Everything else

Editor’s Letter

August 2013: Thrills & Chills

Hey Rookies!

This month’s theme is THRILLS & CHILLS. Here’s how I described it in the email I sent to our staff to start them brainstorming ideas:

Think Wendy Bevan’s dreary/dreamy circus photography, Diane Arbus, vintage circus posters, Las Vegas, cheesy ’70s Vegas Elvis, John Waters, Salvador Dalí, the Rolling Stones’ Rock and Roll Circus, and Taylor Swift’s RED Tour, which is all glitzy Alice in Wonderland/toy box/ballerinas/old Hollywood/circus–themed.

Basically we want this to be a fun last-hurrah-of-summer month that’s just about CRAZY SHIT THAT HAPPENS MAN. I keep a list in one of my notebooks called WONDERS OF THE WORLD and it’s all of this kinda fascinating stuff: various cults, the Brown Mountain Lights, Robert Johnson’s crossroads, JT LeRoy, the twitching girls of upstate New York, the Mississippi cheerleaders who fainted in unison in the ’50s, etc. This month is about that stuff, but also about REAL-LIFE SMALL-TOWN STORIES. Like I have an arch nemesis and I actually find our relationship so hilarious and I would totally write about how good it is to have a “joking” hateful relationship with someone as long as you’re both egotistical enough to not actually get offended, or something. DIY ARCH NEMESIS?
Other general thoughts: Anger! Fights with friends ’n’ family! Taking risks—ones that don’t involve like PHYSICAL ACTION but feel HUGE because they indicate change (like getting into a new style of dress or a band or something), all the My So-Called Life pilot/Perks of Being a Wallflower first “bad kid” experiences, friends that are “bad influences.” The feeling when you KNOW you’re about to do something bad (suspense! thrills!) but go ahead anyways—or don’t and regret it (or don’t regret it!). Realizing that it’s OK to not be WILD AND CRAZY and to not force it by acting like you are on the show Skins or something. People clutching on to that kind of play-acting as an identity because they’re worried they’re not actually interesting people or they feel like they HAVE to be “interesting” when really, you just have to be nice!

Here are notes from Anaheed:

There’s a certain specific kind of pleasure in thrillers, those stories that you are kind of cringing through because you can’t bear to go on but YOU DO. Which is not to say everything this month should be anxiety-producing & stressful—I’m thinking about it as a fun month, since everyone’s about to go back to school and get all serious again. Lots of stories about crazy shit that happened, gross-out stories, amazing feats, etc. Getting into trouble! Thrilling adventures! A lot of exclamation points!/blockquote>

Enjoy! And if you’re in the Los Angeles area and are looking for some THRILLS AND CHILLS this weekend, we are hosting an event with Urban Outfitters at Space 15 Twenty this Sunday from 4 to 8 PM.

Rookie Fest

Besides our usual fun zine-making, dancing, and EATING, we’ll have extra-special happenings with extra-special guests. Do you like Parks and Recreation? Saturday Night Live? Feminist punk supergroups? Then please, do join us!

Because we had maximum-capacity issues last time and had to shut it down, this event will have a different admission policy. Click here to RSVP. The first 75 people to do so are guaranteed admission and must arrive by 4 PM. After that, we’ll have general admission, but we can’t go over capacity like last time, so you gotta be fast!

Hope to see you there, and that you like this THRILLING, CHILLING month.

Love,
Tavi

• Marian August 1st, 2013 3:05 PM

I really want to go to the Rookie fest, it sounds amazing!!! Too bad I don’t live in California :(
    Oh well, this month sounds great anyway.

• flapperhatgirl August 1st, 2013 3:17 PM

Dang, why can’t you hold one on the east coast?!

• heartshapedbox August 1st, 2013 3:23 PM

AW DARN I won’t be home in two weeks :(

• EmmaS August 1st, 2013 3:24 PM

I WANT TO GO TO THE ROOKIE FEST, BUT I LIVE IN IRELAND! WHY!?!?

• lauraunicorns August 1st, 2013 3:29 PM

WHY DO I HAVE TO LIVE IN THE SOUTHEAST i am soooooooo sad :”””((( but the theme sounds great!

• rainingmay August 1st, 2013 3:30 PM

OH MY GOD I’M FROM MINNEAPOLIS BUT I’M GOING TO LA ON SUNDAY MORNING OH MY GOD OH MY GOD I CAN GO HECK YES THANK YOU I LOVE YOU GUYS GO ROOKIE!!!!!!!!!

XOXOXOXOXO

• AnimalDecay August 2nd, 2013 12:51 AM

CAN I HIDE IN YOUR LUGGAGE OMG PLEASE (Also from minneapolis which makes it convenient!)

• solitarysister August 1st, 2013 3:35 PM

it’s weeks like this that make me want to scream at life. Vidcon AND Rookie Fest?! WHY DON’T I LIVE IN LA.

• wpaigej August 1st, 2013 7:17 PM

EXACTLY.

• whyamidreamingwhenimstillawake August 1st, 2013 7:27 PM

OH MY GOD yes. Both of these things. And I live in AUSTRALIA. Argh

• MabelEnchanted August 1st, 2013 3:46 PM

Everything you mentioned in your email are like my favourite things… I can’t wait for this month! If only I lived in America then I would definitely go to that meet up!

• Alex S. August 1st, 2013 3:46 PM

This sounds so cool but I live on the east coast :((((

Another time hopefully!

• ellestolemyname August 1st, 2013 4:05 PM

I believe there’s going to be a Rookie meetup in London but its a pity that the whole team won’t be there :(

• abby111039 August 1st, 2013 4:38 PM

Feminist punk supergroups? Damn, why can’t I live in California?? :(

Anyhow, this month sounds really cool. The mention of ballerinas brought back imagery of MCR’s “Helena” music video. :)

• Alice123 August 1st, 2013 4:39 PM

SKIIIIIIINS <3

• rosiesayrelax August 1st, 2013 4:44 PM

Hey, Tavi, next time could you come to the UK. Specifically Wales. Nothing happens here and I might die of boredom.

• Jolala August 1st, 2013 4:50 PM

PLEASE COME TO ALASKAAAAAAA

• emseely August 1st, 2013 5:01 PM

I’m going to VidCon AND Rookie Fest…. am I going to die omg

• Mary the freak August 1st, 2013 5:04 PM

Ohmy, I am SO EXITED FOR THIS MONTH! i have been looking forward to it since I read august will be thrills’n chills themed. (:
    This is gonna be freaking amazing.

• Sophie ❤ August 1st, 2013 5:04 PM

I’m so sad, since I don’t live in CA. Oh well. Great post!

• dorkdynamite August 1st, 2013 5:06 PM

manohman I wish I didn’t live in England right now! I’m super phyched for this months theme though.

• Isil August 1st, 2013 5:35 PM

I wish I were in USA :(

• AngstyTheBrave August 1st, 2013 5:51 PM

You guys should do another tour and come to Vancouver. Or Seattle. Anywhere that is less than a two days drive from Edmonton.

• AngstyTheBrave August 1st, 2013 5:52 PM

Also I am excited for this month’s theme, and even more excited for September. I actually have some ideas this month! Yeah, woo!

• ThePuNkR0ckeR August 1st, 2013 6:08 PM

tavi, can you please do an event in chicago??

• cole123 August 1st, 2013 8:30 PM

YES!!! That would be great.

• MaryFairy August 1st, 2013 6:32 PM

I know! Goddammit, somebody I like has to visit Ireland already. :-/

• kathryn-s August 1st, 2013 6:36 PM

wahhhhhh why don’t we have high-speed trains that will take me to LA for $10???

• Chloe22 August 1st, 2013 7:10 PM

We need some Chicago events, Rookie!

• Aftergloweyes August 1st, 2013 7:15 PM

That’s my Birthday !!!!!! sadly I live in Australia :(

• kimchi August 1st, 2013 7:27 PM

is there any way that tavi will be able to do a mini meet up of sorts outside of the melbourne writers festival during her short time in melbourne?

many of us in the facebook group rookie meetup australia found out about these events only after they were already sold out. we’d love to get an opportunity to meet tavi though!

• figgy August 1st, 2013 7:30 PM

pleasepleaseplease have a rookie event in nj <3

• HollinsCollins August 1st, 2013 7:41 PM

Are you guys doing a meet up/book signing in new york again?

• lauraelissa August 1st, 2013 7:43 PM

Yes! Tavi when are you in Melbourne? We wanna have another meet up and try to meet you! Please let us know so we can plan for all Melbourne rookies to come!
    So sad I missed tix to the writers festival!

• connie. August 1st, 2013 7:53 PM

Ahh if only I had seen this four hours earlier! I live an hour or two outside LA, depending on traffic, so it is kind of a long drive. Just wondering, what is the maximum capacity? Just don’t want to travel all the way up and not be able to get in!

• Nicole August 1st, 2013 8:04 PM

please do something in boston eventually! :( you guys are awesome it makes me sad when you’re only either in NYC or LA

• jessisamess August 1st, 2013 8:05 PM

Man, I really want to go but if I do I’m gonna go alone. :( and I hate going places where I don’t know anyone. Ahhh but I’ll try to suck it up seeing its so close to me and stuff.

• Nicollette Villaloboz August 2nd, 2013 1:19 PM

Same here! I really want to go but have no one to go with :(

• purrr August 1st, 2013 11:33 PM

Hi!! I think I rsvp’ed today around 3pm, but i didnt recieve any kind of email or anything so i’m worried it didn’t go through. i used the mobile website. i know you cant give out your surname in the comments, but my first name is anastasia and since its pretty unique is there any way i can check if i am in fact on the rsvp list? i just bought a ticket to LA (i’m from north cal) and it would be very upsetting if i weren’t able to get in. thanks in advance!!!

• AnimalDecay August 2nd, 2013 12:48 AM

*Crying because I live in Minneapolis where Rookie stuff never happens*

• kelsey August 2nd, 2013 12:51 AM

You know, the one thing that I think is kind of missing in Rookie, which I’ve been working up the nerve to mention, is a rather more aware outlook about where things like clothes come from. I don’t mean that I wish Rookie would become a raging environmentalist site (that would ruin it) but I do wish that there was a tiny bit more thoughtfulness about things like advocating brands or stores that use sweatshops or slave labor. The easiest way to make a difference in the world is just realizing that the products you buy affect other people’s lives and then acting on that knowledge.

• Sam August 3rd, 2013 7:47 PM

Thank you for making this comment – I saw Urban Outfitters and thought the same thing. I wasn’t sure if I was just not up-to-date, and the company had improved in recent times, but a quick google indicated the opposite.

I think you’ve worded it better than I’m able to on the pitiful amount of sleep I’ve had at present. I just think it would be nice to see some acknowledgement of the problems associated with the companies/brands/etc. Rookie promotes, and perhaps some consideration of the ways in which Rookie’s power, even if slight compared to that company’s, could be used to bring about some change there – be it a boycott, or in making readers more aware, or using the platform here at Rookie to add to the pressure already put upon the company to be more socially aware.

But yeah, as you’ve said, just awareness and thoughtfulness, as a first step, would be wonderful.

• sissiLOL August 2nd, 2013 3:13 AM

One of the best month-theme EVER and the best month- theme for my holidays, I think this theme is WONDERFUL for hot, long days and for doing crazy holiday things. :-)
    Stylebruch.blogspot.com

• Mishapunk August 2nd, 2013 4:41 AM

I was too late to rsvp:(

• emlyb August 2nd, 2013 5:09 AM

OMFG I THINK THIS IS THE BEST THEME EVER SO FAR MAYBE

• Jodie August 2nd, 2013 7:30 AM

It would be incredible if you could take a trip across the pond and do something like this in London. I don’t live there but would be a lot easier to get to <3 <3

• Monroe August 2nd, 2013 10:33 AM

I’m so exited for this month’s theme. I hope you’ll be posting lots about creepy clowns and occult happenings and strange stories. The more lurid, tacky, bizarre, and crazy the better. I’m so excited for the style posts! But anyway, am I the only one who likes the quirkier monthly themes like “girl gang” “road trip” and “thrills and chills” more than the single adjective ones?

• taste test August 2nd, 2013 2:53 PM

whoever made this month’s logo thing did an amazing job. it looks so nice.

• Hannah May August 2nd, 2013 9:27 PM

Would love to come but already made plans. You should hold an event in SF next year! Good luck! I wish I could come.

• mmorsmordree August 2nd, 2013 11:53 PM

I would love to go but my niece’a birthday is that day and I love her too darn much to ditch her birthday party.

• Holly August 3rd, 2013 1:10 AM

Y’all need to come to Louisiana! (Or atleast Texas because I could probably manage to come to Houston or Dallas, it’s not too far from where I live)

• KatGirl August 3rd, 2013 12:22 PM

Why do you not have Canadian meet ups? ;_; I guess they would probably be in Toronto, and I’m not a Torontonian…. Any prairie Rookies out there?

• KatGirl August 3rd, 2013 12:22 PM

Or west- coast rookies would be okay for August.

• CelianotCecelia August 5th, 2013 3:15 PM

Rookie Fest needs to come to Chicago!

• Theprincessleiahair August 5th, 2013 6:40 PM

Northern Virginia and D.C.??? Come on there’s got to be some rookie readers in the nation’s capital!

• mollie123 August 20th, 2013 5:53 AM