You Asked It

Ask a Grown Woman: Tig Notaro

“You’re great. We’re all great.” Plus more words to live by from one of our favorite comedians/writers/geniuses.

Tig Notaro has been spreading her comic genius all over the place: in the new movie In a World…; on her latest CD, Live ($5 on iTunes); on her science-y podcast, Professor Blastoff; on tour; at next week’s Bentzen Ball, a comedy festival she curates in Washington, DC; and here on Rookie, answering your questions about making friends, liking yourself, and what to do when the worst happens.

To submit a question for next month’s Ask a Grown, email it to youaskedit@rookiemag.com with “Ask a Grown Man” or “Ask a Grown Woman” in the subject line, accordingly. Please include your first name (or nickname or initials), city, and age.

• clem September 30th, 2013 4:00 PM

I would just like to say that this has been the most wonderful thing. I sent that question to Rookie about my mother a few months ago. I eagerly (and perhaps naively) clicked upon every ‘ask’ article that appeared expecting an answer or just an indication that I had been heard. After a bit my enthusiasm began to wane as my question wasn’t featured. I completely forgot about it, in fact, until this video. I am now shaking and crying. The mere fact that someone has replied is amazing, but the enormous deal that TIG NOTARO has answered is fucking mind-blowing. I have been through so much shit and been stuck in this tiny bubble of despair and self-hatred, feeling so small and weak and the fact that someone cares is crazy and has kind of taken me out of that, so I would just like to say a major thank you from the bottom of my heart, you have no idea how much you have helped me.

I am going to try and start to cherish every moment.

• soviet_kitsch September 30th, 2013 4:56 PM

clem, you are brave and wonderful. you’re going to meet lots of people who love you and you deserve every bit of love and care you get and more. i’m so sorry for what happened but you are here now and that’s beautiful. <3

• Emmie September 30th, 2013 9:45 PM

so much love to you xoxoxo

• meaganelizabeth September 30th, 2013 10:02 PM

I am so sorry for what happened to you. You are such a brave person and I admire you for that! Lots of love xoxo

• marisa7 September 30th, 2013 11:53 PM

That was truly inspirational. I am so sorry for your loss and I’m sending you much love my way.

Stay strong ♡ (I can already tell you are)

• clem October 1st, 2013 10:37 AM

Wow, thank you so much guys, this means the world to me because it inspires in me so much hope and strength and warmth, so thank you.

• Tavi October 1st, 2013 12:42 PM

Heartbeams and hugs to you, Clem. <3

• elliesandpancakes October 2nd, 2013 5:32 AM

I’m sending a lot of love and hope your way.

• bibliovore September 30th, 2013 4:12 PM

I am really impressed Tig is on here. I’m a big fan, saw professor blastoff and her solo show this summer. Awesome.

• Amy Rose September 30th, 2013 4:17 PM

Clem, I’m sorry for what you’ve been going through, but am also so, so confident in your amazing strength and perseverance. Endless love to you.

• best_coast September 30th, 2013 4:51 PM

I ADORE Tig! She’s hilarious, but also such an inspiration to me. Rookie picks the best people to give advice!!

alwayscryingonthephone.tumblr.com

• coralgirl September 30th, 2013 5:10 PM

OMG I HAVE THE SAME T-SHIRT AS TIG NOTARO! VON TRIER VAN HALEN T-SHIRT … I love her even more …

• elliecp September 30th, 2013 5:24 PM

So damn cool! She seems awesome <3

• Pavanne September 30th, 2013 6:12 PM

‘own exactly who you are’
    my self confidence has gone through roof since i started to live by this :)

• flocha September 30th, 2013 6:16 PM

I want to be her best friend

• tasmia September 30th, 2013 6:54 PM

Fellow loner here! I just want to add, for making friends, just striking up conversations really helps. I once made a friend by asking a random person “Hey, are you in my chem class?” when I knew fully well that they were not. You could also just walk up to a table that seems friendly and ask “Can I sit here?” and go from there. Of course, being a loner is definitely not something that’s a problem – there’s a lot of perks that comes with solitude, but yeah, I do swear by striking up random conversations for making friends. (I move A LOT, so I have to re-make friends all the time.)

• tobtob September 30th, 2013 9:37 PM

OMG IT’S TIG NOTARO ON ROOKIE I LOVE THIS

• christineh October 1st, 2013 8:55 PM

Marry me, Tig! You are awesome!!

• bonesnks October 2nd, 2013 9:28 PM

Hey Rookie-
    Ever consider calling this segment “ask a grown person”? Just thought it might be nice to make a nod to the gender continuum rather than the gender binary…
    Cheers