Dear Diary

June 19, 2013

Where do we go from here?

Ruby

It’s about midnight. My hair has somehow made its way out of its neat ponytail and formed a cloud of black string around my head. I push it behind my ears. The tent is glowing with light from a flashlight lantern. My friend Will is playing guitar quietly. Becca, the dark-haired girl who runs the open-mic nights at the synagogue, is singing softly. We’re camped out for Relay for Life, an overnight cancer-prevention fundraising event where people take turns walking around a track while everyone else hangs out in the tent, talking, eating, playing music, and occasionally dozing off.

The night is filled with background chatter and shadows dancing outside the tent. I tune in to the stillness in the tent, the steadiness of all of our breath, and the warmth of the flannel-lined sleeping bags on the cold grass. My eyes close and time speeds up around me. I can hear Kate and Ben talking and I think about how I love them. I realize that my best friend, Sam, is next to me. He is always next to me, when we are in our adjacent houses, or when we are walking on the beach down the street, or when we are sitting at the lunch table alone.

My head is in the crook of his shoulder and I can feel his pulse. It is slow and I realize he is asleep. Then I realize that I am too. I smile at how I can be in two places at once. I am in the real world and I am inside my head. Sam’s with me in both places.

Ben and Kate are smiling at each other. I love them both. An ambulance screams in the street behind the field and I hear people outside wonder aloud about it.

I fall into actual REM sleep eventually and do not dream. Suddenly it is two hours later; Sam wakes me up and pulls me out of the tent. It’s our turn to walk the track. ♦

1 2 3 4 5

• Sophie ❤ June 19th, 2013 7:07 PM

Naomi, Ruby, and Briteny: I so feel you guys (also Katherine)! It is amazing how you basically read the minds of Rookie readers ( even though the “send in your stuff” probably has a lot to do with it). Anyways, great job- these we’re really fun to read!

➡➡ http://plainlysophie.com

❤❤❤❤❤❤

• EmilyJn June 19th, 2013 7:30 PM

College is generally British for the last two years of school (also known as sixth form college) and not ‘high school’. Secondary school (ages 11 to 18) would be a close translation to high school I suppose, although in America that would include middle school. Sorry to be so pedantic! The terms used differ from school to school here so it’s difficult. Some places even use the american ‘high school’ wording’

Anyway, I thought finishing sixth form would be a huge relief too and I would get to do all these fun things and relax but then I got a sucky summer job cleaning dishes for 8 hours a day for minimum wage. :c

• MaddsBeMe June 19th, 2013 7:48 PM

Awww Naomi!!! I’m so happy for you.

Katherines diary this week is perfect, ” McFlurries are the only truth in the world” is now my life motto, plus 1 girl 5 gays is the best show ever, juan and dean and everyone and all the drama!! Uggh I cannot deal or explain my love for that show

• Tiger June 19th, 2013 7:58 PM

Britney, did prom happen arleady? how was it?

• Britney June 19th, 2013 8:14 PM

It’s tomorrow! I’ll tell you guys how it goes in the next entry!

• pubertyblues June 19th, 2013 8:11 PM

this was beautifully written, and very, very true. wish you and your boy the best of luck

• Unicorn Heels June 19th, 2013 8:11 PM

I hate talking about weight because of HOW PEOPLE TREAT IT.

For sailing weight is a big topic because it’s makes a difference in the game (No weight is beneficial, just different to sail). And it could be a healthy, regular topic. However, if you say you’re light for your boat, people always are like AWW YOU’RE SO LUCKY. No, it just means they have to work harder. If it were discussed in a better way, people could actually work on how it effects sailing. It’s actually pretty cool on a psychical level.

I wish people could talk about weight with more sense.

Also, I loved all of them. As always.

<3 Unicorn

• Conana June 19th, 2013 8:15 PM

Katherine’s diary is so funny!! “McFlurries are the only truth in the world” I think I’ll make a tee with that quote hahaha (no, srsly).

And I loved in Ruby’s diary when she talks about Sam!! I wish I felt that way about someone…

• Kourtney June 19th, 2013 8:18 PM

Katherine, I love you LOL. I believe McFlurries are the only truth too. And I LOOOVE 1 girl 5 gays omg Dean and David and Ish are so perfectt I love that show!

As I was reading Ruby’s diary, I noticed the background pic on the site, was the inside of a tent. I was pleased by the coincidence.

I love rookie

• Penny Dreadful June 19th, 2013 8:26 PM

Just thought I’d pop by and say that, not only are all of these entries fantastic, but Ruby: yours resonated the most with me because it puts in to words what I can’t about my best friend. It’s really a beautiful entry (as well as them all!).

• Eryn June 19th, 2013 8:41 PM

Naomi, your entry was so beautiful! Caitlin, I adore your illustration as always. Britney, Ruby and Katherine, I love you all! <3

• Rebdomine June 19th, 2013 11:40 PM

Ruby, I did Relay for Life as well! But ours happened in April lol.

• 3LL3NH June 20th, 2013 12:25 AM

Naomi, your last paragraph filled my head and made me almost cry. Your mind so often perfectly expresses my loves and hopes and fears.

Naomi and Ruby, I’m in a world between your two, and you make it feel so dreamlike, like the best there could be.

I guess I’m saying thank you.

• Madness June 20th, 2013 12:40 AM

Naomi,

“Where the myth fails, human love begins. Then we love a human being, not a dream, a human being with flaws.”

Only when we are vulnerable and transparent, can we begin to truly love.

• June 20th, 2013 7:28 AM

This is amazing guys!

• Chloe22 June 20th, 2013 10:15 AM

Here’s to hoping Liam Payne (my future husband, duh) doesn’t like weird wall paper.

• loonylizzy June 22nd, 2013 10:04 PM

totally relating to naomi right now :)

• barbroxursox June 23rd, 2013 4:28 PM

I love the illustration! ^__^

• midnightcall June 23rd, 2013 5:37 PM

Ruby’s entries are consistently my favorite! She writes so beautifully and in the moment.