Everything else

Saturday Links: WondaGurl the Wonder Girl Edition

A 16-year-old who makes beats for Jay-Z like it’s no big deal. Plus: the mysterious Prince, the lovable Bobby Hill, and a Goldberg machine powered by dogs.

Julianne

Ebony “WondaGurl” Oshunrinde is a 16-year-old Nigerian-Canadian record producer who started teaching herself to make hip-hop beats when she was nine, after she saw a video of Timbaland and Jay-Z making music together (maybe this one, from Jay’s “retirement” movie Fade to Black?). Fast-forward to this week, and now it’s WondaGurl who’s making the Jay-Z beats. She co-produced the song “Crown” on the just-released Jay-Z album Magna Carta Holy Grail, and the beat—full of snarling bass and a sample of the reggae artist Sizzla—is one of the best on the record. Obviously, this is a big deal to her—she told the Toronto Star that “usually that doesn’t happen to 16-year-olds”—but let’s face it, she’s an old pro at this: Last year, she was the only girl competing in Toronto’s “Battle of the BeatMakers,” and she won the entire thing. WondaGurl skyped into MTV this week to discuss making the Jay-Z beat, and it’s so cool how chill and professional she seems to be about everything.

the_mysterious_prince

The mysterious Prince is on the cover of V magazine looking AMAZING. (THAT FACIAL HAIR)! In the accompanying interview, which is partially excerpted on the magazine’s website, he hates on cell phones, compares his music to a “galaxy,” and lists the artists he likes to listen to most, all of which are women, thankyouverymuch.

Apparently, every year in Finland someone makes a new song that promotes contraception to teens! This year’s, by the Finnish rapper Cheek, is a chart-topper and totally weird. The lyrics (based on what I read about them at This is Fake DIY; I don’t speak Finnish) are slightly slutshame-y, which is off-putting and kills the message for me, but go Finland!

Krista

boi_portraits

I really like these portraits by the Spanish photographer Jon Uriarte, posted this week at Feature Shoot, of guys wearing their girlfriends’ clothes in the places they live with their girlfriends. This is not because I’m interested in the photographer’s supposed intent to make “images that [show] not only the equality of balance in heterosexual relationships, but also the feeling of confusion the male may be experiencing with this change.” I couldn’t give a shit less about anyone’s confusing feelings re: equality. I’m actually interested in these pictures because I think a lot of the dudes are KILLIN’ IT in their girlfriends’ clothes. The fact that the men are looking good—real good—in women’s clothing gives us a nice opportunity to stop and think about how stupid it is that clothing is so gendered in the first place. I mean, that red ruffled playsuit? Dude is rocking it so hard I don’t want to see anyone else in it. Bearded guy in his girlfriend’s black high-waisted skirt and knee-high boots? That should be your new uniform, sir. Fuck what boys are “supposed” to wear. You look amazing, BBs.

Danielle

teacher_picture_day_1

I am a HUGE fan of jokes that take forever to pay off, so this teacher who wore the same outfit for school picture day 40 YEARS IN A ROW is number one right now in the book of GREAT IDEAS.

I played many games of Mouse Trap as a kid, and have always thought that Rube Goldberg machines (devices that use chain reactions or other complicated processes to achieve something that seems really simple) are fascinating. I generally do NOT care about commercials, but thanks to the combination of engineering and dogs, my favorite things on the planet, I have watched this puppy-powered Goldberg machine clip about 95 times since yesterday.

Arabelle

bobby_hill

I watched the animated series King of the Hill religiously with my dad for years and years, but the A.V. Club’s list of 10 episodes that made King Of The Hill one of the most human cartoons ever made me appreciate how relevant it still is, three years after its 13-year run ended. If you never got around to watching the cartoon, the article is a great intro—especially to some of Bobby Hill’s finer moments. I still go back occasionally and fawn over Bobby; Bobby is the best. (People at the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences seem to think so, too, because, as the A.V. Club points out in the article, the “And They Call It Bobby Love” episode won the show’s only Emmy.)

Tavi

Some months ago, an email from an unnamed sorority president at the University of Maryland was leaked to Gawker, and it supplied me with enough insults for the rest of my high school career and also for my career as a professional asshole. (Seriously, I’m sure we will all see some version of “cunt punt” in the next season of Veep.) In any case, now the email writer gives dating advice! See the madness here.

do_summer_right

And on Buzzfeed, photos of teenagers at school in 1969, like the one above, are making me feel like I’m doing summer all wrong!

Suzy X.

Rachel Jeantel, 19, has been making headlines as the star witness in the ongoing case against George Zimmerman, who is on trial for murder after killing 17-year-old Trayvon Martin in Sanford, Florida last year. Jeantel was the last person in contact with Martin before his death, and her testimony has proven to be one of the most—if not the most—crucial in the case so far. And as if Zimmerman’s attorney didn’t bully her enough on the stand, people on social media and in the regular media have ripped Jeantel apart for her appearance, the way she talks, and her (understandably!) emotional responses to questions about her friend’s death (Amy Rose wrote about this in more detail last Saturday). Jeantel hasn’t been able to respond to any of the criticism because she’s under subpoena, which means she can’t talk publicly about anything related to the case. But this week, Black America Web posted the transcript of a heartbreaking interview commentator Roland Martin conducted with Jeantel’s attorney Rod Vereen that provides some insight into her close friendship with Martin, who Vereen says was one of the few guys who didn’t tease her. In a case that SHOULD focus on what happened on one night alone, it seems totally unnecessary that Jeantel—and Martin—should be so heavily scrutinized. Vereen helped bring the discourse back down to earth.

Lena

On Tuesday, Strife TV posted this video of the all-girl, Paris-based dance crew Zamounda Crew showing off their bonkers moves in subway stations, city parks, and THE SNOW. They not only make it look like the easiest thing in the world, which is 100 percent an illusion, but also the most fun (100 percent true—as far as I can tell). ♦

• ruby July 6th, 2013 12:24 PM

That email omg :L

• Unicorn Heels July 6th, 2013 1:22 PM

Omgigawd my teacher wears that outfit almoste everyday.

They’re twins.

-Tear-

• Chloe22 July 6th, 2013 1:33 PM

What is it with watching King Of The Hill with your dad?! Me and my dad since I was like 3 watched this. I still remember the pilot episode, where family services is called and Bobby uses it to his advantage. ”Loud Is Not Aloud”.

• Eileen July 6th, 2013 2:42 PM

I LOVED the portraits of guys wearing their gf’s clothes… <3 <3 on so many levels..

• bugaleeto July 6th, 2013 3:17 PM

My brother goes to Maryland and he is friends with that girl’s brother omg

• Caitlin H. July 6th, 2013 3:32 PM

that teacher is my new found hero

• Sophie ❤ July 6th, 2013 4:40 PM

I agree with all of the above: overall, I have to say: LOVE IT!

• Madness July 6th, 2013 4:57 PM

That’s really cool that Wondagurl is making beats for Jay-Z. Its my dream to be a hip-hop producer. I just started making beats and its so hard! Its very inspiring to see someone like her doing so well!!

• June July 6th, 2013 5:02 PM

Do you have any idea what it’s like to see a Finnish rap song video here on this site? Not something I would have expected, but hey, it’s great that you’ve discovered such a big part of our contemporary music culture… I’m certainly not a fan of this particular genre, but it’s true that the message is really good. For the slut-shamingness, it’s actually more up to the way you yourself want to interpret the lyrics – basically the song is about a young boy having a crush on a girl who also sleeps with other guys, which naturally makes it necessary to wear a condom. I’d say it’s not slut-shaming unless you shame on girls who sleep with multiple people. I also must mention the quirky play with language: the refrain ‘Jossulla on toinen’ can have two meanings, since “Jossulla on toinen” translates to “Jossu’s got another” and “jos sulla on toinen” means “if you’ve got another” – they sound just the same, but it’s up to you to decide how you want to interpret it. Sorry for the long comment, I just think it’s really cool whenever someone mentions Finland and brings out weird stuff like this:D

• Manda July 6th, 2013 8:05 PM

ahhh! I am also super excited to see some Finnish music recognition here! I’m from Canada, but I love the catchiness and sense of humour a lot of popular Finnish music has.

• Riikka July 7th, 2013 8:17 AM

I agree with you on the slut-shaming aspect of the song,I personally don’t interpret it as slut-shaming. Amazing seeing something from Finland make it into Rookie !

• Maddy July 7th, 2013 12:22 AM

a) WonderGurl is cute and amazing
    b) I hope people see the photos of the men in womens clothes and are accepting

ALSO was it on Rookie that there was an article about a joke that takes a whole weekend to tell and it was to a family friend and there was this whole setup and then the joke isn’t funny but it is??? Hep me! Hep! :D

• Lena July 7th, 2013 11:30 AM

I don’t think that was us—but then again, I can never remember a joke, either!

• queserasera July 7th, 2013 1:19 AM

uriarte’s photos are amazing–gender bending awesomeness! and those 60s patterned tights are to die forrr

• squidney July 7th, 2013 3:24 PM

ok the saturday links page is basically turning into a recap of buzzfeed articles. a lil originality pls? still love rookie to the moon n back xx

• Manda July 7th, 2013 10:38 PM

1. I second that notion!
      2. I think that the Thisisfakediy article did not represent Jossu very well. The song is told from the perspective of the guy who is in love with her but pretty oblivious of her polygamy, not about some “slut” or “promiscuous girl.” The only really negative parts about Jossu in the lyrics (based on an English translation, which is always going to be imperfect) are that she is a “wild one” and a “bitch.” Slut-shaming is a very subjective topic, and while you can argue that this song slut-shames, I just wish that in the future, more research is done before forming any opinions. I have no beef with you calling it slut-shaming, I just wish you’d have more/better information to back it up with.
      3. Logging in on mobile (iPhone) is a pain in the ass because I can’t type in the password bar until I hit “submit” and have to type it in on the “password invalid” page or whatever it is called. I don’t write comments on mobile very often, but it would be something to take a look at.
      4. This seems long and whiny/grumpy, but I would just like to say that this website really is the shit. (good shit, ie pure, unadulterated amazingness)

• Julianne July 8th, 2013 1:30 PM

Hi all! Sorry, I meant to say that I interpreted the *VIDEO* as slightly slut-shaming, not the lyrics, because I do not speak Finnish and maybe the dudes at this is fake diy don’t either. The video had my cockles up, but also it’s possible that I am coming at it from an American perspective of dudes everywhere constantly calling women who express their sexual agency as “slutty.” Just to clarify! To reiterate: GO FINLAND!

• alienbabe July 7th, 2013 6:18 PM

Haha, king of the hill! <3

• mimsydeux July 8th, 2013 12:39 AM

Sorry to nitpick, Rookie, but it should read: “and lists the artists he likes to listen to most, all of WHOM are women, thankyouverymuch.”

• wallflower152 July 8th, 2013 12:57 PM

In response to the men in their gf’s clothes, Krista you make a really good point that I didn’t think about when I saw these photos. Haha, yes they do look awesome, but what is with the gender boundaries in clothing? What makes it not ok for men to wear dresses? Women can wear pants. So is that saying dressing masculine is ok for both genders because being masculine is ok? That would make it wrong for men to wear women’s clothes because there is something wrong with being feminine. Or is it some archaic gender norm that we just held onto arbitrarily? One time I was shopping, looking at some summer dresses with my bf, he said something like “girls are so lucky, you can wear whatever you want. Guys can wear pants or shorts with a shirt and that’s it.” I mean think about it, creatively how much it would suck to be limited to pants and shorts. Sometimes we forget that sexism works both ways. Marketers should get on this, imagine how much more $ the clothing industry could make if men had more options.