Style

DIY Evil Eye Manicure

Safeguard your fingertips.

eyemanicurefin1

Do you ever feel like…somebody’s watching you? I do, especially after I gave myself this evil-eye manicure. Various cultures share the belief that someone can cause you to fall ill you just by giving you a menacing glare. To protect yourself against this, you can wear some sort of talisman that depicts an eye, kind of like “I’ve got my eye on you before you can put your stank eye on me, OK?!” Think of this nail art as your magic talisman against any and all haters. I got yo’ backs, boo-boos.

emwhatuneed

What you’ll need:

• A base nail color. I went with something neutral (VERY unlike moi but it worked nicely): Kendal by Zoya.
  • A white nail polish. I used White on the Spot by Milani.
  • A nail polish in the color you want your eyes’ irises to be. This one is Revlon Colorstay’s Coastal Surf.
  • A black nail striper. Milani’s Nail Art in Black Sketch works perfectly for this.
  • A top coat. As always, I used Seche Vite.

How to do it:

1. Paint your nails with your base color. Apply two to three coats, depending on how thick the polish goes on.

Screen Shot 2013-10-07 at 9.25.51 PM

2. Using your white polish, carefully paint an oval shape across the width of your nail.

emstep2

3. This step requires your artistic and steady hand to outline the white oval you just made. Put on some calm music, grab your black nail striper, and carefully draw a line around the edge of your white oval. When you’re done, draw some celebratory lashes on top!

emstep3

4. Using the iris-color polish, draw a circle in the middle of the white oval. Then, use the black nail striper again to place a dot in the center of that circle, creating a pupil. When the polish sets, apply your top coat.

emstep4

Ta-da! There is your evil eye!

eyemanicurefin2

Repeat on all fingers for extra protection. ♦

• rottedteeth October 8th, 2013 7:18 PM

I saw this on Alexa Chung before and tried to replicate it so many times!
    I’d recommend not actually trying to paint circles or almond eye shapes cuz its like impossible unless you have super amazing control.
    I use the ends of pens for the almond and iris.
    and toothpick for the pupil and finishing details

you know what I’m gonna make a diy with my method this friday probably

• Camillekit October 8th, 2013 7:26 PM

I’ve been obsessed with these ever since I saw a picture of Alexa Chung with her nails like this! I tried once and failed epically, but I’m excited to try again following these steps!

• Janis October 8th, 2013 7:49 PM

Loooove

• Jes October 8th, 2013 9:23 PM

yo we need some live coverage of the petra menstrual-vagina-tee hulabaloo on rookie

• triggish October 8th, 2013 9:36 PM

love thisss!!!

• llamalina October 8th, 2013 11:21 PM

OMG THIS IS AMAZING. i am going to do this like right now. so so perfect for my SPOOOOOKY halloween vibes.

• whyamidreamingwhenimstillawake October 9th, 2013 2:22 AM

I need a nail striper so bad now.

• TessaTheTeenageWitch October 9th, 2013 2:44 AM

Aww heck I am so using this for my Cecil Baldwin costume!!

Thanks a ton Marie – you’re forever the queen of fancy fingers!

• kimmer October 9th, 2013 3:02 AM

Why not use liquid eyeliner for the details and put a clear coat to seal afterwards, Love the eye btw :) x

• elliecp October 9th, 2013 4:52 AM

Oh my god I saw this on tumblr ages ago and have been desperate to try it ever since! Going to do my nails like this for my birthday now :D
    Thanks rookie!

• Pearl October 9th, 2013 6:02 AM

I was just thinking of painting my nails when I saw this! I’m going to try my luck and see how it goes. Thanks, Marie!

• AidaA October 9th, 2013 8:48 AM

oooh I love this! I’m really bad and painting my nails but I’m gonna try this. Yesterday I had an eyeball hanging off a chain around my neck. Nobody sat next to me on the bus…. mission accomplished?

cool diy Marie!

-Aida
    x

• Mary the freak October 9th, 2013 11:03 AM

WOW I LOVE THIS SO MUCH!!!

• claier October 9th, 2013 10:34 PM

The nazar is an important cultural icon in Turkey, Egypt, Armenia, Albania, Greece, Azerbaijan, Cyprus, Syria, Lebanon, Iran, Afghanistan, and Iraq. Therefore, it shouldn’t be appropriated as nail art. For more information on cultural appropriation, I suggest checking out mycultureisnotatrend.tumblr.com

• ohmyannie October 9th, 2013 11:10 PM

this is soo cool!! i have to try this.

• madame_addie October 10th, 2013 6:46 PM

I’ve done this so many times now hahahaha I think I have mastered it xD I saw it on Alexa too first <3 I find it's better to draw the everything inside the eyeball and put the black outline at the end, it's less messy n_n