Style

Learning the Face-ics: Presto Chango

Little things that make a big difference.

Each September brings another chance to have people be like, “Whoa, she got HOT over the summer.” To help make that happen, here’s Amy Rose, intrepid reporter on the Face-ics beat.

Part One: The Foundation

Part Two: Cheeks & Eyes

Part Three: Finishing Touches

Products Amy Rose used:

• Stila CC Color Correcting Cream Broad Spectrum SPF 20 ($44, Sephora)
• Tarte Power Couple Amazonian Clay Blush & Bronzer Duo in Park Ave Princess (bronzer) and Dollface (blush) ($30, Sephora)
• Benefit Cosmetics Sun Beam highlighter in Golden Bronze ($26, Sephora)
• Figs & Rouge tinted lip balm in Cherry Blossom ($8, FeelUnique.com)
• Cailyn Linefix gel eyeliner in Purple ($21, Cailyn) ♦

• LiaDyl August 9th, 2013 7:30 PM

Thanks as usual Amy Rose.

I have a request! I have noticed that curly hair/frizzy hair/unwieldy hair is covered a lot on this site, but what about straight, fine hair? Could you do a tutorial about how to add texture to finer hair? I’m always playing around with this and would love to know if you have any secrets…

xoxo

• Sue Denim August 9th, 2013 9:15 PM

Yes Mine is fine and straight and will never curl or maintain any volume at all. My hair is poker straight without brushing it. I love going to school looking like somebody from a seventies commune but I’d also like to be able to go to school with hair like Tracy Turnblad or Priscilla Presley.

• Holly August 13th, 2013 9:05 PM

I have the same problem. My hair won’t hold volume at all. Everytime I try to tease it, it just droops back down. lol

• kelsey akin August 9th, 2013 8:19 PM

This is literally my “back to school goal” every single year and i am so happy these videos exist. Also, they really remind me of Katy Perry’s song One of the Boys which is some quality musical stuff if i do say so myself, so props for making the perfect make-up tutorial counterpart.

• Sophie ❤ August 9th, 2013 8:48 PM

Once again, I love this!

• paige-alexandra August 9th, 2013 9:17 PM

She’s just the cutest thing since I don’t know and her videos just make me smile((: (also very talented)

• Katie8797 August 9th, 2013 9:40 PM

Amy Rose is like Emma Stone and Jen Lawrence’s kick-ass love child. She’s awesome, and I love these videos!!

• Ruby B. August 9th, 2013 10:25 PM

Whoa, you’re right, she is!
      And as someone who sucks at makeup these tutorials are life-changing

• kikikaylen August 10th, 2013 12:30 AM

Oh my god, for real. She reminds me so much of Emma Stone. This was a great, simple tutorial :-)

• Holly August 12th, 2013 7:39 PM

She also reminds me of DailyGrace (youtuber)

• GabbyCat August 9th, 2013 9:59 PM

this is the best

• Michaela L. August 10th, 2013 12:05 AM

Wonderful! I’m going to college this fall and figure I should at least know how to apply the basics. Does anyone have any recommendations for a low-cost, non-oily foundation and concealer? I’d really appreciate it!

• Sarah P August 10th, 2013 1:05 PM

My favorite foundation and concealer are the Almay smartshade line. They come in like, 3 or 4 colors, which sounds crazy. But you put a little bit on your fingers, dot it on your face, rub it in, and then it matches the color of your face for your perfect shade of makeup. It’s the coolest most awesome thing ever. They’re like $8 or so each, so not the cheapest in the drugstore, but not outrageously expensive either. Also, a little bit goes a long way and it feels totally natural when you wear it.

• annie August 10th, 2013 2:14 AM

you’re my fave, amy rose

• marthaflatley August 10th, 2013 2:38 AM

can you do a how to dye your hair blonde one? I know that’s not a face-ic.

• indaslicht August 10th, 2013 9:07 AM

i’m interested in getting a concealer, but i’m a total newbie at all that makeup stuff that goes on the parts of my face that aren’t, like, my eyes and mouth. if amy rose or a fellow rookie could help me out with what to look for, what to avoid, etc etc, that would be great. thanks, babes!

• Amy Rose August 10th, 2013 11:50 AM

Hey man! Have you seen some of the other Face-ics videos? The first one is all about foundation, concealer, blush (I think? I don’t remember), etc. If you have more questions, let me know and I’ll try to address them here or in a future video! X ARS

• theeyuh August 10th, 2013 12:13 PM

I like how you said it comes to the party in part two. :D

• Miarele August 10th, 2013 1:36 PM

Hi Amy Rose, you’re funny and I love your personality, it really makes your videos enjoyable to watch. But a little thing tho, could you maybe shoot them in a more well-lit place?Or use a ring light maybe? Just a small suggestion, because sometimes in the videos I can’t really see the “differences” the makeup supposed to make quite clearly.

Thank you for doing this series! :)

• gentleman honey farmer August 10th, 2013 8:13 PM

Gorgeous and wonderful, as always.
    Amy Rose, I hope you don’t think this is too personal or invasive, but what kind of bra are you wearing in these videos? I’m not trying to be pervy at all but you look fabulous and I was just wondering, since as a fellow well-endowed lady I am always on the lookout for great strapless options.
    Thank you!

• Amy Rose August 11th, 2013 11:51 AM

Hi, ya huge perv! Just kidding, of course. I’m actually wearing a 1940s bathing suit with built-in underwire here, but I feel like Marie or one of her stylish cohorts have answered bra questions in a past Damn Girl Ya Look Good. Check it out!

• Holly August 11th, 2013 1:07 AM

Lol this is why I love Rookie! You guys are amazing and hilarious(:

• jkate August 11th, 2013 1:41 AM

Curious about your face care routine. Can you do a video about removing makeup?

• kati August 11th, 2013 9:19 PM

i love your videos!!!
    i have a quick question. I love to curl my lashes and put mascara on them but they started to fall off. Do you have any advise on keeping them healthy while wearing mascara every day?

• Amy Rose August 12th, 2013 1:06 PM

Thanks, Kati! First, make sure you’re using your curler GENTLY, BEFORE your mascara, and not PULLING on your lashes with it. You should be holding it in place and not really moving it when it’s clamped onto your lashes, then releasing. Next, try a mascara that says “strengthening,” or look for one with vitamin E.

You know what? I suspect, though, that the main issue with lash fallout that you’re experiencing comes from the way you’re removing it. What kind of eye makeup remover are you using? Rubbing and rubbing at mascara with regular facial cleanser, or worse, trying to PICK it off, can damage your shit. Instead, start your makeup removal routine with plain old olive oil on a cotton ball or soft tissue (ONLY ON YOUR EYES, THOUGH, this shit is quite obviously OILY), then use cleanser afterward to remove the residue around your eye area once all the black stuff is entirely off your zone.

This is all great stuff to talk about that I’ll totally address this in a future video! Thanks for the inspiration, dollface, and I hope your lashes stay firmly in place henceforth.

• suriKatka August 12th, 2013 11:34 AM

Thanks for nice videos and tips! But do you think you could try and shoot them, I don’t know, by the window maybe? I think it’s a shame when you have makeup tutorial, but colours and everything look dimmed and a bit grayish..

• Ciara Gavin August 19th, 2013 10:24 AM

Amy Rose for 13th Doctor!

-www.ciaratheunicorn.wordpress.com