Dear Diary

May 29, 2013

Better than fiction!

Katherine

My dad keeps on doing this thing where after he talks to me about helping him stain the porch or about when I might get a job, he starts to tell me what a good life I have. He tells me that even though I hated people at my high school, I received a great education and I have pretty much everything I need and most of the things I want. He usually references these diaries as examples of my dissatisfaction.

I explain to him that it’s the nature of a diary to write what’s on my mind and not to say things like: “I woke up. I rewatched some Gilmore Girls and came up with darker endings. In one episode, Rory poisons Dean’s food in a feminist rage after he says he likes the idea of having a wife who does the housework in a dress and pearls. After that, Rory and Lorelai off anyone who makes a sexist remark. By the end, Emily and Richard reveal that they actually murdered a man to get that vacation home in Martha’s Vineyard. The last shot is of Babette’s late cat Cinnamon rising from the grave to take revenge on Luke, who served meatloaf, of all things, at the wake. Then I read, got McFlurries with Davis, and lip-synched for my life to Carly Rae Jepsen’s ‘Take a Picture’ and it was really fun.” That’s a pretty shitty diary.

However, I’ve noticed, and so has my dad, that this idea of a tragic Katherine, one who constantly longs for human interaction like a character in Winesburg, Ohio, often shows up in my writing and my sense of humor. She’s part of my persona, even though it’s not how I want to think of myself or how I want to be. My high-school social life was not the most vibrant, but as one of my friends once told me, “You can be a total bitch sometimes.” Which is totally true.

It’s just like this Winesburg Katherine is always calling me on the phone to remind me she exists. And I’m like, “What are you doing? Go the fuck away.” And in her best Ghostface voice, she’s all, “I AM YOU. I’M IN YOUR SPEECH, YOUR CHARACTER, YOUR 3 PM POP-TART.” And I’m like, “Sorry for leading you on, but I don’t want you here anymore.” At which point she just laughs, because she’s in the closet LOOK BEHIND YOU.

I don’t want to write a Thanksgiving-table diary, and I will never write one, but my portrayal of myself makes me sound like a victim, which I’m not. Yeah, I do feel sad and discontent sometimes, for a number of reasons, and that’s interesting to write about. But more often it’s my choice to spend a lot of time by myself, and I know that other people think that’s a bummer, so that’s the way I represent it. I don’t know how to shake Winesburg Katherine, but I just want to be as honest as possible. ♦

1 2 3 4 5

• strawberryhair May 29th, 2013 7:02 PM

Rubyyyyyyyyyyyyyy <3

• book_kitty May 29th, 2013 7:14 PM

Britney: You seem vulnerable right now, and I kind of feel the same way. Hang in there, girl. We can get through this (hopefully).

Ruby: AADJKFLS OMG I HAVE LITERALLY BEEN SEARCHING FOR YOUR KIND OF FRIENDS MY ENTIRE LIFE

• wishfulwanderer May 29th, 2013 7:18 PM

GAHH, Ruby! You have the best friends!

• KatGirl May 29th, 2013 7:36 PM

love the gilmore girls reference!

• thelilacparadox May 29th, 2013 7:42 PM

Ruby, your friends (and you, of course) must be some of the most amazing people in the world. I’m so glad you’ve found them and they’ve found you.

• eremiomania May 29th, 2013 7:50 PM

Eternally jealous of your friends, Ruby!

• flapperhatgirl May 29th, 2013 7:58 PM

I really liked this week’s diaries.
    Britney, stay strong… Your post was really moving.
    Also, I thought Naomi’s post was great.

• Sophie ❤ May 29th, 2013 8:00 PM

OH GOSH, rookie, why do I always have to live your posts so much?! I totally ADORE each entry this time, which is kind of usual for me, actually. I loved Ruby’s especially, though. Thanks, guys!

-Sophie :)

Drop by my blog:

• Christi May 29th, 2013 8:00 PM

Katherine:

I 100% understand your entry! I often feel the same way that you do. Hang in there!

• Abby May 29th, 2013 8:37 PM

RUUUUBYYY… I wish boys would text me beautiful quotes from E. E. Cummings poems… :(

And Katherine I totally feel you. I sometimes feel terrible for complaining… like, there are kids starving in the world and I’m whining about how I feel lonely?? But I’m trying to get myself to remember lately… just because someone has it worse doesn’t make our trials any less difficult. We have to give legitimacy to our problems, or they’ll consume us.

• angusyoung4eva May 29th, 2013 8:40 PM

Ruby, that sounds like such a great experience! And that poem!!!! :D

• tasmia May 29th, 2013 8:57 PM

:( Britney I feel for you. One of my favourite quotes that helps me when I’m feel like perpetual crap is from avatar. It goes like, “Life is like this dark tunnel. You may not always see the light at the end of the tunnel, but if you keep moving, you will come to a better place.”

• Kourtney May 29th, 2013 9:00 PM

Ruby: You have THE most wonderful friends!! They’re the kind of people I dream of having in my life every day. So happy for you! :)

Britney: Hang in there! I hope you go to prom and have an amazing time. Feel better <3

Katherine: I've dealt with something similar. I hated when people pitied me, or asked me if I was okay a million times, but I began to wonder how if my sour facial expression was more visible than I thought.

• loonylizzy May 29th, 2013 9:32 PM

love these diaries. this is honestly one of my favorite rookie features!

ruby – your friends sound like mine! i’m so glad that you have them to help you discover the awesomeness of cuddling :)

katherine – i love your diaries, never change them. you’re brilliant.

britney – i can relate. panic attacks suck royally, especially when they ambush you in the middle of a public place. i’m so sorry you had to go through that. i hope you feel better soon and have tons of fun at prom!

• momobaby May 29th, 2013 11:37 PM

Katherine – I know what you mean about how your written persona doesn’t truly reflect who you are. I think it’s really hard to write a true reflection yourself because you will always be biased in one way or the other, either positive or negative, and I think really impressive that you realize this and are making an effort to convey your personality as truthfully as possible.

Ruby – I adore you and am so glad that you have found somewhere that you feel truly happy and at peace. I miss your blog, but am so happy I still get the chance of looking into your head every week. Friends are the best aren’t they?

• rachelsea May 30th, 2013 3:13 AM

KATHERINE! I wish you had been a writer for Gilmore Girls. That whole “housewife” episode would have been way better with your alternate ending. PS: Dean was the woooooooorrrrrrrrrssst

• Zoe May 30th, 2013 7:08 AM

Oh Ruby, I want your friends.
    But Britney, that sounds awful )-: I hope you feel better. You deserve to feel good.

• AidaA May 30th, 2013 7:43 AM

Naomi – I’m an english student too; I know exactly what you mean about trying to make your own life as poetic as the things you read x

• Tara A. May 30th, 2013 9:20 AM

Wow, I loved all of these diary entries. Britney, your post was really moving and I hope you feel better too x

• Tara May 30th, 2013 10:48 AM

gosh these weeks diaries are so so good.
    Britney-I am so sorry. That is terrible that people have made you feel like that. To be honest-I relate. In tenth grade friends of mine made fun of me for liking a geeky guy and I really, really liked him.
    Naomi-YOU ROCK BEAUTY QUEEN. AND YOU KNOW IT.
    Ruby-your diary was so lovely. cuddling is so nice.
    Katherine-perfect diary. yes.
    (also hi other Tara!)

• Anaheed May 30th, 2013 11:31 AM

Now do Caitlin’s!

• Tara May 30th, 2013 12:16 PM

oh yes WHY DIDN’T I DO CAITLIN’S I love Caitlin! she is always marvelous :) Caitlin all I can say is don’t be nervous! if you have clothes you want to wear WEAR THEM don’t worry about what other people think of you! your drawing is beautiful.

• snow white May 30th, 2013 1:59 PM

You have amazing friends! That’s all that matters and I hope that every girl in school can have such a great group of friends or even one friend like that.

xoxo

princerepeller.blogspot.com

• GlitterKitty May 30th, 2013 3:28 PM

Caitlin just summed up all my clothing problems in one picture.

• abby111039 May 30th, 2013 4:27 PM

Caitlin, I have the EXACT SAME PROBLEM. Seriously. And Ruby, your friends sound absolutely fantastic. <3