Everything else

Saturday Links: The Taylor Swift Twitter Parody Edition

Tweets that are happy, free, confused, and oppressed by the patriarchy at the same time.

Suzy X.
fem_tay_swift

The new, totally unauthorized parody Twitter account Feminist Taylor Swift (which definitely was inspired by Danielle’s hilarious Feminist Ryan Gosling Tumblr) is here to help us feel just a li’l less guilty about singing along to Swift lyrics like, “She’s better known for the things that she does on the mattress,” by topping them off with, “But any man doing the same things would be admired.” There’s nothing like some old-fashioned culture jamming.

Lena

New York state senators Jeff Klein, center, and Diane Savino, center right, with members of the Model Alliance.

This week, the New York state legislature unanimously passed a law that will give models under 18 the same protections that child actors and other performers already have under child labor laws. Yes! Among other things, it will bar employers from making young models work crazy hours on school nights (as in after midnight or without overnight breaks). The law also will require that any model younger than 16 have a chaperone, that tutors are provided when an underage model misses more than three days of school, and that at least a portion of the money child models earn be set aside for them in protected trusts (where untrustworthy managers and/or guardians can’t get to it). All good news! The only minor bummer is that the fashion press seems to keep implying that this law is a “problem” for the industry, particularly because it will make it harder for designers to hire models who are 15 or 14 for New York Fashion Week (a practice that is not uncommon). What will happen if they have to book—adults? To that, Sara Ziff of the Model Alliance, an advocacy group that pushed for the law, had the smartest reply I’ve read so far: “Designers are marketing their clothes to adults, so I think that would be appropriate.”

At Feministing, Lori Adelman gave props to a group of male student-athletes, from the elite Massachusetts prep school Phillips Andover, who wrote a letter to the editor of their school newspaper that endorsed the campus’s “feminist movement” and took responsibility for having “bonded over actions that marginalized and objectified women.” That particular problem, they also admitted, was theirs to fix: “It is time…to find new, constructive ways to bond and develop team camaraderie—not ones based on conquering dances and competitively targeting females, not by prodding teammates to ‘hook-up’ and teasing those who don’t.”

Tavi
eyeball_forlinks

Brainpickings is good every day, so I’ll just offer up three of my favorites from this week: a post on how our vision works, a 1973 interview with Maya Angelou, and some selected poems by Edna St. Vincent Millay that perfectly conjure up summer longing.

Dylan

grandmother_and_cat

And now, a CATURDAY link: The Japanese photographer Miyoko Ihara took the world’s sweetest series of photographs of her grandmother, Misao, and her grandmother’s very special different-eyed cat friend, Fukumaru. OK, so I know Demilked technically blogged about this a while ago, but the photographs are just so breathtakingly gorgeous I couldn’t not talk about them. To me, they’re snapshots of a fairytale life, the prettiest vision of happiness. I am in love with Misao and Fukumaru. ♦

• Chloe22 June 15th, 2013 12:18 PM

I think the majority of Taylor’s lyrics are feminist. I like how she actually delves into feelings and relationships instead of going ”I REALLY THINK YOUR HOT” or ”I HATE YOU!”. It’s very psychological. And it’s usually about a girl taking care of her situation. And then there’s just plain beautiful songs like ”Treacherous” ”The Best Day”
    ”A Place In This World” ”Never Grow Up”… AND, then there’s just the fun songs, like ”22”. There’s a Taylor song for anything, any day!

• soretudaaa June 18th, 2013 12:54 PM

not only dwelving into feelings and relationships isn’t necessarily feminist, but also going “I REALLY THINK YOU’RE HOT” or “I HATE YOU” isn’t necessarily anti-feminist.

• cole123 June 15th, 2013 12:59 PM

Love the pictures and that cat is really pretty!

• Pocket Cow June 15th, 2013 2:26 PM

This is about the fifth time Edna St. Vincent Millay has come up in my life! I love her so.

• KatGirl June 15th, 2013 2:28 PM

Love Feminist Taylor Swift and the cat photos! Good job to the Model Alliance and Phillips Andover :)

• Melissa @ WildFlowerChild June 15th, 2013 3:34 PM

I just saw the TSwift Feminist Twitter yesterday…I love it! Thanks for all the great links. x

Melissa

• alienbabe June 15th, 2013 4:17 PM

that’s so weird, I followed the taylor swift account yesterday too :o

• Montgomery June 15th, 2013 4:18 PM

You guys rock! I love the model alliance! I learned about them after I saw this documentary on child models on netflix. It was terrible and oh so sad, but they are so underrepresented, it’s sick! So yeah, thanks for talking about it Lena! <3

• hellorose June 15th, 2013 4:49 PM

I love those Millay poems! and the illustrations are rather wonderful too.
    This will always be my favourite of her poems though:

also farming cat! bath cat! cat kisses! I wish I still had my cats :(

• Sophie ❤ June 15th, 2013 5:28 PM

I ADORED THIS! Thanks, Rookie!

• ranran15 June 15th, 2013 5:49 PM

I’m so excited/glad/flailing that you guys covered my school’s feminist movement!! This is one of the most exciting moments of my life (I looked on rookie and found my school) I’m one of the leaders of the movement, and we’re doing a lot of feminist education/microagression stuff on our website (feminismisequality.com), with athlete culture, the hookup culture, the classroom dynamic, rape culture, women in comedy, and more and more and more. AUGHHH I STILL CAN’T BELIEVE IT.

• nationofdaydream June 15th, 2013 8:02 PM

i love the parody accounts on twitter now & the crazy celebrities <3

nationofdaydream & bookofcelebritytweets

• Princess Mononoke June 15th, 2013 9:43 PM

These were great links. It all makes me so happy, I think that the model alliance law is very important, I can’t believe that it wasn’t done sooner. Those photos are one of the cutest things I’ve ever seen, they have such a beautiful relationship.

• Mary the freak June 16th, 2013 7:36 AM

aww these grandma pictures make me happy, so cute!

• Eileen June 16th, 2013 4:25 PM

Love this xD

• ArmyOfRabbits June 17th, 2013 12:50 AM

Wow, as someone who is studying fashion, I am glad there’s a law to protect underage models. Personally, I would prefer to hire adults.

• thenoisythinker June 17th, 2013 2:54 AM

I love every single on of these! I adore the ‘grandma & her cat’s photos’. And the Taylor Swift parody tweets are hilarious!

thenoisythinker.blogspot.com

• Hayley G. June 17th, 2013 9:17 AM

Misao and Fukumaru’s relationship is one that I can only hope to achieve with my cat at that age. Absolutely love those photos!

• kristinabee June 17th, 2013 12:11 PM

Loving feminist Taylor Swift and those adorable pictures of Misao and Fukumaru.

• azultardis June 17th, 2013 8:19 PM

to be honest I never feel guilty for liking Taylor Swift and singing her songs… but okay