Everything else

Editor’s Letter

October 2013: Haunted

lksdokdl

From the series “Erna and Hrefna 09–10″ by Ariko Inaoka.

Hi, Rookies!

Today is October 1st, which makes it not only Julie Andrews’s 78th birthday, not only Disney World’s 42nd birthday, but also Rookie Yearbook Two’s DAY OF BIRTH. That’s right, we made another book! It’s 350 beautiful pages of DIYs, interviews, photos, stickers, tarot cards, a cootie catcher, and thousands of words of love/angst/wonder.

ROOKIE2.cover-web(1)

It’s also real good-looking, with a bunch of handwriting and doodles and collage. Here are some Instagram videos I took of its details when I was dying to show you guys every page:

How’s this yearbook different from the first, you might ask? Well, for one, it has more bonus content than last year’s—stuff that hasn’t already been published on our site, including work made just for us by Judy Blume, Lena Dunham, Grimes, and Mindy Kaling. For another, Yearbook One included only the school months (September–May), and Yearbook Two is a whole year (June 2012–May 2013)—and the summer months are so good! Finally, the same way every month on Rookie is different, Yearbook Two is just filled with different vibes, photos, and subject matter. It’s a continuation of Yearbook One, which means it becomes a different book every few spreads. YEARBOOK ONE IS DEAD, LONG LIVE YEARBOOK TWO. (Or buy them together on Amazon for a discounted price of something dollars and something cents.)

Rookie Yearbook Two also means ROOKIE EVENTS. Here’s a list of the ones we have planned for this fall and winter—I am terribly excited for them all.

ROOKIE YEARBOOK TWO EVENTS 2 JPEG

Now, back to digital/online/virtual/pixelated Rookie: This month’s theme is HAUNTED. Haunted by nostalgia, embarrassment, family history, love and breakups, past relationships of all kinds. And ghosts, too, of course. I like this bit from what Anaheed wrote to me when we were brainstorming about it:

Do you know what a palimpsest is? It’s one of my favorite words just ’cause it means something so beautiful: Literally, it’s a piece of parchment that has been erased and then reused, and you can see light traces of the old writing underneath the new. There are so many different kinds of palimpsests in life: architectural ones, where you can tell that your doctor’s office used to be someone’s home or like how there was this bar we used to go to in Chicago where they peeled back many layers of paint and wallpaper to reveal the most beautiful old wallpaper from the ’30s; art ones, e.g., when a new picture is painted over an existing one and a trace of the old one shows through; emotional ones, like the way memory works in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Or my favorite one: How Johnny Depp turned his WINONA FOREVER tattoo into WINO FOREVER. Close second: How Pamela Anderson turned her TOMMY tattoo into MOMMY. Just anything where you can see traces of the past poking through to the present. Or even, if you wanna get REAL DEEP, the way each day erases the one before so you can write a new one.

Isn’t that fantastic? I love what we have in store for this month and I hope you will, too.

In conclusion: a very happy birthday to Julie Andrews, queen of Genovia.

Love,
Tavi

• Erin. October 1st, 2013 3:07 PM

Yay! I can’t wait for the Toronto event!

• weetzie October 1st, 2013 4:54 PM

Yay me too!! *throws confetti*

• unicornconnect October 1st, 2013 3:27 PM

¡so excited!

• soviet_kitsch October 1st, 2013 3:28 PM

hhhhh oh my god i’m gonna try to make it to the magic pony meetup in toronto. if any of you see an extremely short girl with spiky hair and converse that’s me (and also you guys are gonna be in los angeles on my birthday!!) ffff i am so excited

• Sohini October 1st, 2013 3:28 PM

Such a beautiful word! I love it!

xo Sohini
    tv, turmeric, tea

• dreamygirl October 1st, 2013 3:33 PM

SO GREAT
    searching Brookyn for the book today

• mscorgancobain October 1st, 2013 3:39 PM

Do you guys have any tentative plans for events in/near Maryland? I wish I lived on the West Coast or in New York or something because you guys seem to do an awful lot over there, and last time you came to Philly I was too young for my parents to let me go :(

• Anaheed October 1st, 2013 3:56 PM

Hi! We don’t have plans for Maryland anytime soon—the reason we do NY so much is that a huge number of our readers live here, as well as a big percentage of our staff.

• mayacolor October 1st, 2013 3:45 PM

but you guys what happened to the little brown front page thingy!?

• Tavi October 1st, 2013 3:49 PM

It comes off to reveal the full photo!

• FlowerandtheVine October 1st, 2013 4:01 PM

Can’t wait to see the stories this month! October is always the best.

• angelaunz October 1st, 2013 4:02 PM

Hello,

Super excited for the events that are coming up this month. As well as for Rookie Yearbook 2. Time does fly : D

But one question

I just went to the website festival.newyorker.com to purchase the free tickets for the Saturday &Sunday event. But it says that there is no more tickets to purchase. Does anybody know how to purchase tickets another way? I would really love to go to at least one of those days….

Hope to hear from someone soon : D

• Anaheed October 1st, 2013 4:06 PM

The reserved spots are all taken, but they will be making a limited number of tickets available at the door. If you want to chance it, get there early!

• grace elizabeth October 1st, 2013 4:08 PM

I was wondering if we have to register for the Young Voices Conference in Toronto to see Tavi speak or if guests are welcome at that time?

• Abby October 1st, 2013 4:10 PM

I wish I could afford to go to NYC for everything
    :((((

• Mimi7 October 1st, 2013 4:23 PM

Yay! So happy for another yearbook, it looks great! You’re going to be where I live 2 days before my 16th birthday! So excited!!!!

• Emily Barton October 1st, 2013 4:29 PM

i’ve just pre-ordered this on amazon!!! it hasn’t been released in uk yet, right? because if it has i don’t why i had to pre order but whatever it looks so great i can’t wait

• spudzine October 1st, 2013 4:30 PM

I’m so excited for this month!! I really hope my library orders Yearbook 2, since they have a brand-spankin’ amazing copy of Yearbook 1. Yearbook 2 not only has exclusive pieces, but a cootie catcher to boot! And I always love seeing the illustrations mishmash together in that whimsical, layout feel. Uber cool!

• Anya N. October 1st, 2013 4:37 PM

YOU GUYS MY ROOKIE YEARBOOK TWO ARRIVED TODAY AND I’M SOOOOO HAPPY I CANT STOP SMILING WONDERFUL WONDERFUL WONDERFUL JOB EVERYONE I WOULD TURN CAPS LOCK OFF BUT IT DOESN’T SEEM APPROPRIATE

are you coming to DC or philadelphia anytime soon? pleaseee? i wasn’t able to go to any of the events on the last road trip, so i was just wondering if you would be stopping by dc or philadelphia, or anywhere near either of those cities.

• amescs October 1st, 2013 4:38 PM

ahh I’m SO excited for this month’s theme and of course Yearbook 2!

oh, and y’all need to get over to the UK one day, I’m begging!

• MaddieMae October 1st, 2013 4:40 PM

AHHH, I’M SO EXCITED! And I love Julie Andrews :) I am sad that there aren’t any events/rookies in Indiana, though :/

• thefilmrookie October 1st, 2013 4:52 PM

Too excited for the LA reading! Cannot wait to be reunited with the bet people in the world!!!

• Holly October 1st, 2013 5:26 PM

If you ever get the chance, ya’ll should come to Texas. I live in Louisiana but I just just assume that Texas would be better because theres more rookie readers there. haha and I would totally make the trip to see ya’ll.

• maddie123 October 1st, 2013 5:29 PM

I’m buying the book tomorrow and I’m seeing you on October 5th in New York!! I have such mad love for all of you and I’m so happy to feel like a part of this blessed community! I’M SO EXCITED!

• hoflan October 1st, 2013 5:49 PM

one day you guys have to promise to come and hang out with the london rookies <3

• Vintagedaria October 1st, 2013 5:56 PM

Please come to Chicago :(

• lilagrace October 1st, 2013 6:02 PM

I actually have a certain nail polish that I associate with Rookie Yearbook One because I wore it the first time I held it in my hands/read it – and its sparkly colour just fit in with EVERY page perfectly. I wonder if that happens with this one, too. But regardless of that, I’m soo excited for Yearbook Two!
    Btw, thank you for bringing my attention to the “Erna and Hrefna Project”. All photos I’ve seen of them are so eerie and creepy and beautiful. So great!
    Oh and of course – Happy Birthday to the Queen of Genovia :D

• kathryn-s October 1st, 2013 6:13 PM

Wow. Anaheed’s e-mail about the word “palimpsest” was the best/most beautiful thing I have encountered today. I had no idea that word even existed.

• Rutabagas October 1st, 2013 6:51 PM

I’d say you should come to Connecticut, but, well, CT’s kinda lame. Plus, I don’t know anyone in CT who reads Rookie besides myself (and therefore no one understands when I quote it).

• Eryn October 1st, 2013 7:03 PM

Can’t wait to have yearbook two in my possession!! Also, attempting to withhold my jealousy at living too far away from all of those events, I hope you all have a wonderful time at them and I know you will.

• LilyB October 1st, 2013 7:48 PM

IM SO FREAKIN EXCITED!!!! My yearbook should be coming tomorrow!! CAN NOT WAIT FOR THE BOOK AND THE LA EVENT OMG

• campingwithlamps October 1st, 2013 7:57 PM

This makes me sad I live in the south because I’ve always wanted to go to a rookie event! Can’t wait for the new yearbook! <3

• Holly October 2nd, 2013 10:41 PM

I feel your pain! I live in Louisiana and all the events are up north or like California. I mean I understand that they have a huge fanbase in those places but I just feel so sad that I can’t go to any events :(

• Breen October 1st, 2013 8:34 PM

I love that word. And on a kind of random note, today’s my best friends birthday.

• indramaria October 1st, 2013 9:59 PM

I wish Rookie could come to south Florida! I live semi-close to a big city (Miami) but I feel like barely any artists/cool bloggers/writers come here like they do in HUGE cities like NYC or LA

• marisa7 October 1st, 2013 10:11 PM

Couldn’t be more excited for the events in Toronto! Ahhhhhhh!

xx

• emseely October 1st, 2013 11:12 PM

Just bought the yearbook… It’s truly beautiful. Thanks, team rookie!

• sloththefifth October 2nd, 2013 12:12 AM

Hey Rooks!!
    For the San Francisco hang out do we have to RSVP or something or can we just show up and party?
    SUPS EXCITED xox

• nizmocat October 2nd, 2013 2:18 AM

ahhh i wish i lived in new york or someplace cool with rookie events. omg i need the yearbook NOW. can’t wait for spooky things this month!

• whodatgal October 2nd, 2013 2:46 AM

ufdfsdfisdfhsdfksdfjjsdfhsdjfdsfydsjfdshfdsgfdsjfuisdfgsdfhjfdgsdghjdsfghfjhsf PLEASE COME TO LONDON <3333333 or like a europe tour it would be absolutely grrrr99999999

• LollipopTree October 2nd, 2013 4:00 PM

yeeesssss please do

• julalondon October 2nd, 2013 4:31 AM

Woohooo, Rookie Yearbook #2, can’t wait! Also, next month’s theme FAMILY is gonna be AMAZING!!!

• sesasi October 2nd, 2013 5:36 AM

So when are you guys coming to Sweden? Lol ok I understand that you can’t but Europe at least?

• emlyb October 2nd, 2013 6:59 AM

I’/vE BEEN SAVING UP FOR THE ROOKIE YEARBOO K FOR LORD KNOWS HOW LONG AND IT’S FINALLY HERE WHAT EVEN

• October 2nd, 2013 9:16 AM

It’s absolutely wonderful ♥

• ColoredSoft October 2nd, 2013 10:18 AM

….you are coming to the bay area GOD BLESS

• Adrienne22 October 2nd, 2013 10:41 AM

Can’t wait to get my hands on a copy. As much as I love the internet and online zines, it’s somewhat immaterial, there is no way of holding it in your hands and really appreciating its presence there. Books rule.

• alesssurprise October 2nd, 2013 10:46 AM

So happy and excited for rookie yearbook two!!!
    and what anaheed wrote, oh ♥

• mariasnow October 2nd, 2013 3:01 PM

i love anaheed’s discussion of a palimpsest. you have to be ever so careful when you’re pencil-drawing because if you’re using all but the softest leads and you erase something and go over it, it makes little ghost lines in your paper. of course you can also intentionally draw really hard, erase it and then draw over it so your artwork is haunted and that’s fun.

• paashaas21 October 2nd, 2013 3:22 PM

thanks Anaheed, that email about palimpsest was just what i needed in my life. I’ve often that I think about things but I don’t know that there’s a name for, or at school, when suddenly I discover that there’s a name for something I already thought about earlier.

• paashaas21 October 2nd, 2013 3:24 PM

and I just love the theme for next month, even though october didn’t really start yet. The theme “family” gives me warm feelings inside and also embarrassment and anger but above all a lot of ideas-i might submit something because i already want to submit something for a long time..

• paashaas21 October 2nd, 2013 3:30 PM

there should be a rookie forum so all the cool people here could talk to each other

• elliecp October 2nd, 2013 3:31 PM

So excited for yearbook two. Such an achievement, so much work has gone into it, and I can’t wait to see the result! :D <3

• LollipopTree October 2nd, 2013 3:59 PM

PLEASE COME TO THE UK! <3

• looking for alaska October 2nd, 2013 7:22 PM

Hi! I just wanted to know: is there any difference between the Yearbook that is sold on the Rookie website/in bookstores and the one sold on Amazon? Last time the Amazon one didn’t have the flexi-disk.. are there any differences for Yearbook 2?

• mar9ar3t October 3rd, 2013 2:54 PM

plz plz plz come to boston sometime plz plz <3 <3 <3

• Sofia Cort's October 3rd, 2013 11:15 PM

need <3

• whyamidreamingwhenimstillawake October 4th, 2013 3:34 AM

Rookie needs come to Australia please? D:

• Sarah October 5th, 2013 5:42 AM

ROOKIE YEARBOOK TWO!!! OMG!!!

Guess what’s on my Christmas wish list!

• Edee October 6th, 2013 8:12 PM

I MISSED IT. I ACTUALLY MISSED IT. AND I AM RIGHT IN NYC. WOW. Wow. I feel dumb.

wow

• Dana47 October 20th, 2013 4:24 PM

My Social Studies teacher met Julie Andrews :) I almost fell over when she told me. Seriously. You could’ve poked me with a stick, and I would’ve hit the ground.

Alsoooo…. I think I sat across from you on the train, Tavi. It was really hard for me to not fangirl. This was me: http://media.tumblr.com/7c497a75afd8ed764953ae3f1a552ed4/tumblr_inline_mflkwg1xga1ro8qpo.gif

• sukisuki November 1st, 2013 10:28 PM

umm does anyone know if i buy yearbook2 off rookie if there is any shipping cost?

• Anaheed November 2nd, 2013 11:34 PM

Yes, there is a shipping cost.