Music

Please Don’t Go Girl

The wisdom of the boy-band superfan.

Illustration by Sonja

Illustration by Sonja.

I was 12 the first time I saw New Kids on the Block. It was a Saturday morning, and MTV played the video for their single, “Please Don’t Go Girl,” which depicted the band’s five extra-cute members singing on a warehouse soundstage and running around Coney Island. The song was a sweet ballad begging a girl to never leave (in my innocence I interpreted this as wanting to be her best friend forever), and Joey McIntyre sang the solos in his angelic falsetto. Joey was the group’s youngest member, and therefore closest to my age. I was immediately taken by his piercing blue eyes. Oh, and that VOICE. He and the rest of NKOTB wanted to be best friends with their girlfriends forever! HOW GREAT IS THAT?

It wasn’t long before I bought every single unauthorized band biography available and plastered my bedroom with photos of Joey and, later, of NKOTB’s bad boy Donnie Wahlberg (a hip-hop aficionado whose Public Enemy tees, appreciation of Malcolm X, and lopsided/goateed smile were like tiny flames that ignited my burgeoning hormones). My mom thought I was a maniac, but as a fellow music fan, she let me spend my allowance on all the memorabilia I could afford. (It didn’t hurt that she thought the New Kids were super cute, too.)

Maybe you remember the moment you fell in love with One Direction/the Jonas Brothers/B2K/112/’N Sync/the Backstreet Boys/Take That/Boyz II Men/Hanson/New Edition/LFO/Menudo/the Monkees/the Jackson 5. Maybe it was love at first sight, maybe it wasn’t. But it’s likely that your extremely dedicated fandom—the desire to buy every album and collect every magazine that featured the objects of your devotion—developed over time, like a crush. You scoured websites and magazines to gather every bit of information possible on your fave boy banders—their favorite colors, their religions, what they look for in their dates/mates—and you still linger on EVERY WORD of EVERY QUOTE. People who don’t understand the process of crushing on someone you haven’t met and will never meet might look at this as weird or antisocial, possibly even stalker-ish, behavior. But those of us who have been there know better: It can be a very useful way to figure out how you feel about dating, love, and sex before you’re even want to consider it in real life.

Ever since the Beatles busted through the charts in the early 1960s—and Beatlemaniacs went into full-on frenzied adoration for the mop-headed ones—there has been a pervasive image of boy-band obsessives as screaming, bawling, howling, and otherwise crazed freaks. But the truth is that the tone of mocking condescension that most “civilians” take toward fans of boy bands is completely missing the point. This kind of fandom, especially during your teen years, can be an important part of a person’s sexual revelation and identity-building—two things that also happen to be among the most complex things about growing up.

Our first sexual feelings can be terrifying. (To paraphrase Beyoncé: They are more powerful than our minds can even digest.) It’s one thing for your mom or your health teacher to give you a totally clinical birds-and-the-bees talk, and another thing entirely to actually experience sexual desire and know what to do with it. Attaching your affections to someone like Joey or Donnie or Harry or Zayn or Cody or Siva is a safe way to explore those impulses without having to face them on an IRL person-to-person level before we’re ready.* In that sense, boy-band fandom is, at its core, much more about us than it is about the boys. We are the subjects, and they are the objects in our fantasies, many of which involve our imagined relationships with them. (I, for one, spent hours upon hours planning my future dates with Donnie, picturing myself, wind in my hair, riding in the passenger seat of his SUV—the two of us an early-’90s Bonnie and Clyde.) From a fan’s-length distance, these safely unattainable fantasies can start to teach us about what kind of person we might like to date, and sometimes even how we’d like that person to treat us. The way I felt when I saw that first NKOTB video foreshadowed similar feelings I’d have a few years later about my first love.

As the New Kids got older, so did I (my pubescence dovetailed with Joey McIntyre’s emergence as a fleet-footed, 17-year-old megababe who looked great in a tuxedo with tails). By the time I was 14, I knew that the band was put together by a svengali named Maurice Starr. I also still believed they had real talent and charisma. At the same time, the friends I’d started hanging out with were the “kids on the hill”—the people at my school who dressed in all black, smoked cigarettes, and listened to the Cure. I identified with their semigoth “alternative” subculture, and I truly loved and listened to darker nonpop music, from Joy Division to the aforementioned Public Enemy. But listening to New Kids, which I did on a pretty regular basis, was a connection to all the positive, safe kid-feelings I was afraid to abandon.

I felt like I had to hide my NKOTB love from my cooler acquaintances, and scurried away all evidence when anyone but my closest friends came over to my mom’s house—an effort that came to a dramatic head when I was 15 and the 17-year-old boy I was seeing opened the door to my bedroom and saw that it was plastered with NKOTB photos, up to and including an almost-life-sized cardboard cut-out of the group. His jaw dropped, and he started cackling. I was humiliated.

A common complaint from non-boy-banders about boy bands is that they aren’t “cool” enough. They’re manufactured, their music is canned, they have no talent, and they’re robots; their music is “not serious” compared to whatever “artier” music these critics happen to listen to. (Is it a coincidence that so many things that are widely enjoyed by women and gay men—boy bands, fashion, musical theater—are written off as not “serious?” No, it is not.) But if part of what music is trying to do is communicate, to touch people’s minds and emotions through shared experiences, then how can you argue with millions of fans? There is a persistent and very wrong assumption that music meant for lots of people is naturally terrible music. That’s just exclusion for exclusion’s sake! I have been a music critic for about 150 years (well, 14 anyway) and I can tell you that every single boy band—including New Kids on the Block—has got jams.

That boy I was dating at 15 turned out to be a total jerk—he pressured me for sex way before I was ready to have it, and then dumped me when I wouldn’t. I had heard that’s how dudes could be, so I wasn’t surprised. But it was the day he busted into my room and laughed at my posters that taught me something really important: I figured out that my relationship to boys, whether they were in my life or in world-famous boy bands, did not define my identity, even if—especially if—I was interested in them romantically. Boys’ opinions of what I did, or what I liked, or who I was had no bearing on who I wanted to be. And most important, I wanted—I deserved—a boy who would regard me as highly as the New Kids seemed to value the girls in their songs. No ifs, ands, or buts. After we broke up, I found refuge from this “cool” a-hole in the imaginary arms of NKOTB songs like “Baby, I Believe in You,” which was about trusting your girlfriend wholeheartedly and loving her no matter what.

Over time, I learned that these kinds of fantasies are, at their best, a little schmaltzy and, at their worst, totally gender essentialist. But they helped teach me about respect in relationships. And even if the lyrics of these boy bands’ songs are sometimes questionable—”What Makes You Beautiful,” for instance, is a sort of paen to insecurity—I can attest that it’s still possible to enjoy them as a feminist. Fandom is, after all, about you – what you like, what you identify with, what happens in your imagination. Your fantasy relationship with Harry Styles is something you made up; you have all the control in this relationship. He’s a mirage, a product of your own mind. You can make him whatever you want him to be. ♦

* I am writing this from a straight cis woman’s perspective; but I imagine that boys’ crushes on boy bands, and girl’s crushes on, like, Kristen Stewart, work in a similar way.

• whatever June 20th, 2013 3:04 PM

asdfghj yes yes yes yes this article omg <3 i will never stop loving the jonas bros ok
    the artwork is also amazing

• Maryse89 June 20th, 2013 3:14 PM

ahahahaha I feel like this is written straight to MY SOUL

when I was young, I never liked boy bands (I was allllll about some Spice Girls and early Destiny’s Child though!), but now I’m about to turn 24 and I can’t stop fangirling about KPOP boy bands, some of whose members are like, 16 years old

and normally I only listen to ‘good’ music (whatever that means), but sometimes it’s nice to watch pretty boys do choreographed dances to catchy tunes, you know?

it also helps me escape from the stress that is my new ‘grown-up’ life…

• Pristinaa June 20th, 2013 4:23 PM

I got you girl !!

I used to love spice girls and Sclub 7 now I discovered Kpop world and I love shinee, suju, B1A4, Lunafly and all this boy bands with some members younger than me … hahahahaha
      I’m just 23 years old and they make me feel old lol

• Maryse89 June 20th, 2013 6:09 PM

Oh lord yes shinee is a big problem for me…mostly because taemin is my favorite and he’s like…12

• jedarq93 June 20th, 2013 6:56 PM

Same here, sometimes it feels like a guilty pleasure, ’cause most of my friends hate kpop, without even experience with that music, so i feel like limited in that way, i can’t share my joy :c i don’t think i’m getting over this fever in a long time, perhaps forever, the boys are just too good to forget *sobbing* and also, he’s like 20 nowadays…
          cool post, pop as other genres has some good imputs to music.

• Maryse89 June 20th, 2013 10:16 PM

oh word, I thought he was only 19…either way legal is legal haha
          and I don’t believe in guilty pleasures! Like this article proves that if you find a type of music enjoyable and relevant to your life, it can’t be “bad”!!!

• inward_fangirl June 20th, 2013 9:25 PM

HOLLA. I’m 34 and I love them all – plus EXO, VIXX, B.A.P, Block B, Infinite and 4,000 other kpops <3

• umi June 20th, 2013 9:47 PM

exo makes me cry on a daily basis

• Maryse89 June 20th, 2013 10:13 PM

oh wow I feel like I accidentally turned this into a huge KPOP thread party haha

But yeah Block B Infinite BAP wow you have great boyband taste! :)))

• littledeerling June 21st, 2013 3:31 PM

This thread is excellent, I’ve somehow accidentally come to like all of the boy groups that start with B’s (B.A.P, Block B, B1A4)

• hellorose June 20th, 2013 4:54 PM

YES! I’m 23 as well and I think that when the Spice Girls got huge we were exactly the age where boy bands were still really gross. I remember getting a poster from Smash Hits magazine or something that had the Spice Girls on one side and Peter Andre topless under a waterfall on the back and there was not even a tiny bit of me that wanted to turn over and look at Peter Andre’s pecs. Then by the time we were 12-14 all the big boy bands of the 90s were splitting up.

• Maryse89 June 20th, 2013 6:11 PM

yeah i was definitely still in my ‘boys are icky’ stage when all those 90s boy bands were popular…plus it was so much more fun to like the spice girls because you could pretend to be them at recess!

• KatGirl June 20th, 2013 5:42 PM

YES. KPOP IS AWESOME.

• Maryse89 June 20th, 2013 6:18 PM

KPOP fans on Rookie are awesome!!! makes me feel less alone in the world! (since all of my friends make fun of me for liking it)

• inward_fangirl June 20th, 2013 9:26 PM

KPOP FANS ON ROOKIEEEEEEE!!!! *SQUEE* I need to follow you on Twitter right now!

• Maryse89 June 20th, 2013 10:09 PM

wow thanks! I don’t have a twitter but I do have a tumblr… monika-young.tumblr
          (I post only about 20% kpop though)!

• inward_fangirl June 20th, 2013 10:23 PM

Added you on tumblr! I’m inwardfangirling.tumblr.com! :D

• Miarele June 21st, 2013 10:21 AM

GURL. I’m sure all the others have illustrated this perfectly but still it has to be said:
      KPOP IN ROOKIE OMG ASDJKADFHKADHJHGFJHAD !!!!!!!111111

Ahem. Okay. So much FEELS for KPOP tho. They have stole my life. And I agree so much it is full of jailbaits and everything. Seriously, I keep getting older and members of rookie groups are getting much much younger WHYYYY DDDDDDDD:

• Maryse89 June 21st, 2013 9:35 PM

I think there’s a rookie boy group debuting right now with a member who was born post-2000 (don’t remember their name???). I saw that on my screen, and was like NOPE SHUT IT DOWN, and turned off my computer for the day haha

• Abby June 20th, 2013 3:20 PM

I LOVE YOU AND I LOVE THIS IT’S AMAZING. I like to pretend that all the members of One Direction are staunch feminists :)

• alienbabe June 20th, 2013 3:24 PM

story of my life

• FlowerandtheVine June 20th, 2013 3:28 PM

This was a great analysis of the boy band culture. I personally crushed on The Monkees, even though it was the 90s. Mine was a lonely path :)

• Leira Zetroc June 20th, 2013 3:32 PM

I have literally been on a boy band kick for months! BACKSTREET BOYS FOR LIFE! I actually went to their 20th anniversary show back in April ;)

Oh, and JORDAN KNIGHT IS SO HOT!

• ellestolemyname June 20th, 2013 3:34 PM

I still am a bit of a closeted McFly fan tbh :)

• Abby June 20th, 2013 6:02 PM

DON’T BE CLOSETED MCFLY IS AMAZING. My friend at college introduced me to them (she’s been a fangirl since like forever) and they’re basically perfect. So there’s that.

• all-art-is-quite-useless June 21st, 2013 1:12 PM

get out of the closet, mcfly are fab! even though me and my girl friends are supposedly into cool “good” music, we sure can jam to mcfly…

• Whatsername June 20th, 2013 3:36 PM

Thank for adding the little asterisk at the bottom, that was completely necessary.
    Of course I trust Rookie of all places with defying heteronormativity. :D

• emmmasdilemmas June 20th, 2013 3:37 PM

This article was written for me. I’ve always been very into boy bands and I’ve always gotten made fun of for it, but I think it’s so much healthier than some of my friend’s relationships with real life boys.

• cybelesreverie June 20th, 2013 3:39 PM

Don’t forget the best mania- Lisztomania!

• Chloe22 June 20th, 2013 3:45 PM

You, or anyone else, will never realize how much this means TO ME!! omg!!!!!!!! Thank you, thank you,thank you so much! I find it disgusting that any music that commonly is liked by, as you said, women or anyone else considered ”dumb or lame”, is considered stupid. I adore One Direction, completely un-ironically and am not afraid to admit it. People always act like i’m some ditz. It seriously sucks!
    Also, I met Louis Tomlinson at the mall. He was really nice.
    BYE!!!!!

• daisycrown June 20th, 2013 4:26 PM

Same thing happens to me. lol
      I’ve always listened to a lot of ~pretentious~ stuff, but I also LOVE One Direction with every fiber of my being. Like seriously, who cares what someone likes. If pop music sounds good to their earholes, who cares?! It’s not any less valid than any other form of music, so that whole “pop music is dumb and less than other genres of music” thing never makes sense to me.

Also, SUPER jealous you met Louis! I went to their concert this past weekend and it was seriously one of the most fun experiences of my life.

• flapperhatgirl June 20th, 2013 4:03 PM

You know, I was thinking literally YESTERDAY, that rookie should have an article on boy bands.
    I’m actually not a fan of any boy bands, unless you count the Beatles, (and I don’t crush over them or anything, I just like the music, yaknow?) but I really enjoyed the article.

• elliecp June 20th, 2013 4:13 PM

I totally love this. had many a fantasy about blink-182 in my lifetime (all time favourite right there) and my heart will forever belong to pre-hiatus p!atd.
    BOYBANDS 4EVA <3

• elliecp June 20th, 2013 4:14 PM

also……does anyone remember busted?! Busted and McFly were my childhood jam <3

• hellorose June 20th, 2013 4:57 PM

My friend’s walls were plastered with photos of Busted and McFly (mainly McFly) and it used to creep me out so much when I had to change in there or stay over.

• daisycrown June 20th, 2013 4:29 PM

BOY BANDS POR VIDA!

• Piper Lynch June 20th, 2013 4:36 PM

Wow! I love this so much! It totally made me feel a gazillion times more confident about my boy band obsession that I’ve had for a couple of years now. I don’t think I want to break off the relationship between me and Harry Styles in my fan fiction yet… ;)

• barbroxursox June 20th, 2013 5:35 PM

The Beatles tho! They are literally perfect in every way (well, at least their music is) and I constantly fangirl over them because they are the greatest thing to ever happen to earth. Haha but this is a great article! I’ve always hated that someone isn’t supposed to really like indie music and pop music/boy bands at the same time. I mean, today I think it’s getting more acceptable to like both, but I hate that if you say to some ~cool~ friend that you like a certain pop bans it gives you less badass-ness… If that makes sense. I don’t fangirl over any pop bands of today, but I still listen to some of it, and it just annoys me when people think you’re a different person because of it.

• spudzine June 20th, 2013 5:46 PM

HARRY STYLES FTW.

Seriously tho, last summer i was OBSESSED with Harold Edward Styles, and I could not under any circumstance say that I didn’t love him.

• kendallakwia June 20th, 2013 5:57 PM

whhy would you use pics of 1d’s wax figures for the collage though
    i just don’t understand

• RadGranny June 21st, 2013 1:54 PM

ahaha I noticed that too!! like of all the pictures you used the wax figures to represent them?? and you can see wax Liam peeking out and it is rather frightening!!

• Melissa @ WildFlowerChild June 20th, 2013 6:06 PM

I was super obsessed with Backstreet Boys and N*SYNC growing up!!

Melissa

• roxy189 June 20th, 2013 6:16 PM

I loved this article, as I am a huge fan of The Monkees! Boy bands can still be artsy too, just listen to some of The Monkees later work.

• Sophie ❤ June 20th, 2013 7:05 PM

This was so AMAZING to read!!!! yes yes yes!

• Sheena.Crystal June 20th, 2013 9:50 PM

Love This!
    During my Teen Years it was Daniel Radcliffe (and the rest of the Harry Potter crew) and it’s great to know that those hours fantasizing about meeting and dating Mr. Radcliffe were not crazy at 16!!

I was lucky enough to catch him in Equus on Broadway yearssss back, and yep catch him in the nude! Legit he was the first guy i witnessed in the naked in person, and interesting enough my fandom for Radcliffle kinda closed its chapter after that.

Wasn’t anything of replusion, or over it but rather knowing that that person is truly a physical real human being that kinda put things into a more realistic perspective. I kinda get that way after i meet anyone i idolize, but rather than get disappointed i kinda accept this new approach/acceptance and its still cool.

Guess it comes with getting older, but heck i still carry celeb crushes. AHMMMM BIG BANG ! (Shouts to all the K-POP lovers ^^)

Keep Fantasizing and Props to Anyone whose ever been able to meet their Idols!

• Maryse89 June 20th, 2013 10:26 PM

nice shoutout :) I have embarrassingly huge crushes on big bang (well mostly just gd and top)

also I think oliver wood in the harry potter movies might have been my first ‘celebrity’ crush, sooo…I get it!

• inward_fangirl June 20th, 2013 10:32 PM

Bigbang was my gateway to kpop! <3 #gd #and #his #damn #hashtags

• Miarele June 21st, 2013 10:26 AM

OH HI FELLOW VIP HERE :’)

Big Bang is my first love in kpop too. It has been a mad spiraling descent from there and I wonder how’d I get here hahaha :D I didn’t regret it once tho, Big Bang held a concert, a fanmeeting, and a GD solo concert in my city only a few months apart, it’s like a fangirl’s wildest dream :DD

• littledeerling June 21st, 2013 3:42 PM

Big Bang was how I got into Kpop too! ugh T.O.P feels~ I’m pleasantly surprised with this kpop talk on rookie, never thought it would happen! What other groups do you like? :)

• umi June 21st, 2013 1:45 PM

yo big bang is MY LIFE you dont understand how much they mean to me

• Jules August 11th, 2013 11:33 AM

Fellow kpoopers on rookieee! Kyaa~~ SHINee was like my rotating array of crushes for 3 years…OMG lol

• umi June 20th, 2013 9:55 PM

kpop boy bands make me cry and make me hurt on a molecular level it’s not even fair how beautiful how all my bias groups are uGHHHH

• Maryse89 June 20th, 2013 10:06 PM

AHHHH I just saw your post about EXO above hahahaha I feel the same way about BigBang we can share this pain together

• umi June 21st, 2013 1:49 PM

big bang is my favorite group!! i get easily caught on rookie groups too,like exo and lc9.as much as i love exo and lc9,that love will never ever compare to my love for big bang

• inward_fangirl June 20th, 2013 10:30 PM

ARGGGGG <3 I want to add you on twitter or tumblr! Rookie + kpop is so rare!

• Flyer June 20th, 2013 10:56 PM

I super appreciate how the boys/men in the picture are grouped by hairstyle!

• Adrienne June 20th, 2013 11:19 PM

I’m not necessarily a fan of boy bands but holy crap I still obsess and fangirl over certain lead singers and guitarists!!! My biggest crush right now is on Vampire Weekend’s Ezra Koenig! <3

• Miarele June 21st, 2013 10:17 AM

YES. YES to the article and all the comments.

I love the part about being “cool”, sometimes I feel guilty about liking boy bands because there seems to be a mindset that liking obscure bands that other people never heard of made you cooler. And honestly sometimes I get these kind of vibes from Rookie too. But this article made me realize that it’s all about being brutally honest and embracing what you like, and in extend, Rookie is like that too.

Thank you for restoring my faith, Julianne. I love everything about this article, from the blatant references to addressing feminism issues. I think it’s amazing that you covered almost everything in such a short article. Thanks for writing this, you made my day. :)

• AidaA June 21st, 2013 1:25 PM

Beatles Beatles Beatles. The ultimate ultimate boy band. I guess you could call me a Beatlemaniac. It’s funny because I don’t really like boybands now and it makes me wonder if I would have been such a big Beatles fan if I was actually a teen in the ’60s.

-Aida

• Erin. June 21st, 2013 4:01 PM

I get what you mean. It’s funny, because I always thought I was weird for not liking boy bands, but the Beatles are like something different. They’re like…an inevitability of life. It’s not even that I lust for them, but I still can’t imagine what life would be like without them. But, yeah, I also wonder that, if I were a kid/teen in the 60s, would I have liked them? I’m not the type to get caught up in “hype” or in what’s popular, but the Beatles are excellent. They were good even when they first began recording. It’s undeniable. So it probably would’ve been like Harry Potter for me: at first I kept my distance, but when I saw the first movie I realized that it was made for me. ^_^

• cestlaviee June 21st, 2013 1:28 PM

ahhh mcfly is great! even though i don’t really consider them as a ‘boyband’ ha. i always say that i learn more about life and people from fandoms than i do from school and i stand by that. i’ve learned about the importance of privacy and friendship and i think being in a fandom is good for you in terms of feeling like you belong. in fandoms we all feel like we’re a family of sorts and it’s actually kind of comforting after a whole day of seeing people i don’t really get along with to sit back and watch a few videos of tom and danny singing or harry and dougie being oh so adorable.

• doyouknowdiddley June 21st, 2013 4:14 PM

I listen to Kpop boys and girls band all the time , I’m 23 and I don’t feel any shame.

• madame_addie June 21st, 2013 11:06 PM

hahahaha this is so great, seriously thank you Rookie!
    ps. I can’t believe you mentioned Menudo xD

• takebackyourpower June 21st, 2013 11:37 PM

BIG BANG (& Super JUNIOR) literally the best thing ever. and this is coming from a 30 year old woman.
    keepin it classy in Korea ;)

• takebackyourpower June 21st, 2013 11:39 PM

p.s. can we please talk about how they are masculinity rebels? okay, i am done.

• Maryse89 June 22nd, 2013 12:41 AM

um yes we can please talk about that! i could write a thesis about kpop and masculinity/femininity i swear

but yeah half the time gdragon is so annoying (he’s my bias, but he makes it hard sometimes ha), and the other half of the time I’m in awe like he’s channeling some real david bowie androgyny superstar vibes…

• Christina B June 22nd, 2013 10:08 AM

I can totally relate to this article. I remember that “Please don’t Go Girl” video and crushed on Joey and then Donnie. My room was also plastered with their photos..by the time I was 13 they were gone, but I now look fondly back on my NKOTB fandom.

I really like what you wrote about these fandoms being about what you may want in a boyfriend someday and what you want out of a relationship. I think that is totally true.

• MabelEnchanted June 22nd, 2013 11:02 AM

I have ‘celebrity boy crushes’ but my main ‘fangirling’ is to Taylor Swift. Recently I’ve felt that I need to let it go. It feels unhealthy. When someone is rude about her, it’s like they’re being rude to a part of me. I know, it’s crazy. I’m also sick of people seeing me as ‘the Taylor Swift one’. When I was fourteen, I loved it. Now I’m seventeen and started college I want people to know I like other music – Lana Del Rey, Laura Marling, The Smiths, The Beach Boys, Simon & Garfunkel etc.
    I never will let go of Taylor Swift because her music is still my favourite but I need to tone it down. This post has helped me realise that I don’t need to let her go.

• Graciexx June 23rd, 2013 6:06 AM

OMG, I love the Jackson 5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I’m so glad you included them :)

• daisy-by-marc June 24th, 2013 4:36 AM

this is amazing, beautiful and resonates with almost every part of me.

i totally get you girl.

ps, the artworks fab and now my background on my phone. xxx

• Julianne June 25th, 2013 12:57 AM

LAAAADIEEES! I should have included K-Pop, too, but I don’t know as much about those bands. BUT OMG I AM SO GLAD WE ARE ALL IN BOY BAND SOLIDARITY! Ezra Koenig counts too! <3 <3 <3

• inward_fangirl July 4th, 2013 2:59 AM

Oh my Julianne! I came back to this thread to check out if other Rookies were adding to the Kpop thread and saw your comment! Oh my gosh – I hope you DO find your “gateway” boyband into K-Pop because. It. Is. Fantastic. :D See you on the other side!

• Rushmore June 27th, 2013 5:12 PM

This made me think of the boy band episode of Bob’s Burgers. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Jq4IIZrHu8 Imma whisper in your eyes…