Dear Diary

July 24, 2013

Friendship update.

Katherine

Sunday night I was hanging out at home with my brother, and naturally our conversation turned to the Kardashians. We’re into them and love their shows. We had determined which Kardashian each member of our own family is most like and were beginning to refine these comparisons when my mom walked into the kitchen. Davis told her who was who, then he began to list everyone’s secondary Kardashian personality, assigning secondary Kardashian personalities as he went along, like: “Mom is the Scott Disick of Kris Jenners. Katherine’s the Kim Kardashian of Kourtney Kardashians. I’m like…what am I? Just Khloé?” And I was like, “Yeah lol.” Later I said he was the Kylie Jenner of Lamar Odoms of Khloé Kardasians, but mostly he’s just a more self-aware Khloé and is sore because he would rather be Kourtney because she’s our favorite. Mom was agitated because we told her she was Kris, but she remembered that we once told her that we hate Kris. But she can’t deny that they’re twins, down to the fact that they both love any house decoration that has a rooster on it. Dad may have some Bruce Jenner or Lamar Odom in his equation, but he mostly transcends comparison.

I may have been the only person who didn’t complain about their Kardashian analogue. In fact I am OVER THE MOON about mine. Sometimes Kim and Khloé just don’t catch on to what is going on around them, but Kourtney always knows what’s up. She’s the smartest Kardashian sister, and she knows that too. Also, she does this thing where she’ll be trying to help someone and she’ll ask, “What is this doing for you?” and sometimes when her sisters are tormenting her she will call them “you sick freaks,” which proves how alike we are because that’s how I react to my brother and he’s being annoying, and I’m always doubtful that anything I do is actually beneficial to anyone.

Netflix Instant provides a single word in its “this show is” section for Keeping Up With the Kardashians: scandalous. This makes no sense. What is “scandalous” about the Kardashians?! OK, there was a sex tape, but is that really, truly “scandalous”? It’s definitely a scandal in that many media outlets reported on it, but it’s not shocking, it’s just something people habitually call a “scandal.” Anyway, only the first episode of the first season really deals with the aftermath of Kim’s tape. Is it just that the Kardashians’ money, their tendency to rock club wear in the daytime, and their frequent mentions of genitalia (usually via the euphemisms “saussige” and “vajeen”) give them an aura of “scandal”? They’re a tight family that’s concerned mostly with supporting one another and making loads of money—what could be tamer than that? ♦

1 2 3 4

• Sophie ❤ July 24th, 2013 7:26 PM

Naomi and Katherine- I’m so sad that I can’t read yours right now! As for Ruby and Britney, I feel you. Once again. I made a new friend. Weirdness. It’s all part of that daily topic, you know? Oh well. Loved these! And Katherine: I can’t wait to see yours!

New blog in town that you can visit:

• Kaetlebugg July 24th, 2013 7:33 PM

I LOVE YOU ALL. Diaries are an art form and you three (as well as the other Rookie diarists!) are masters.

• Tyknos93 July 24th, 2013 10:09 PM

Just wanna say, Caitlin, your illustration is really beautiful this week!

• Lola Witch July 25th, 2013 12:57 AM

Congratulations on making a new friend Ruby!!!!

• Jes July 25th, 2013 1:10 AM

Katherine- Thank you for your piece on the Kardashians! It is rare that anyone ever gives the Kardashians the respect they deserve. Although I have to say, I disagree with your opinion on Kourtney. Khloé is obviously the best Kardashian sister :)

• jessie77 July 25th, 2013 1:56 AM

Caitlin- your picture is beautiful and stunning and mesmerizing and i soo know that feeling <3 <3

• Graciexx July 25th, 2013 6:01 AM

love caitlins!

• Eileen July 25th, 2013 8:59 AM

Ruby, heart heart heart.

• Ella W July 25th, 2013 12:02 PM

Caitlin’s illustration is brilliant this week! And I hope Naomi is back soon, I missed her diary today..
    Ella x

• Imogen-Rose July 25th, 2013 2:06 PM

Caitlin – I hope your next week is better!

Katherine – I loved your entry. I also love the Kardashians, which no one in my family understands.

Ruby – I’m so glad you’ve found someone you can really talk to! that’s a great feeling. I hope things will keep looking up for you from now on.

Britney – You made the mature move, and I’m so proud of you, especially because I probably wouldn’t have. Maybe I should be more like you next time I have a hard decision to make. thank you.

Great diaries this week! <3

• abby111039 July 25th, 2013 5:47 PM

Caitlin, I can whole-heartedly relate to how you’re feeling. Your illustration is beautiful and captures those emotions perfectly. I hope next week is better for you. <3

• unicornconnect July 26th, 2013 10:13 PM

ruby, oh my god this kid sounds cool!!!!

• lizzyheinie July 27th, 2013 12:13 AM

Can we just talk about Kim Kardashian for a minute, please?

People always talk shit on Kim because she’s “only famous because she made a sex tape,” yes? How do these people not realize what an INCREDIBLE FEAT this is?

I mean, come on people, she managed to make her ENTIRE EXTENDED FAMILY famous because she made a sex tape with a second rate R&B singer. Plenty of people make sex tapes. How many of their half-sisters can you name? Like can we just give Kim the credit she deserves because honestly you have to be a crazy sharp businesswoman to make that happen for yourself.

/end rant/

• GlitterKitty July 28th, 2013 11:18 AM

You definitely have a point here. I never thought of it this way….. Wow…

• mokgadi July 27th, 2013 12:42 PM

Caitlin, your illustration’s amaze, I hope your next week’s a lot better though :)

• Katie8797 August 10th, 2013 1:10 AM

I think I’m the Scott Disick of Kourtney Kardashian of Kendall Jenners.