Everything else

Editor’s Letter

June 2013: Longing

This photo by Mark Borthwick captures my current feelings exactly

This photo by Mark Borthwick captures my current feelings exactly.

Hey Rookies!

SCHOOL’S OUT! I am so ready to sleep all day and party for like half an hour and then sleep some more all night. Love sleep. Sleep is great. Sleeeeep. I’m very sorry if you’re still in school, but then at least this month’s theme will resonate extra deeply: LONGING. Here’s what I sent our staffers when it was time to come up with ideas:

Hot summer bedrooms (not hot like sexy, hot like stuffy and “I waited the whole school year for summer and now this feels miserable, and it’s sunny but everything is not automatically fixed”). Summer homes and cottages, camp, secret neighborhood hangout spots like bridges, overpasses, rivers, and cemeteries. Feeling homesick. Taking sad baths. “Last Days of Disco” by Yo La Tengo/everything by Yo La Tengo. Miranda July’s short stories. Gerhard Richter‘s paintings that look like old photographs. Mark Borthwick, Corinne Day, Ryan McGinley, and Sally Mann. Overalls, white cotton dresses, chainlink fences, the beach, lighthouses, clotheslines, backyards, watercolors, pencils, butterflies and butterfly nets, seashells, the pool and all the gross pool chairs, homemade lemonade, sunflowers, dandelions, straw, fields, all those dirty-looking flowers, and those vaguely Scandinavian floral patterns that you find on dish towels and shit. The little things you only have time to notice in the summer and are like, “Oh, I haven’t paid this much attention to the light hitting my glass since I was very little.” The sun when it dances on water, the way old memories of summer are kind of overexposed and blown-out from the sun, the way the sunshine cuts in and out of your vision when you walk under the shadow of scattered branches and leaves, the way sun persists against closed eyelids. The dimension between us and the material world, light, glares, records crackling, TV static, the sounds when fingers move up and down a guitar neck between chords, negative space, and waiting, period.

Longing for the future: Naomi’s diary entry, wanting to change just for the sake of change, wanting to change but not knowing how to become that person you want to be. The show Enlightened did such a good job of capturing the kind of relationship everyone has with their smaller, darker self. Sometimes—and I would feel crazy sharing this if I didn’t think it was how most people are—I feel like I’m just consistently trying to keep down and tame and teach a part of myself that gets irritable and lazy and insecure and self-absorbed. Then when I slip up just a little bit I’m like, WELL THAT’S IT, I’M DONE, CLEARLY I AM JUST INNATELY EVIL. Enlightened is so good at showing how you can continue to change regardless—not by reinventing yourself in extremes like Bob Dylan or whatever, just becoming more of who you are and making peace with yourself.

Longing for the past: missing something you never had, missing a glorified idea of something, missing ignorance, missing simplicity (even though when we’re missing things we usually make them a lot simpler in our heads). The Virgin Suicides and Lolita are good examples of how longing takes over your consciousness, and how it can feel even stronger than actual contact, and how longing stays with you as you. (I mean, the narrators are creeps, but they have all that stuff down.)

The Great Gatsby and Daisy’s green light. The paradox of getting what you longed for, that nothing can ever be truly what you wanted.

The longing in The Virgin Suicides with all the girls wanting to leeeeaaave and trying to escape by reading travel brochures and books and listening to music, how that is all a form of escape, how it can create your own private reality and fulfill you in ways Real Experience can’t. Oh, and how sheltered they are. Same with Picnic at Hanging Rock.

Longing for something just because it’s become your default, even if you don’t want it anymore.

Learning to ask for what you want.

Getting what you longed for and finding that the act of longing itself had been sustaining. Like with crushes. Or like when I used to go to Fashion Week, and I realized at some point that some people really are just meant to be fans, that it was more fulfilling for me to keep that distance than to get as close as possible. That’s kind of an Almost Famous thing, too.

Figuring out what you want in relation to what makes you happy. When I hear teachers at my school talk about college, they make it seem like the purpose of education is solely to one day get a job instead of to enrich your brain and inspire you and help you grow. I think many people expect that once they get into that college or get that romantic partner, they will automatically be happier and live in a state of eternal bliss. But I think we all like to never be satisfied, and will always look for little things to get irritated about no matter how good we have it. I think the goal is not utopia/paradise/everythinghappyallthetimealways, just general contentment and a healthy day-to-day mind, which will sometimes be disrupted by either extreme happiness or extreme sadness, which you can decide how to deal with, since you can’t control if it happens or not. There are people who are “successful” and extremely unhappy, and there are people who live alone on a farm in the middle of nowhere and are extremely happy, and who cares if their happiness is not recognized by the rest of the world, because one day they’ll die and so will everybody else. (I am TIRED and have also lately been thinking about becoming a recluse.)

From a zine I made for myself recently-ish: There are holes in the universe. Lost dreams, expectations, the pictures you see in your mind when you read a book (and all the pictures other people see when they read the same book and how different all these pictures can be). Where do these alternate realities go? Do they fit into alternate timelines? Or do the watercolors of memory just mix until old hope becomes a black hole? DEEP AF I KNOW GOD.

I’m aware this whole email is super cheese, but whatever! I wish I could see a gallery of all the visuals every human has ever had in their mind of fantasies and daydreams, picturing themselves getting what they want.

Hope you enjoy. Cannot wait to cry about this month 2gether through our computer screens.

Love,

Tavi

• Flower June 3rd, 2013 3:06 PM

i am so excited for this month sghsdfghjhfdsdf

• FlowerandtheVine June 3rd, 2013 3:09 PM

Cannot wait to read all of this month’s treasures! June is the loveliest month.

• rosiesayrelax June 3rd, 2013 3:13 PM

I always imagine summers past as being endless days filled with sunshine.
    That is clearly warped because there is usually one week of sun and the rest consists of flooding in low land areas. IT ALL A LIE, BRAIN.

Plus, I’m glad Lolita is cropping up as I’ve finally bought the book and will read it.

• ruby June 3rd, 2013 5:17 PM

Hahaha ‘summer’ is definitely a loose term here in England. Apparently this past April and May were the coldest there have been for like, 50 years. And last summer the ‘authorities’ said there was a ‘drought’ in East Anglia, even though I swear it rained so much everywhere was literally flooded…

Ok, rant over. I think I just affirmed every stereotype about English people being obsessed with weather.

Ruby xx

Oh, and yay! This month’s theme sounds so good :)

• Kimono Cat June 3rd, 2013 3:13 PM

Paradise is my favourite Rookie theme ever, so I have expectations for this June!

• Sophie ❤ June 3rd, 2013 3:17 PM

OMG, TAVI, I LOVED THIS!!!! I kind of miss your blog posts, though…

• oriana June 3rd, 2013 3:20 PM

Yesssss. I love the monthly themes you choose. It’s like you know exactly what I’m feelin’ too.

• urpdurp June 3rd, 2013 3:21 PM

smiling so big right now

• elliecp June 3rd, 2013 3:22 PM

I am so feeling this months theme. I find myself always longing for something, then not really knowing what to do when I get the thing I had been wanting. So much photography and art inspiration, and anything that links to the virgin suicides is perfect in my books!

• Mary the freak June 3rd, 2013 3:23 PM

I have this feeling that this will be the best month on rookie ever. I am pretty sure.

Now we only need sun – the weather in Germany is miserable. <3

• augustina e June 3rd, 2013 3:23 PM

This theme might as well be the best so far (though I adored attention). What happened to the Rookie Axe by the way?

• LuxOrBust June 4th, 2013 2:55 PM

that was a practical joke :)

• whatever June 3rd, 2013 3:25 PM

this month is going to be so great jfjkghjfldk hkjkh and ughh the first paragraph of theemail is so amazing, i wish you wrote more on rookie tavi ♡♡

• Tara June 3rd, 2013 3:26 PM

that is one beautiful editor’s letter/theme…I especially love the part where you said “Oh, I haven’t paid this much attention to the light hitting my glass since I was very little.” And holes in the universe-oh yes, I relate. I’m always longing and yearning-I connect to this so much.

should I pitch something or just send the end product if this brings any ideas to light (oh bad jokes, tara)?

• Sea goddess June 3rd, 2013 3:29 PM

Tavi, I always LONG for the theme Rookie does on June, because it’s the month of my birthday, so I’m always thinking, what it could be, if I will like it…and you always do such a great job on choosing the theme…What you wrote on the editor’s letter is just so creepy, because I think about almost all those things you talk about…I cannot wait to see all the things you guys do for June!!
    -I really liked these phrases you wrote look:

“The little things you only have time to notice in the summer and are like, “Oh, I haven’t paid this much attention to the light hitting my glass since I was very little.” ”

“Wanting to change but not knowing how to become that person you want to be”

“That nothing can ever be truly what you wanted”

“the purpose of education is solely to one day get a job instead of to enrich your brains and inspire you and help you grow.”

“I wish I could see a gallery of all the visuals every human has ever had in their mind of fantasies and daydreams, picturing themselves getting what they want.”

I love this website!! Life is not as simple as it looks, neither is it hard as they say, it’s just about understanding and recognizing it :)

• Isobel-cat June 3rd, 2013 3:32 PM

this is my favorite theme to date! It is like you have just gone into my brain and pulled out all of the little things I’ve been moaning about since summer started.
    “it’s sunny but everything is not automatically fixed” is what has disappointed me the most.. I am so excited for this! I feel like it could actually get me through this summer!

• Gretchyn June 3rd, 2013 3:33 PM

Although my updates with Rookie are sporadic, often times the themes are so, so relevent to my mood and state of being.
    And Tavi, I can really appreciate your earnest desire to take a look at what everybody else sees in their mind. Linking all those images to the concept of TIME– I get swept away.
    I look forward to this month and happy wishes to All of Rookie
    xo

• ellamccartney June 3rd, 2013 3:34 PM

WOW, this month’s theme fits with everything ive been thinking about and realizing recently. it is truly perfect timing. I absolutely cannot wait to see what people come up with! yay i love you rookie ❤

• FlorenceEyre June 3rd, 2013 3:35 PM

Tavi, this was one of the most inspiring things I have ever read.
    Thank you so much!

• thefilmrookie June 3rd, 2013 3:40 PM

Excited for this months theme! But I was kind of hoping for some surprise rookie events as well…

• GlitterKitty June 3rd, 2013 3:41 PM

I am just longing for exams to be over…. :( you lucky Americans ending school at the beginning of June.

• kirsten June 3rd, 2013 3:44 PM

school is not out. fuck you jk jk love you but seriously. we’re still in school :(((((((

• TinyWarrior June 3rd, 2013 4:00 PM

This whole thing was so awesome. I feel like all school year (even though I’m unschooled I’m waiting for SUMMER and HAPPINESS and FREEDOM and then when it is summer it’s hot and I’m grumpy and I spend days zoned out in front of the tv watching Ellen DeGeneres reruns and eating freezerpops and then I feel like I’m wasting my summer of HAPPINESS and FREEDOM. Sooo…yeah, it’s just nice to know that I’m not the only one who feels this way.

• Tyknos93 June 3rd, 2013 4:03 PM

Well that description kinda blew me away.

• normaliswack June 3rd, 2013 4:04 PM

That mail itself could be a poem.

• HollyMargaret June 3rd, 2013 4:19 PM

Tavi, this is just so cool and SO true!! Can’t wait for this month!!

• taste test June 3rd, 2013 4:25 PM

I am so excited for this theme, it sounds perfect. I’ve been dealing with a lot of vague longings I don’t know what to do with lately. so I really feel the bits about wanting to change but not knowing how and being disappointed by something you waited forever for and finding what makes you happy and all that. I can’t wait to see what this month has in store! (I can’t believe I just said that! but really! it’s true!)

• Marian June 3rd, 2013 4:36 PM

I’m so very excited for this theme! Really fits with how I’ve been feeling recently. Great editors letter Tavi!

• jessmargo June 3rd, 2013 4:36 PM

this resonates with how I’ve felt for so long.
    oh man i have sum good feelings about whats to come for this month <3

• EmmaAmerica June 3rd, 2013 4:40 PM

basically this is so awesome that I am seriously considering printing it out and sticking it on my wall but the printer is on the otherside of the house and I don’t believe in moving from my bed so we shall see (the wanting to print is currently winning over)

• Cosmo Beatrix June 3rd, 2013 5:13 PM

fab idea! i wish i had a printer to be able to do this with all the cool stuff i find on the internet :(

• luanda jabur June 3rd, 2013 4:49 PM

Tavi, I can relate to everything you said, just amazing. I think when we are adolescents we feel the world just much more, I was reading my diaries and I was always saying things like: I guess my head works just as Eminem’s, too many intense thoughts. I was constantly writing about becoming myself too, and don’t get me wrong I’m still anxious with life and wanting to figure the mysteries of my brain, but now in my college room, in my 20s, I just feel this kind of calm (not peace), but an understanding that things are coming into place, the things I was always craving for, and it feels good to see life taking me to the right places just by itself. Thanks for making me remember how it felt, maybe it heals a bit the little pain that exists in longing.

• izzybee June 3rd, 2013 5:06 PM

yes yes yes!

• mar9ar3t June 3rd, 2013 5:10 PM

tavi im pretty sure you do live under my bed because ive been feeling this SO MUCH LATELY ITS CRAZY. soo excited for june and ~longing~

• Cosmo Beatrix June 3rd, 2013 5:11 PM

I know you needed to end with ”This email is super cheese, i know!” but that list of things full filled me so much, as though everything you said resonated what i can’t myself condense into meaningful words.

Your point about recluses being happy and their happiness not being less valid than ”successful’ (rich) people because either and all will all die one day also said a lot, to hear you say that means a lot and that people.. (successful people) are saying that is so much.

• creaturefeature June 3rd, 2013 5:14 PM

I’m moving at the end of summer, and I’m already homesick.
    Rookie, you hit me where it hurts.

• Yasha June 3rd, 2013 5:17 PM

Firstly, I’m Bob Dylan’s step third cousin, and though I’ve never met him my grandma’s stories of him coming over to her house as a kid and playing the baby grand are cool. Just cause you mentioned him. Also, I’ve found Rookie to be a base. Like if you meet someone you want to be friends with and they’re a Rookie too, it helps. Thank you for that.

• Tara June 4th, 2013 11:53 AM

that is so incredibly cool. Oh my goodness…

• lucilleaime June 3rd, 2013 5:18 PM

I think this is my month… Longing to see all the pretty images hidden there *-*

• catpower44 June 3rd, 2013 5:31 PM

Tavi, I know exactly what you mean and I have been feeling all this lately too. Unfortunately I have a few more weeks of school, which will just make this more (I know it sounds clichéd)- melancholy. I have a yearning to do so many things this summer-read, travel, draw, collage and hang out with friends. I have an image in my mind and it’s so close I can feel I can almost touch it. I want to smell the smells of summer, flowers, mugginess, heat and grass. I just really can’t wait until summer, and I’m so excited for this month!

• Sandrine June 3rd, 2013 5:31 PM

This month is definitly going to be a really good one. I feel like I’ll be able to rely to it, and learn from it. I am thinking about longing, these days ,and what it means and when I read where you’re talking about escape et al I can so so so get qhere you’re going.

Awesome editor’s letter by the way, it makes me crave for summer break! I finish on June 19. :D

• Princess Mononoke June 3rd, 2013 5:33 PM

Great letter Tavi, I’ve been feeling this way lately. I’ve been crushing on this guy and I’m worried that the longing is more satisfying than a relationship would be. Anyway, I love you Rookie, awesome as usual.

• chawi June 3rd, 2013 5:40 PM

still at school…but this month eeeeeeeeeeek :-))))

• kolumbia June 3rd, 2013 5:58 PM

This is so great!! I’m super pumped for this month!

Also, I submitted a story for this month’s theme sometime during early/mid May, and I haven’t heard anything. Should I assume it’s not going to be published?

• oleander June 3rd, 2013 6:08 PM

I love reading everything you write Tavi, even your thought streams seem to bring life into sharper focus and paint the mundane with sparkly significance. You are so eloquent in expressing what was in my heart and mind as a teenager. It brings me right back.
    I send love from New Zealand.

• wiltedrues June 3rd, 2013 6:12 PM

I love this letter and this theme, Tavi! I feel like someone should create an eye candy of artwork of different artists’ Utopias or dream places for Rookie. Sort of like a virtual, small gallery of what you mentioned at the end of the email. <3

• oleander June 3rd, 2013 6:12 PM

Also, one of the first things that comes to mind for this theme is the still shots of the empty rooms at the end of the virgin suicides, particularly up the stairs. http://www.leavemethewhite.com/caps/displayimage.php?album=235&pos=678

• Yayo June 3rd, 2013 6:31 PM

I feel like now is a good time to proclaim my love of Sally Mann. Everything about her work is just the most beautiful thing ever – the way she captures childhood and growing up; death, decay, illness; reality vs ideality. It’s so nostalgic and creepy in such a good way. I’m also a huge fan of Emmet Gowin.

Also, the thing about hot bedrooms/the expectation of summer – I just wrote that quote on quote in block capitals on my bedroom wall because I relate SO FUCKING MUCH.

Summertime rookie themes are always my fave <3 I can't wait for this… I'm reading less Rookie recently because of exams and shit (damn you GCSEs) but I swear you guys I'm can't wait to read like, everything this month and then cry about it.

• Tara June 4th, 2013 11:53 AM

Sally Mann is so incredibly talented. I want to watch the documentaries on her. Hey Rookie, that would be a great person to interview actually!

• Yayo June 6th, 2013 4:11 PM

YES PLEASE INTERVIEW HER ROOKIE PLEASE! She is literally one of my favourite people ever.

And her documentary is so good. There is this really amazing part where she talks about her views on death, and how a murder she saw influenced the way she photographed the dead in her Body Farm exhibition. It really changed the way I see life/death.

…(sorry if my enthusiasm is coming off as creepiness, I swear I’m not that weird)

• amyhodkin June 3rd, 2013 6:37 PM

I can’t wait for my course to be over and for summer to begin. This theme sounds beautiful!

x

• maggie910 June 3rd, 2013 6:42 PM

Tavi, this entry was so special and amazing. My dad passed away right after the summer last year and everything you wrote in your letter reminded me of all of the summers I spent with him in my life. I’ve been sort of dreading this summer because I thought it wouldn’t feel right to do all the things I used to do and feel all the things I used to feel when I was with my dad, but you made me long for summer again. This month’s theme has kind of captured my entire reality right now and I think it’s perfect for June and for summer and the sadness and wistfulness it can bring with its joy.

• Tavi June 3rd, 2013 7:55 PM

Maggie, I’m so glad this could do that for you, and I hope your summer is filled with joy.

• eremiomania June 3rd, 2013 6:42 PM

LONGING for school to be out and for all the great posts to come!

• silvermist June 3rd, 2013 6:57 PM

Tavi <3 <3 Lots of feelings about this but i have to study for my finals!

Also just a quick question but does anyone have a suggestion for a rss reader now that google reader is closing? I've been following Rookie with google reader since the beginning (I've basically read every.single.post – Rookie is like my bednight fairy tale book). Any suggestion?

• KatGirl June 3rd, 2013 7:10 PM

I love the look of this month already <3
    And the background today is awesome, you can hardly tell where it begins and ends!

• Eva Patterson June 3rd, 2013 7:25 PM

Just got out of my HS Junior year, as well. I always hope for a teacher to come along and express what you wrote here about enriching minds as opposed to meeting an academic goal. Really learning instead of trying to prove you’ve learned. I’m so pleased I came across this website, have a great summer Tavi x

• fromanotherearth June 3rd, 2013 7:30 PM

i get out on the 25th of June ugh don’t remind me :’(

• dreamygirl June 3rd, 2013 7:33 PM

This theme is wonderful. Especially the sun persistence on your eyelids, because for whatever reason, that’s what summer feels like. The thing about seeing other people’s visualization of a book is that maybe that spoils what I thought the book was. Then maybe I would long for what I had first thought. Movies aren’t real in the same way, because they can’t make anything happen, but other people’s ideas are as real as my own. Another thought: the longing for impossible. Wishing for the ability to see things that you can never, ever see. Also, longing for something but also being terrified of the idea that what you long for is the worst thing ever. AND UGH I LOVE THE GREAT GATSBY THING because, maybe the best part of everything is longing? Because nothing you long for can truly be what you longed for. And a final thought; long distance relationships, and how you long and you long for that person so far away, but how you are living on a fantasy, a dream of a person who becomes more and more perfect as time progresses.

• Tavi June 3rd, 2013 7:53 PM

Yeah! LONGING FOR STUFF RULES. That’s why I love Taylor Swift — it’s like her songs were MADE for daydreaming, they don’t make me want romance, they make me wanna just sing along with friends and cry and stuff.

• dreamygirl June 3rd, 2013 8:19 PM

I’ve never actually thought of Taylor Swift that way, but you just made me like her so much more wow. And then longing for those moments when you were singing with friends and turning on a Taylor Swift song to remember the moment. . . You have filled me with thoughts about longing <3

• AliceinWonderland June 3rd, 2013 7:44 PM

Tavi, I think all Rookies would agree that this site has been missing you lately. You should write more, we love your posts!

• litchick June 3rd, 2013 8:11 PM

Such a wonderful editor’s letter!!!

ps. Are you still accepting submissions for this month? If not, will you be taking them in July?

• Eryn June 3rd, 2013 9:20 PM

I am now incredibly excited for this month/summer in general. Generally it is my least favourite season; I have ridiculously high expectations and they rarely get met. I mean, last summer I met you guys, and that was a dream come true, and the rest of the summer was anti-climatic from there. I guess I always envision summer to be this memorable, perfect time, and I usually end up lying on my couch, sweaty, eating icecream and watching reruns. Not too bad, but not magical. I feel more confident this summer, like my expectations are lower and my ability to have fun is higher, but that’s probably an expectation in itself which will fail to be realized. My birthday is also in summer, which I always feel like should be great, and is always shitty. I think this adds to my dislike of summer.
    This post kind of illustrated how I LONG for summer to be. It was very inspiring, and hopefully resembles a smidgen of how the coming summer will be. And if it’s not, I always have Rookie to read.

Eryn
    <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

• Mags June 3rd, 2013 11:38 PM

• Sssophiabh June 4th, 2013 12:04 AM

this whole letter means absolutely everything <3

• SpencerBowie June 4th, 2013 2:00 AM

I’m more than super into The Great Gatsby again. Loved it in High School, but I wasn’t excited for the movie because Leo isn’t my favorite and I have’nt really sat thru a whole Moulin Rouge screening (Yet! Going to!). But then I saw and heard the soundtrack! Lana, Flo, Andre 3000 and Bey, BRYAN FERRY, Fergie ferg, The XX, Goyte! Ugh! I was in love!

Of corse I went and my mind has been blown away. It’s not a perfect adaption, but it’s a beautiful film. Leo is absolutely amazing, as is EVERYONE, and it’s made me cry twice. Boo hoo cry. Above all it’s a FUN movie. I have fun at it. It cane at a time I needed fun at the movies. I love that story, now I love this movie.

And I love rookie. :)

And there’s green light in my eyes, and my lover on my mind…..

• Zoe June 4th, 2013 2:36 AM

Well NOW I’m certainly filled with longing, because it’s WINTER over here in Australia. All the same, this is a beautiful letter (-:

• alienbabe June 4th, 2013 7:14 AM

This month is gonna be rad.

• sissiLOL June 4th, 2013 8:26 AM

You have holidays?! This isn`t fair! :-D
    Love this editor letter!
    feminismfreestyle.blogspot.de

• trassel June 4th, 2013 1:06 PM

This letter is just what I need right now, I think. I feel kind of lost and scared in my life right now.
    There is a Swedish children’s book/film called “the glassblower’s children” by Maria Gripe. There is a queen in it, she was a poor girl who got picked up by this king and he gave her everything she ever wished for. But she is still very unhappy, and it turns out that all she ever wanted was to dream about something that she couldn’t get. I think about that story now and then.

• dtfitzp June 4th, 2013 5:20 PM

Tavi,

Don’t become a hermit.

The world needs you. Get a really strong filter.

• annacorbett June 4th, 2013 6:12 PM

Tubular June im excited

• Tiger June 4th, 2013 7:16 PM

Tavi, your writing is absolutely beautiful. And I am so freaking excited for this month. yay!

• lauraunicorns June 4th, 2013 7:17 PM

Everything in that first list I just

lauraunicorns.tumblr.com

• dandelions June 5th, 2013 1:13 PM

“who cares if their happiness is not recognized/validated by the rest of the world”

TRUE TAAAAVI. I’m in college now and sometimes I feel a hole inside, I think there is more in the universe than just a carreer and make money, there must be something else to live for. And I’m longing for that.

• abby111039 June 6th, 2013 5:30 PM

This is gonna be my month on here, I swear. Everything described in this letter speaks to me SO MUCH which is just what I need right now. I can’t wait. <3