Movies + TV

I Want It to Be Worth It: An Interview With Emma Watson

We talk to the actor about her new movie, her other movies, and why she keeps 10 (10!) journals at all times.

I know you’re going back to Brown this fall, after taking a couple of years off for work. What made you decide on that school?

A few different things. I really like the fact that it has a very open curriculum, that there aren’t any requirements. Really, I’ve kind of been in charge of my own education since I started out on Potter when I was 9 or 10, and I liked that I could design my own major if I wanted to, and I could take independent studies if I wanted to on subjects that weren’t necessarily in the curriculum. I did an independent study on the psychology and philosophy of how and why we fall in love, which was awesome. [Laughs]

Whoa! Do you know why? Can you tell me?

[Laughs] We’d need like six hours! Opportunities like that, and the idea of classes being pass/fail, make it sound as if you don’t have to work as hard, but it actually gives you the freedom to try out things that you wouldn’t be able to do if you had to get a certain GPA on your transcript. It lets you take classes that you wouldn’t otherwise. And it attracts a certain type of student: [someone] very independent who wants to take responsibility and control of what they’re learning. That really appealed to me as well.

What is a dream project for you? Not just film, necessarily.

Well, there’s different things you get out of different types of projects, and you can’t expect to get everything in one bundle. Perks was really special because I made friends that I’ll probably have for life. With Bling Ring, through learning about the character I learned more about myself. On Noah, I ended up doing months’ worth of research on one scene for the movie. And I got to work with Darren [Aronofsky], who really pushed me to be a better actress. In terms of my next project, I really want to do a romantic comedy. I’ve been looking for the perfect script. I’m getting to the point where I’m like, “I just need to write the damn thing myself,” because it’s so hard to find something that’s original and really funny. But I’d love to do something like that, just because the last two or three movies I did were kind of heavy.

I’m a real director chaser. I really want to work with Danny Boyle or Ang Lee, I’d love to work with Lynne Ramsay, I’d love to work with Tom Hooper, David Fincher—I have this endless list. I’ll do whatever as long as I can be part of someone else’s creative vision, someone who isn’t just creating something as a piece of entertainment, but is genuinely creating a piece of art. Though it’s nice if it’s commercially successful at the same time. [Laughs] I’m big on directors, more than I am about working with particular actors.

Do you think that’s something you’d ever do yourself?

Maybe. I would definitely be interested. I’m obsessed with being very thorough and very in control and very researched, and so I would only do it if I felt like I had enough knowledge. I’d like to produce as well, so we’ll see.

I was reading an interview with Lena Dunham by Miranda July, and they were saying that it’s easier now to work in different mediums and have your body of work be more about your point of view than about honing a particular craft. I guess acting requires a kind of permission from others, and just thinking about your journals, I think it’s great that you have a strong point of view and that you can work in various mediums that let you express it in different ways, and I look forward to seeing all that you do. Aaah! I always feel silly complimenting people who are older than me because it feels condescending!

No, I don’t see it that way at all! That’s a really nice thing to hear. For me it’s about knowing that what I have to say, I really believe in. I’m not gonna put anything out there just for the sake of it. I’m trying to find a really confident artistic voice before I put myself out there, because it’s so easy for people to squash you. I want to make sure that what I make is something I really have the goods to back up.

I think that is what is so special about you and about Lena, is that you’re very young people who already have a very established point of view—you have a strong set of values that you can translate into different art forms. I guess my figuring out who I am and what those values are has become quite diluted, because I’ve just been working so much and been so tied up in being so many other identities that it doesn’t feel as concrete or asestablished yet as I would like it to be. I’m still not quite sure what my message is, what I’m trying to communicate [through my work].

Those other identities have taught you things as well.

Yeah, they have. It’s interesting, because people say things to me like, “It’s really cool that you don’t go out and get drunk all the time and go to clubs,” and I’m just like, I mean, I appreciate that, but I’m kind of an introverted kind of person just by nature, it’s not like a conscious choice that I’m making necessarily. It’s genuinely who I am. Have you seen Quiet by Susan Cain?

It discusses how extraverts in our society are bigged up so much, and if you’re anything other than an extravert you’re made to think there’s something wrong with you. That’s like the story of my life. Coming to realize that about myself was very empowering, because I had felt like Oh my god, there must be something wrong with me, because I don’t want to go out and do what all my friends want to do. Anyway, I just went off on a tangent…

I think we were talking about putting out something you really believe in.

I just feel so uncomfortable with being a Google News article, really with being in the media in any way, that if I have to be in the public eye, I want it to be for something that was worth it. I’m just taking my time over it. It’s building, it’s got some layers. It’s getting there. ♦

1 2 3 4 5

• heartshapedbox May 27th, 2013 3:27 PM

I just freaked out omg.

• Isil May 27th, 2013 3:38 PM

I just don’t know what to do right now. I felt like I’ve just met Emma Watson face to face.

• Ibe. May 27th, 2013 3:41 PM

Zomg zomg zomg I can’t handle this. And Tavi seriously you should watch the movies/read the books. I was also one of these four people till I watched them two weeks ago. And now I am such a fangirl and I have this list with all the locations where they filmed it and it is basically my bucket list right now and I watched every set interview on youtube. You will love it!

x Ibe
    maddemoisellerossele.blogspot.com

• silvermist May 27th, 2013 3:49 PM

I still havent read this but omg i’m dead

• Jessica Vixenelle May 27th, 2013 3:50 PM

Tavi I caNNOT?

• Juli May 27th, 2013 3:54 PM

Whaaaat. I can’t believe I’m reading this right now. Thank you. Thank you.

• The Malteser May 27th, 2013 3:59 PM

Yay! Emma Watson! She has been my heroine since she began in the Harry Potter films. She is so confident and comfortable in herself, and is a great role model for all girls growing up and figuring themselves out.

Thank you Rookie for this amazing interview! Tavi, you don’t know how jealous I am of you right now…

toespointedheadheldhigh.wordpress.com

• whatever May 27th, 2013 4:00 PM

OH MY GOD I AM DYING THIS IS THE BEST THING I HAVE EVER READ ZOMGGMGMMGGGGG . thank you so much

★~(◡‿◕✿)

• Tihana May 27th, 2013 4:01 PM

I just love Emma so much! She seems like such an amazing human being.

• GlitterKitty May 27th, 2013 4:03 PM

OMG OMG OMG it’s Emma Watson. She’s so amazing. I haven’t finished reading the article yet but OMG this is amazing.

• Mary the freak May 27th, 2013 4:05 PM

I haven’t read it completely yet BUT EMMA WATSON ON ROOKIE OOOOOOHMYGOD!! SHE’S THE BEST!!! I can’t handle this. ♥♥♥

• sophiethewitch May 27th, 2013 4:05 PM

I know I keep asking questions here that don’t have to do with the post, and I’m really sorry, but I’ve been thinking about this for a while and I have to suggest it: have you tried to get an interview with Courtney Love? Because you seem to be having a lot of success with getting interviews with really awesome, and also quite famous and busy people, and, I mean, COURTNEY LOVE.

• kati May 28th, 2013 12:03 AM

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAASEEEEE!!!!

• whatever May 28th, 2013 9:52 AM

YE SYE YSYYEYSYSYEYESYESYEYEYSYSYSYSYESSSSS

• StellaBerlin May 28th, 2013 10:00 PM

um please please please please please

• wishfulwanderer May 27th, 2013 4:11 PM

When I was reading this, my dad flipped through the channels and started watching Harry Potter…
    Emma Watson and who she actually is (revealed in this interview) vs. the character of Hermione that we’ve all come to know her as is mind blowing.

• RhiaSnape May 27th, 2013 4:16 PM

aghgjguhsrildkjnmgdiukfjm I love emma so fricking much. She’s so real and her intelligence and originality just shines through her answers – I only wish that I could see the interview and hear her speak the words! I admit, that I am one of those huge, annoying harry potter fans who always related to Hermione as a child – but I really respect how Emma’s creating herself as an actress with this new light and these new idea’s and I’m so excited to see everything that she does in the future.

• eliselbv May 27th, 2013 4:21 PM

AAAAhhh this is just the exact definition of perfection !I admire Emma Watson & Tavi so much this is unreal!

• WitchesRave May 27th, 2013 4:23 PM

AHH!! you are such an inspirational creative and educated young women!!! Thank you soo much for being in the film industry! Cant wait to see the movie…

witches-rave.tumblr.com

• ellamccartney May 27th, 2013 4:25 PM

YESSSSSSSSSSSSYESSSYESSSSSSSS♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ she is great

• LittleMissE May 27th, 2013 4:26 PM

This interview is amazing. I was absolutely giddy when I saw that Tavi had done an interview with Emma Watson, and it totally lived up to all my expectations. I have always looked up to Emma Watson, starting with the Harry Potter series and through her work with fashion and photo shoots and Perks. She’s amazing, honest, inspiring, and so talented, and I can’t wait to see more of her work.

• Mattie May 27th, 2013 4:27 PM

Your best interview yet. I’m definitely going to start keeping more journals because I feel like it will help me sort out my thoughts (and my life). I also really liked when you talked about introverts and extraverts which made me wonder what I am. I think I’m a mixture, is that possible? I also really liked how you two talked about creative messages and it made me think about what mine is, is it possible to have more than one, or is it better to keep a centered mindset? Thank you for this article, it really made me reevaluate a lot of things. I needed this. xx

• Izzy Fordham May 28th, 2013 7:27 AM

Yeah, in the book Emma mentions (which is also amazing, read it), it says there are ambiverts :)

• eliza dolittle May 27th, 2013 4:30 PM

holy crap balls tavi! this interview is absolutely fantastic and just feels like a casual and interesting conversation aaaah i hope you enjoyed it!!

her research project about love sounds so cool holy frick

• mangachic May 27th, 2013 4:31 PM

I BASICALLY STOPPED BREATHING FOR FIVE MINUTES AND STARTED TEARING UP
    TAVI AND EMMA WATSON IN THE SAME ROOM TALKING
    This was so beautiful and relatable, and it’s so honest and lovely to hear that she’s an introvert.

• GabbyCat May 27th, 2013 4:38 PM

This may just be my favorite article ever published on Rookie, and its definitly the most thoughtful interview I’ve ever read. Emma Watson is just so honest and articulate, it makes me want to be her best friend. Thank you so much, Rookie.

• Sefe May 27th, 2013 4:42 PM

The best part about this is that you two really did seem like you were having an actual conversation about life! I love the bit about the extraverts. Also, its wonderful to get some insight into the perspectives of people I admire and read such interesting interviews, so thank you Rookie :).

• whodatgal May 27th, 2013 4:48 PM

oh em geeeee!

Emma Watson and Tavi in one omg waoah hey stahp hfjdssdfgs you guys rule, you guys rock, you don’t drool (just decided to rhyme it cause hey why not)…

you guys are the best
    Ophelia xoxo

• flocha May 27th, 2013 4:48 PM

Agdhdhej I can’t believe this exists. I loved hearing about her journaling, and how cool and introverted she is.

• Jasmine May 27th, 2013 4:50 PM

This is perfect <3

• HollieLillian May 27th, 2013 5:21 PM

I saw that she followed you [tavi] on twitter the other day and i was like oh that is cool, & now it makes sense! I love that this gives such an insight to her, I’ve watched/read 1000000 interviews of hers before and this is by far the most interesting! When she mentioned the book with things people have said to her I knew she was going to mention helena bonham carter (she is my heroine). It must be so awesome to meet people like that.

• eremiomania May 27th, 2013 5:25 PM

Emma Watson is even more amazing than I thought she was! I’m very surprised to hear she is an introvert, considering her fame at such a young age. It’s actually very encouraging.

• sixthgun May 27th, 2013 5:49 PM

Ahh, I can’t believe it! Emma is brilliant, thank you for this interview! I hope it makes to yearbook year two, it’s definitely one of my favourites :D Ha, it’s very nice to see that she’s just like one of us, just a girl figuring herself out. Fame, man. Such a scary shit. It totally makes us forget that she’s only 23 and a HUMAN BEING. And what a beautiful and interesting human being! haha

• Chloe22 May 27th, 2013 6:04 PM

I read the third book and watched the movies. My mom was obsessed with them when they came out, and she tried to get me to read them. I was a lot younger, so they seemed daunting to me! And now I feel like I’d be seen as being ”too late to the fandom”. Maybe I should just read the darned books!

• irismonster May 27th, 2013 6:07 PM

Urgh, this just makes me want to be best friends with both of you.

• Isabellla May 27th, 2013 6:08 PM

ahhhh so happy with this article! Thank you Tavi and thank you Emma!

• KatGirl May 27th, 2013 6:26 PM

awesome that she is so famous and an introvert like me <3

• theycallmebones May 27th, 2013 6:28 PM

her last three responses were so refreshing. i’m quite an introverted person and have always thought something was wrong with me because i never wanted to do some of the things my friends do. i’m glad i’m not the only one!

• LeavesThatAreGreen May 27th, 2013 6:36 PM

This is amazing. It is such a nice interview and I love how it’s partially more like a conversation than an actual interview. Emma Watson seems like a really interesting and intelligent person.

“Blue” is one of my favourite records of all times. Just wow.

• catpower44 May 27th, 2013 7:04 PM

Oh my god she is so awesome! She’s such an inspiration, I love how she keeps journals! I can barely keep one going, let alone ten! I want to see Bling Ring so much, it sounds so interesting and cool! Emma, you are super amazing, and I loved you so much in Perks of Being a Wallflower, I will admit to crying multiple times!

• azultardis May 27th, 2013 7:16 PM

wow great interview,Emma and Tavi are such an inspiration for me, and this interview just confirms how great they are, how hard is for everyone grow up and find yourself even when you’re 22 or 23 and you’re still figuring everything out!

• Abby May 27th, 2013 8:15 PM

OMG YESSSS. Also I was really proud of myself when I had already read that high school article!

• stellariver May 27th, 2013 8:48 PM

SO AMAZING i love Emma Watson so much, she has been my idol since forever. cannot wait for bling ring!! Pretty Wild is my worst guilty pleasure, I feel like a horrible person but it makes me so happy.

• umi May 27th, 2013 10:30 PM

if it makes you happy,you shouldnt feel guilty about it #goddesslife

• Wisteria May 27th, 2013 10:15 PM

OMG How

• Milala May 27th, 2013 10:28 PM

you both are so ugh everything that is great in the world, awesome interview

• umi May 27th, 2013 10:29 PM

emm A WATSON SKAKDHDHK i’m justg??

she is amazing just amazing and i love her forever

• goodgodlemon May 27th, 2013 10:31 PM

I’m having trouble articulating why this interview is so amazing but I feel completely rejuvenated after reading it and just kind of like my faith in humanity is restored . . . Thank you for being such intelligent, introspective people, Tavi and Emma. This is by far the most interesting and honest celebrity interview I’ve ever read.

• chloegrey May 28th, 2013 2:38 AM

this though, my thoughts exactly :)

• Breen May 27th, 2013 10:53 PM

Two of my favorite people! Ever!
    I love this interview so much. I feel like I’ve been waiting for this forever. Thank you so much for doing this. Emma seems so normal. Seriously, I want to be best friends with her.

• madame_addie May 27th, 2013 11:10 PM

oh my god this is too awesome <3

• Zelda May 27th, 2013 11:38 PM

This is the most MAGICAL thing I have ever read!!!!!!!!!!! J’adore :)

• A Beautiful Tragic May 28th, 2013 12:02 AM

I’m freaking out like there’s no tomorrow. I should be using caps lock but I am not because I forgot how to feel. EMMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

• kati May 28th, 2013 12:04 AM

This was amazing!

• Jen L. May 28th, 2013 12:09 AM

I feel like I could string an entire metaphorical neckless out of all the pearls of wisdom in this article!

… Aaand I need sleep.

Haha thank you Tavi!

• alesssurprise May 28th, 2013 12:16 AM

tAVI
    This is. the. best

• rhymeswithcat May 28th, 2013 12:17 AM

I’ve never read the HP books/watched the movies either–for the exact same reason. I’ve always felt so alone in the world about the fact until now, Tavi. I mean, my college has a quidditch team instead of football for crying out loud! So much opportunity for feeling left out.

• Hunter May 28th, 2013 2:39 AM

OK. Interview Alexis next.

• chloegrey May 28th, 2013 2:42 AM

wow um the best thing about this though is it is such an insightful interview?! I mean Tavi I really enjoy reading the interviews here but I particularly enjoy this because it’s just two really wise young ladies talking about things that everyone goes through but also things that definitely not everyone goes through and THAT is really, really interesting. I dunno this whole interview was just such a pleasure to read how lovely

• Angeline . May 28th, 2013 3:17 AM

Oh gosh, this is so incredible and lovely and wonderful and aahhhh… I am simply in awe right now. I didn’t think I could love Emma Watson more but this interview just established that I can.

Her journals sound amazing and so fascinating. I can relate to her feelings about them and identities.

And I love hearing that she’s an introvert. I’ve really embraced my introversion over the last couple of months but there’s definitely been times when I wished I could just be more like my cousins or friends. There’s definitely nothing wrong with being an extrovert, it’s just really hard sometimes when introverts are constantly being looked over. Sometimes I like to just listen but high school is hard when you have to speak up every single time to be seen and heard. And I just went off on a tangent…

Anyway, to wrap things up, what an incredible interview and such an honour to read. Thanks Tavi!

• monalisa May 28th, 2013 5:03 AM

I’m just so happy that two amazing people sat down and had a conversation about amazing interesting wonderful cool things with cats and banana bread and you respect and admire each other and you are both amazing people I respect and admire so much and to think that this wonderful thing occurred makes me so happy and GAHGAHZOMG

thankyou so so so so so so much

apapillon.blogspot.com

• marie-fantomette May 28th, 2013 6:03 AM

This is perfect. Tavi, you are a great interviewer. I teared up a little while reading. The two of you are so thoughtful and so humble and so very interesting, and … is there a way for me to say that I look forward to the things you will be doing in the future without sounding like a raving fan who adds to the pressure of celebrity that you guys have been discussing in this interview?

Thank you so much for this.

• Nomali May 28th, 2013 6:41 AM

I LOVE her! I have Perks and Bling Ring on my must-watch list. Really great interview, Tavi. It’s given me an idea!

SHE BAKES BANANA BREAD!!!

• Lillypod May 28th, 2013 6:49 AM

I loved Quiet by Susan Cain. amazing awesome book. Great interview.

• Dick May 28th, 2013 7:10 AM

I respect and love Emma on whole other level.

• Tara A. May 28th, 2013 7:42 AM

THIS IS AMAZING OMG I literally screeched when I saw that Rookie had done an interview with Emma Watson. This is an absolutely amazing interview. I especially love the bits about her journals, they sound so interesting!

• Zoe May 28th, 2013 7:48 AM

She is so insanely wonderful. I love this interview. It’s so awesome when a genuinely interesting and intelligent person interviews another genuinely interesting and intelligent person. Lovelovelove

• Emmie May 28th, 2013 7:59 AM

I love her even more now! Such a good interview- she seems so intelligent and friendly! xx

• sissiLOL May 28th, 2013 8:17 AM

OMG!!!!!
    Emma Watson and Tavi in one article! I LOVE it! :-DDDD
    Stylebruch.blogspot.de

• trassel May 28th, 2013 8:59 AM

Once I wrote to Emma Watson. I drew a picture of her and wrote a letter. I don’t really know why I did it but months later when I had already forgotten about all of it I got a reply of sorts with a standard letter and a signed photograph. That was cool.

• neenbean May 28th, 2013 11:53 AM

One of the best interviews on Rookie so far! Emma Watson is so likeable and actually pretty damn talented, props to her for everything she does <3

• allydoubleyou May 28th, 2013 11:59 AM

Okay, Tavi, I feel like I shouldn’t give you advice because you’re much, like, cooler than I’ll ever be, but I just really need to say this. You really need to devote a lot of your gap year to reading Harry Potter. There is a reason everyone loves it and it’s because HP will CHANGE YOUR LIFE it’s so gooooooooood and funny and heartwarming and just, like, social justicey and stuff okay bye.

• Maddy May 28th, 2013 10:08 PM

She’s taking a gap year? How do you know? Between HS and college? Tavi, is this a thing? If that is a thing, good idea you on that thing.

• Tavi May 28th, 2013 10:13 PM

troooo

• Maddy May 28th, 2013 10:17 PM

thas kool
          i think i need a gap year between now and my research paper’s due date

• Nomali June 5th, 2013 7:11 AM

And Potterheads are really great people this http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/dumbledore+wouldn't+let+this+happen made me want to cry and start a secret club for good the first time I saw it. Also, Mean Girls + HP Mash-ups are about the best things about the internet.

• Erin. May 28th, 2013 12:39 PM

Awesome interview. One of the (many) great things about Emma is that she’s a smart and reflective person in real life and she’s able to bring these aspects of herself in her acting. You can see that she really thinks about the parts that she’s playing, and that she works very hard to give the best possible performance. Like, she legitimately cares about acting and movies as a craft, an art form, and not just basic entertainment. I hope I’m not sounding too cheesy or robotic or something in this comment. Me and Emma are the same age, so I kinda feel like we grew up together, in some weird way. Like I’ve been rooting for her like a friend would. (But not in a stalker-ish way.) Now I’m rambling. Anyways, Emma is awesome.

• abby111039 May 28th, 2013 12:52 PM

This is awesome. Emma is just so wonderful as a person and as an actress, and I felt this interview reflected that all, while still being genuine and engaging. Lovely.

• luanda jabur May 28th, 2013 1:49 PM

First, amazing interview Tavi, I think Emma puts it really well when comparing you to Lena, I feel the same way, that some people discover soon who they are and can do amazing jobs with the confidence that it brings (not that in other areas of your life it’s all roses, but professionally I mean).
    A funny thing is that I was born same day as Emma, read the Potter’s books and loved them, loved Perks, but never identify with her till now. I can relate in so many ways that I’m grateful that I can read this in Rookie, again, thanks… This magazine means a lot to my personal growth.

• snow white May 28th, 2013 1:55 PM

It’s so awesome to read articles about young movie actresses we can all relate to. Emma is definitely doing something right! You can definitely tell this interview is so raw and real. Really hits you that actresses are real people like us with different struggles and obstacles. They all don’t live that glamorous and worry free life we think they all do! Also great job Tavi for an excellent and real interview!

Prince Repeller

• cloudinthesky May 28th, 2013 2:11 PM

SO MUCH LOVE! ♥

• ruby May 28th, 2013 2:37 PM

Such a good interview!
    But…seriously Tavi, read the Harry Potter books! And watch the films!!! There is a Harry-shaped hole in your life!

• tove May 28th, 2013 3:03 PM

Okay, so I can’t read it right now because I have a huge essay to write for tomorrow but OH MY GOD. I’m not going to say anything new here: I love, love, love Emma for being such a wonderful inspiration for young women. She’s been a part of my childhood. Now I can’t wait to see her grow.

• nox May 28th, 2013 3:11 PM

This is unreal. Thank you so much for this Tavi, I feel like I know Emma a lot better. She is an inspiration, I love the way she holds herself.

• loonylizzy May 28th, 2013 3:57 PM

ok i’m literally crying. i admire emma watson so much, and this is the first interview with her that i’ve read that has really made me realize that there is so much more to her than harry potter. she’s one of the most talented and genuine actresses out there. i didn’t think my admiration for emma could grow any more, but it just doubled! thank you so much for this article, it was incredibly inspiring and beautiful.

• HollyMargaret May 28th, 2013 4:29 PM

WOAH!!
    EMMA WATSON!!!
    Tavi, this is amazing!!! :-)

• Maddy May 28th, 2013 4:49 PM

Somehow I had a suspicion that Emma Watson would be a writer. And I have no doubt that she/you is/are really good. Hmm maybe I should apply to Brown now? But downtown Providence…

• AliceS May 28th, 2013 6:02 PM

I thought I couldn’t love Emma more.

• Sophie ❤ May 28th, 2013 6:46 PM

OMG ROOKIE, THANK YOU SO MUCH! Emma was always one of my icons, but now I really can’t say that Emma doesn’t inspire me more than ever. I loved this post, and it was by far the best in a while!

Sophie

• galaxia May 28th, 2013 7:32 PM

omg i love her

• galaxia May 28th, 2013 7:34 PM

and Tavi, you need to see HP! you’re gonna love it trust me i didn’t really mind about it until the las movie came out and now i love it.

• laughinguacamole May 28th, 2013 11:53 PM

Wow. Emma Watson is pretty much just awesome. She’s such a badass. I’m sort of in love with this interview. I’m so excited, someday I’ll just come across a random poem or piece of art or something and it’s GOING TO BE UNDERCOVER EMMA WATSON. I’m ready.

• ella dl May 29th, 2013 2:13 AM

My love for Emma just grew exponentially after reading this article. So much love and respect for her and what she believes in.

• diniada13 May 29th, 2013 6:20 AM

2 OF MY FAV PEOPLE IN THE WORLD IN ONE ARTICLE THIS IS TOO MUCH I CAN’T HANDLE IT AHH

Tavi you should totally read Harry Potter. I’m not gonna go on about how life-changing it is because it’s different for everyone, but it’s a really great book. It brings up childhood memories for me, since I was little it was my dream to get my Hogwarts letter and do magic stuffs. The characters grow along with the books and you get attached to them. Also peer pressure is great.

And this is rather out of topic but Stephen Chbosky: http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j333/countess4/i-did-my-waiting-gif.gif

• Diana Morais May 29th, 2013 8:35 AM

I was so absorbed! Brilliant article! xx

• Cosmo Beatrix May 29th, 2013 9:37 AM

It’c comforting to know that the feeling of closing up and being numb as if you’re not a genuine person is felt by hugely successful women too.

The journelling sounds like a brilliant way to realising and projecting yourself in order to really find who that person is.
    Even though I don’t know whether there is or ever will be a certain person waiting to come out and be me. It’s weird how we’re constantly waiting for this to happen and pushing it through different ways.

Thank you for this, and i agree with Emma it’s really great to have in like almost a conversation where both people, who are equally as interesting, bounce off one another.

Charlie xoo

• Cosmo Beatrix May 29th, 2013 9:38 AM

sorry but this Stephen Fry quote kept coming to me whilst reading this!

The image to me . . . is gold does exist, and for ‘gold’ say ‘truth’, say ‘the answer’, say ‘love’, say ‘justice’, say anything: it does exist. But the only way in this world you can achieve gold is to be incredibly intelligent about geology, to learn what mankind has learnt, to learn where it might lie, and then break your fingers and blister your skin in digging for it, and then sweat and sweat in a forge, and smelt it. And you will have gold, but you will never have it by closing your eyes and wishing for it. No angel will lean out of the bar of heaven and drop down sheets of gold for you. And we live in a society in which people believe they will. But the real answer, that there is gold, and that all you have to do is try and understand the world enough to get down into the muck of it, and you will have it, you will have truth, you will have justice, you will have understanding, but not by wishing for it.

• Tavi May 30th, 2013 2:42 AM

Oh wow. Thank you for sharing that.

• HaverchuckForPresident May 29th, 2013 4:06 PM

Really interesting interview :) I’ve only ever heard celebrities boasting about how ‘normal’ they are rather than talking about the struggle to stay ‘normal’ for themselves and their friends. I think that it can be easy to overlook the fact that often celebrities like Emma Watson don’t really have a choice when it comes to paparazzi, etc

• JadedRomantic May 30th, 2013 2:53 AM

A british newspaper named “The Sun” used quotes from this article! The sun is a shit tabloid and the quality of their journalism is sub par at best, but it’s still pretty cool that they used quotes from this interview. Idk if that happens often or not, but it seemed pretty cool to me

Here’s the link: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/4947042/emma-watson-i-feel-inadequate.html

• CharlieTwonear May 30th, 2013 4:30 AM

Wow. I just couldn’t resist saying . something about this wonderful article! I am so HAPPY that this happened and that I was priveledged enough for it to grace my eyes. Not to mention, being the 100th comment is strangely tempting for me because of physchological reasons that I couldn’t possibly begin to describe or even fully understand.

It’s been a while since I’ve read much of anything. At least, in it’s entirity. Save for a few articles here and there. Ironically, but not surprisingly, my lack of reading dates as far back as the last Harry Potter novel by J. K. Rowling. Ahah, listen to me … Of course you all know who wrote the amazing story that made ALL OF THIS possible! Obviously it wasn’t the last thing I’d ever read.. Or.. Perhaps it was? My memory seems to be a little hazy. It would be tough to put my memories in chronological order… Emma is blessed in that sense… A lot of her life has been recorded from such a very young age. Whereas I, like most others, do not have much record of my life events. It’s almost as though to the vast majority of the world, It’s e never existed at all! A few photographs. Well, basic schoolwork, I suppose… Which well over 90% of would prove to be boring, uninteresting documents. Forgettable things. Emma shouldn’t feel too bad (about constantly being in the “public eye.”) She is opposite. Unforgettable. She is infinite! Haha! :)

Oh no… Prolonged writing time… I fear 100th comment is lost by now!
    Speaking of tangents… Haha, I almost forgot what I was trying to say entirely!

Oh yes:
    Romantic Comedy?

CHALLENGE. ACCEPTED.
    ;)

• CharlieTwonear May 30th, 2013 4:36 AM

Damn, that was supposed to be under the display name ‘CharlieTwonear’ … But … But … I see my real name! Oh no! I have been vanquished. Ah well. Tomfoolery and trickery if you ask me. Either way, I stand by what I said. Haha. *runs away*

• Cynthia May 30th, 2013 5:03 AM

This was so so brilliant! And when I saw a post about this in my Facebook newsfeed 3 days ago it made me like the happiest person ever! (and it took me 3 days to read it because I had TWO assignments due this week and I started reading it on Tuesday (I stayed home because I have an awful cold) and I had an assignment due that day but I got a doctors certificate so I got away with handing it in in Wednesday and then I had an assignment due today and I went to sleep just a bit before 4:00am. School sucks with all these assessments)

But the point is that I just finished reading this and it was truly amazing, and it’s so awesome that you got to meet EMMA WATSON. Ravi you really must read the Harry Potter books, it’ll be the best decision you’ll ever make and soon enough you’ll be a PotterHead and soon enough you’ll be joining other British fandoms *cough*likeDoctorWho*cough* and you won’t ever regret joining the Harry Potter fandom. Sirius-ly, youve got to start reading the Harry Potter books as soon as possible- Harry, Ron and Hermoine will soon become your best friends, and that will be brilliant. :D

• crapbag May 30th, 2013 5:19 AM

Wow for about 0.3345 of a second I was able to see Emma as like a ‘normal’ girl, like someone who goes to university ..like me! It’s actually so incredibly hard to really understand that famous people are just normal human beings. Like I can’t get my head around it. But for a second there I did! I saw a glimpse of it, before it unwrapped itself from ma brain cords there and I slipped back into ignorance. I wrote about her in article I had to do for school a couple years back but was pretty indifferent toward her. But she seems really genuine, it’s nice.

• moonflower May 30th, 2013 11:52 AM

Wow, this got me thinking about going back into the folder I made last year, its titled ‘Sophia Coppola’ and its basically a load of notes on ideas I had for scenes for films and what songs would play along it, haha.

• vvk97 May 30th, 2013 1:17 PM

MY two favorite people in one article! ahh! After this interview, I appreciate Emma even more than I already did. Her vision is brilliant!

• MabelEnchanted May 30th, 2013 6:22 PM

Emma Watson has never been my favourite person. I always found her to be phony. However, this interview made me realise how wrong I was! She’s so clever and down to earth. I can’t wait to see The Bling Ring, not only for Emma’s performance, but also for Sofia Coppola.

• spudzine May 31st, 2013 12:49 AM

This is probably one of the best things Rookie has ever done. I am serious. I have always loved Emma Watson, and I have always been disappointed in the fact that I knew nothing about her. Reading this interview, I felt like she was TALKING to me, and she’s such a down to earth person and I just…UGH I LOVE HER SO MUCH MORE NOW.

• Filia-Zissy May 31st, 2013 8:42 AM

I haven’t been an actor-crazy person until lately and therefore I know very little about the person who gave my childhood heroine a face.
    It was really fascinatingto read this interview because most things I read about Emma were ABOUT her and what she’s doing and not her thoughts and feelings. Like some others have already said: it felt like she talked to us in person. It didn’t feel like you’re reading an interview with a star at all. Just an interview with a really fascinating person. And I loved that is was not a bit about Harry Potter, which even sounds weird for me right now that I’m writing it, because I’m such a Potterhead. I loved it, because it was about Perks which was just the right book at the right time for me. That Emma keeps so many diaries is so cool because I have a tendancy in doing that too. And I liked what she said about extraverts. All “so damn relatable”…

• lauraunicorns May 31st, 2013 8:25 PM

I honestly think that if I could pick any living people to have tea with and talk to for a day, it would be these two. And Rookie interviews are always so genuine – I feel almost like I’ve talked to the person after reading them. They’re so real and relatable, as is the lovely Emma Watson!

lauraunicorns.tumblr.com

• Ysabelle June 3rd, 2013 2:12 AM

After reading the entire thing, it was thoroughly refreshing to view Emma as a person entirely different than what she portrays as an actress. I quite liked seeing things in her perspective and knowing that she’s complex and really committed to her craft.

Also, I have to commend you for this is probably the most honest interview I have read in my entire life. As an aspiring journalist, I admire that it has somehow turned into a conversation of sorts — intellectual and stimulating — between two inspiring people.

• Serena Head June 3rd, 2013 2:39 AM

Emma Watson!!? I can’t contain my excitement….

• Joyce June 9th, 2013 10:06 AM

Tavi, we trust you on this! please PLEASE read the HP series now! fadhwkjhd

• agirlawhirl June 18th, 2013 6:08 PM

This was an excellent article and with a crisp, fresh sense of genuine honesty. Truly a refreshing read.
    And, I think it is great that you had not yet read/watched the Harry Potter books/movies yet, since that might have limited your perspective of Emma. As good as Ms. Watson was in the HP films, it is with her post-HP projects that she has blossomed creatively. I feel that Emma Watson is finally coming into her own as an a creative force and dramatic actress–outside of the role of Hermione Granger.

• RedInk June 27th, 2013 6:52 PM

I thought I was the only one who hasn’t read or watched The Harry Potter Series!

• runitss July 8th, 2013 11:30 PM

I idolize Emma Watson! She’s my number one girl-crush & I’ve been following her career ever since the end of Harry Potter. This is such a great interview. It shows a side of her that isn’t usually captured in other interviews. Tavi, you’re super-rad/the bomb/totally wicked mad awesome & you handled this perfectly. Oh my god. EEEEK! Love.

• Hedwig July 19th, 2013 9:46 PM

I’ve been so entranced by Emma and her interviews for so many years. It is so nice to hear her being so open and smart and beautiful.

• Elvenoelle July 21st, 2013 1:31 PM

What a nice article to begin a Sunday afternoon. It is really refreshing to read a sort of interview that isn’t forced, and an honestly inspiring one at that. It helps to remind one that everybody goes through the same insecurities to some extent. It helped to answer some questions that have been going through my mind. Thank you, and if you get the chance, please thank Emma for me.

(Also, looking up the Blue album, it is very nice and has provided calming back music to my reading.)

• dessertstealer August 12th, 2013 11:47 AM

Emma Watson is a good role model for smart girls. I look forward to seeing her in the Bling Ring.

• unicorninapartyhat August 28th, 2013 1:29 AM

Wow, Emma Watson is immensely cool.

• sincerely artista September 7th, 2013 11:32 PM

OMG! Emma Watson is SO COOL! She is so normal and cool and SMART OMG! (Coming from a fan girl who read all 7 HPs in 2 weeks and seen all 8 movies, read the Perks book and saw the movie and is SO looking forward to The Bling Ring!)
    This article is AMAZING! At first when I saw the article I couldn’t believe it was true, but it WAS!! I am gonna send this to nearly everybody I know b/c this is AMAZING!

• September 16th, 2013 12:57 PM

Fantastic items from you, man. I’ve be aware your stuff previous to and you’re just too great. I actually like what you have bought right here, certainly like what you’re stating and the way by which you say it. You are making it enjoyable and you continue to care for to stay it wise. I cant wait to learn far more from you. That is really a great web site.