Dear Diary

May 15, 2013

Twitter! Selfies! Racists! Romance! Misanthropy! And more.

Katherine

Things that were sort of not the best this week:

• Going to Alabama to help at my grandfather’s estate sale and hearing about a lot of random people’s diabetes, bladder infections, and Weight Watchers experiences.
  • My family members loudly asking “how it went” when I returned after disappearing for an hour. I know I’m, like, the #1 cheerleader for talking about “gross” stuff, but it’s not cool. There’s conceivably a funny way to do this, but no one there had found it. For the record, I took a nap because I was tired after playing chase/hide-and-seek for hours.

Things I did not like at all about this week:

• At the estate sale, I ended up babysitting my five-year-old cousin. Look, it’s fine that I had to do it, because I’m so inept at negotiating with people and lifting things that I would have otherwise been useless, but children are Not Cute. Also, I failed to act according to my beliefs. For instance, I believe that you shouldn’t let children win at games just because they are younger and supposedly cute. HOWEVER, this twerp beat me at every game of cards and almost every race. “You’re just letting me win,” she kept on saying. Uh, no, girl—I don’t like you, I’m just a really slow runner. I did succeed in following my rule of using really big words and asking difficult questions. Children should be confused, because they need to know that the world is a confusing place and they should start figuring out how to make it less scary.
  • Talking to a certain family member who always asks me if I know my cousin was born out of wedlock and that her father is black. This weekend she also told me to make sure my cousin didn’t steal anything from the sale.

Things I did a lot of this week:

• Read through the Craigslist classifieds. Found nothing. Read through them again. Reluctantly bookmarked at least one posting.
  • Said “YOLO.”
  • Narcissism: selfies. Twitter. Drunk selfies. Drunk Twitter. You get the idea.

Something I realized this week:

• I’m aces at charming nurses. They LOVE me. I’ve always felt bummed about not having a special mundane talent (being double-jointed or able to recite the alphabet backwards), but now I know mine. Self-discovery!

Things I really liked about this week:

• Driving all the way to Decatur, Alabama, alone at night. When you get to Decatur you cross a river and pass a tower that says Decatur: Home of Meow Mix.
  • My brother is home. We YOLO a lot.
  • RuPaul’s Drag Race reunion episode confirmed my suspicion that humans might be incredible sometimes. ♦

1 2 3 4 5

• Ally_O May 15th, 2013 7:23 PM

Britney, I totally feel you. “Lack of meaningful interaction…” That is my life.

• sepiawriter May 15th, 2013 7:52 PM

Britney, reading your last two entries has felt so strange, because it’s as if you were writing what’s on my mind.
    It’s strange how hard it is for a person to just be how they should be without toning themselves down because everyone else might find them strange.
    I don’t even know where all my feelings are because everything seems so hollow.

• Julia845 May 15th, 2013 8:21 PM

Naomi, this is what all of my days are like. I’m still 18, so I suppose I still have time to pick up a few last minute words, but I totally feel you on the I-want-to-express-these-feelings-and-concepts-how-on-earth-do-I-do-that front. It’s endlessly frustrating!

• vintagebarbie May 15th, 2013 9:00 PM

No Ruby. I am the worst Cher ever. My bestfriend had a crush on this cute girl that he’d never ask out. He tried multiple times and once even ran away from her! Good luck though! They will be a very cute couple! I know you can set them up clearly they will both me happy.

• vintagebarbie May 15th, 2013 9:01 PM

I wanted to know if it was OK to put that picture on my own blog post I promise that I will give you guys credit! I love it so much and it’d look really good with my newest post!

• Kourtney May 15th, 2013 9:27 PM

Britney, I feel you man. I’m still waiting for the day when I’ll meet that someone who’d just sit there and listen to me, not judge or try to tell me exactly what to do, just listen. I just wanted someone to be there to listen and tell me everything would be fine and to keep going. But I haven’t met that person yet. And I’ve also been giving people a “less-nutritious” version of myself. And I’ve been doing it since high school. It’s either I have to dumb myself down to relate to some people or I have to be pessimistic to relate to the others. There are things in your diary that relate so much to me – that IS me. I wish you the best Brit <3

• plushy1222 May 15th, 2013 10:00 PM

Brittany, I completley understand where you are coming from. Many instances, I feel the same way, like no one ever understand you or you can never say what is on your mind because people will look at you like you’re psycho. But believe me when I say, there are people out there who are just as crazy (if not more) as you are! and they feel the say way that you are feeling right now. All it takes is some time and effort to find them, and when you do, you guys will be inseperable <3

• Chloe22 May 15th, 2013 10:02 PM

Ugh, friends are so confusing! I’m one of those many girls who’s never dated, but instead has a lot of friend experience. There was the friend who told me she was going to a concert I couldn’t go to to make me jealous, because obviously I deserved that considering my family couldn’t afford a fourth ticket for the concert I was going to for her, the friend who thought it was her job to ruin every crush I had by pretending she wasn’t dating them for months….the list goes on! It’s so hard to find NICE PEOPLE. I hope you find an awesome friend, Britney. In my experience, I’m usually trying to ”fix” a jerky friend, when there’s a caring friend who wants to chill on an equal level.

• neon jelly May 15th, 2013 11:34 PM

I know exactly what you mean, there is always something in the way. most of the time (for me) the guys are (I don’t use this words much) GHETTO, players, jerks, but I finally found one guy at least just recently very charming. and haha something similar happened to me and its been 10 months :3

• Chloe22 May 16th, 2013 10:20 AM

funny you say that i accidentally sent an email chat to the girl I was talking about and am freaking right now… LOL my life

• thebrownette May 15th, 2013 11:19 PM

Britany, I FEEL YA.

• neon jelly May 15th, 2013 11:28 PM

come on ben! if he’s scared to ask her then she just might be the most special girl. 90% true

• shin o May 15th, 2013 11:50 PM

i can relate to Britney a lot that i even wrote the first sentences of her entry in my secret diary (i put Rookiemag.com as source, btw.)
    maybe u can let yourself just be out and weird sometimes, tho. :)

• elliecp May 16th, 2013 2:21 AM

totally feeling you, sisters.

• Charlotte CallaGirl May 16th, 2013 6:04 AM

I LOVED BRITNEY’S POST. It was a total relate-to for me, and that was actually exactly what I was thinking of the other day. It was kind of like a mirrored thought that completely came alive.

• katmelon May 16th, 2013 9:00 AM

HOMAIGAWD NAOMI THANK YOU FOR THAT. My birthday is in 4 months and I am going to LEARN TWENTY WORDS EVERYDAY. EVERYDAY!!!

• julalondon May 16th, 2013 3:11 PM

Katherine, i think i love you.

• katycruel May 16th, 2013 3:18 PM

the girl should just ask ben out, right? or is it a test of his stick-to-itiveness?

• GlitterKitty May 16th, 2013 4:54 PM

Oh Britney I know what you mean. I feel that I always have to show a sort off fake side of myself to people at school too. But I think that if you always fake it to other people, they’ll never really understand you because the person they know isn’t really you. If only I could take my own advice…. Good luck, I hope things start looking up for you soon.

• abby111039 May 16th, 2013 5:07 PM

Holy shit Britney, it’s like you read my mind. Seriously, your entry is perfection.

• Elle May 16th, 2013 9:55 PM

Naomi, I think that what you (eloquently) described happens to everyone. I read this article in the New Yorker about it, I am commenting because I thought it might make you feel better.

• Elle May 16th, 2013 10:01 PM

Britney I really liked your entry. I feel the same way. Almost no one I know fits my criteria for a human being. I want everything I say to be meaningful so I say less than most people, but at the same time I don’t want people to think I’m stuck up or boring for not talking. I think that human interaction should be a perfect and beautiful vent for emotion. “Ask me why and I’ll spit in your eye” though, because it’s not possible.

• barbroxursox May 17th, 2013 12:10 AM

@Naomi, you are literally describing my life right now. I feel exactly the same every day… I have something really awesome to say, but I just cant find the word(s) for it, so I either sound like a fool trying to describe it or just don’t say anything at all. I wish I was more articulate. :/

• Valerie Violet May 17th, 2013 12:50 AM

Britney, your post hit so close to home for me. It’s nice to know that someone out there feels the same way.

• selinau May 18th, 2013 2:58 AM

Caitlin your diary is so good!
    And Britney, to meet that person maybe you have to give people the chance you know? You need to let someone near and bild a trust between you and then that kind of silent understanding would be possible. Easier said than done though.. But i wish you all the best!

• Peyton Lewis May 18th, 2013 3:58 PM

Britney, I totally understand what you mean, I find myself feeling hollow at times; feeling like people just don’t realise that I feel like I am pretending to smile because it’s socially acceptable. But I do also only find myself talking to the people that make me “feel”, even if it does mean being slightly dissmissive to others