Sex + Love

The Complete Guide to Kissing

Smooch unto others as you would have them smooch unto you.

So we know the basics. Great! We’re kissing! (Not with each other.) It’s fun! Hopefully! But sometimes it isn’t, and even more very experienced kissers, things don’t always go smoothly. So now it’s time for:

Kiss Troubleshooting

Bad breath: So you want to kiss someone, and they want to kiss you, and you lean in, and they lean in, and…oh wow. WOW. This person has HORRIBLE breath. I mean the kind that is so terrible that you can almost see it hanging in the air. What do you do?

Welllll…how much do you want to kiss this person? Is this a first kiss with someone you’ve had a crush on for ages? Is this your boyfriend of three months? What’s the situation here?

It’s obvs up to you, but I would say, if you really, really want to kiss this person, and you’ve never kissed them before, you might want to go for it. Just this once! Of course, this is only if you like them enough to deal with this unfortunate situation in the hopes that next time will be a bit…mintier. A gross, but hopefully worthy, sacrifice.

But if you know this person a little bit better than that, you can totally say, “Hey, do you want some gum?”

This can be embarrassing for the poor girl/guy, though, so try this trick: If you suspect kissing might happen at any point when you’re out with someone, you cannot go wrong by putting gum or mints in your pocket and offering your date one while chomping on one yourself, before kissing ever has a chance to happen. Act like you just always eat mints, and it’s super-natural to offer one to her/him.

And of course if it just doesn’t seem worth it, at the moment you become alerted to the situation, when your lips are close to theirs, you are well within your rights to retreat and say vaguely, “You know what, this just doesn’t feel right.”

(And if you’re on the other end of this, please don’t be ashamed. Bad breath is easily treatable and not a reflection on your character. If you brush and floss regularly, didn’t just eat a bunch of onions and garlic, and you don’t smoke, ask your dentist and/or your regular doctor to help you figure out what’s going on. Nip the problem in the bud—isn’t it worth it if it means MORE KISSING?)

Slobbering: You’re kissing, you’re frenching, and…your date thinks it’s his or her mission in life to swab your entire mouth with their tongue. To them, a sexy kiss is the wettest, sloppiest one possible. They are licking your lips, the inside of your mouth, they may even (yes) lick your face. WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON THIS IS TERRIBLE SOMEONE HELP.

Slobbering is dreadful and often inflicted by someone who really really really wants to kiss but has very little experience doing so. They’re trying to make the kiss really sexy, and for some reason they think this is the best way to do so. They are wrong. They must be stopped immediately. Here’s how:

1. Pull away from the slobberer.
  2. Assuming you like this slobberer, smile.
  3. Say, “I like kissing you really softly, like this.”
  4. Then demonstrate what feels nice to you. Kiss him or her very gently, throwing in a little bit of tongue, but WAY LESS than they were using with you.
  5. Pull away. Smile. (You are so friendly and encouraging and not at all humiliating!)
  6. Then lean in to give them another chance. Your partner (if they are not stupid) should immediately try to emulate what you just did. If the new kiss shows marked improvement, congratulations! There’s hope. If, however, the new kiss is just as bad as—or worse than—the original slobbery kiss…I’m so sorry, hunnybun, but this person might not be ready for the hotness of your kisses.

(Unless, of course, sloppy kisses are your jam. Who knows? Everyone likes different things.)

Oddly aggressive kissing: You’re kissing, you’re frenching, and…your date has totally taken over. They’re kissing you really aggressively, maybe grabbing the back of your head hard, shoving their tongue in your mouth and pushing it around. Their teeth actually touched your teeth, and you didn’t like it. Meanwhile, you are clearly not matching their level of forcefulness and…gusto. This person is totally disregarding your body language, which is communicating that you are not really into this kind of kissing at all.

One thing you can do here, if you’re really uncomfortable, is to put a total stop to the proceedings, go home, and watch Downton Abbey. You can try again some other time if you feel like it, but maybe you won’t, and that’s just fine.

But if you want to keep kissing them, but not in the way where you feel like you’re being mauled by a bear, try these steps:

1. Stop kissing your partner immediately, and pull away from her/him.
  2. Give them a surprised/confused look, and then slowly and carefully begin kissing them again. You can put a hand right under their collarbone as a signal that you want them to stay on their side of this kiss rather than tackle you. Your hand is resting there, not actually pushing them away. (If you’re continually physically pushing someone away and they keep ignoring it, this is worse than a bad kiss. It’s coercion, it’s force, and the only positive thing about it is that it lets you know right away that this is not a person you want to be involved with.)

If this beast still isn’t getting your message, stop again, explain to them how you want to be kissed, and demonstrate this preference on their mouth. This is their last chance: if this doesn’t fix the problem, take your leave. Go find someone else to kiss. Kissing is supposed to be fun, you guys!

Now, like I said, maybe none of this advice applies to you. Maybe you have your own idiosyncratic kissing technique; that’s awesome, since knowing what you like in terms of kissing will help you figure out what you like sexually for the rest of your life. Maybe you’re the girl who LOVES the feeling of a slack wet tongue resting in your mouth like a dead squid. Again, congratulations; you have a jump-start on knowing yourself.

My point is that there’s no “right” way to kiss. There’s only what you like, and what your kissing partner likes, and whether and how you two match up. Wait until you’re really and truly ready, and then—and not a moment sooner—get out there and practice. ♦

1 2 3

• alylee April 3rd, 2013 3:13 PM

With my current boyfriend we definitely could use all of this advice… but then we got so comfortable together that now we make it a competition to be a worse horrible kisser than the other.

• lizzyheinie April 3rd, 2013 9:49 PM

Wait, that is the cutest/funniest thing ever and I love that. I’m totally pulling that on the next guy I get serious with. Rookie is the best.

• Blythe April 4th, 2013 3:45 AM

That is seriously one of the most adorable things I have ever heard.

• Kailley Anders April 6th, 2013 10:04 PM

My boyfriend and I do the same thing! We’re not the only ones! Huzzah!

• rosiesayrelax April 3rd, 2013 3:15 PM

Omygosh, it feels like I have waited a lifetime for a how to kiss. I mean, literally every magazine I read as a teen (I am still a teen, so I don’t know why I sound so nostalgic) was filled with “how do I kiss a boy” and blah blah blah, and the only answer they got was, “when you know you know” or “it’s instinctive”. Finally, a frank answer. Now just to find someone to practise on…

• Arabelle April 3rd, 2013 3:27 PM

i wanna kiss your face for writing such a perfect adorable article about kissing i love you krista

• michelle vassar April 7th, 2013 10:15 AM

i get this!!!!! haha!!

• faithdarwin April 3rd, 2013 3:32 PM

True story: I just had my first kiss this weekend. (It’s worth noting that I’m 21, so if you’re a teenager and feeling like you’re weird for never having been kissed, don’t worry about it). It was so unexpected and abrupt! I may or may not have gone to my computer immediately afterwards and googled “how to make out.”

• Abby April 3rd, 2013 3:56 PM

18-year-old kiss virgin over here. GUYS I WANT A FIRST KISS GODDAMN IT SOMEONE MAKE OUT WITH ME.

• littlebirdmo April 3rd, 2013 6:33 PM

I FEEL YOU

• Kaetlebugg April 3rd, 2013 9:47 PM

THIS ARTICLE. <3 that is all I have to say. (well that and I absolutely love the specificity and detail that, as other commentors have pointed out, is usually missing in the far inferior articles on the topic).

• Roz G. April 4th, 2013 12:10 AM

don’t worry I got my first kiss at 18 ;)
      it was… awkward hahahaha I had NO idea what to do with my mouth but I liked the guy so much I felt so comfortble blushing and apologizing about it being told that there was nothing to apologize for and well I’ve been with the give 5 months now and it’s been amazing growing to learn what he likes and what I like and more importantly what we like together.
      Don’t dispair :)

• Miarele April 4th, 2013 5:06 AM

GURRRL. I’m turning 20 this month and a total kiss virgin too and I’ve actually been thinking about it A LOT lately so when this article comes out I’m a little bit shocked by the irony.

I feel you. Let’s all hold a prayer circle together.

• Morning Moon April 4th, 2013 8:44 PM

SAMEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

• thefilmrookie April 3rd, 2013 4:03 PM

PRAISE YOU KRISTA!!!!

• hellorose April 3rd, 2013 4:06 PM

my first kiss was with my first ever boyfriend when i was 15/16. the very first kiss was very much of the gentle super nervous type. about half an hour later we were sitting on a park bench tamely making out. it was then i realised that he was REALLY into tongue. it was like being kissed by a hyperactive puppy. afterwards i called my friend and told her that maybe i didn’t really like kissing at all.

later on in the relationship, when i was a bit more comfortable with him and with kissing, i tried the ‘i like it when we kiss gently, like this’ thing, even the ‘don’t do anything with your mouth and i will just kiss you, don’t move’ thing (which is quite mean), but to no avail. a friend of mine hooked up with him recently and confirmed the puppy likeness – nearly 7 years later and nothing’s changed! happily, although i rate him as one of the worst kissers i’ve encountered, his girlfriend after me said he was an amazing kisser so it just goes to show that everyone likes different things. our relationship didn’t last long for other reasons, though we are still good friends, but maybe there was a clue in the kiss.

• rottedteeth April 3rd, 2013 4:16 PM

Where was this article when I was having my first kiss? Would’ve saved me from nose bumps and a slimy chin.
    Thought you’d cover love bites though

• MoniMonster April 3rd, 2013 4:27 PM

Mmmmmh Kissing…

Like this: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=343742859070402&set=pb.267668720011150.-2207520000.1365020669&type=3&theater ;)

• Miarele April 4th, 2013 5:09 AM

wow did you draw that? it’s amazing, I love the subtle details and the colors! :)

• Taryn Aline April 3rd, 2013 4:50 PM

Finally something that doesn’t say that kissing is something that you naturally know how to do.
    Hur, hur, hur.
    This was great and cute and I almost choked on my cake icing at least 3 times from giggling and squealing.

• maxrey April 3rd, 2013 5:03 PM

Oh gosh, this is a great article and advice I wish I had known when I first started kissing. Just don’t get drunk first, you guys. You’ll always look back on it and feel a little ridiculous that you can barely remember your first kiss.

Also, if at first you don’t succeed, laugh it off, and try try again!

• vatfp April 5th, 2013 6:59 PM

The ‘dont get drunk first’ is great advice indeed. You’re not alone there my friend, hahaha

• talaria April 3rd, 2013 5:03 PM

Guys, I just wanna let y’all know that my first kiss was when I was 23, and I panicked so much that I have blacked the majority of it out. Then my kissee allowed me to halt proceedings, pull back, and start over. So basically. Don’t even worry about it!

• Moxx April 3rd, 2013 5:10 PM

“the feeling of a slack wet tongue resting in your mouth like a dead squid”

I am actually eating fried squid right now pls stop ahahaahaa

• Lydia Jane April 3rd, 2013 5:21 PM

Krista: thank you thank you thank you for this article!! You’re officially my hero (and this article could not have come at a better time). I’m a 17-year-old ~kiss virgin~, probably mostly because I’ve always been terrified of doing it wrong. Reading this (and the comments) made me feel 50000% more relieved and much less embarrassed, haha. Stay fabulous x

• soviet_kitsch April 3rd, 2013 6:17 PM

don’t worry about it. my first kiss happened a few months ago, two weeks before i turned 17. i had a little crush on the dude and i asked if i could kiss him, and i was so exhilarated that when we were talking afterwards my heart was POUNDING and i was shaking lmao. it turned out to be from a totally unexpected guy, so don’t lose hope. it’ll happen for you and as long as you go slow and gentle you pretty much can’t do it wrong <3

• kathryn-s April 3rd, 2013 8:58 PM

I am also a 17-year-old kiss virgin but my reason is that I can hardly stand most of the boys at my little school. SOMEONE JUST MAKE OUT WITH ME ALREADY UGHHGHH

• Jean. April 3rd, 2013 5:46 PM

What about glasses? What if you’re kissing someone who also wears glasses? What if you take your glasses off and they’re like “ew i don’t want to kiss you anymore”?

• maxrey April 3rd, 2013 6:17 PM

Glasses don’t usually get in the way.

And if he says “ew” then he doesn’t deserve to be kissing you anyway!

• Becky S April 3rd, 2013 9:31 PM

1) Glasses don’t get in the way, MOST of the time. But if you’re moving around a lot while kissing (e.g. changing head tilt directions), a few smudges are par for the course.

2) If you both wear glasses, you’ll probably clink them together at some point – and people tend to either love the clink, or hate it.

I can’t afford to replace my glasses if they get bumped out of alignment or otherwise damaged, so if I know >1 kiss is coming, I typically take them off first.

3) If they like you with glasses on but not with them off, they’re not worth kissing! Your glasses are a medical device (unless they’re hipster glasses but that’s another story) and you have the right to deploy them as YOU deem necessary.

• Alltomorrowsparties April 3rd, 2013 11:42 PM

My boyfriend and I both have big ol’ Buddy Holly glasses. It was hilarious when we first kissed, they definitely got in the way, so I (CAREFULLY) took his off. Turned out it was a huge turn-on. Add a sly smile & don’t crunch them between your bodies while youre gettin into it and you’re good to go!

• Blythe April 4th, 2013 3:47 AM

Mine never got in the way, but my ex and I were never really the makey-outey type.
      Plus my glasses are fairly small, rectangular things that don’t really get in the way of anything.
      (Plus he thought they were hot which I found more amusing than anything else.)

• billie April 3rd, 2013 5:47 PM

This article is soooo helpful! I had my first kiss when I was ninteen, but I don’t think I count it because it wasn’t consensual. I was at a bar with my friend and a random guy came up and shoved his mouth on mine and it was awful!

My real first kiss came a few months later when I was twenty and it was so much better! Pretty much exactly like a mix of the kisses described in the article.

• Tyknos93 April 3rd, 2013 6:03 PM

I just want this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z8C0y0XenM

• Morning Moon April 4th, 2013 8:47 PM

We all want!!!!!!! I’ve always imagined my first kiss like this :)

• Hannah April 3rd, 2013 6:57 PM

Does anyone have tips on how to implement lip biting into said kissing session?

• wudder April 3rd, 2013 10:30 PM

i have only ever done this successfully with a boy who i have probably spent more than a month kissing cumulatively, so we really knew our ways around each others mouths. i tried it once with someone else and there was a lost of teeth clicking involved :s i think you have to be going really slow, and one time i was like HEY WAIT STOP I WANNA BITE YOUR LIP NOW!! and it wasn’t awkward and it was fun and lip biting occurred after that

• lxmldrt April 3rd, 2013 7:30 PM

PEOPLE WHO SLOBBER WHILE KISSING ARE TOTALLY MY JAM

• mrsfigg April 3rd, 2013 8:31 PM

if you were drunk at a party with your same-sex best friend (I’m hetero) who pecked you on the lips, does that count as a first kiss?

• Abby April 4th, 2013 8:46 PM

Only if you want it to :)… One girl I know had a few drunken make outs, but she still counts her first kiss as when she kissed her now-boyfriend (while sober) lol.

• Galadriel April 3rd, 2013 8:38 PM

My first kiss when I was 13 was awful, but I did everything I THOUGHT I was supposed to and I was so scared! I was like “…That’s it? That’s what kissing is going to be like forever?” I never wanted to kiss again! Luckily, I’m a good kisser and got over that.

• plushy1222 April 3rd, 2013 9:36 PM

Even though i’m 18 and have had my fair share of kisses in the past, this was still really helpful to me. It’s never too late to improve your kissing skills!

• finnfloats April 3rd, 2013 9:51 PM

My best friend had her first kiss at her birthday last weekend; the girl I like just suddenly leaned it and kissed her (turned out, it was a dare). Later, my other friend dared ME to play Seven Minutes in Heaven with my crush, but I got into the closet (been there once before, didn’t like it very much xD)with her and started laughing. *facepalm* Well, I guess my first kiss can wait.

• Amanda Gomez April 3rd, 2013 10:02 PM

My first kiss was a few months ago. (Guy was a jerk and now I know that, but…) It was really awkward and only lasted a few seconds. I peeked through my eyelashes and found his eyes open. Freaked me out so I pulled away…. yeah……..

• tangratoe April 3rd, 2013 10:08 PM

This came at the perfect time, thank you so much :P

• laurajane April 3rd, 2013 11:46 PM

HOLY GOOD TIMING I’M SWOONING REALLY HARD RIGHT NOW I SHOULD SLEEP

• kellie April 4th, 2013 12:14 AM

This is insanely good. Thank you, thank you, Krista.
    I was ‘dating’ a boy last year and sadly, had to lie and tell him “I don’t like PDA” to get him to stop kissing me hello/goodbye because it was just THAT BAD.
    I wish I could have linked him this article!

• Blythe April 4th, 2013 3:49 AM

I wish this had been around when I was dating my first (and only) boyfriend. I could have been like, “Hey! Let’s try using our tongues! This could be an Interesting New Experience and I read an article on it and everything!”

• Grenade April 4th, 2013 4:54 AM

I intentionally made my first kiss horrible. The guy who kisses me was much older and I got kind of scared so I figured that if I shove my tounge into his mouth really agressivly, he’d understand I was too young and he’d stop. It tasted bad, his moustache scratched my face and he didn’t stop despite my horrible kissing. I pretended his tounge was an alien creature that my tounge had to kill in order to save the world. Really yucky, I should have just said No in the first place

• Miarele April 4th, 2013 5:03 AM

haha Krista I’ve always loved your honest straightforward writing style. And I sing my praises to Rookie because only you guys would delve into a topic like this in detail. …Now all I need is someone to kiss. Yep. :|

PS: don’t want to be the grammar snob to point it out or anything, but is “hearr” i paragraph 5 supposed to be “heart”?

• Anaheed April 4th, 2013 5:15 AM

Ha! You’re not a grammar snob — that was me doing a great job correcting what was a totally different typo w/ that word. Thanks — I’ll try to get it right this time.

• Mary the freak April 4th, 2013 8:47 AM

you deserve about all the kisses in the world like ever (totally platonic ones!) for this article!! really awesome!

• Julia April 4th, 2013 9:03 AM

hay dere rookie, just a quick question if anyone sees this – on the little theme sidebar on the side the submissions address is listed as submission@rookiemag.com but if you go to the actual submissions page (linked from the sidebar) the address is submissions@rookiemag.com :(

• Anaheed April 4th, 2013 9:09 AM

They both go to the same place :)

• Moili April 4th, 2013 9:08 AM

Under step 2 of Oddly Agressive Kissing I thought it said “If this breast still isn’t getting your massage.” I think you all can imagine my surprise at that moment.

• MabelEnchanted April 4th, 2013 9:11 AM

Kissing virgin also over here!
    This was so weirdly detailed but very helpful..haha
    Time to get practising…

• wallflower152 April 4th, 2013 10:28 AM

I like all the stories in the comments. Kiss virgin until 17 and I thought I was a freak. And even then my first kiss was a dare with a guy friend. My second kiss came a month or so later with this dude I liked. I was so nervous I was shaking and he noticed and I was embarrassed haha so awkward to think about. But he was a good kisser so I just followed his lead and I think it went well haha. Crazy kiss story: I was kinda with this guy who was crazy handsome and had great hair…he was a horrible kisser and one time he sucked on my upper lip so hard it got SUPER swollen like literally doubled in size. I didn’t even know that was possible. Cute kiss story: my current bf well we were good friends for like five years before we got together and we liked each other for like four months without anything happening except hanging out everyday until 4am. I guess he was testing the waters cuz we started holding hands then he kissed my hand then a few days later my cheek then a few days later he kissed my cheek and then pecked my cheek then all over my cheeks and forehead slowly making his way to my mouth. <3

PS This article is really awkward to read at work. :P

• Dino April 4th, 2013 12:16 PM

Ahhh thankyouthankyouthankyou!!!!!!!! I’m 17 and just got my first REAL boyfriend and we are both SUPER SHY and we awkawardly kissed really quickly about 2 weeks ago. Krista you are a lifesaver! Finally someone has enlightened me thoroughly!! :) So into the kissing-mission-field I go!

• ___ellarose April 4th, 2013 5:39 PM

Loved this article!!!!!! THANKYOU:) oh gosh.. my first french was TERRIBLE this dude stuck his tongue so fast and deep into my mouth i almost choked! FOR REAL.

• poetess April 4th, 2013 8:15 PM

Krista, seriously, thank you so much for this. I am on the verge of crying, I am SO grateful for this.
    (Melodramatic? Yes. Going on a second date tomorrow night? Also yes :D )

• kati April 4th, 2013 8:51 PM

Oddly aggressive kissing is totally my jam :D

• sequoia April 4th, 2013 10:03 PM

i wanna kiss now (▰˘◡˘▰) ahh

• AriaZia April 5th, 2013 1:23 AM

Ugh I didn’t have my first kiss until I was 17 and from the time I was 12-17 all I could think about was the fact that I was the ONLY one who was a kiss virgin. Rationally, I knew that wasn’t true but when you feel like that, no matter what people keep telling you, you just feel so singled out. That’s the way it was for me anyway.

• A Fox In The Snow April 5th, 2013 10:32 AM

Aww, thank you for this article! Even my friends haven’t given me such a detailed guide (“it just happens” — yup)
    I’m also so glad that there’s no-one besides me in this room, since I’ve been doing all the lip and tongue things while reading the article oops.

• Sunshine April 5th, 2013 10:42 AM

Blehhhh I wish my first kiss would have been with someone I actually cared about. I had my first kiss in 8th grade with a boy I was dating just to say I had a boyfriend because I was tired of being that girl who had never dated before. I sincerely wish somebody would have grabbed my arm and said “hey, guess what, chica? you don’t need to have a boyfriend to have fun in middle school.’”

• Yani April 6th, 2013 1:54 AM

Straight after kissing a guy for the first time, he pulled away after the second kiss and said ‘you kiss just like my mother’ and walked away. Then months later when I kissed someone for real I knew that really he was the unconfident kisser.
    Great article.
    Saddest is the kiss at the very end of a relationship on the cheek.

• kendallkh April 6th, 2013 3:48 PM

sometimes it’s genuinely frightening how perfectly timed rookie posts are

• Kriemhild Gretchen April 7th, 2013 1:40 AM

I think it would make more sense to use “them” as a gender neutral pronoun instead of “him/her”

• Anosha April 8th, 2013 6:49 AM

I dont like kissing- I like everything else but when someone kisses my lips I tend to make it last as short as possible. I find it kinda disgusting. I really want to enjoy kissing how can I? x

• Wisteria April 9th, 2013 12:57 AM

I used to obsessively worry about my level of experience until the day I realized that if a guy I really like had never kissed anyone before I wouldn’t give a shit, in fact, I wouldn’t even think about it. Now I don’t care anymore.

• Nikilodeon April 14th, 2013 9:06 PM

this is perfect! i’ve been curious about how to do this for so long!! thank you!

• Viki GG April 18th, 2013 9:37 AM

:) really cute kissing tutorial. I wish I had read it 10 years ago! It makes sense still anyway… and the Want / Should chapter is a must!!! Good job

• Kelsey April 21st, 2013 1:09 PM

I literally just had my first kiss two days ago (I’m 14) and while it was totally awesome and I really like the guy I was kissing, my lips were SO CHAPPED YOU DON’T EVEN KNOW. But otherwise, it was basically like a movie: we were at the creek by my house, and I asked if he wanted to kiss me. He said yeah, and BAM. Milestone reached, level up.

• Paige Griggs May 4th, 2013 12:41 PM

this is super helpful, thank you. I was so eager to have my first kiss that I did it with someone I didn’t know, and it was…bad. I thought kissing meant to have a make out session and I just kinda flopped my tongue around in this guys mouth, and then I pulled away because it was not enjoyable. He said, “try using a little less tongue next time. Wanna try again?” I said no thanks. So, he was sweet, but whenever I see him at school I get nervous because we don’t even talk and I kissed the guy, but Im too self conscious to talk to him. From now on I plan on kissing someone that I have an interest in and where I can actually really see what they look like, and someone that likes me too. I rushed into my first kiss, but I learned from it. I often think about my next one though, and who it will be with, and if we will have more than one, and if he will be the guy I hope he is. It’s hard being patient though. But then again when Im actually in the moment, I realize that I am willing to be patient. its nice to know so many people relate though :)

• ERICKAX May 23rd, 2013 10:05 AM

My boyfriend has a small mouth and he doesnt open it enough or even use his tongue. I have to physically force my tongue down his neck while restraining him. He moves his mouth like a fish.

also, I dont know if I really like him. I only slept with him once and I was really drunk at the time. I only remember handing him the condom at the start.

Am I normal? I often think about other men and I dont want to put all of this effort in teaching him how to kiss when I may leave him anyway.

• swegan June 18th, 2013 12:55 AM

OH MY GOD THIS ARTICLE I <3 IT SO MUCH I was giggling throughout the whole thing.

And also partly being jealous because I dated a guy for a year and we never got past the intro kiss. That was partly my parents being all "you can't be alone with him EVAR" and partly our lack of communication- I only found out just recently he thought I never wanted to make out, and here I was the whole time thinking HE never wanted to make out. It's a very sad story.

My first kiss, though (yes it was with this boyfriend) was like omg so perfect and under a tree at night in the summer and a total surprise and just AAAHHHH so at least there's that.

Off to university next year… this article will hopefully get to come in handy. I JUST WANT TO MAKE OUT WITH CUTE SMART BOYS AHHH.

• lemonadelagoon June 21st, 2013 4:42 PM

I absolutely loved this article! I’m 18 and I haven’t had my first kiss yet, but I really love this boy and I have a feeling it’ll happen soon.

• allie.x July 28th, 2013 1:04 PM

Think you nailed it with this advice. Well at least it seems it’s worked for me as the guy I made out with last night said “That’s the best kiss I’ve had in ages.”. I’m telling myself he was being honest, either way I felt pretty good about it!

• lucylu July 31st, 2013 1:30 AM

I wish I had this a week ago! although my first kiss wasn’t too bad, I just didn’t know what to do so I kinda freaked out when he stuck his tongue in my mouth. ‘sall good now