Style

Learning the Face-ics: Melt-Proof Summer Makeup

“How to do an easy look that’s not just gonna like slide off of your zone and into the hot air.”

Summer is the best because it’s hot and there’s no school, but the worst for hairstyles, makeup, Frosty the Snowman, and anything else that totally dissolves in the heat. Lucky for us, Amy Rose has solutions for those first two things (sorry, Frosty). Here are her PRO TIPS for looking all dewy and cute while you’re basically melting in the heat.

Part One: Protect Your Hairzone

Part Two: Even Out Your Skinzone

Part Three: Lashes & Lips

Stuff Amy Rose used:
• Kiehl’s Color-Protect Shine Infusing Hair Oil Treatment ($25, Kiehls.com)
• Sebastian Professional Shaper Fierce Ultra Firm Finishing Hairspray ($14, Beautante)
• Smooth Operator Natural Tinted Moisturizer SPF 20 ($36, Ulta.com)
• Volum’ Express The Mega Plush Waterproof Mascara ($6, Ulta.com)
• Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain in Adore ($7.50, Target)
• Chap-Aid Lip Balm ($1.30, Walgreens) ♦

• Ella W June 25th, 2013 3:50 PM

Yay for facics!!! I haven’t watched it yet, but it’s sure to be great (love you Amy Rose!)

• Mary the freak June 25th, 2013 3:50 PM

yes yes yes thank you so much! <3

• Maggie June 25th, 2013 4:23 PM

What happens when you go swimming in makeup, like total face submersion? I know you can get waterproof eyeliner and stuff, but what about your basic face-wear like bb cream, etc?

Polling the group: when you get invited swimming, do you A) wash your makeup off and put waterproof sunscreen on, B) slap waterproof sunscreen OVER your makeup, or C) be totally cool and jump in without worrying about what’s on or not on your face???

• Ella W June 25th, 2013 6:08 PM

C

• Marian June 25th, 2013 6:17 PM

A

• julalondon June 26th, 2013 7:53 AM

A =)

• Majel June 26th, 2013 2:53 PM

A!
      (I just noticed I basically only go swimming with people who don’t care whether I’m wearing make up or not, anyway!)

• anyone June 25th, 2013 4:41 PM

First of all: Thaaank you for this! I am always really stressed when it’s summer because I’m a vampire (not really … well maybe…. I don’t like the sun, I’m very pale… whatever) and I sweat like… crazy!!
    I just wanted to add: USE SUNSCREEN! Like, seriously! I have this very nice sunscreen that I bought at the pharmacy. It’s very light and does not mess up your make-up and it’s for oily skin… AND of course SPF 50 (I wear it the whole year, every day. But that’s just crazy-me). You should really wear SPF 30 minimum on your face in the summer. And a foundation with SPF is not as good as a real sunscreen

Wow, I always get very emotional about sunscreen. Sorry… :D

• Isil June 25th, 2013 5:48 PM

Since you’re loving sunscreen, can you recommend any moisturizer with at least SPF 25 in it (and a one which is not so expensive)? I’m using a nivea one which has SPF 25 but it’s making me sweat all the time. Even if the weather is not too hot. My whole body stays calm but my face sweats. It’s weird. That’s why I don’t like putting these products on my face but I have to (to protect my skin), so I do it everyday. But if anyone recommends some product I will appreciate. I have combination skin, by the way.

• anyone June 29th, 2013 9:33 AM

I only have tried one and it’s the Avene “Very high protection emulsion”.. It’s SPF 50 and for normal to combination skin. I never had any problems with it and I use it every day under my make up. It’s not really cheap… I can’t really remember how much exactly. I bought it at a pharmacy and I’m pretty sure it was around 10 € (which I think is not that much for a sunscreen AND moisturizer that is not thicke or oily)…
        I will try some cheaper ones when I finish this tube.

• Sophie ❤ June 25th, 2013 5:57 PM

Oh wow… THANK YOU SO MUCH, ROOKIE! I already added this page to a list of *summer rerferences* of mine. It’s that awesome!

• ruby June 25th, 2013 6:10 PM

I love these videos, as I literally never have a clue how to put on makeup! Also, Amy Rose’s monologues always make me laugh,

• snow white June 25th, 2013 9:59 PM

This is so helpful…especially when you are going to pool parties or the beach. Its tough to put on make up because you know its eventually going to melt off but then you don’t want to go to to a beach/pool party with no make up! I agree to use sun screen that is more of a moisturizer rather than liquid base. The liquid base in my opinion seems to be very watery and feel heavy on your face.

I also think that nice BIG hats can help cover up your crazy hair. Just throw on a sun hat and you are good to go.

To maggies question:
    I like to wear as minimal make up if i KNOW i will be jumping into the water. If anything, I will just wear lipgloss. If I am going to beach bonfire or pool party I will dress it up more and not planning on getting my hair or face wet.

Thank you again for this helpful tutorial :)

See you later people!

• Chloe22 June 25th, 2013 10:21 PM

I really appreciate the emphasis of SPF and sun protection in these videos. My family always teases me about my SPF 50 ( which I also wear on my feet :) ). My dad likes to ask me, ”Now Chloe,are you completely shellacked? We need to go!”

• glitter riot June 26th, 2013 1:15 AM

Amy Rose, how did you know exactly what I needed? This is amazing, like all of your other makeup vids!! Also i love the new hair!!

• elliecp June 26th, 2013 2:02 AM

Rookie, you’ve just solved all my problems.

• hellorose June 26th, 2013 7:06 AM

Lip balm with SPF is SO important and SO easy! You can get freckles on your lips too and they don’t always look as cute as they do on the rest of your face, trust me. These two are really good, not horribly expensive, and neither of them veer off into weird white lip territory beloved of skiers and cricketers:

The Neutrogena one is worth having anyway because it’s just really really good lip balm.

• ladyjenna June 26th, 2013 3:27 PM

Hey, FYI the “About Rookie” paragraph on the side of the page still says ‘updated 5 days a week’ and now youse guys do weekends too.

Thanks, Amy Rose, BTW

• Anaheed June 26th, 2013 5:17 PM

Thank you for noticing that! We will fix!

• queenb June 26th, 2013 8:00 PM

THANK YOU FOR THIS!!! Living in Florida (aka the swampland where it’s hot and humid 24/7) you think i would’ve figured this out by now… This is super helpful!

• clockworktoast June 28th, 2013 12:11 PM

It’s saying the first video doesn’t exist? >: is this happening for anyone else?

• Anaheed June 28th, 2013 4:07 PM

It’s playing for me — what browser are you using?

• LittleMissE June 30th, 2013 10:47 AM

Thank you thank you, Rookie + Amy Rose! This is totally perfect.
    Also, P.S., Amy Rose is literally the cutest ever

• llamalina July 5th, 2013 5:28 PM

Amy Rose totally reminds me of Emma Stone for some reason.

• glitter riot July 15th, 2013 7:16 PM

Amy Rose, have you done any DIY hair cutting tutorials yet? I really don’t have the money to spend 50$ at a salon, so I always cut my own bangs. They look ok, but yours look amazing! Did you cut them yourself? I always have these extra hairs at the side of my head that I don’t know if I should grow out or keep short????