Live Through This

You Made It Weird

How to deal with life’s more uncomfortable social interactions.

esme4.leader

How to Be a Leader

1. Assess the project. Are you organizing a charity car wash? Making cookies with friends before watching all the Wes Anderson movies in a row? What are the steps that need to be accomplished for the project to be completed, and what skills are needed to complete those tasks? Write them down, then let them team know your basic plan: “We’re gonna make these cookies in an assembly line so we can get to The Royal Tenenbaums ASAP.” Check in with your team before you move on to see if anyone wants to add something; a great leader listens to input, so ask your team how they’re doing every step of the way.

2. Assess your team’s skills. Who is good at repetitive tasks? Who is good with money? Who has the best handwriting? Don’t assume you know what everyone’s strengths are—instead, ask them. That way they’ll know that you are listening to them and that they’ll get to participate in a way that is fulfilling for them.
  3. Assign tasks. Different people do this in different ways, and you might adjust your style depending on the context—I’ve been a iron-fist leader and just told people what to do with some projects, and been a lot more collaborative in others. Ideally I try to settle somewhere in between. No matter how you decide to lead, your goal here is to get people working on things quickly and efficiently. Don’t be afraid to be authoritative—Because of step two, you already know what your team can do, and they’ll appreciate knowing exactly what you expect from them!
  4. Be flexible. You might have to change assignments, switch spots, or change due dates. Be prepared to shift things a little but still get the job done.
  5. You should work, too! The best leaders are the ones that roll up their sleeves and work alongside everyone else, so give yourself a task.

1 2 3 4 5 6

• lydiamerida September 23rd, 2013 10:35 PM

Love the advice and the art is fab :)

• Jenny September 23rd, 2013 10:50 PM

wow… I love this sooooooooooo much

• streaked lights September 24th, 2013 12:52 AM

The artwork is simply lovely!
    And the advice is great, and super relevant to me right now, especially saying ‘NO’.

• mayafairy September 24th, 2013 4:54 AM

Thank you for this! I’ve always felt like there was something off with me socially, like I lacked the inner knowledge that told you how to react to every situation. Maybe it’s not just me though!

• Florencey September 24th, 2013 7:18 AM

number 5 is so important! the number of times i’ve seen people being complimented and they completely dismiss it. i mean, i know it’s hard to take a compliment if you have low self esteem (i used to be the WORST at this!), but if you really have no idea, then just smile and say thank you. i actually find it really rude if i give someone a compliment and they’re basically like ‘no, your wrong, i’m ugly’.

• sissiLOL September 24th, 2013 7:25 AM

<3 <3 <3 <3 Love from Germany!!!!! Thank you for this great article!!!!

• MaddieMae September 24th, 2013 8:05 AM

You guys always seem to post the thing I need to read, right when I have questions about it!
    I recently became the editor-in-chief of my school’s yearbook, but I’ve never been IN CHARGE of something so big and important. I’m only a sophomore, and I think some of the juniors and seniors have trouble taking orders from me. But after reading this, I feel more comfortable taking charge. . . and bragging a bit ;)

Thanks!

• LouderBlues September 24th, 2013 8:40 AM

I always have problems when I have to say no to a guy hitting on me. Not because I don’t know how to say it but because I never seem to get the message across unless I’m rude. Is there some magical thing I can say to make them leave while being polite or is it just impossible when someone doesn’t get a ” I’m not interested”?

• Abby September 24th, 2013 10:54 AM

Can you guys please make this a regular column??? I NEED IT.

• julalondon September 24th, 2013 11:46 AM

I SO second this.

• Tara A. September 24th, 2013 12:27 PM

I really needed this. I’ve been made head of several clubs in school, and it’s really daunting to be at the top. This really helped me learn about how I need to deal with people.

• flocha September 24th, 2013 1:06 PM

I love the stuff about receiving a compliment (something I seriously needed help with….)

• Cutesycreator aka Monica September 24th, 2013 3:12 PM

This is fantastic and I love everything about it.

• elliecp September 24th, 2013 3:22 PM

fab advice as always – I suck at receiving compliments, hopefully now I won’t mess up so much! <3 thanks rookie <3

• mariasnow September 25th, 2013 12:55 PM

I used to be so bad at at taking compliments (turning around to look and see who they were really talking to, stuttering, turning red, uhm, uhhhhhhh) that I decided to actively discourage people from complimenting me on the sly. I would do this by responding like this:

1. “i know, right!”
    2. saying “THAAAAAAAAAAAANKS!” with a big, cheesy smile
    3. a wink and an elbow nudge, taking care to make this as creepy as possible.

It was still tricky for about a week but then it got easier because people thought it was HILARIOUS and that put me at ease. So I kind of failed at my original aim of active discouragement but I did get better and can now genuinely and somewhat gracefully accept a compliment.

If only I could get less awkward about sharing my plans of attending an Ivy League school. It’s really terrible especially when people are shocked by it, I joke around a lot so it’s not readily apparent that I’m an ubernerd.

• Nadifa September 26th, 2013 10:07 AM

This article is very useful! Thanks Rookie, for being my free guide to live a life :D
    Anyway, i want to know if you can make an article about studying abroad, especially in the USA. I’ll be graduating from high school next year, but I need some knowledge like tips on how to survive away from home, how to pick the right major (in my case, i love learning English but my parents want me to go for engineering), or how’s the college life in the US. Thank you, your reply will be appreciated :)