Everything else

Saturday Links: Teen Girl, Attorney at Law Edition

Need a lawyer? Call the youngest person ever to pass the bar in the UK.

Anna F.

gabrielle-turnquest

On Monday, Bust reported on Gabrielle Turnquest, an 18-year-old who recently became the youngest person ever qualified to practice law in the UK. I don’t have much to add to that, besides a weird noise erupting from my throat that sounds like a combination of kudos and daaaang.

typhoonphotocreditjaclyncampanaro

I am a huge fan of legally free music on the internet, and NPR’s First Listen is bookmarked on my computer. The show premieres full-length albums before their actual release dates. New ones are added weekly, and this week they’re streaming Typhoon’s White Lighter. I’m loving it. Typhoon is the brainchild of Kyle Morton, from Portland, Oregon, but the band itself (above) is a big, noisy ensemble of constantly changing members. Their album is the kind that screams FALL to me and makes me really excited for the upcoming months. NPR also is streaming Valerie June’s debut album, Pushin’ Against a Stone, which is mellow and rich and perfect to listen to on a Saturday afternoon.

Stephanie

kathleen-hanna-spin-cover

On Wednesday, Spin posted its August cover story on Kathleen Hanna and the Julie Ruin. (I’m so jealous of all you who got to see them play last weekend at Rookie Fest in L.A., by the way!) In the stellar piece, which Julianne happened to write, Hanna discusses her time in Bikini Kill, how the Julie Ruin started and where it’s headed, her journey from Olympia, Washington, to Manhattan, and her struggle with Lyme disease. It really shows what a kick-ass lady she is! I loved it as both a longtime fan of her music and as someone who has been thinking a lot lately about how our art evolves as our lives do.

Emma

I was triply excited when the trailer for Enough Said popped up this week. Reason number one: The movie was written and directed by Nicole Holofcener. She’s the woman responsible for some of my all-time favorite movies, including Walking and Talking, which helped introduce the world to Catherine Keener and is therefore one of the most important films of the last century (according to me). Reason two: Enough Said stars the wonderful James Gandolfini, though sadly in his final role. I’ve always found Gandolfini to be a calming presence onscreen, like the nicest bear at the zoo, and I’ll miss his big hands and crinkly eyes. Reason three: If you watch the trailer all the way through, you may notice the appearance of ONE TAVI GEVINSON at the end. That’s right—our Tavi. I would give one million dollars to see Enough Said right this second, but I suppose waiting for it to come out in theaters at the end of September will make that much sweeter when I finally get to.

Anaheed

I read this article on Vice, “The Ghost Rapes of Bolivia” by Jean Friedman-Rudovsky, when Cindy linked to it on Facebook, and it ruined the rest of my day and I can’t stop thinking about it. So many warnings to administer here: It discusses rape, incest, and basically the discovery that everything is terrible and not just terrible but so much worse than you ever imagined. It is both a must-read and an “I wish I didn’t know about this.” So in case you just read it, or in case you cannot go there right now, here are a couple of items from this week that make the case that the world is not in fact a roiling cauldron of unthinkable horror:

1. This Missed Connection on Craigslist. (I don’t want to give anything away—just read it.)

2. These pictures of skateboarding mice!

enhanced-buzz-2436-1375909345-1

Lena

And here’s another one! Several sites, including Salon, posted stories about thieves in L.A. who swiped computers and other equipment from an office that houses a nonprofit support center for survivors of sexual assault. Not a cool thing to do, which the burglars themselves understood when they realized which organization they’d stolen from. So they brought the stuff BACK, left it all at the front door, and included this apology note:

heres-your-stuff-back-god-bless-letter

I know: They probably shouldn’t have stolen anything from anyone in the first place. But then they did the right thing! It reaffirms my faith in humanity, and makes me think of old redemption tales or fables or whatever that I can’t really remember now because I like this one better. ♦

• KatGirl August 10th, 2013 12:18 PM

Skateboard mice!
    I didn’t click on the rape thing, I was scared….
    The Missed Connection was cool, though.

• heartshapedbox August 10th, 2013 1:04 PM

I though that the missed connection would be some Ghost World type of thing but I JUST

• tweedcoats August 10th, 2013 1:28 PM

Yay Typhoon!! They’re awesome. I also really love the photo of the band..it’s so happy and just really pretty, something I want to be a part of.
    Also, the missed connections link was really cool. I love looking at the best of craigslist, it’s like it’s own art form.

• MadeleineL August 10th, 2013 2:26 PM

Can we take a moment to appreciate that someone responded to that missed connection?

Take it all in.

• Sophie ❤ August 10th, 2013 4:49 PM

This is so relatable, as always! Love it!

• Princess Mononoke August 10th, 2013 5:06 PM

That movie looks soooo good and OMG TAVI!!!!!!! XD I can’t even!

• Aoife August 10th, 2013 7:04 PM

I read the Ghost rapes article, how sad, and scary. Makes you appreciate how far we have come in our society as women, and how far we still have to go. It’s shocking how things like rape are still being dealt with.

• Little Madison August 10th, 2013 7:16 PM

The Rape Ghost story was mind blowing (Like, BABOOM!) Thank you so much for sharing it with us Anaheed…and the skateboarding mice totally made my day XD

• eremiomania August 10th, 2013 8:09 PM

Wow, the Ghost Rape piece is absolutely insane, it horrifies me to know that it’s happening. But the last story made me quite happy, even though burglary was involved.

• Merliss August 10th, 2013 9:39 PM

The Ghost Rapes story made me cry, of course. Rape is my biggest fear, but the funny thing is that I don’t remember when this fear began or even how I learned about rape. I literally live in fear of it, and think about the possibility of it every time I am alone with a man– even if he is my friend. I don’t know where the fear came from, but I want it to stop paralyzing me and start motivating me to do something. Anything.
    I belong to a theatre company that goes to elementary, middle, and high schools every school day and teaches them about bullying and sexual abuse through theatre. After the show, kids come up to us and confide in us, and it’s our job to give them advice- which is always to tell someone, and if they don’t believe you, tell someone else, and to keep telling until someone believes you. Our moderator is a trained counselor and reports every abuse we hear about. When training us, she told us that we would hear at least one story of sexual abuse from a child every time we performed. I didn’t believe her at all, until I discovered for myself that no matter how I hoped, there was a different kid, a different story, every day.

• Anaheed August 10th, 2013 10:55 PM

Ugh, Merliss, you just broke my heart. You are pretty awesome to do that work.

• maggiemadge August 10th, 2013 10:11 PM

The rape story was both heartbreaking and angering… My heart goes out to those victims and I am glad that I was able to hear some of their stories, just to be someone to listen and know their pain. To rebuff from the sadness, thanks for the other links to the mouse skateboarding and the missed connection (although that one nearly made me cry as well). I don’t know if it is real, but there is a part of me that is sad and hopeful for those two.

• thenoisythinker August 11th, 2013 1:59 AM

After reading all of that, I was just left speechless. But great picks, Rookie.

thenoisythinker.blogspot.com

• Fee August 11th, 2013 8:54 AM

The apology note and the missed connection…god, my heart is breaking <3. On a sadder note, I read about the Bolivian "ghost" rapes on Jezebel a few days ago and it's all so disturbing…apparently Bolivian police don't have jurisdiction in that community and they aren't educated about sex or really allowed to socialise with people outside the group so it's possible that they don't even have the language to start a dialogue about what's happening to them…just horrible. It's the sort of situation where I wish I could help but don't even know where to begin.

• Monroe August 11th, 2013 11:17 PM

Wow at the 18 year old lawyer. Congrats to her for having her life sorted out already. Lol I feel like a bit of a failure now.

• mint August 12th, 2013 5:27 AM

The apology letter was a nice touch. :’)

electricalbeing.blogspot.com/

• lauraunicorns August 13th, 2013 9:04 PM

YAY GO TAVI! Also, that story about the Bolivians was scary and sad and just shows how many people there are out there that need to be educated about sexual abuse!

http:// lauraunicorns.tumblr.com