Everything else

Saturday Links: Dress Alike Edition

Matching outfits with your significant other is cool, Patrick Stewart is actually the best person, and other essential life truths revealed online this week.

Krista

donald_and_nancy

This adorable couple has been dressing in matching outfits for 35 years. Now, I know that sounds CREEPY AS ALL GET-OUT, but really: Read this interview—and just look at this AMAZING GALAXY PRINT! These two keep getting better. Not only is their twin-dressing incredibly sweet, but in the article the wife keeps really casually dropping GEMS, such as the fact that her husband was the inventor of plastic lawn flamingos (WOW), and that he proposed ON THEIR FIRST DATE (!!!). She also has lots to say about being confident and feeling secure with yourself. I love them, I really do.

Arabelle

Patrick Stewart has been in the news a lot lately (most recently because of PIZZAGATE), and I think it’s super well deserved because he’s so cute. In this video of a talk he gave at Comicpalooza in Texas, he answers a super vulnerable, important question from a young woman in the audience named Heather. She says that a speech he made condemning violence against women helped her, and then asks what he’s done in his life that he’s most proud of that isn’t related to acting. “You have very beautifully linked the important things together,” he says, adding that he’s proud of working to fight domestic violence, partly because of experiences he had in his own childhood. “I do what I do in my mother’s name, because I couldn’t help her then. Now I can.” At the end, they hug. I wish I could hug him forever.

Tavi

gatsby_notouching

As you probably already know, whether you were ever interested or not, Arrested Development season four premiered on Sunday! Naturally, Buzzfeed had a plethora of wonderful ADs4-related content to peruse in reflection: the best jokes from the new season, an AD/The Great Gatsby mashup (example above), and why everyone hating on the new season needs to calm down (seriously guys, COME ON).

Gabby

doug_teacher

As a lover of classic Nicktoons AND tell-all books, I am so psyched for Slimed! An Oral History of Nickelodeon’s Golden Age, comingcome out in September. Until then, Hanna White over at BITCH wrote this teaser about how the network was one of the first kids’ cable channels to have racial diversity on its shows. (It turns out it’s no coincidence that most of the characters on Doug had skin colors to match the rainbow.)

Anaheed

Rookie bestie Joss Whedon gave the commencement speech at his alma mater, Wesleyan University, last Sunday, and it delivered just as many chills as you would expect from the guy who wrote this other speech. It starts with a bang—“YOU ARE ALL GOING TO DIE”—and just gets better from there, somehow making a nuanced, subtle plea for nuance and subtlety and doubt and ambiguity feel as rousing as a power ballad. “You do not pass through this life, it passes through you,” he says. “You will be the broken world and the act of changing it.” NO FAIR FORCING ME TO FEEL FEELINGS, DUDE. Watch the whole thing here:

Lena

Katie Stelmanis of Austra

Katie Stelmanis of Austra

There are two things I’ve been looking forward to most about June: the opening of my city’s swimming pools and the new record from Austra, which comes out on the 17th or 18th (depending on where you live). On Thursday, the band released a single called “Painful Like” that is so bright and disco-y. It makes me dance like a crazy person. I basically haven’t stopped listening to it for 48 hours. Then I read on their record label’s website that the lyrics are about the “disillusionment of growing up gay in a small town and finding solace in the arms of a lover,” and it got even BETTER.

catpuccinos

And BEHOLD these cappuccinos—I mean CATpuccinos—by coffee artiste Kazuki Yamamoto, over at Hyperallergic! ♦

• spudzine June 1st, 2013 12:09 PM

OMG okay the outfit-matching couple are SO CUTE. I mean it seems like true love to me :)
    And CATPPACINOS ARE THE ONLY CAPPUCINOS. That is all.

• flapperhatgirl June 1st, 2013 12:19 PM

I want to meet that matching-outfit couple just so I can tell them how amazing they are.

• flocha June 1st, 2013 12:38 PM

I want that matching couple to be my grandparents

• Abby June 1st, 2013 2:56 PM

I WAS THINKING THE EXACT SAME THING. They are perfect. I can’t.

• Melissa @ WildFlowerChild June 1st, 2013 1:11 PM

I just saw that adorable couple in the first link this morning! I love their outfits. Also, can’t wait for classic Nick to make a comeback. x

Melissa
    wildflwrchild.blogspot.com
    giveaway on my blog! x

• Elizabete June 1st, 2013 2:18 PM

THANK YOU, THANK YOU for introducing me to Austra!
    I knew it has something to do with Latvia because of the name Austra-ligth goddess and, yeees, Katie is LATVIAN-Canadian!!! And queer too! So awesome.
    I wish I lived in Canada too…

• N.Arie June 1st, 2013 2:52 PM

Love this week’s Saturday Links! Patrick Stewart’s speech on domestic violence and the commencement speech by Joss Whedon was just beyond words, they both really hit home. And don’t get me started on the matching couple!

xoox

• harriet.the.unicorn June 1st, 2013 3:18 PM

Read about the matching couple in the guardian the other week and I thought it was so cute<3

• loonylizzy June 1st, 2013 4:14 PM

HOLY CRAP FLAMINGOS AHHH THESE PEOPLE ARE MY NEW HEROS
    also, patrick stewart is my favorite :)

this made my day!!!

• sophiethewitch June 1st, 2013 5:49 PM

The matching outfit thing is kind of cute, except:

“If you want to do things by yourself, why get married? Why have separate hobbies? ”

WTF?

• damdayy June 1st, 2013 5:56 PM

I encourage you guys to google the protests in Turkey. I know each Rookie reader at least aims to be a global citizen, the force used by the police against protesters and the complete ignorance of all local news channels is inconceivable. Human rights are defied.

• myy June 1st, 2013 8:46 PM

That couple made my day! They are so cute!!!!

• kelsey June 2nd, 2013 12:14 AM

Thanks a lot, Arabelle. I NEVER cry and I HATE crying and your ol’ video made me cry a teensy bit. Yeesh.

• culturealt June 2nd, 2013 1:38 AM

I’m super stoked for the Slimed! book to come out!
    However, I do think it’s ironic that the photo used to detail the blurb regarding a book about the golden age of Nickelodeon is from “Disney’s Doug.”

• Lena June 2nd, 2013 9:32 AM

That is ironic, and wasn’t intentional. Thanks for notifying us of the mistake!

• Divya Menon June 2nd, 2013 4:10 AM

Hey! the kitty cappuccinos are so adorable! :O
    I did a DIY post on latte art yesterday! You can see it here if you like http://www.simplechunk.wordpress.com

Salute to Patrick Stewart for saying those balmy words.

• ArmyOfRabbits June 2nd, 2013 4:51 AM

Yeah, this is why I like Star Trek: The Next Generation. Oh, and Deep Space 9 as well. These series feel so homely and progressive.

• elliecp June 2nd, 2013 1:10 PM

This post has made me want to drink catpucchinos with my non existent significant other whilst wearing matching clothes. <3

• snow white June 2nd, 2013 3:58 PM

Love the new season of Arrested Development! And that Great Gatsby mash up is genius!

hhehhhe if only every significant other was willing to match outfits as well!

Hey rookie readers! I started a blog with hand illustrating disney princesses but with a twist. The twist is that if they were be modern day fashion bloggers! I stayed true to their personalities and style. I just finished Sleeping Beauty and I am going in order from when they films were made! I hope you guys appreciate it :)

• sissiLOL June 3rd, 2013 10:44 AM

Lena! All things by her are beautiful!
    feminismfreestyle.blogspot.de

• Lori June 3rd, 2013 11:47 AM

This is sort of unrelated to the post, but I just wanted to ask about a submission I sent in. I didn’t get an automated reply, so I was worried I didn’t actually send it to the right address. I didn’t use the email link on the submission info page, so maybe it didn’t send properly. I thought I should ask instead first before sending another email. Thanks :)

• Phoebe June 3rd, 2013 11:55 AM

The email is submissions@rookiemag.com, and don’t be concerned if we haven’t responded yet. We’re sorry, but the staff is tiny, so it takes us a long time to sort through the inbox and get back to people. Thank you for your patience!

• Lori June 3rd, 2013 11:59 AM

No problem, I understand. Thanks :)

• alienbabe June 4th, 2013 7:13 AM

the old couple who dress alike might just be the cutest thing ever.

• September 24th, 2013 4:18 PM

Hi! I realize this is somewhat off-topic however I needed to ask. Does building a well-established website such as yours require a large amount of work? I’m brand new to blogging but I do write in my diary every day. I’d like to start a blog so I can share my own experience and feelings online. Please let me know if you have any kind of suggestions or tips for brand new aspiring bloggers. Thankyou!