Style

Double Visions

Super-sweet twin style vibes, even if you’re flying solo.

From time to time I fantasize about being a twin. I imagine it’s like looking into a mirror and seeing yourself…but IN REAL LIFE, which is the perfect way to shop: If you’re too lazy to try anything on, you can just force your sister to do it! Take a look at these movie twins to get some inspiration for your own threads, and pretend you have a doppelgänger to wear them with, too.

parenttrapcollage

The 1961 version of The Parent Trap has Hayley Mills playing identical twins Sharon and Susan, who meet at summer camp and trip out on their uncanny resemblance to each other. At first of course they hate each other, but once they realize they are actually sisters separated in infancy by divorcing parents, they team up to get their family back together. This plan entails trading places when camp is over, and each girl gets to experience life with the parent they never knew. Can you imagine?! La Lindsay Lohan starred in the 1998 remake, but I’ve always preferred the original, especially for its early-’60s fashion. In one scene, the girls try re-creating their parents’ first date and perform a musical number.

I’m in love with Sharon’s black dress with lace Peter Pan collar; find one like it below along with a fancy headpiece to get some of that vintage twin style.

Clockwise from far left: Record Time dress, $45, ModCloth; Silver Bow Necklace, $29, Icing; Floral Net Garland, $40, Topshop;  Memo loafers, $24, ASOS; blue purse, $51, ASOS.

Clockwise from far left: Record Time dress, $45, ModCloth; Silver Bow Necklace, $29, Icing; Floral Net Garland, $40, Topshop; Memo loafers, $24, ASOS; blue handbag, $51, ASOS.

escapetowitchmountaincollage

Escape to Witch Mountain (1975) is about twin orphans named Tia and Tony who possess supernatural powers. Tia can talk to animals and see events before they happen, and Tony has telekinetic abilities that are triggered when he jams on his harmonica. An evil millionaire kidnaps the twins so he can use their powers for his own personal gain, but the kids end up escaping and meet a man who helps them get to Witch Mountain, where they might learn where they came from and how they got to be the way they are. Throughout, Tia sports some great ’70s-style clothing. Get a similar look with bold patterned blouses and flared cords. (Psychic powers sadly not included.)

Clockwise from far left: ’70s-print top, $62, ASOS, Keystone State bag, $60, ModCloth,corduroy pants, $50,  6pm.com, fringe wedge booties, $41, GoJane.com, Evil Eye necklace, $22, Girlprops.com.

Clockwise from far left: ’70s-print top, $62, ASOS; Keystone State bag, $60, ModCloth; corduroy pants, $50, 6pm.com; fringe wedge booties, $41, GoJane.com; Evil Eye necklace, $22, Girlprops.com.

theshiningcollage

The Shining (1980) is about a writer named Jack Torrance who decides to take a job as the winter caretaker for an isolated hotel, intending to take advantage of the quiet to work on his book. He brings his wife and their young son, Danny, along, and the family begins to see and hear some freaky things. Danny has psychic visions and sees ghosts that haunt the hotel, the most famous of which are twin girls who appear to him in a long hallway as he rides around on his Big Wheel. The twins are creepy, yes, but take a look at the outfits: matching powder-blue dresses, white knee socks, and white hair bows. CAYOOT! Wouldn’t this make a great Halloween costume with your best friend?

Clockwise from far left: Romwe dress, $60, Luxuries4u.com, Grady twins necklace, $11, Etsy, chiffon double bow hair clip, $6, Claire’s,  Knee High Socks,  $40, American Apparel,  Dr. Martens Mary Janes, $153, ASOS.

Clockwise from far left: Romwe dress; Grady twins necklace, $11, Etsy; chiffon double-bow hair clip, $6, Claire’s; Knee-High Socks, $40 for five pairs, American Apparel; Dr. Martens Mary Janes, $153, ASOS.

ittakestwocollage

Everyone’s favorite twins, Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen, made a bunch of movies together after Full House. It Takes Two (1995) borrows a lot of plot elements from The Parent Trap: Amanda (Mary-Kate) is an orphan who wants to be adopted by her social worker, Diane, while Alyssa (Ashley) lives with Roger, her wealthy father. The two girls meet by chance, switch places, and decide that Diane and Roger would be perfect together, but Roger is set to marry a total snobby socialite. I’m really digging their casual overalls look; it’s perfect for summertime! Take their cue and find a pair of your own to wear with combat boots.

Clockwise from far left: Overalls, $28, J.C. Penney; brass slingshot necklace, $50, Threadflip, short sleeve top, $20, Charlotte Russe, combat boots, $33, GoJane.com, Backpack,$30, Macy’s.

Clockwise from far left: Overalls, $28, J.C. Penney; brass slingshot necklace, $50, Threadflip; short-sleeved top, $20, Charlotte Russe; combat boots, $33, GoJane.com; backpack, $30, Macy’s.

• Sophie ❤ July 30th, 2013 7:12 PM

This is so perfect, once again, for how I always feel!

• Milagros July 30th, 2013 7:15 PM

This is so cute, i’ll totaly try it with my twin sister!!!!

• kolumbia July 30th, 2013 7:16 PM

I’m matching Rookies with each other as pen pals again! Details are here: http://kittydrawscomics.tumblr.com/rookiepenpals

• Fee July 30th, 2013 7:23 PM

I just watched The Parent Trap this morning! And god, I would do awful things for that ModCloth dress.

• Abby July 30th, 2013 7:27 PM

YOU GUYS ESCAPE TO WITCH MOUNTAIN IS LIKE MY FAVORITE MOVIE EVERRR… it makes me literally so happy that it’s on here….

• holographic nights July 30th, 2013 8:24 PM

ADORABLE!

• izi July 30th, 2013 8:49 PM

rookie, i love the clothes you put together for these articles, but i was wondering if you could maybe put in some outfits that are more low-cost? some of us can’t really afford to spend 40 bucks on socks :(

• Anaheed July 30th, 2013 9:25 PM

That’s $40 for a pack of five, which is $8 for a pair, which is still not super cheap, so I don’t know if that makes a difference to you? We do try to keep the items our style posts within an affordable range for the most part, but we balance the cost considerations with an eye toward listing independent companies as much as possible. It is hard and we don’t always succeed, obviously — thanks for the feedback!

• Adrienne July 30th, 2013 11:57 PM

My twin and I were actually talking about dressing up as the Grady twins for Halloween! Despite hunting a million sites, we couldn’t find the perfect dress. Now we have an almost identical option… thanks Rookie!

• elliecp July 31st, 2013 2:42 AM

Escape to witch mountain is one of my favourite films! I discovered it when I was little, and spent about 10 years convinced I too had magic powers. <3

• emlyb July 31st, 2013 4:26 AM

omf the olsens’ were so cute!!!!!!
    also on an unrelated note i am so freeeeeaking excited for next month’s rookie!! eek

• milone July 31st, 2013 6:06 AM

the parent trap is an adaptation of german writer Erich Kästner’s “das doppelte Lottchen”.
    There is a wonderful movie from 1950 too. i can watch it again and again, even though there is a lot of bavarian/austrian nostalgia.

• Monroe July 31st, 2013 10:53 AM

I love these, especially the escape to witch mountain and olsen twins outfits!

• queserasera July 31st, 2013 4:00 PM

the grady girls fashion inspiration, ugh love love!

• Mary the freak July 31st, 2013 5:49 PM

aww this is so adorable! i am in love.

• AmberC July 31st, 2013 6:14 PM

This is so cute, wish I had a twin!

• barbroxursox August 1st, 2013 12:47 AM

Wow, these looks are all so perfect and wearable! My favorites are the first two! I have no twin or any siblings at all, for that matter :(, but I’d love to wear these!

• China August 1st, 2013 2:01 PM

Sharon’s black dress with lace Peter Pan collar is super gorgeous! I wish I had one.

• Susie N-W August 2nd, 2013 9:47 AM

I would not trust the website linked to for the blue Grady Twins dress. Romwe is very hit-or-miss, and I would guess that they are trying various website names to reach more customers and escape their bad reviews.

When buying online from stores you don’t know:
    -Read reviews
    -Avoid sites that have many names (similar sites with different urls)
    -Check for stolen images using a reverse image search
    -Use extra caution if the site is based in China
    -Keep in mind that sites selling a huge amount of items probably use more than one manufacturer, so quality can be hit-or-miss, which accounts for variety in reviews
    -And never ever buy from Milanoo.

• Anaheed August 2nd, 2013 12:53 PM

Hey Susie, this is a really great comment. I’m gonna look into that store and I’ll remove the link if it seems shady. Thank you!