Everything else

Saturday Links: Mystery Web Edition

Do you know what this thing is? ’Cause scientists don’t.

Jessica

web-structure-amazon

A thing that looks like an otherwordly spider-web-crown was recently found in the Peruvian jungle and no one has half a clue what it is. An arachnologist from McGill University in Montreal called it “a seriously fascinating mystery” and a curator emeritus of spiders at the American Museum of Natural History in New York said he has “no idea what animal made that.” You know a science story is a good one when even scientists are like WHUT, THE, EFF. I saw this picture and thought, Oh, hello tiny alien satellite! Somewhere past our solar system, in the great beyond, an advanced spacecraft is probably doing some data mining on Peru’s tree frogs.

And staying on the nerdier side of things: In honor of the internet-enabled calling service’s 10th anniversary, ArsTechnica posted a deep history of how Skype began. Normally I wouldn’t get past the first paragraph of an article that opens with a millionaire ripping off his shades, but this one is magic.

Hazel

underground_house

This underground house in Las Vegas is the coolest, weirdest thing I’ve seen in a long time. It was built in 1978 by a paranoid, super-wealthy businessman and was meant to be a nuclear fallout shelter. In addition to existing 26 feet underground, which is weird enough as it is, it’s also totally stuck in the ’70s, complete with a cheesy pink kitchen and a grill disguised as a rock. You just need to see the rest of the pictures to get how insanely weird it is. It reminds me of this funny Brendan Fraser and Alicia Silverstone movie about a dude who grows up underground ’cause his parents think the world is ending. Oh, and did I mention this house is WEIRD? Will someone please buy it so we can make it the official Rookie headquarters?

Julianne

Um, have you seen Ariana Grande’s new video for “Baby I”? It just dropped, and it is a multicolored ice cream cone of late-summer party flava. It reminds me of early Mariah Carey, with all the lovely trappings of the “Emotions” video, down to Ariana’s wispy, sweet voice, crop-top plus shorts, and hands-up dance. The throwback vibes work perfectly for the song, which was written and produced by none other than Babyface, who made some of the best R&B songs of the ’90s and is one of America’s greatest pop composers of all time. ALL TIME! Major apologies if you happen to be my roommate and I do not listen to anything else for the next three weeks.

Ruby A.

For anyone who is as Coppola crazy I am, here’s the trailer for Gia Coppola’s first feature-length film, Palo Alto, which she rocked at film festivals this week. The movie is based on collection of short stories by James Franco about a group of teenagers in Palo Alto, California. (Devonté Hynes and Robert Schwartzman wrote the film’s music, which is pretty sweet, too.) Gia has a very, very famous family (Sofia is her aunt and Francis Ford is her grandpa), but she’s also got an amazing eye and has made a name for herself through her photography and fashion videos. I can’t wait to see more than this peek of her movie.

Emma D.

anatomy_wired

The Human Body, a fun app that teaches kids about anatomy, seems like the best thing ever for a number of reasons, many of which Wired described in detail on Tuesday. One of them is that the insanely talented artist Kelli Anderson illustrated its demonstrations of the body’s inner workings entirely with paper. Another is that the app has a WHOLE LIBRARY OF FART SOUNDS. ♦

• Mimi7 September 7th, 2013 12:10 PM

I really want to see Palo Alto! The Coppolas are so amazing!!

• Erin. September 7th, 2013 12:31 PM

That bathroom, oh my.

Palo Alto looks good, but Emma Roberts makes me cringe, so I don’t know if I could watch it.

• caro nation September 7th, 2013 12:42 PM

IS THAT NAT WOLFF
    IS THAT A CUTE BOY NAMED JACK KILMER
    AUGH
    ATTRACTIVE
    AUGH

• mayapapaya September 7th, 2013 12:46 PM

now i want a underground house…

• Promesa September 7th, 2013 1:18 PM

OMG THE GIRLS IN THE BACKGROUND ARE THE FORMER CHEERLEADERS FROM MY HIGH SCHOOL! ASDFGHJKL

• Anaheed September 7th, 2013 7:00 PM

For real????

• Promesa September 8th, 2013 2:33 PM

LOL YEAH! They’re from Norwalk High School, I even know where they’re standing lol the feels man! One of my teachers showed me that pic and she was like, “We had some bad-ass uniforms back in the day!”

• Elizabete September 7th, 2013 1:31 PM

Palo Alto looks awesome (fellow Coppola fangirl over here), it even has the potential of becoming my favorite movie (ok, one of favorites).

• taste test September 7th, 2013 2:04 PM

THAT UNDERGROUND HOUSE. oh my god. it’s perfect. it would be like a crime against humanity if whoever buys the place tries to redecorate it.

• soviet_kitsch September 7th, 2013 2:15 PM

i love ariana grande and i’m so happy she’s made the leap from victorious to pro singer omg sweet bb

• Abby in the Sky with Diamonds September 7th, 2013 5:16 PM

Ikr omg I just about fainted when I saw Julianne’s section of the post because I didn’t know the video was released!!! Ahh the video was perfect also I am definitely downloading The Human Body (how could you not? it has fart sounds!)

• Princess Mononoke September 7th, 2013 2:54 PM

Omgomgomg, everything on rookie is AMAZING!! Palo Alto looks great. That video is so much fun! I love you rookie! You’re my life!

Also, I hope this doesn’t sound creepy or anything, but last night I dreamt that I met Tavi, she was awesome. Again, I don’t want that to sound creepy!

• Haleyhaley2w September 7th, 2013 9:56 PM

I had a dream with Tavi in it the other night! I think I’m spending to much time on Rookie… (didn’t think it was possible)

• strawberryhair September 9th, 2013 4:48 PM

this one time i dreamed that i met tavi and she was wearing velvet pants

• Sophie ❤ September 7th, 2013 3:45 PM

Oh my gosh! THE UNDERGROUND HOUSE! So, so, cool. It must cost a fortune- plus, that crazy rich guy must have been a bit on the lunatic side. Also love the Ariana Grande video. I like her dances and such!

• spudzine September 7th, 2013 6:49 PM

WHAT I LEARNED TODAY:

-There’s another Coppola?! And her movie not only has Emma Roberts AND James Franco, but really, really cute boys!
    -Ariana Grande remains queen of the pop scene

• dumbpling September 7th, 2013 6:55 PM

Robert Schwartzman will always be my favorite kind of Coppola

• Parmenides September 7th, 2013 6:57 PM

Palo Alto- Please come to a cinema near me! And that underground house! Whoa. Whoa. Whoa. That is the boo freaking who.

• poetess September 7th, 2013 8:30 PM

AAAH I was hoping someone would mention that Natalia Kills’s new album is out and it is freaking amazing and I’m in love with her and I’m going to marry her and you guys have to listen to Trouble. Go. Listen.

• Haleyhaley2w September 7th, 2013 9:55 PM

I love Ariana! Her music is just SO FUN. It’s like Mariah Carey with some Destiny’s Child vibes. perfection.

• Steward3 September 7th, 2013 9:57 PM

I love the underground house! I really want to know more about that rich guy who built this weird and cool place.

• Haleyhaley2w September 7th, 2013 10:00 PM

AND OMG MY COUSINS GREW UP IN PALO ALTO AND WENT TO SCHOOL WITH THE FRANCOS SO HEARING ABOUT THIS MOVIE IS LIKE SUPER SUPER EXCITING FOR ME.

• Cel September 7th, 2013 10:22 PM

The “Underground House” is literally within walking distance from my house. I HAD NO IDEA IT EXISTED. Thanks, Rookie.

• llamalina September 7th, 2013 11:52 PM

Palo Alto looks amazing. I feel like I’ve been waiting for it for so long. Does anyone know the song playing in the trailer?!

It’s practically impossible for me to not love Ariana Grande! Her voice is unbelievably gorgeous and her songs always make me happy.

• Joyce September 8th, 2013 4:26 AM

that web mystery just made my day. :D

• anustart September 8th, 2013 10:17 PM

i’ve been listening to the palo alto trailer 4 days now. it’s so pretty. it’s definitely the angsty teen movie I NEED right now.

• sfortunati September 10th, 2013 7:48 AM

AH ohmygosh I’m in that movie! I was an extra on the soccer team lol. I can’t believe the trailer’s out…yesss a split-second frame of my face is on rookie! haha

• Monroe September 10th, 2013 8:15 PM

Am I the only one who thinks its a bit unfair, both to aspiring actors and directors, and to the people who made it in Hollywood on their own merits, how the relatives of famous people get a free ticket to fame? I mean, look at Elle Fanning. It was Dakota who made a name for the Fannings, then along comes Elle, coasting on her fame, and people start to like her better. If that was my little sister I would be pissed..
    Or Jaden Smith. Just because his dad is a famous actor he gets parts in movies, when he really is kind of mediocre, whereas millions of brilliant undiscovered people never get noticed.
    I know that’s just life, but it annoys me.

• Tavi September 10th, 2013 9:20 PM

Lots of relatives of famous people get a foot in the door, but don’t have staying power because they turn out to have no talent of their own. Someone like Elle continues to get work because she’s extremely talented, not because she’s coasting on anyone’s fame.

• ArmyOfRabbits September 11th, 2013 7:22 PM

I believe Elle Fanning started work quite early but didn’t get a whole lot of exposure, not as much as her older sister. Plus, the reason why she started acting in the first place was because at the time, they needed a girl who looks like Dakota Fanning to play the younger version of her character. So I guess, it was easier to have Elle Fanning to play that part– she’s actually pretty talented. If I am Dakota, I’d be proud of her, because Elle works just as hard.

I haven’t seen any of Gia’s works, but I know the rest of the Coppolas are very skilled at what they do. Directing movies is not easy.

• nizmocat September 14th, 2013 9:07 PM

OMG PALO ALTO LOOKS INCREDIBLE

• October 5th, 2013 4:25 PM

My family members all the time say that I am wasting my time here at net, but I know I am getting knowledge daily by reading thes fastidious content.