Style

Bodysuit Yourself

Wear a leotard without giving a damn.

Leotards are awesome and everyone can wear them. It’s time to appropriate them from the world of dance/gymnastics/ballet and make them a cool addition to your wardrobe!

You may have some concerns at first, and I definitely had a few before I bought my first one, like, It will be skintight and make me look absurd, and how do I even pee in this thing? Here’s a bit of myth-busting: Your body is perfectly lovely and deserves all the clothes you have ever wished to wear. And don’t worry—most leotards come with snap crotches, so they are a breeze to pee in.

It takes a certain amount of guts to style a leotard in some of the ways I’m about to recommend, and it might require you to overcome your fears. Pulling together enough confidence to set aside your fears of looking ridiculous takes time, but when you actually get there and step out into the world in your bodysuit, giving the world not one single fuck, I promise you that it is one of the most liberating feelings on earth. The first time I wore a leotard in public was to go clubbing with some new acquaintances at uni, as a bright-eyed newbie determined to become a social butterfly. I wore my finest leotard with tights and heels, considered putting on shorts for a split second, decided against it, and went out into the night. And let me tell you: I felt scintillating that evening—I talked to people, rode one of those tacky mechanical bulls, posed for photos, and even hit on a guy. Nothing could kill my fashion-induced buzz that night! I was on fire and giving the world the virtual middle finger. That leotard was something of a turning point, and after that night I decided that no outfit was out of bounds.

Here are a few pointers to wearing a leotard no matter what your size or style—create your own bodysuit-centric outfit and have a gorgeous time wearing it!

Sheer

Sheer pieces are great for highlighting the fact that you’re wearing a leotard and not just an ordinary tee/cami/top! Sheer maxi skirts are great for this look, or you could even throw on a sheer dress.

Ballerina

Sometimes your leotard just wants to be inspired by its dancewear roots, so don’t be afraid of pairing a leotard with a tutu! As the fab Jay Miranda shows us here, it can be done without looking costumey. If you do want to go the theatrical route (an excellent one, in my opinion), wear a sequined leotard with a tutu and dazzle without a care.

Statement Motifs

If you feel less inclined towards sparkly things and still want to make a statement with your leotard, try one with a bold motif or print. I especially love this cat-print one—the tail at the back is adorable!

On Its Own

If you don’t want to wear your one-piece out in public during the day, you can definitely make it work at night! Accessorize it any way you like: with heels, a statement necklace, or even a hat. For a daytime look, I recommend thigh-highs, flats, and a short jacket. You can also look for leotards with a bit of leg coverage for more of a romper-y feel.

Every Day

Of course you can wear a leotard as part of every-day outfits too—just style it as you would any other top—with a skirt, shorts, or trousers.

All-Out Glam

This is for when you want to channel your inner Beyoncé—put on your best sequins, latex, or velvet, and be the diva you were born to be! ♦

• lydiamerida September 11th, 2013 11:41 PM

I want to wear them but hate the attention I get when I wear tight stuff in front of boyz

• rainingmay September 11th, 2013 11:45 PM

I’M DYING FOR A LEOTARD. they’re so ziggy stardust and look so comfortable and awesome.

• Aftergloweyes September 11th, 2013 11:47 PM

This is pretty damn amazing ! I had doubts about how I could wear one, but now …….
    LOOK OUT WORLD!!!

• lauraunicorns September 12th, 2013 1:16 AM

The phrase “a breeze to pee in” is the best thing I’ve heard all day. All I could see was someone peeing into the wind. Leotards are so comfy! I don’t really wear them alone but they’re great to use under dresses instead of a cami because they don’t get bunchy.

• Rosa-Bones September 12th, 2013 1:49 AM

Awhh… I love that.” Your body is perfectly lovely and deserves all the clothes you have ever wished to wear” This is so so so so so true and important and really well said.
    I have an old leotard with cool tropical fruits and birds.

If you want, check out my blog. Would be nice (:

• Cynthia September 12th, 2013 2:22 AM

this is my favourite thing right now. I will buy some cool leotards and stuff to wear them with in 2 weeks when I get some money for my birthday! :D (I actually do have a black leotard for my dance exams, but it doesn’t have a snap crotch, so that’d probably be quite annoying to wear for anything else but dancing!)

• Aoife September 12th, 2013 2:51 AM

I own 20+ Black Milk bodysuits and I wear them as tops alllll the time! They’re the best! No snap crotches though so peeing sucks…

• Badlands September 12th, 2013 8:42 AM

Pull the crotch part to THE SIDE to pee! No need for a snap-crotch, no need to take off all your clothes = Life changing!

• Majel September 12th, 2013 6:28 AM

I wore a black leotard with black shorts, black boots and white tights once, and that was amazing!

• Lemons September 12th, 2013 9:25 AM

Omg the cat-themed leotard is amazing! I completely agree..they make you look and feel amazing, pulling everything into place in all the right ways!
    I always wear a sporty one with tailored high waisted trousers…never fails to make me feel a million dollars!

• Peanutpug September 12th, 2013 4:43 PM

What’s up with the ad at the bottom of this article which reads: surprise your boyfriend with a new body

??? :(

• Danielle September 12th, 2013 4:50 PM

We’ll look into it – thank you for noticing!

• Ting September 12th, 2013 5:38 PM

I have actually been looking at leotards lately, but had no idea how to wear them. Now I have lots of ideas thanks to this post so YAAAAAY!

• Ting September 12th, 2013 7:52 PM

I GOT IT DOWN AND DONE!

• Jes September 12th, 2013 8:09 PM

ALL OUT GLAM

• whyamidreamingwhenimstillawake September 14th, 2013 8:06 AM

THE CAT LEOTARD IS THE MOST AMAZING THING I HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY ENTIRE LIFE OMFG

• jaeie September 14th, 2013 11:22 AM

I love this! Leotards are so fab and these girls are great style inspirations. Something I LOVE about this site is the inclusion of all body shapes- no fat-shaming or skinny-shaming (most fashion sites seem to sway one way or the other unfortunately). That outfit with the sheer black shirt and tutu has given me some major outfit envy! :)

poprockwizard.tumblr.com

• andreakristina40572 September 14th, 2013 12:20 PM

I adore leotard’s. I use them all the time for ballet, they’re super comfy. I’ve never thought of them as anything more than that, super stylish and chic and the cat leotard omg, perfection. Any idea where I might purchase such a leotard? I must have it.♥

• andreakristina40572 September 14th, 2013 12:24 PM

Oh, never mind lol. I just realized that you added the link as well. *purchasing*

• hellocatty September 15th, 2013 1:46 PM

ughhhhhhhh I want a leotard so badly and I think you’re talking me into it!!

I use to wear one when I did ballet and they really are so freeing, it’s like wearing no clothes!!

• InProgress December 19th, 2013 11:35 PM

When in doubt, is it better to have a leotard a little smaller or larger?