Everything else

Saturday Links: We Can’t Stop Listening to “We Can’t Stop” Edition

THE NEW MILEY CYRUS SONG! Plus: A Björk documentary by Björk, lots of Bikini Kill action, and the awesome Issa Rae.

Julianne

THE NEW MILEY CYRUS SONG! It sounds terrific! Her voice on the chorus is radiant and defiant, singing “We can’t stop! And we won’t stop!” over a buzzy beat by Mike Will Made It, the producer of some of the biggest party anthems of the past two years (Future’s “Turn On the Lights,” Rihanna’s “Pour It Up,” Ciara’s “Body Party,” et cetera). The lyrics set it up like something that could have happened to Miley’s “Party in the USA” character—a homesick girl who just left Nashville to follow her “dream” in Hollywood—a few years after getting full-bore sucked into the Los Angeles underbelly. That includes house parties that end at dawn (“red cups and sweaty bodies everywhere”), adult dancing (“shaking it like we at a strip club”), and drugs (“trying to get a line in the bathroom”).

I like the implication of freedom in the song, like when she sings “only God can judge us,” “we don’t take nothing from nobody,” and “we can kiss who we want” (the last of which seems to be a shoutout to LGBTQ homies). It’s definitely Miley asserting her bad-girlishness and breaking out of the Hannah Montana purity ring. In those ways, it’s really liberating—no woman should be expected by the public (i.e., complete strangers) to be as perfect as Miley was supposed to be. But there’s still a lot to unpack in there, and that’s why I’ve listened to it about 675 times already!

Kendra

While searching for my daily dose of documentaries, I stumbled across this one about Björk by Björk that was originally released in 2003 but uploaded to YouTube earlier this week. Björk is one of my biggest inspirations, and this beautiful little film offers a glimpse into her head. You see her artistic process and how much the natural world has influenced her unearthly music. And after watching it, you might just feel compelled to run away to a surreal forest or iceberg.

Anaheed

KathleenKillMe

Lots of Bikini Kill action this week! The OG Riot Grrrl band put out a capsule collection with VFiles, and the Feminist Press released The Riot Grrrl Collection, a book that reproduces some of the original zines and posters from the ’80s and ’90s and includes an essay by Le Tigre’s Johanna Fateman. (On June 18 at 7 PM Kathleen Hanna, Johanna, and the book’s editor, Lisa Darms, are doing a reading at the bookstore Bluestockings in NYC. LET’S ALL GO.) Kathleen talked about all this stuff (and gave some preesh to Grimes) on Teen Vogue.

Have you all been watching Awkward Black Girl? So funny, so so good. Amanda de Cadenet posted her interview with its creator, Issa Rae, last Saturday. There’s a point where Issa describes a meeting she had with a “nonblack [TV] executive” who told her that people won’t watch a show about black people unless there’s a celebrity in the lead role. “I don’t think that executives right now, the people in charge, think that people of color—and black people especially—are relatable,” she says, “They’re ‘not mainstream enough’…black turns people off.” So she kept her stuff on the internet and now ABG has more than a million viewers and is being developed into a movie—and Issa’s working on a show for television with the incredible Shonda Rhimes. HA-ha, dumb TV executive(s). Here’s the vid:

Rose

My two obsessions are Ancient Egypt and underwater exploration. So when I read about the discovery of the long-lost Egyptian city of Thonis-Heracleion at the bottom of the Mediterranean Sea, at first I wasn’t sure if it was real life or just my fantasy. Well, it’s 100 percent true, and there’s proof: Archaeologists have been documenting their scuba-enabled digs of the site, which has been submerged for more than a thousand years. As if their photos weren’t mindblowing enough on their own, there’s also this video of what it’s like to swim above the sleeping ruins:

Lena

This video, which made its way around the internet this week, of a Russian boy in a club dancing like he’s the Great Spirit of Fun Times, raises a few questions: Can children really go to nightclubs in Russia? Did this kid learn how to dance from his parents? Speaking of his parents: WHERE ARE THEY? And finally, why can’t I just be him?

David Bowie and Queen’s “Under Pressure” has been one of my favorite songs since I got Classic Queen for Christmas when I was 12. The very existence of this totally bare-bones a cappella version—the exact OPPOSITE of the completely over-the-top original of “Under Pressure”—is its own kind of gift. It made me cringe a little (like from the first moment they blurt out “Pressure!”) but also get misty eyed (like when David sings backup ahhh ahhhhs to Freddie Mercury’s first big solo). ♦

• KatGirl June 8th, 2013 12:31 PM

I NEED THE RIOT GRRRL BOOK

• Margharet June 8th, 2013 12:55 PM

Yeah I read on openculture that the under pressure vocals were just them improvising in separate booths, which is really cool because that song is genius.

• ernest June 8th, 2013 1:02 PM

This is entirely unrelated, but blowing my mind right now. This lady is so important.
    J.K. Rowling on her female characters:

• Nashipae June 8th, 2013 3:24 PM

Thank you, that’s interesting: so far I’ve seen only some minutes but I have always wondered what was her opinion on that (as an harry potter lover, but also as a girl disturbed by some of her choices).

• Abby June 8th, 2013 4:49 PM

Thank you for posting this… I just watched the whole thing and it was awesome.

• modaboutyouu June 9th, 2013 5:41 PM

this was wonderful. thank you so much for sharing!

• dreamygirl June 8th, 2013 1:02 PM

OH MY GOD I’ve already read the riot grrrl book because I was @ the NYU bookstore and they had it BUT ANAHEED I’M GOING TO GO AND MEETING KATHLEEN HANNA WHAT

• GlitterKitty June 8th, 2013 2:10 PM

That underwater Egyptian city is the coolest thing I have ever seen. It’s awesome that it’s so well preserved. And that little Russian kid is just too much. How did he even get into a nightclub?? He’s like 7.

• Mags June 8th, 2013 2:16 PM

omg David Bowie and Freddy Mercury’s voices!!!! <3 <3 <3 AMAZING!!!!!!

• mondegreen June 8th, 2013 3:08 PM

Is it me or does the Teen Vogue link not work? The only thing I get to see on their website is a headline, not an article about Kathleen Hanna :’(

• whyamidreamingwhenimstillawake June 12th, 2013 11:03 PM

Nooe it worked for me. Maybe try going on to the website and searching Kathleen Hanna?

• glitter riot June 8th, 2013 3:14 PM

I love everything in this post! I’m usually not really into ‘mainstream’ pop music, but I really love Miley’s New album. It sounds unique while still being super catchy and poppy. I love her! And I’m super excited to read that riot grrrl book, don’t even get me started on the awesomeness of the underground city…..

• HollinsCollins June 8th, 2013 3:24 PM

Omg that lil dancin kid is too cool!!! And I love the scuba video.

• Sophie ❤ June 8th, 2013 4:10 PM

This was awesome, thanks SO much, Rookie!!!

• ellestolemyname June 8th, 2013 4:16 PM

finally! i know that a lot of teenage girls love bowie, but barely anyone my age loves queen, and that acapella version shows how good some people are without autotune!

• Ella W June 8th, 2013 5:44 PM

I ADORE Queen! I know all the words to all the songs, and I loved them long before I loved Bowie. Their Greatest Hits CD is the best running music!

• Nicole June 10th, 2013 2:49 PM

i’m 16 and Queen is my favorite band in the WORLD ok, and trust me there is a secret niche of teen girl Queen fans on tumblr. but it’s the kind who write slash fiction about them so i don’t exactly view that as a positive thing

• Abby June 8th, 2013 4:22 PM

THAT RUSSIAN KID IS THE BEST PERSON IN THE UNIVERSE. I MEAN JUST LOOK AT HIM. HIS DANCE MOVES. HIS GLASSES. HE’S PERFECT.

• 23reasonstosmile June 8th, 2013 4:58 PM

The Björk video is not available in my country. Sadness :(

• Toni June 8th, 2013 5:05 PM

I love the article section on Miley as she is certinaly a guilty music pleasure of mine and you wrote about exactly my views and thoughts

• Tyknos93 June 8th, 2013 5:27 PM

aww man that kid is too cool.

• flowerchild49 June 8th, 2013 5:32 PM

these links were okay

• soviet_kitsch June 8th, 2013 7:36 PM

i <3 amanda de cadenet and i am eternally jealous she got to marry nick valensi

• SkillzBeat June 8th, 2013 10:38 PM

Ahh, I love Bjork! Just discovering her music, but I’m already obsessed! Thank youuuuuu!

And I’m in love with Under Pressure a-capella. Thanks for sharing this!

• claudiathemermaid June 8th, 2013 11:49 PM

<3 My love for Bjork is eternal <3

• Janelle June 9th, 2013 2:26 AM

Pretty sure the Bjork documentary just changed my life. I had no idea I liked her work so much. But I seriously sat down and did not move for the duration of that documentary.

Also, Miley Cyrus+new music=happiness.

This week’s Saturday links are pure magic. Thank you Rookie.

• izzybee June 9th, 2013 6:49 AM

all these links are so perfect! I’m loving mileys new song and I can’t wait to get The Riot Grrrl Collection

• Tara A. June 9th, 2013 8:07 AM

This week’s Saturday links might just be my favourite ever. The underwater city! Wow! It’s so beautiful and amazing. I wish I could go there.

• izi June 9th, 2013 11:16 AM

that russian kid is the best thing to ever happen to me

• Pelin June 9th, 2013 12:25 PM

I really love all these links, (especially the Björk documentary!) but I was also quite looking forward to a mention of the huge protests going on in Turkey, my home country. It is a huge development, with thousands of people from every belief system, age group, ethnic origin, sexual orientation etc. in the streets standing up peacefully (mostly) to police brutality and an increasingly authoritarian prime minister. To anyone who is interested, there are amazing photos on this tumblr: occupygezipics.tumblr.com and a 7-minute video summarising the events of the last two weeks here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=59XPBtofVGA#!
    Also, I found a video of a Turkish college student who explains quite eloquently the situation in Turkey since Erdogan, the prime minister, has been in power: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEapNRakzDI
    I just wanted to raise awareness by posting this because it’s a matter that means a lot to me, I hope you understand. :)

• Jeanne June 9th, 2013 4:16 PM

Thanks for sharing!!

• Logoptimus Prime June 9th, 2013 4:35 PM

What proud parents that Russian child must have. Anyone who can move like that at age 9 is destined for greatness.

• unefillecommetoi June 9th, 2013 7:27 PM

akward black girl is the best!!! i’d never watched it and i’m hooked.

• alienbabe June 9th, 2013 10:20 PM

The video of the egyptian statue is so eerie and beautiful.

• Eileen June 10th, 2013 12:11 PM

Something though the people of rookie would like- this blog. The author reminds me of Stephanie Mayer..