, 2013 9:11 PM

So many amazing and interesting things this week!
    I can’t wait to read Morrissey’s biography, he is such a fascinating man and his music has got me through ALOT of stuff. It will great summer reading (woo, southern hemisphere represent!) Does anyone know whether it will be available in shops in Australia?

THEN WES ANDERSON!! That man can’t do anything wrong! The Grand Budapest Hotel is definitely my most anticipated film for next year!

And the video for Rachel Antonoff’s new collection was perhaps the cutest thing I’ve ever seen. The clothes were to die for!

• Cat Tassini October 19th, 2013 10:47 PM

I will always have a special place in my heart for the Smiths because they were my favorite band for many years. Morrissey can be witty and hilarious but…he can also he turn into one of the bullies he laments in his songs. I love his dry, biting sense of humor, but I definitely do not love when he knocks someone for having “pitifully late middle-aged legs.” Come on, Moz don’t stoop to the level of the “scribblers and scratchers!”

• AnaBanana October 20th, 2013 3:18 AM

I can’t believe Instagram’s deleted Petra’s account. IT’S JUST PUBIC HAIR, WE ALL HAVE IT. What’s so gross about it? Shaving (or, worse, waxing) it all is what freaks me out. It’s quite disturbing that women want their vaginas to look hairless when that is what kids have.
    I am gonna miss Petra on instagram … she had some amazing pictures.

• Ella W October 20th, 2013 5:23 AM

Petra’s article was so so good! Just amazing!
    Ellax

• lexilikes October 20th, 2013 6:25 AM

‘crushes turn into pumpkins, and pumpkins turn into love’ – perfection. The Grand Budapest hotel looks fantastic and Daisy’s story is truly heartbreaking. As usual Rookie puts me in the blissful place between laughter and sadness.

• Erin. October 20th, 2013 11:50 AM

Definitely the strongest collection of Saturday links ever. Really representative of what Rookie is all about. Can’t wait for Nirvana to finally be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, can’t wait for Sky’s first album (finally!), can’t wait to see Hannah and Adam (finally!) be together and for Hannah to (finally!) be happy for a while. And on the flip side, I really hate that our culture and law system is so terrible that rapists can just get away with doing whatever they want to people. It’s utterly disgusting. And perhaps even more disgusting is the victim shaming and blaming. And then there’s Instagram, who apparently can’t handle an artistic critique of a culture it promotes.

I’m very thankful that something like Rookie can exist in this world. See you in Toronto next Saturday!

• pizzaface October 20th, 2013 12:40 PM

OMG, i love the rachel antonoff video! it’s too pretty!

• andreakristina40572 October 20th, 2013 4:02 PM

As usual, perfect and as said before perhaps the strongest collection of Saturday links ever. On another note. About a month ago, perhaps more I submitted an article to Rookie on the difficulties and struggles of striving for “popularity,”and staying true to yourself. I think this is something that really pertains to a lot of people, I was wondering when I would hear back, if ever. Should I submit it again since it’s been so long or is just something that Rookie wouldn’t post about. This is my blog, it’s fairly new, but it would mean a lot if any of you guys checked it out. Thanks.

• Anaheed October 20th, 2013 4:24 PM

Hi there Andrea. We get hundreds of submissions per day, so it takes us a long time to get back to people. I apologize, but we just don’t have a big enough editorial staff to get through that inbox in a timely manner. Don’t submit again — we’ll get to it, it might just be while. I’m sorry!

• wanderluster66 October 20th, 2013 6:06 PM

What I thought of when I read “Morrissey on Morrissey”: http://cemetarywhereimarriedthesea.tumblr.com/post/39621016060/thischarmlessgirl-another-requested-photoset

• flocha October 20th, 2013 6:20 PM

Oh wow Petra’s essay is so articulate and incredible. Instagram should be ashamed of themselves for being such narrow minded people

• amescs October 21st, 2013 5:49 PM

this is possibly one of the greatest collection of saturday links to have ever existed