Live Through This

In Your Own Image

There are few greater sins than to be a woman and to love yourself and your art unapologetically.

Illustration by Emma D

Illustration by Emma D.

When I was 17 I started a fashion blog on a whim. I’d done a newspaper internship and some other writing before it, but I’d always self-consciously tried to imitate professional writers and just ended up sounding dry. My blog, on the other hand, was just for me, so it didn’t need to sound slick. It was very stream-of-conscious. I posted poorly lit pictures of myself posing in thrift-store outfits, wrote extensive musings on old movies I liked, and told weird jokes. It was one of the first things I’d written that sounded like me. Funnily enough, this thing that I did for fun, not trying to impress anyone in particular, got a much bigger response than anything I’d ever slaved over for the newspaper. I’m not saying it was art, but it got me a few paid writing jobs and it’s how I met Tavi and a lot of other great people who are still in my life.

But then something even more unexpected happened. As soon as people started to notice my blog, I got self-conscious again. This was no longer just something I was doing for fun and to improve my writing—I could feel all these eyes on my page as I typed, and all these worries set in, the main one being that people would think I was obsessed with myself—why else would I think anyone would want to read my precious musings about clothes? That feeling ate away at me until I finally just deleted the whole thing, a couple of years after I’d started it. It was a premature decision. I never stopped to consider that (1) probably no one was thinking about me intensely enough to have built a character profile in their head, and (2) even if they did decide that I was an insufferable narcissist, who cared?

At the time, I did. I thought narcissist was one of the worst possible things you could call someone. If you’re a narcissist, I reasoned, that means you’re selfish, superficial, and self-centered—a look you can get away with if you’re a man, by the way. If you’re a guy who makes stuff and you tend to be oblivious to the needs of others because you are obsessed with the inner workings of your own mind, people will call you a genius. A woman with these qualities is more likely to be called crazy, monstrous, an attention whore.

***

Mary MacLane was a brilliant writer. I know this because she says so on the first page of her 1902 memoir, I Await the Devil’s Coming. “I am not a girl,” she wrote. “I am a woman, of a kind. I began to be a woman at 12, or more properly, a genius.”

MacLane was born in Winnipeg, Canada, in 1881; as a kid she moved with her family to the small mining town of Butte, Montana. For three months in 1901, when she was 19, she kept a visceral record of her daily thoughts, annoyances, musings…and her growing attraction to the devil—all of which would later fill her book. She could be dramatic, the way a lot of us often are in our diaries, but she could also be funny, insightful, and provocative. And she took many opportunities to remind her readers of her talents.

When it came out, The Story of Mary MacLane—which was recently reprinted under the title she originally chose for it, I Await the Devil’s Coming—earned accolades but also an enormous amount of disgust from the public and critics. The New York Herald wrote that MacLane “should be put under medical treatment and pens and paper put out of her way until she is restored to reason.” A British literary magazine suggested the book was a hoax “to show us the real tommyrottenness of all this latter-day business of the woman who wants to go about exposing her ‘naked soul.’” (As if—all tommyrottenness aside—no one could have possibly wanted to read the intimate musings of a teenage girl.) Another reviewer accused MacLane of possessing “ignorance, indecency, and an illimitable absorption.”

Beyoncé was recently accused of “raging narcissism” for admitting she listens her own music. When Mindy Kaling created her own sitcom, on which she stars, people surmised that she was “in love with her own narcissism.” I’m not saying male artists are never called narcissists, but when people referred to Jerry Seinfeld, a man who starred in a sitcom he co-created, that way they were referring to his character on that show, not the real guy. I’m willing to bet that Bruce Springsteen is every bit as ambitious and cunning as Beyoncé or Lady Gaga, but no one ever questions his choice to devote himself to his career. Narcissist, egomaniac, calculating bitch—these are terms that are applied to any female artist who doesn’t make too many concessions to gender expectations . It can start to feel like there are few greater sins than to be a woman and to love yourself and your art unapologetically.

Any job where you make stuff up—musician, comedian, visual artist, writer etc.—requires tons of time, dedication, and blind faith (in yourself). Even the most talented people rarely spit out works of genius by accident. To make that hit record or create that hilarious show or paint that masterpiece or publish that brilliant novel, you not only have to recognize that you could be good at making art, but also that your art is something worthy of investing time and energy in—even if that has social “costs” like being accused of self-obsession or worse. Considering how painful and hard (and often totally unsuccessful) it is to bare your soul to the whole world in your work and then actually invite scrutiny from strangers, a little bit of self-delusional narcissism isn’t just OK, it’s necessary to get through all that without throwing in the towel (like I did).

Early 20th century writers like MacLane—as well as Dorothy Parker, Edna St. Vincent Millay, and Nella Larsen, to name a few—are among the artists I admire most, and I often think about the limitations they were up against. They were expected to get married, then to serve their husbands, and then to become mothers devoted to raising their kids. These writers are all very different from one another (I HATE it when women are painted with the same brush just for being female and having like one other thing in common), but they all made a decision that flew in the face of what was socially acceptable at the time just by making art for public consumption. And consequently they’ve all been accused, for one reason or another, of being selfish/narcissistic by critics and scholars, other writers, and sometimes even their fans. (MacLane, for one, still inspires discussions on whether “feminist narcissism” is a thing.)

Sadly, it seems pretty clear that saying “I am an awesome person, I matter, and what I make matters” is as brave now as it was a hundred years ago. But you know what? Loving yourself and being proud of your work aren’t character flaws. I’m not saying you should start ignoring your friends and family for the sake of focusing only yourself and ~your art~ day in day out (as with every life philosophy, “not being a jerk” should be a consideration). But don’t let the fear of being called self-absorbed stop you from believing that what you have to say or do or make is important or interesting. “I have in me the germs of intense life,” Maclane wrote in I Await the Devil’s Coming. “If I could live, and if I could succeed in writing out my living, the world itself would feel the heavy intensity of it.”

Maybe Beyoncé is allowed to think she’s a helluva entertainer because HAVE YOU SEEN her Super Bowl halftime show? And maybe it is important for Mindy to star in a sitcom she wrote because it’s 2013 and I still can’t think of any Hollywood-produced rom-coms with a brown female lead. Maybe every blogger (including me, I admit it) who carves out a space for herself to be creative on her own terms deserves to be reminded that her experiences are real, she deserves every opportunity to speak up about her life, and she has permission to make stuff—no matter what anyone else say.

In its day, MacLane’s book may have caused shock and outcry, but—like Beyoncé’s music and Mindy’s comedy—it was very, very popular. It sold 100,000 copies in its first month (that’s an average of more than three books per person for every citizen of Butte, Montana—then AND now), and its following among young women was cult-like. Fans wrote in to newspapers to defend not only MacLane, but her point of view. “I cannot understand how anyone can condemn her. She tells the unvarnished truth,” insisted one, while another gushed, “I love you, Mary MacLane! Not because you say you are a thief and a liar and not afraid of the devil, but because you are yourself.” If MacLane hadn’t published her book a hundred years ago, these gushing fans might not have known there was anyone else out there who felt the way they did.

But who’m I kidding—narcissists don’t make art as a form of charity. Make what you want to make for you. Be prepared to be criticized for it, maybe even to be cursed with the label narcissist. Because the payoff—having created something out of nothing, something that is truly your own—I know that’s worth it. ♦

• Melissa @ WildFlowerChild May 30th, 2013 8:16 PM

Such a great article! I was listening to something yesterday that said if you think you’re special, you’re a narcissist. News flash! – we’re all special!! Especially us Rookies! <3

Melissa

• akacatalina May 30th, 2013 8:42 PM

aaaah I love this! My favorite post in a while

• lydiamerida May 31st, 2013 12:27 AM

i honestly love this article

• spudzine May 31st, 2013 12:57 AM

This is simply the best. I like how I get to read an uplifting article pushing young female artists to do their own thing and believe in their own thing, because this is what wenneed to be doing in order to succeed. I would love to make art so great that I would fawn over how brillant it is, and there should be no shame in this. Let’s go forth, my fellow sisters.

• Tara A. May 31st, 2013 1:04 AM

This article was amazing, and so relevant. I hadn’t really thought about this before, but it is true. People like Beyonce and Mindy Kaling are considered narcissistic because they love themselves and what they create. This attitude seriously needs to change. I mean, what’s wrong with loving who you are and what you do? If they hated themselves and their work, they would have an unhealthy attitude. We keep telling people to love themselves for who they are, so why is it that those who do are criticised?

Thank you Anna, for bringing light to this issue.

-Tara (http://unlockingpandorasbox.blogspot.com)

• AidaA May 31st, 2013 4:19 AM

‘Make what you want to make for you. Be prepared to be criticized for it, maybe even to be cursed with the label narcissist. Because the payoff—having created something out of nothing, something that is truly your own’

This is a really inspiring and well-written piece. It’s really encouraging to hear words like these. Cool piece
    Aida x

• Sho-Sho May 31st, 2013 4:59 AM

This is such an excellent article!
    I think that those of your talented enough to pursue any form of creative art, whether that be writing, performance art or drawing, do come under more criticism for following your dream than those of us who engage in less artistic life choices. I’m a 21 year old medical student in the UK, and it took a lot of work, both curricular and extra-curricular, to get me where I am today. I can’t imagine that I would ever be called narcissistic for putting in so much effort and being proud of my achievements! It makes me so annoyed to think that other intelligent, young women are being labeled as such, just because they’ve chosen to follow a different path in life.
    This is an issue I’d never thought about before, but I am so glad it has been brought to light! It’s articles like this, that make me really proud to call myself a Rookie reader!
    Well done Anna!
    Keep it up
    x

• Lori May 31st, 2013 6:27 AM

I completely agree with this article. Just yesterday my dad was moaning about Mindy Kaling and saying that her TV show was crap, and I was shocked. I think he’s seen maybe a snippet of one episode, and just because she wrote the show and is starring in it herself, he thinks she’s conceited. I doubt he’d be saying anything if she was a male. It was the same when I was freaking out over Girls – he thought after watching one episode that the characters were self-centered and that it was odd that all the male characters were really perfect-looking, and yet the not-so-perfect looking female characters could snatch them up. Like there was an inconsistency there or something, that there was still pressure on the guys to look good. It really frustrates me because I’d never considered him sexist at all, and he always tells my sisters and I that we can accomplish anything. But I just feel like he’s so wrapped up in his ‘masculinity’ and his ‘masculine’ tastes in film and TV etc. that he can’t see how awesome these ladies are. Anyway, rant over… Great post! :)

• Lori May 31st, 2013 6:31 AM

^^^sorry that was so long! But I just remembered, he also moans about how self-centered Beyonce is and how the huge production on her shows doesn’t equal talent. I can’t even… like, has he heard her sing!?! He mentioned about the whole lip-syncing incident and how she has so many demands for her crew and backstage stuff. I dunno… :(

• Sophie ❤ May 31st, 2013 7:01 AM

Very nice article! It was a great read!

• wallflower152 May 31st, 2013 10:06 AM

Another great article. I’ve never really considered this issue but it’s relevant to me as I make things. I Await the Devil’s Coming is now on my ever-growing reading list. The Mindy Project is already on my list of shows to watch. : )

• marie-fantomette May 31st, 2013 11:18 AM

I remember your blog!:)) I think I found it through Tavi’s blog a few years ago and I read through it. Did you have an article that compared a Rodarte collection to a Sonic Youth album? I also remember a certain multi-strand necklace you were wearing that I coveted a lot. Well, I’m sorry you deleted it, although I can understand why, because I relate to the sentiment you described in this article.

• marie-fantomette May 31st, 2013 11:21 AM

Ok, just in case it wasn’t clear: I relate to the sentiment of feeling narcissistic and guilty for it, not to the sentiment of judging others for putting themselves out there.

• Anna F. June 15th, 2013 1:01 PM

Haha yes that was me. Which necklace was it? Did it have wooden birds on it?

• EithyPan May 31st, 2013 11:57 AM

Oh Rookie I cannot believe you were not in my life two years ago. My sentiments exactly.

• Chloe22 May 31st, 2013 2:02 PM

This article is so awesome and relevant! But I think the understanding of narcissism was a bit off. Caring about yourself and doing things just for you are healthy and awesome, and you can’t really be nice to others if you don’t reciprocate with yourself. But narcissism is when you ONLY care about yourself. You’ll do anything (even if it includes hurting others emotionally or physically) just to further yourself. Everything you do is only for you, and you’ll use people and trick them into thinking you like them, even though their just part of one of your ploys.Great article though!

• MabelEnchanted May 31st, 2013 3:08 PM

Agree 100% with this article! I always feel that people ‘hate’ others that love what they do and what they make but really they’re jealous. But then those people are the ones that say you should love what you do. It’s just one hypocritical world.

• loonylizzy May 31st, 2013 10:26 PM

this article is great!! i can totally relate. it pisses me off when girls are criticized for being extremely invested in and proud of their art. if you love what you do, if you’re good at it, what’s wrong with making it known? we shouldn’t be expected to wait for compliments to express our pride and devotion to our creativity. wonderful, well-written piece!

• psychedelic kitten May 31st, 2013 11:56 PM

This article like many articles on Rookie make a lot of vague generalisations about gender!
    “…If you’re a narcissist, I reasoned, that means you’re selfish, superficial, and self-centered—a look you can get away with if you’re a man, by the way. If you’re a guy who makes stuff and you tend to be oblivious to the needs of others because you are obsessed with the inner workings of your own mind, people will call you a genius. A woman with these qualities is more likely to be called crazy, monstrous, an attention whore.”
    This needs context. Men are also called out on self-absorbed dickish behaviour. We shouldn’t, as feminists, (and feminists trying to educate younger girls) be making these wild claims, it will only set us back, and men will resent the fact they have been pigeon holed like this. The key to equality is not demonising the other sex, its working together and recognising we are all the same. All humans contain light and darkness! Sarah x

• Gwendolen June 1st, 2013 9:20 AM

Really fantastic article! I think there needs to be more appreciation and acceptance of narcissism in art. Just look at Facebook, it’s OK to flood other people’s news feeds with pictures of yourself- but oh no! When it comes to saying that I thought my performance the other night was really good and I’m super proud of it- suddenly you’re a bitch.

• valentina-lescontemplatrices June 1st, 2013 9:22 AM

I loved this article! Such an amazing inspiration!! And now I just have to read Mary MacLane’s book, thank you for sharing!!

• indaslicht June 1st, 2013 9:40 AM

people around me know that i’m a narcissist and are not afraid to tell me so but tbh i take it as a compliment

• sherry June 1st, 2013 9:46 AM

it’s such a beautiful article!
    I agree that we should all be proud of what we make even though we get criticized sometimes!

toinfinitynbeyond13.blogspot.hk

• Graciexx June 5th, 2013 11:38 PM

WINNIPEG MANATOBA! please tell me i’m not the only one who pick up on this…

great article :)

• LucyYo June 20th, 2013 11:17 PM

Great article. I know a lot of people whom other people complain of being arrogant, but I never see it. To me, they come off as confident, and I think that’s great!

To me, being a narcissist means you don’t care about your friends or people around you, but how does being introspective or creating your own show mean one doesn’t care about one’s friends?

Besides, people star in their own show ALL THE TIME. Felicia Day stars in The Guild, Tina Fey starred in 30 Rock, Louis C.K., George Lopez, and Amanda Palmer all star in shows on their own creation–with their name in the title! So what? If it’s creative and funny, who cares if it’s about them or about something else?